Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles
Sunday 28 April 2:00pm
Brookvale Oval
Gates: 11:30am
Jersey Flegg: 11:45am
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Sunny. Light winds becoming west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning then becoming southeasterly 10 to 15 km/h in the afternoon. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Min 11 Max 23

Round 6 2019. Canberra Raiders 26 - Brisbane 22. The Raiders broke a six game losing streak against a desperate Broncos team in Round 6 - the first Green Machine win against the Brisbane outfit since 2013. The close score line was probably a fair reflection of the game. Canberra seemed dominant in the first half, but led by just 10 points at the break. And the Broncos are a team that always seems to be able to come back, to strike with the unpredictable play. They did, with the possession and territory swinging decidedly in favour of the visitors in the second half. But after surrendering the lead, the Raiders were still able to come back and then hold on in the dying stages to secure the victory.

More on Round 6: As I saw it

In Round 7, the Raiders are back on the road, facing the Manly Sea Eagles at Brookvale. Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has brought in some fresh forwards for the bench, including Emre Guler and Jack Murchie, with JJ Collins and Hudson Young dropping to the extended bench. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been named at fullback, cleared of a knee injury. Manly coach Des Hasler has named an unchanged top 17 from last week.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Aidan Sezer and JJ Collins from their squad on Saturday afternoon, with Bailey Simonsson and Hudson Young remaining on the extended bench. Sam Smith and Taniela Paseka were cut from the Sea Eagles reserves on Saturday.

History: The Raiders have won just 21 of 55 games against the Manly Sea Eagles, and drawn one. Since late 2004, the Raiders have won only six of 22 contests, and four of the past 10. The Raiders lost both matches in 2017 in golden point - 20-18 at Canberra Stadium and 21-20 at Brookvale. Canberra also lost the Round 4 match played last year at Brookvale, 32-16. Canberra got some payback in Round 12 of 2018, with Aidan Sezer clinching a 21-20 victory with a final minute field goal.

2018 Round 12 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

2018 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles

The Raiders have won just 10 of 28 games played between the clubs at Brookvale - and two of the past 10. The Raiders last won at the venue in 2016, a 44-30 victory in Round 25 - with the Raiders on the charge to a top two finish to the season.

Form: Raiders: LWWWW
Sea Eagles: LWWWL

The Sea Eagles have posted a 3 and 3 start to the season, falling to the Tigers and Roosters in the opening two weeks - and losing narrowly to the Dragons, 12-10 last weekend. Their only big win came in Round 3 against the Warriors (46-12). They've also produced an eight point win over the Knights, and a golden point, 13-12, victory over the Rabbitohs. The Raiders have lost just once this year and are now going for their fifth straight win.

Betting: The Raiders have firmed to $1.65 favourites over the course of the week; the Sea Eagles are paying $2.25. The Sea Eagles now have 3.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: After six rounds, the Raiders are placed third, the Sea Eagles in seventh. Canberra has won both games the team has played on the road, while the Sea Eagles have won two of three games played at Brookvale. The Raiders have won one of two matches against top eight teams, while the Sea Eagles have won one of three games against top eight opponents.

The two teams have a very similar attacking record, the Raiders averaging 20.5 points (3.5 tries) per match, compared with 19.8 (3.3 tries) for the Sea Eagles. The Raiders have the best defensive record in the competition after six rounds, conceding an average of just 11 points (two tries) per match. But the Sea Eagles aren't far away, ranking fifth in defence and conceding just under 17 points (three tries) per match so far.

The Raiders and Sea Eagles have a similar average completion rate (about 75 per cent). Manly produces slightly more errors per game (12-10); both teams have conceded an average of seven penalties per game. The Raiders have more effectively controlled possession (54 per cent share, compared with 49 per cent for the Sea Eagles).

There is not much difference between the teams in terms of runs per game (Raiders 173, Sea Eagles 168) and running metres gained (Raiders 1554, Sea Eagles 1504). The Raiders rank second for post contact metres (475 per match), the Sea Eagles 13th (420). Canberra also ranks third for tackle breaks (36 per game), while the Sea Eagles rank 12th (29). Canberra relies heavily on dummy half runs (19 per game) ranking first in the competition (Manly 10). The Sea Eagles make slightly more line breaks (3.7-3.2) and offloads (9.7-9.2) per game.

