So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start 2019

Post by The Nickman »

Ok, so I'll preface this by saying I realise I've been one of Stuart's most outspoken critics over the last 12 months after the absolutely disgusting debarkles that were 2017 and 2018. But it's a new year and there's new hope, and I honestly believe most of the moves across the off-season have been positive, such as:

- letting Blake "hey look at me" Austin go. Was clearly not a team player and no one person is bigger than the team

- letting Paulo and Boyd go. I feel our forward pack will be greatly improved this season with more mobility and less lumbering giants throwing cut-out passes over the wingers' heads

- Wighton into the halves. I wasn't sure about this idea at first, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. Hopefully it works. A Wighton/Sezer halves combination, if they combine well, could be genuinely first class.

- the focus on defence. I know we hear this every year, but if the team had truly improved their defence and game management, they could have easily been top 4 the last two seasons.

- the new recruits. I think we've recruited quite astutely again, those two pommy blokes look the goods and hopefully the young kiwi lad with two dads can develop into a top class fullback. Alternatively he can't, there's always Rapana to return.

- the addition of Michael Ennis to the coaching staff. Comes across as a very astute mind to me, and if he can help out game management and improve Hodgo's game by even 5%, it's a HUGE get.

So considering these points, I've decided I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start the season, and am going to lay off the over the top criticism. All the pieces are in place, and hopefully the squad starts well and finally plays the football we know they're capable of. Having said all that though, if by about Round 8 it's just more of the same old ****, expect me to absolutely come down on the coaching staff like a tonne of bricks. If we see the same old problems plaguing the team in season 2019, surely Stuart has to go.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the BOTD to start 2019

Post by T_R »

Im sure that will be a great relief to him.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Re: So I've thought about it, and I'm prepared to give Stuart the BOTD to start 2019

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:47 pm Im sure that will be a great relief to him.
I'd assume so, although he's stopped answering my calls.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It must of been the photo you saw of me and him on Friday Night.

I get a sense after talking to some players on Friday Night that the squad are very well prepared to have a good year.
But I’ve learnt not to get excited at all

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:04 pm It must of been the photo you saw of me and him on Friday Night.

I get a sense after talking to some players on Friday Night that the squad are very well prepared to have a good year.
But I’ve learnt not to get excited at all

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yeah, you got me Brew, it was ABSOLUTELY the photo of you and Stuart that knocked me over the edge.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

it's "debacle" Cueball

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Just called ricky to get his feedback on this. He immediately hung up on me. He called back shortly after:

"Sorry mate did you say Pickman?"
"No, Nickman".
*Hangs up*
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Sunday 17th March 0750pm, order will be restored.
WorkChoice
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:14 pm it's "debacle" Cueball

It absolutely is **** not, Sommers.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I feel the same way, but in reality what other choice do we have? IMO he will see out his full contract here even if he got the spoon this year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:26 pm I feel the same way, but in reality what other choice do we have? IMO he will see out his full contract here even if he got the spoon this year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I just feel that there's a positive vibe about everything they've done this off season and I REALLY hope it translates through to success on the field.

I can't stomach another year like 2017 and 2018... I just, I just can't.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm numb and don't know what our squad will throw at us..

All those points above that Nickman has raised gets us all excited...again..

Then I think, it's the Raiders...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Sorry Nickman, I can’t join you brother.

I’m so tired of all the spin and the sales we get this way every year because we love the club and we have short memories as a collective. But I just won’t support the guy and his infinite arrogance.

