Raiders half Aidan Sezer joins Huddersfield Giants on two year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Canberra Raiders' Aidan Sezer again linked to Huddersfield Giants

Post by afgtnk »

Boy, if Williams goes onto $180k then Sezer was the most overpaid halfback in Rugby League history.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

afgtnk wrote:Boy, if Williams goes onto $180k then Sezer was the most overpaid halfback in Rugby League history.
Who cares what Sezer was on. He is done at our club everyone including himself knows it.
The only concern the Raiders should have at the moment is how do we move 100% of his salary on. Again after making the GF we need to sell the lie that he is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:19 pm
PigRickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:13 pm Advocating paying Sam Williams $300k+ a year as an insurance policy... Let's assume we pay George and Wighton 1.5mil per year combined.

Which we wont be btw, that's grossly overstated...
But lets say our halves have a value of 1.5m

$300k+ would be 20% of that value... guys, if we're paying 20% of the value of our assets for insurance, we need a new **** policy
its not quite an insurance policy. an insurance policy would get us a comparable asset. this is more like paying 300k for a hyundai excel in case your ferrari breaks down.
Yep, exactly.
Madness

The simple fact is the league know exactly who and what Sam Williams is. And no football club in the world is offering him 300k a year, except us if we let sentimentality become part of our decision making process.

We dont have a ton of money to spend, we cant afford to have back up halves on that kind of money and retain the important cogs of the squad that helped get us to this point.
This will be a good early test for us off the park... is this club ready to be a business savy, cut throat team that wants to establish itself as a long term player? Or are we still an old boys club looking to give sweetheart deals to guys because we like them?

If Sezer leaves, which seems likely, then we need a back up half. That back up has got to be able to come in for a few games if needed (and we've got other half options, like Hodgson and George in the halves, with Havilii and Starling rotating at hooker if we need to get out of a jam for just a game or two at origin time) and not **** it up.

Sam Williams is one of those guys, but he's far from the only one. There is a lot of options out there and if we can get one of them for cheaper than 300k we're kidding ourselves. Sam is not a top of the range back up who is capable of stepping into this role if Wighton/George get hurt and taking us back to the Grand Final. If one of those guys gets hurt or George doesnt pan out, we're going to be ****. And Sam bloody Williams @ 300k+ isnt going to fix that for us.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:27 pm Boy, if Williams goes onto $180k then Sezer was the most overpaid halfback in Rugby League history.
Ben Hunt and Ash Taylor would like a word.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RTW wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:29 pm
afgtnk wrote:Boy, if Williams goes onto $180k then Sezer was the most overpaid halfback in Rugby League history.
Who cares what Sezer was on. He is done at our club everyone including himself knows it.
The only concern the Raiders should have at the moment is how do we move 100% of his salary on. Again after making the GF we need to sell the lie that he is worth it.

Exactly. We need to move Sezer on, and make sure we're paying as little freight as possible. If we retain guys like Williams it needs to be on close to minimum wage or we find a replacement who is.

Otherwise the alternative might be losing someone like BJ and I just feel we could really use him in 2020.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Williams is arguably the best halfback anytime he plays reserve grade. Think that makes him a pretty decent back up tbh. Unfortunately, there seem to be a couple of people who have long standing fundamental issue with him, and they're posting vigorously in this thread.

Paying him that money isn't going to rob anyone and frankly I think it's pretty pathetic to even position it like that. He doesn't command big money regardless.

To re-iterate, the guy would comfortably start in Super League. He has options, instead of the pauper he's trying to made out as here.

The club has been plenty cut throat already and that's evidenced by annoucing George's signing mid season. We might see Raps or BJ go (hopefully not the latter). Cutting a quality back up in a key position is not where you should be cut throat and put some 18 year old in.
Last edited by afgtnk on October 10, 2019, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

It looks like the Broncos would be the prime candidates. They're already under pressure to find a player that can steer them around and Sezer has found himself in a position where he's the best of the off contract halves and is considered decent by a lot of ex-halves in the media who clearly haven't seen much of him at the Raiders. I think they're pretty desperate in that respect so we'd have a pretty good bargaining position to get them to pick up the tab.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Was your anti sezer crusade really a cover for your williams love?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:39 pm Was your anti sezer crusade really a cover for your williams love?
It really is bizarre behaviour. affghgjgrjkrkgkrg is now insinuating that guys like me, who have ALWAYS been a big Williams fan, now have some anti-Williams crusade is just extraordinary stuff.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Stop with your **** gaslighting Nickman, please
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:33 pm

Exactly. We need to move Sezer on, and make sure we're paying as little freight as possible. If we retain guys like Williams it needs to be on close to minimum wage or we find a replacement who is.