According to Fox Sports Lab, only the Storm concede fewer running metres than the Raiders (1260 per game) - while the Sea Eagles are bottom four in the league in this department (1440 per game). The Raiders have missed an average of 28 tackles per game, the Sea Eagles 26 - with the Raiders having a slightly better tackle efficiency rate (80 per cent, Sea Eagles 79 per cent).

Our tip: The Raiders have had their best start to the season since 2003. If the Raiders had scored a couple more points against the Broncos than they did, they would be running first on the ladder. That's how close the top three teams are, at present. Most people, however, put the top two, the Storm and the Roosters, into a category of performance above the others in the competition. That's probably fair, at this stage. And even though the Sea Eagles have lost twice more than the Raiders in 2019, most of the statistics show that there is not a huge difference between the two teams that will run out at Brookvale Oval on Sunday. The other reason for concern - if you're a Raiders fan - is the Green Machine's poor record against Manly at Brookvale.

While the Raiders have mostly been passing the tests set for them this year, the tests just keep on coming. This will be a tough match for Canberra, as they started to look a little tired against the Broncos - after an intense month of footy, featuring good line speed and tough defence. The bumps and bruises, the niggling little injuries, are no doubt starting to tell. The surface at Brookvale is always boggy - I like to call it "The Swamp" - and that won't help the Raiders' cause either.

Manly half, Daley Cherry Evans is, of course, the main danger man for the Green Machine. I've lost count of the number of times he has cut the Raiders to ribbons when they've played up on the "northern beaches". Canberra's edge defenders will need to watch him like a hawk. The Raiders mobile pack will need to get over the top of the Manly forwards - including the likes of Jake Trbojevic, Marty Taupau and former Raider Joel Thompson - and cut down the time available for Cherry Evans and fellow half Kane Elgey. On the plus side, however, the Raiders have the recipe to win. Their past four games have shown that. And if it is close at the end, I'm much more confident of the Raiders' ability in the clutch this year - to land a field goal if needed. If they stick to the recipe, the Green Machine can and should win. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Coach Ricky Stuart: "We're putting a lot of pride into our defence. That's the important part for me at the moment is the way they're defending and showing that resilient, comfortable style defence."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Jack Murchie

19. Bailey Simonsson
21. Hudson Young

Injury/Suspension
Joe Tapine (Ankle) Round 15-17
Brad Abbey (Knee) Round 8-10
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 10-12

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Brendan Elliot
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Moses Suli
4. Brad Parker
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Kane Elgey
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Toafofoa Sipley
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Jack Gosiewski
16. Corey Waddell
17. Morgan Boyle

18. Kelepi Tanginoa
20. Lachlan Croker

Officials:

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Adam Gee
Sideline Officials: David Munro, Nick Morel
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLManlyRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for squads and match officials.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Where does everyone gather in the general admission area as the away support / angry mob, the last time i was at Brookvale we won the comp, hoping its a sign but remembering how crap this venue is, i wanted to make the trek for Toots's 100th hit out as skipper
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Kryptonite wrote: April 26, 2019, 8:00 am Where does everyone gather in the general admission area as the away support / angry mob, the last time i was at Brookvale we won the comp, hoping its a sign but remembering how crap this venue is, i wanted to make the trek for Toots's 100th hit out as skipper
A lot has changed since 1994.

The locals are uglier for starters...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Pretty much there is normally a group just off half way opposite where the players run out closer to the main road. Bunch of guys in green, hard to miss :)

In terms of the field eat well before you go, they won't let you bring anything in much. They had a food truck last year, sold dagwood dogs and that kind of thing

Food and drink is expensive! And parking is hell

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Kryptonite
John Ferguson

Post by Kryptonite »

Does anyone know the code to enter when purchasing the away team members special on line with ticketmaster for lottoland this Sunday?
Kryptonite
John Ferguson

Post by Kryptonite »

cat wrote: April 26, 2019, 3:29 pm Pretty much there is normally a group just off half way opposite where the players run out closer to the main road. Bunch of guys in green, hard to miss :)

In terms of the field eat well before you go, they won't let you bring anything in much. They had a food truck last year, sold dagwood dogs and that kind of thing

Food and drink is expensive! And parking is hell

Thanks Cat, i am in enemy territory lurking around the ground sussing out where to oark, its not a venue i would call easily accessible
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

If you get there early enough the road beside McDonald's that's not the main road ( factories and stuff) you can get parking there and walk up.

