So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

Post by Botman »

TL;DR

I've thought about it too, until i see some runs on the board, **** him
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:30 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:24 pm
-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:23 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
Round 8, Peej. I'm gonna be good up until then, I promise.
So if we are 0-7 you'll be ok ?!

Sweet.
Nope... because then it'll be Round 8.
6 weeks of you being nice to Ricky..we'll take it !!
7 actually. Fair dinkum, I'm not sure why this is so complicated for you all to understand!
Nah mate, if you lose it at 0-7 that’s 6 weeks by your own count.
Sid wrote:you need a hashtag

#manillstickwithrickman?
Is the man ill because he stuck with rickman? Image
Beejay
John Ferguson

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

Post by Beejay »

I still think we are one decent middle short. I think we will miss Paulo and his carry’s. However if the defence can be significantly improved off the back of the change of dynamic and squad then it will be a net positive.

I’m very sceptical of CNK, and I don’t think we have a first grade standard fullback outside of Rapana. So that’s a big problem.

Rick shouldn’t be getting the chance to fix it, but he is, so I hope he can deliver this year. I hope our middle is dynamic, our defence fast and strong, and CNK is a revelation at fullback.
Last edited by Beejay on February 18, 2019, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the BOTD to start 2019

Post by -PJ- »

LP Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:27 pm
-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:35 pm
LP Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:22 pm Sunday 17th March 0750pm, order will be restored.
There's no such time as 0750pm mate...
It's not the time yet a cryptic message.
I understand.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Beejay wrote: February 18, 2019, 6:19 pm I still think we are one decent middle short. I think we will miss Paulo and his carry’s. However if the defence can be significantly improved off the back of the change of dynamic and squad then it will be a net positive.

I’m very sceptical of CNK, and I don’t think we have a first grade standard fullback outside of Rapana. So that’s a big problem.

Rick shouldn’t be getting the chance to fix it, but he is, so I hope he can deliver this year. I hope our middle is dynamic, our defence fast and strong, and CNK is a revelation at fullback.
He looked the most dangerous fullback in the trial after only 1.5 weeks with us. At least give him some time.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the BOTD to start 2019

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:40 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:25 pm
bonehead wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:14 pm it's "debacle" Cueball

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It absolutely is **** not, Sommers.
Yes it is.
No it isn't.
he started it

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We'll finish tenth again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I could see this coming in November...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: February 18, 2019, 7:34 pm We'll finish tenth again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
STRIKE 3 MARGE
We're going to sneak into the 8, this EDIT coach will get extended.
Though granted we could come 10th and he'd still get extended.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:40 pm - letting Blake "hey look at me" Austin go. Was clearly not a team player and no one person is bigger than the team

- letting Paulo and Boyd go. I feel our forward pack will be greatly improved this season with more mobility and less lumbering giants throwing cut-out passes over the wingers' heads

- Wighton into the halves. I wasn't sure about this idea at first, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. Hopefully it works. A Wighton/Sezer halves combination, if they combine well, could be genuinely first class.

- the focus on defence. I know we hear this every year, but if the team had truly improved their defence and game management, they could have easily been top 4 the last two seasons.

- the new recruits. I think we've recruited quite astutely again, those two pommy blokes look the goods and hopefully the young kiwi lad with two dads can develop into a top class fullback. Alternatively he can't, there's always Rapana to return.

- the addition of Michael Ennis to the coaching staff. Comes across as a very astute mind to me, and if he can help out game management and improve Hodgo's game by even 5%, it's a HUGE get.
I agree that all of these are very positive points for season 2019.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Theres doubt remaining for him to be given the benefit of? News to me.
I do think hes made a couple of good decisions going into this season, namely jack to 5/8. But im hardly going to praise a guy for choosing wighton ahead of williams
Dont delete this GE
Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Manbush wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:12 pm The team itself has my benefit of the doubt as new members and combos, I expect them to challenge for and make the 8 but that’s the players not the coach.
Wait... so if we make the 8 it’s all the players doing, but if we don’t then it’s all the coaches doing?
That logic doesn’t stack up.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’m very concerned about the halves combo.

Wighton’s a victim of his overall talent and ability to competently play almost anywhere, but he has only really looked world class at Centre, which we continue to ignore.

His first stint at 5/8th was a fail. I can’t get excited about his second one coming up. He’s a more mature footballer, he’ll at least stiffen the defence but how long will it take for him to become comfortable adjusting to the new position, especially after a long lay off?

Sezer still hasn’t managed to convince me. Every excuse has been thrown around. First it was Austin’s fault, then Hodgson’s, then Williams’... I’m pretty sure at one point someone even blamed Bugarelli.