Otherwise the alternative might be losing someone like BJ and I just feel we could really use him in 2020.
Exactly. Like i said, imagine risking losing BJ, a guy capable of helping you win a premiership, in order to pay gross overs for a player, who ideally, injury luck going in our favour, will only play footy for your club when Jack Wighton/George Williams are away on rep duty and never sniff the top 17 outside of that.

The hope is someone takes on Sezer, and we avoid freight on that contract for 2020. And we are able to sign a back up half for about 150k, if thats Sam Williams, awesome...

i personally favour going with a younger guy for that role, someone who still has some development in them but things havent worked out for them for one reason or another... Te Maire Martin is certainly not lacking for talent, he could be a good gamble... failing that, i'd look for a defensively stout option, because what we discovered last year was importance of having halves who can defend. And whether pinch hitting or in long term due to injury, the spine around that back up will need to be the creators, asking the back up to be a primary creator isnt going to work. I just want that back up to come in and defend well, kick to space when he has too, feed the backs good early ball and whatever else he gives us is a bonus.

But failing finding options to fit those moulds given the limitations on salary, that's when you can come back to a Sam Williams, who by that stage is under no illusions that no other substantial offer is coming and say here's 320-350k for the next 2 years to stay home.
Last edited by Botman on October 10, 2019, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:43 pm Stop with your **** gaslighting Nickman, please
Well stop making out like I have some anti-Williams crusade based on some imagined love for Sezer then!

I've never had a problem with Sam Williams, there's been times when I've thought he was the best option for the team, but now I can't see how he should be on more than minimum wage, for the good of our squad and salary cap.

All this other narrative you keep adding to my argument is just garbage and I'll rightfully call it out as such.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:47 pm
The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:33 pm

Exactly. Like i said, imagine risking losing BJ, a guy capable of helping you win a premiership, in order to pay gross overs for a player, who ideally, injury luck going in our favour, will only play footy for your club when Jack Wighton/George Williams are away on rep duty and never sniff the top 17 outside of that.

The hope is someone takes on Sezer, and we avoid freight on that contract for 2020. And we are able to sign a back up half for about 150k, if thats Sam Williams, awesome...

i personally favour going with a younger guy for that role, someone who still has some development in them but things havent worked out for them for one reason or another... Te Maire Martin is certainly not lacking for talent, he could be a good gamble... failing that, i'd look for a defensively stout option, because what we discovered last year was importance of having halves who can defend. And whether pinch hitting or in long term due to injury, the spine around that back up will need to be the creators, asking the back up to be a primary creator isnt going to work. I just want that back up to come in and defend well, kick to space when he has too, feed the backs good early ball and whatever else he gives us is a bonus.

But failing finding options to fit those moulds given the limitations on salary, that's when you can come back to a Sam Williams, who by that stage is under no illusions that no other substantial offer is coming and say here's 320-350k for the next 2 years to stay home.
Yeah, I agree with this. Primarily all you want is somebody who can hold their place in the defensive line without being a weak link, and gets early nice, ball to either Bateman/Joey on the right or Whitehead/Croker on the left.

That's it. That's all you need. Not even kicking game, although it would be nice.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

if either of our starting halves go down all we need from a back up half is the ability to catch, pass and defend. we lean on hodgson and our remaining half to guide us through the game. im fine with whitehead filling that role with hudson young slotting into back row.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:54 pm if either of our starting halves go down all we need from a back up half is the ability to catch, pass and defend. we lean on hodgson and our remaining half to guide us through the game. im fine with whitehead filling that role with hudson young slotting into back row.
I actually think an edge of Whitehead, Bateman and Leilua would be pretty **** awesome myself.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I've listed a whole bunch of players in our squad who don't have a chance of commanding Sam's salary. You're telling us that Sam Williams should be lumped in with them - lol.

No player with 100 games of NRL FG experience, who goes to reserve grade as the best player there, and who could get a starting gig in the SL would play for minimum wage. Not one.

Whether or not you agree to keep a quality back up half on the books is a different thing, but it's something that to me at least makes a hell of a lot of sense and something the club evidently agrees with. Any decent back up you sign will not be signed for minimum wage, I absolutely **** guarantee any of that.

I suggest revising these arbitrary figures you guys won't let go of, that seem to be derived from the salary cap's of yesteryear.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:56 pm I've listed a whole bunch of players in our squad who don't have a chance of commanding Sam's salary. You're telling us that Sam Williams should be lumped in with them - lol.

No player with 100 games of NRL FG experience, who goes to reserve grade as the best player there, and who could get a starting gig in the SL would play for minimum wage. Not one.