I hope he proves me wrong and makes me love watching the raiders again... but I will be extremely surprised if he ever does anything useful during the rest of his tenure
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

LP Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:22 pm Sunday 17th March 0750pm, order will be restored.
There's no such time as 0750pm mate...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:25 pm

Yes it is.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:47 pm Im sure that will be a great relief to him.
:)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:40 pm

Yes it is.
No it isn't.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

He’s lost the right to the benefit of the doubt but I’m happy for him to win me over.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:49 pm He’s lost the right to the benefit of the doubt but I’m happy for him to win me over.
God, you're all so negative!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Name change? Nickman becomes Rickman?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

you need a hashtag to counteract the #flickstick movement, that'll get the people on board

#illstickwithstick

admittedly not as good but it's a start

#manillstickwithrickman?
Last edited by Sid on February 18, 2019, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kiwi raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:10 pm Name change? Nickman becomes Rickman?
I like it!

GE, make it happen!
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The team itself has my benefit of the doubt as new members and combos, I expect them to challenge for and make the 8 but that’s the players not the coach.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I dont know, Ricky talked a lot about defense, are we sure he wasnt actually talking to defence? It is Canberra after all
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:40 pm Ok, so I'll preface this by saying I realise I've been one of Stuart's most outspoken critics over the last 12 months after the absolutely disgusting debarkles that were 2017 and 2018. But it's a new year and there's new hope, and I honestly believe most of the moves across the off-season have been positive, such as:

- letting Blake "hey look at me" Austin go. Was clearly not a team player and no one person is bigger than the team

- letting Paulo and Boyd go. I feel our forward pack will be greatly improved this season with more mobility and less lumbering giants throwing cut-out passes over the wingers' heads

- Wighton into the halves. I wasn't sure about this idea at first, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. Hopefully it works. A Wighton/Sezer halves combination, if they combine well, could be genuinely first class.

- the focus on defence. I know we hear this every year, but if the team had truly improved their defence and game management, they could have easily been top 4 the last two seasons.

- the new recruits. I think we've recruited quite astutely again, those two pommy blokes look the goods and hopefully the young kiwi lad with two dads can develop into a top class fullback. Alternatively he can't, there's always Rapana to return.

- the addition of Michael Ennis to the coaching staff. Comes across as a very astute mind to me, and if he can help out game management and improve Hodgo's game by even 5%, it's a HUGE get.

So considering these points, I've decided I'm prepared to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt to start the season, and am going to lay off the over the top criticism. All the pieces are in place, and hopefully the squad starts well and finally plays the football we know they're capable of. Having said all that though, if by about Round 8 it's just more of the same old ****, expect me to absolutely come down on the coaching staff like a tonne of bricks. If we see the same old problems plaguing the team in season 2019, surely Stuart has to go.
I see 6wks has already blown out to 8. :P
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:14 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 3:40 pm Ok, so I'll preface this by saying I realise I've been one of Stuart's most outspoken critics over the last 12 months after the absolutely disgusting debarkles that were 2017 and 2018. But it's a new year and there's new hope, and I honestly believe most of the moves across the off-season have been positive, such as:

I see 6wks has already blown out to 8. :P
Well, 7 really, I said BY Round 8 :P
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I reckon Nickman will blow a fuse if we drop rnd 1.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:21 pm I reckon Nickman will blow a fuse if we drop rnd 1.
Round 8, Peej. I'm gonna be good up until then, I promise.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

you'll be the only one here not losing your absolute **** if it's 0-7 then
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:21 pm I reckon Nickman will blow a fuse if we drop rnd 1.
So if we are 0-7 you'll be ok ?!

Sweet.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:23 pm

Sweet.
Nope... because then it'll be Round 8.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:35 pm
LP Raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:22 pm Sunday 17th March 0750pm, order will be restored.
There's no such time as 0750pm mate...
It's not the time yet a cryptic message.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:24 pm

Sweet.
6 weeks of you being nice to Ricky..we'll take it !!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:30 pm
The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:24 pm

Sweet.
6 weeks of you being nice to Ricky..we'll take it !!
7 actually. Fair dinkum, I'm not sure why this is so complicated for you all to understand!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:11 pm
kiwi raider wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:10 pm Name change? Nickman becomes Rickman?
I like it!

GE, make it happen!
Requests for name changes need to be made in the Name change thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3227