Apart from that... moving on a slug like Junior Paulo, giving up on Austin who refused to defend and making Hodgson co-captain are all smart moves.

I’m tipping us to improve, but not threaten for the premiership.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Van Der Stick has a plan. We just need to have some god damn faith!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m concerned we are a fullback and big boppa short of a good team.

God help us if we suffer some injuries, we are pretty thin at prop and in the outside backs.

I’m still hoping a week 3 trade for someone who isn’t making their starting team might open up for us.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Braddrew wrote: February 18, 2019, 9:29 pm
Manbush wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:12 pm The team itself has my benefit of the doubt as new members and combos, I expect them to challenge for and make the 8 but that’s the players not the coach.
Wait... so if we make the 8 it’s all the players doing, but if we don’t then it’s all the coaches doing?
That logic doesn’t stack up.
Where did I say that?

In my opinion we have the cattle to be a top 8 team with average coaching it’ll take more than just that for Stuart to be praised and if they don’t make it it’s on both the players and the coach.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I think the optimism bias here - and I'm looking at you, Nickman - is in equal parts entertaining and deeply delusional.

Can Ricky jag us a finals run? It's not impossible. But let's be honest here - there's something deeply rotten at the Raiders, and all the scrape-into-eight finishes in the world aren't going to change that.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I truly believe the back end of the finals and one and done season is exactly what we’re about to get served up

Nothing could be more raiders than to get a bit lucky, jag a finals spot and use that as validation that everything is fine
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Stuart's Win/Loss record and 1/5 finals appearances would have meant the sack at literally any other club. I like him as a personality and legend of the club, he does great things off the field, but it is a mystery to me how he is seemingly under no pressure given his recency weighted coaching record. Of course, I will be hoping for a great season like everyone else (it would be great to have a consistent season of staying in the top 6, for once) - but I don't think Stuart has it in him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah have to agree with that. Most off seasons most teams strengthen their position but this year seems strange to me. I can actually see some of last years top 8 regressing.

Sharks lose a lot with Holmes, Lewis, Ramien leaving and Graham being out. Johnson is a great addition but cannot make up for those losses.

Right the Storm off at your peril but they simply have to drop a little. Slater proved me completely wrong last year and played like the champion he is. Munster while fantastic tends to drift in and out of games though maybe the extra responsibility will make him more consistent. Smith for the first time in his career suffered a few injuries last year, serious long term ones IMO. His understudy is talented but as much as it pains me to admit Cam is one of the greatest ever.

Warriors now have a rookie half, and still have a dud coach. Leeson is a great buy but can RTS and Luke (especially) repeat last season's form.

Will be interesting to see how Souths and Broncos respond to the coach swap. Call me a sad sack but I'd take as much pleasure from Broncos missing the 8 as Raiders making the 8.
Saints have a spud of a coach but should still make the 8 unless the JDB incident destabilise the club, along with Norman. New club may bring the best of him. Panthers have too good a roster not to be in the running and the Roosters are favourites for a good reason.

Of the bottom 8 knights are the most likely to climb. Tigers are toppled to improve but they overachieved last year and I don't see how they improve much with a largely unchanged roster. Titans have a rookie coach and is where careers go to die.
So 'short story long' there just smells like a weaker comp this year, ready for us to fall into the 8. I bet the board has the contract extension ready to go.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Everybody expects the Raiders to go bad this year, which usually means we go well.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

yeh raiders wrote: February 18, 2019, 9:33 pm I’m very concerned about the halves combo.

Wighton’s a victim of his overall talent and ability to competently play almost anywhere, but he has only really looked world class at Centre, which we continue to ignore.

His first stint at 5/8th was a fail. I can’t get excited about his second one coming up. He’s a more mature footballer, he’ll at least stiffen the defence but how long will it take for him to become comfortable adjusting to the new position, especially after a long lay off?
This sums things up very well, Wighton IMO is a dumb footballer, some of his decision making on the field (lets leave off field stuff to another day) is really really poor. Moving him to 5/8 with Sezer will probably make us one of the most impotent attacks in the NRL. Really can't see this working out.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The problem is we know what Williams offers and it aint much at NRL level.

At least Wighton will improve the defence of the line.If Sezer and Hodgo handle the playmaking, it's an improvement.

It's still not great, but better than it was.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Wiki Special wrote: February 18, 2019, 8:07 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:40 pm - letting Blake "hey look at me" Austin go. Was clearly not a team player and no one person is bigger than the team

- letting Paulo and Boyd go. I feel our forward pack will be greatly improved this season with more mobility and less lumbering giants throwing cut-out passes over the wingers' heads

- Wighton into the halves. I wasn't sure about this idea at first, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. Hopefully it works. A Wighton/Sezer halves combination, if they combine well, could be genuinely first class.

