Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in signing Chad Townsend

Post by zim »

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. Townsend
9. Hodgson

Improves fullback and 5/8. I can see why they want to do it. Not the quality signing we'd be hoping for though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Well did you want a solid defensive half who does his bit in attack/kicking or not?https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/23/sta ... es-a-myth/

He's better than Sezer, Jack can go back to being Jack (an elite FB unless you are blind muppet) and you can pick a combo of the best of three of Sezer, Williams, Townsend...

If it happens, it's a huge win. Don't kid yourselves. Even if you think he's on par with Sezer do you want Sezer A who's won the comp or Sezer B who has done squat?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If it's a choice between picking up Townsend and picking up nobody it makes sense to grab him while we can. His addition would improve our side (not massively but...) and it's a cunning ploy from the games greatest thinker - to stockpile all the goalkickers in the competition.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I thought we had no money.

In any case GE is right how can a club under investigation for rorting the cap, trump others.

They should be forced to release Johnson.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A clause in Townsends contract that once fortnight he returns to Sydney to visit his hairdresser...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

Seen this one before... next line is "Raiders deny interest in Townsend, have full confidence in Sezer and Wighton".

Narrator: "But did they?"
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 24, 2019, 9:13 pm He is a better player than Sezer for sure.
I would bet all the money in the world that in an alternate reality where Sezer is at the sharks and chaddy T with us, you’d be saying the reverse

It’ll never not be wild to me that people have bemoaned every half that Stuart has ever coached, and not figured out that he’s the common denominator
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Anyone who thinks that signing chad Townsend is a good allocation of money under our salary cap is mired in the same mediocrity of mindset as those who run the club.

I know it’s been years since we had an exciting, major signing.
I know he’d slightly improve on what we have.
I know he’s been in a premiership winning side.

But bringing him in and paying him in desperation because he’s all that’s available, likely on a multiple year deal that not just ensures we are hard up against the cap this year, but in the next few years when far superior halfbacks become available on the market and we once again don’t have the financial flexibility to go and set them???!!! Just ridiculous short term, mediocre, unambitious thinking.

And also, why would we let Cronulla off the hook? They’ve got themselves into this mess... you tell them the negotiations are for Johnson (who we originally wanted) or no-one
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Doesn't he really sport your No. 1 hairstyle Fui? Come on... admit it!
It’s a neat style. I couldn’t rock it though. My style is more wash it and apply gel the night before, sleep on it, then live with however it looks when I wake up.

I think Rick Kelly wears his style better though
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Pigman wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:50 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 24, 2019, 9:13 pm He is a better player than Sezer for sure.
I would bet all the money in the world that in an alternate reality where Sezer is at the sharks and chaddy T with us, you’d be saying the reverse

It’ll never not be wild to me that people have bemoaned every half that Stuart has ever coached, and not figured out that he’s the common denominator
D.o.H!!!!
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Brew wrote: February 24, 2019, 8:09 pm A premiership winning half back with a clam temperament and kicking game. And people are saying no.
He is an upgrade with what we have. Not much of an upgrade but it’s slim pickings really.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Shane Perry was one of these as well. Having won a premiership doesn’t automatically make you a better player than someone who hasn’t.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: February 24, 2019, 9:10 pm Fenton.... FENTON!
Sorry. Autocorrect got me. Of course I meant Shaun Fensom.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: February 24, 2019, 10:14 pm If it dislodged Shaun Johnson for us fine... but if it dislodged Chad Townsend... we're no better off.
Disagree. It puts Townsend in the halves and Wighton back to full back. And we get him with 5 months of the 2019 rugby league year already gone and paid by someone else.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Danaman137 wrote: February 24, 2019, 9:04 pm
Bay53 wrote:If we are fair dinkum about getting him, potentially having his premiership dummy half on the coaching staff is not a bad thing to try and get him.
True, I hadn’t thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His brother in law played here too before going back to Cronulla.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Hang on....

Chad Townsend is a better halfback than Sezer and a better 5/8th than Wighton and you blokes are saying no to the idea? Are we going to hold off until a Shaun Johnson comes on to the market so we can miss out again?

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. Townsend

Looks a hell of a lot better than what we have now.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Peter wrote: February 25, 2019, 9:04 am Hang on....