There is also a bus up from manly warf but parking down there is worse unless thats where your motel is

Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

And if you plan on sneaking in a bottle of coke, very very bottom of the bag with lots of jumpers and blankets on it Image

Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

cat wrote: April 27, 2019, 10:07 am And if you plan on sneaking in a bottle of coke, very very bottom of the bag with lots of jumpers and blankets on it Image

Is that Bourbon and Coke cat ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Updated match preview for squads, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33343&p=1653418#p1653418

Aidan Sezer and JJ Collins drop out of the 21 man squad for the Raiders.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Has Aiden been playing at Mounties?
If not, is he injured still?
If he has, how is he going?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He played Mounties last week. Didn't knock the door down for first grade.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-PJ- wrote:
cat wrote: April 27, 2019, 10:07 am And if you plan on sneaking in a bottle of coke, very very bottom of the bag with lots of jumpers and blankets on it Image

Is that Bourbon and Coke cat ?
If you want it to be lol

Vaccinated
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day.

Just win ****.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

To quote Big Kev..

IM EXCITED !
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Game day!!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson

2019 Rd 7 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Kryptonite »

Gameday!
Smashem Raiders!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

First Sydney game! Yeah! see you all there

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

This is going to be a tight game. Wighton needs to build on his positives and minimise his mistakes. It would also be good if Croker can get his radar working again. Raiders to sneak home by 4.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

LastRaider wrote: April 28, 2019, 8:35 am First Sydney game! Yeah! see you all there

Have fun and give 'em HELL!

GAME DAY FOLKS :woot:

Let's get the W and get outta there uninjured and then, and only then, think about the margin.

(But, uh, no heart-attack finish this week would be much appreciated.)
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Target dce and we win this well

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

I've got us pencilled in for a big win and top of ladder
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’m really nervous about this one. Even more so because I can’t watch the match live.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Neeeegz wrote: April 28, 2019, 9:29 am Target dce and we win this well
Easier said than done. DCE is one of those players when he's on he's on and there's not much you can do about it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

Northern Raider wrote:
Easier said than done. DCE is one of those players when he's on he's on and there's not much you can do about it.
I've got confidence he will be contained, hopefully in the same way we contained fergo...ImageImage

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Neeeegz wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
I've got confidence he will be contained, hopefully in the same way we contained fergo...ImageImage

With 3 broken ribs and a smashed nose?

Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dusty wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:28 am I’m really nervous about this one. Even more so because I can’t watch the match live.

I like to get intoxicated before every game.

10-12 stubs eases the nerves I find..
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Well I just saw a place called The Greenhouse in Canggu, Bali. Surely that's a sign for a big win today

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Bennyinthewest wrote:Well I just saw a place called The Greenhouse in Canggu, Bali. Surely that's a sign for a big win today

But there's a The Greenhouse on the waterfront in Manly, too. Does that cancel it out?

They do very good pasta, if that has any impact.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

cat wrote:
Neeeegz wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

With 3 broken ribs and a smashed nose?

Yep

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: April 28, 2019, 11:17 am
Dusty wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:28 am I’m really nervous about this one. Even more so because I can’t watch the match live.

I like to get intoxicated before every game.

10-12 stubs eases the nerves I find..
You cutting back?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Game day you pack of degenerate *****! I’m off to my nephew’s 1st birthday just before 3pm, so I hope we’re up by about twenty by then!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

T_R wrote: April 28, 2019, 11:32 am
Bennyinthewest wrote:Well I just saw a place called The Greenhouse in Canggu, Bali. Surely that's a sign for a big win today

But there's a The Greenhouse on the waterfront in Manly, too. Does that cancel it out?

They do very good pasta, if that has any impact.
no it also helps.