- the focus on defence. I know we hear this every year, but if the team had truly improved their defence and game management, they could have easily been top 4 the last two seasons.

- the new recruits. I think we've recruited quite astutely again, those two pommy blokes look the goods and hopefully the young kiwi lad with two dads can develop into a top class fullback. Alternatively he can't, there's always Rapana to return.

- the addition of Michael Ennis to the coaching staff. Comes across as a very astute mind to me, and if he can help out game management and improve Hodgo's game by even 5%, it's a HUGE get.
I agree that all of these are very positive points for season 2019.
I was using these points as my source of optimism as well -

Then he named a Shute Shield squad for our first trial and let the Mounties coach look after it. It made me wonder how much he has actually learnt. Now Im not sure how much of the above is just window dressing.... Time will tell.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Riaan wrote: February 19, 2019, 1:46 pm
yeh raiders wrote: February 18, 2019, 9:33 pm I’m very concerned about the halves combo.

This sums things up very well, Wighton IMO is a dumb footballer, some of his decision making on the field (lets leave off field stuff to another day) is really really poor. Moving him to 5/8 with Sezer will probably make us one of the most impotent attacks in the NRL. Really can't see this working out.
What specifically was poor about Wighton's decision making last year? I thought he was excellent and as far as fullbacks go he was creating more tries for others than pretty much any other fullback.

I think he will go fine but he is up against it to not be a scapegoat as he will have his game dissected more than any other player.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

At least with Wighton we know he'll stop blokes straight up..

There'll be none of this rubbish Austin dished up.

Run the ball and make your tackles Jack..and stay outta Civic.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Not sure how anyone can be optimistic about this year tbh. How's our squad any stronger than last year? Agree losing Paulo and Boyd is a godsend. Never rated either. Still look very thin up front though. Reality is a 32 yr old journeyman will most likely be 1 of our starting props. No one really knows how Wighton will go at 5/8. That's the truth. I hope he goes well and think he can but it could take a while. Fullback an unknown quantity at this stage. Very little depth. Far more questions than answers. No expectations no disappointments.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hazza wrote: February 19, 2019, 3:24 pm Not sure how anyone can be optimistic about this year tbh. How's our squad any stronger than last year? Agree losing Paulo and Boyd is a godsend. Never rated either. Still look very thin up front though. Reality is a 32 yr old journeyman will most likely be 1 of our starting props. No one really knows how Wighton will go at 5/8. That's the truth. I hope he goes well and think he can but it could take a while. Fullback an unknown quantity at this stage. Very little depth. Far more questions than answers. No expectations no disappointments.
I am not confident but I think at least we are trying something a bit different vs just the same thing as the year before. I think that's usually the only way we end up getting results.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

edwahu wrote: February 19, 2019, 3:28 pm
Hazza wrote: February 19, 2019, 3:24 pm Not sure how anyone can be optimistic about this year tbh. How's our squad any stronger than last year? Agree losing Paulo and Boyd is a godsend. Never rated either. Still look very thin up front though. Reality is a 32 yr old journeyman will most likely be 1 of our starting props. No one really knows how Wighton will go at 5/8. That's the truth. I hope he goes well and think he can but it could take a while. Fullback an unknown quantity at this stage. Very little depth. Far more questions than answers. No expectations no disappointments.
I am not confident but I think at least we are trying something a bit different vs just the same thing as the year before. I think that's usually the only way we end up getting results.
Indeed. Agree with that
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I honestly dont see how people think losing paulo is a good thing? A good thing would have been to have had a coach who would have correctly used the impact he offers.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was happy to lose one of the big fellas
Losing both feels like it’s going to be hard to overcome
But given what those guys got paid, I honestly can’t fault Stuart for letting them walk
That’s irresponsible to pay those dudes 600-700k a year imo
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: February 19, 2019, 4:04 pm I honestly dont see how people think losing paulo is a good thing? A good thing would have been to have had a coach who would have correctly used the impact he offers.
Could probably say the same thing about Blake Austin too, though.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I would've preferred Boyd to stay over Paulo. The latter just can't defend for 30 minutes without getting lazy at marker, Boyd was much better in that regard.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

He's already on borrowed time. The first sign that we aren't headed in the right direction I'll be calling for his head.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote: February 19, 2019, 4:04 pm I honestly dont see how people think losing paulo is a good thing? A good thing would have been to have had a coach who would have correctly used the impact he offers.
So on the flip side you think it would have been a good idea to re-sign him for 700k? Those are origin forward figures and he'd have to improve a lot on his 2018 effort and hope for some injuries to grab an origin spot.