Chad Townsend is a better halfback than Sezer and a better 5/8th than Wighton and you blokes are saying no to the idea? Are we going to hold off until a Shaun Johnson comes on to the market so we can miss out again?

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. Townsend

Short term thinking though. Why take another clubs cast-off? Why not actually plan and prepare for how we get ahead of the other 15 clubs in the comp, rather than be reactive and settle for mediocrity once again??
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

mamando wrote: February 25, 2019, 9:12 am

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. Townsend

Short term thinking though. Why take another clubs cast-off? Why not actually plan and prepare for how we get ahead of the other 15 clubs in the comp, rather than be reactive and settle for mediocrity once again??

The last big name half we signed was Matt Orford. But you keep holding on to hope that we will get one someday. And in the meantime we will continue with playing our fullback at 5/8 and a half who shows up for 3 weeks of the season.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Do we need a superstar though? We made a prelim final with Sezer and Austin.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Pigman wrote: February 25, 2019, 5:50 am

:roflmao You're probably right on the first point.

As for the other I'd say it's widely accepted that Stuart is another level of trash at coaching with regards to halves. The two halves who have gone well under Stuart are Fitler and Kimmorley, they are also the only two he has coached in his ballpark with regards to skill. Even then Kimmorley was inconsistent between years.

Sezer certainly made a mistake coming to the Raiders. I'd suggest his two-year extension last year suggests he has played himself out of the plans of rival clubs over the past three years.

I just find him personally very disappointing as his first few games for us were quality.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I'm not bagging Townsend as he is a competent 1st grader (nothing more), but how exactly would adding him in now assist with our main onfield goal this season to tighten the defence, particularly in the line? I think people get so fixated on what a player does with the footy in hand that they completely forget that it is one half of the game. We've spent an offseason preparing to play with Jack at 5/8, not because he is going to be the 2nd coming of Laurie Daley, because we need a player who can defend in the spot which has been our most vulnerable over the past few seasons. Give him a go there and work to the plan.

I wouldn't be entirely against Townsend but by the same token i'm not sure shoehorning anyone that is a 'name' or regular 1st grader at NRL level is worthy to walk into a starting position at the Raiders when it's debatable if it would actually improve the side overall looking at the most important aspects of our game that we need to fix. As others have expressed time and time again, it is this kind of mentality which is why we are who we are. We need to be better than settling for everyone else's leftovers.

Edit: I just checked and Townsend was 8th in the NRL for average most missed tackles at 3.9 a game. Those stats can be misleading though but worth mentioning in relation to this post.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Woodgers wrote: February 25, 2019, 9:55 am I'm not bagging Townsend as he is a competent 1st grader (nothing more), but how exactly would adding him in now assist with our main onfield goal this season to tighten the defence, particularly in the line? I think people get so fixated on what a player does with the footy in hand that they completely forget that it is one half of the game. We've spent an offseason preparing to play with Jack at 5/8, not because he is going to be the 2nd coming of Laurie Daley, because we need a player who can defend in the spot which has been our most vulnerable over the past few seasons. Give him a go there and work to the plan.

I wouldn't be entirely against Townsend but by the same token i'm not sure shoehorning anyone that is a 'name' or regular 1st grader at NRL level is worthy to walk into a starting position at the Raiders when it's debatable if it would actually improve the side overall looking at the most important aspects of our game that we need to fix. As others have expressed time and time again, it is this kind of mentality which is why we are who we are. We need to be better than settling for everyone else's leftovers.

Edit: I just checked and Townsend was 8th in the NRL for average most missed tackles at 3.9 a game. Those stats can be misleading though but worth mentioning in relation to this post.
Can't agree more. Great post.

I'm indifferent to the possibility of signing Townsend. He won't hurt but but he won't greatly improve us either imo. Btw how I laugh when people continually trot out 'he's won a premiership', as if being in a premiership winning side automatically makes you a great player. Andrew Fifita single handedly won the sharks that gf. Had zero to do with Chad. a lot of ordinary players have won premierships.
Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

I wouldn't be holding out hope for Johnson.
I heard from a board member that we never seriously considered signing him because of his asking price.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Peter wrote: February 25, 2019, 9:21 am
mamando wrote: February 25, 2019, 9:12 am

1. Wighton
6. Sezer
7. Townsend

The last big name half we signed was Matt Orford. But you keep holding on to hope that we will get one someday. And in the meantime we will continue with playing our fullback at 5/8 and a half who shows up for 3 weeks of the season.
So we shouldn’t be aspirational? We should just take rejects from other clubs whilst they sign the elite players? You’re suggesting we should just give up and settle for always being also-rans?

We are in a competition with 15 other teams - if we are not trying to be better than them, then there’s no point us even existing in the competition.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Townsend is underrated, he is a premiership halfback and proven NRL first grade half.

As we know, we don’t have any money so I would be more than happy to sell Sezar and bring in Townsend if we had too.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Woodgers wrote: February 25, 2019, 9:55 am I'm not bagging Townsend as he is a competent 1st grader (nothing more), but how exactly would adding him in now assist with our main onfield goal this season to tighten the defence, particularly in the line? I think people get so fixated on what a player does with the footy in hand that they completely forget that it is one half of the game. We've spent an offseason preparing to play with Jack at 5/8, not because he is going to be the 2nd coming of Laurie Daley, because we need a player who can defend in the spot which has been our most vulnerable over the past few seasons. Give him a go there and work to the plan.

Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly.

I think Townsend as a player is fine. He improves on what we currently have. But is he going to be enough of an improvement that he's worth signing on the eve of the season to completely disrupt what our backs have been preparing for all summer? And is he going to be the solution to our larger issues? On these points I have to lean towards no.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

LastRaider wrote:Townsend is underrated, he is a premiership halfback and proven NRL first grade half.

As we know, we don’t have any money so I would be more than happy to sell Sezar and bring in Townsend if we had too.

Doubt we’d be able to offload Sezer this close to the season. He’s not exactly setting the world on fire for any team to want him 3 weeks before the start of the season, and swapping him with Townsend wouldn’t solve the Sharks salary cap issue

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Danaman137 wrote:
LastRaider wrote:Townsend is underrated, he is a premiership halfback and proven NRL first grade half.

Doubt we’d be able to offload Sezer this close to the season. He’s not exactly setting the world on fire for any team to want him 3 weeks before the start of the season, and swapping him with Townsend wouldn’t solve the Sharks salary cap issue

Brisbane maybe? There short a half and Sezar was a junior there a long time ago I think

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

pretty sure I heard NZ say that they'll either start with Adam Keighan or CHT.. IF they don't sign a halfback
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Don’t think he ever spent any time in Brissy. Bulldogs junior then went to Titans from there.
Seibold has been blowing smoke up milford and nikorima’s *** in the press too so I doubt they’d make a change.
I’d also hate this as I hate seeing any former Raider in a broncos jersey. Milf was bad enough. Fensom will break my heart.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He concedes the least line breaks and try causes of any NRL half...
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I dont mind chad and do not really want to sign him. Hes not going to come in and improve our side at this point. If we’d signed him up at the end of last year then great, but we’ve moved our pieces around already and i think we’re best off running with the halves we have unless we can sign a Shaun Johnson calibre player.
Dont delete this GE
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Brew wrote: February 24, 2019, 8:09 pm A premiership winning half back with a clam temperament and kicking game. And people are saying no.
He is an upgrade with what we have. Not much of an upgrade but it’s slim pickings really.

Sounds a lot like some other guy we once signed... A certain agitator... For privacy's sake, let's call him Matt O. No, that's too obvious... Lets' say M Orford.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wasn't there a rumour about Raiders being interested in Townsend months ago?
I feel like that article is referring to that before Raiders had moved Wighton to 5/8
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Should SJ be pushed out, would his entire contract be thrown out? Or would a deal be done where the Sharks pay just enough to be cap compliant when he goes somewhere else? Since cap space is obvs an issue for us, I’m hoping it’s the latter.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Danaman137 wrote: February 25, 2019, 11:14 am Should SJ be pushed out, would his entire contract be thrown out? Or would a deal be done where the Sharks pay just enough to be cap compliant when he goes somewhere else? Since cap space is obvs an issue for us, I’m hoping it’s the latter.

Good question.

Best to push SJ out, strip the Sharks of their premiership and move them to Perth to be safe.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.