Whether or not you agree to keep a quality back up half on the books is a different thing, but it's something that to me at least makes a hell of a lot of sense and something the club evidently agrees with. Any decent back up you sign will not be signed for minimum wage, I absolutely **** guarantee any of that.

I suggest revising these arbitrary figures you guys won't let go of, that seem to be derived from the salary cap's of yesteryear.
Well I that case, and with Sammy's contract up for renewal, I'd unfortunately be moving him on for a minimum wage replacement and using the money to upgrade Bateman/retain Leilua.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:58 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:56 pm I've listed a whole bunch of players in our squad who don't have a chance of commanding Sam's salary. You're telling us that Sam Williams should be lumped in with them - lol.

Well I that case, and with Sammy's contract up for renewal, I'd unfortunately be moving him on for a minimum wage replacement and using the money to upgrade Bateman/retain Leilua.
And so yeah, you can pretty much be assured that Sticky won't be doing that and will be going into the season with a decent back up like Sam or a comparable player.

Once again, I think there's more thana few of us that are very glad you and your clique have no say whatsoever in who gets signed for this club and for how much, that's for sure.
Last edited by afgtnk on October 10, 2019, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:55 pm
simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:54 pm if either of our starting halves go down all we need from a back up half is the ability to catch, pass and defend. we lean on hodgson and our remaining half to guide us through the game. im fine with whitehead filling that role with hudson young slotting into back row.
I actually think an edge of Whitehead, Bateman and Leilua would be pretty **** awesome myself.
but na, pay a bloke 200k above minimum cos hed go ok in superleague and reserve grade.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:02 pm
The Rickman wrote: October 10, 2019, 12:58 pm

And so yeah, you can pretty much be assured that Sticky won't be doing that and will be going into the season with a decent back up like Sam or a comparable player.

Once again, I think there's more thana few of us that are very glad you and your clique have no say whatsoever in who gets signed for this club and for how much, that's for sure.
Wooo-hoooo I have a clique again!!

The last refuge of somebody who is being seriously outnumbered in a discussion.... ATAOATGHI.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

im just glad afgthk and more than a few others dont have a say whatsoever.
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

If we had it the clique's way Aidan Sezer and Jarrod Croker alone would take up the entire salary cap. Ricky Stuart would've never been signed and David Furner would've been our eternal coach.

Good job fellas.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:06 pm If we had it the clique's way Aidan Sezer and Jarrod Croker alone would take up the entire salary cap. Ricky Stuart would've never been signed and David Furner would've been our eternal coach.

Good job fellas.
has anyone in here actually held all 4 of those opinions at any point?
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

and if we had it asknaksjaka way, Sam Williams would be our halfback, captain-coach and kicker and we wouldnt have sniffed a gf once in the last 10 years, let alone played a prelim final and actually made a GF.

It's really cute how much he loves Sam
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:08 pm
afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:06 pm If we had it the clique's way Aidan Sezer and Jarrod Croker alone would take up the entire salary cap. Ricky Stuart would've never been signed and David Furner would've been our eternal coach.

Good job fellas.
has anyone in here actually held all 4 of those opinions at any point?
No, but afggkgktkltj is just wildly swinging for the fences here now, just frothing at the mouth and clutching at anything... you really hate to see it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

If Sam left for a third time, I'd barely bat an eyelid - just like the last two times. Handy to be a back up since it's convenient and he's experienced, but not fussed much past that. I'd definitely be wanting a decent back up to come on board though.

Gotta say - you really hate to see the Sezer-ites be reduced to this, you really do.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If this year has taught us nothing else, it's taught us the value of having a defense you can count on.
The reason we were in the big game was because of our defence, and im not paying 300k+ for a 'creative' back up half who cant create and is a liability in defence.

If the club would like to go ahead and do that, well, we'll get what we get for that, and hopefully whoever is squeezed out so we can keep Sammy Williams in a job isn't an impact piece.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

He's a desperate, desperate man clutching at desperate, desperate straws here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:14 pm If Sam left for a third time, I'd barely bat an eyelid - just like the last two times. Handy to be a back up since it's convenient and he's experienced, but not fussed much past that. I'd definitely be wanting a decent back up to come on board though.

Gotta say - you really hate to see the Sezer-ites be reduced to this, you really do.
Wild post given the "sezer-ites" as you call them have

*checks notes*

spoken openly about the need to have Sezer moved on and paying as little freight as possible? :lol: :lol:
Certainly seems like we're out here trying to keep Sezer in the job!

Good grief, man
What a stunning performance. One for the ages!
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

my actual first reaction to the george williams signing.
simo wrote: February 25, 2019, 11:53 am
edwahu wrote: February 25, 2019, 11:49 am What happens if Jack carves it up at 5/8th? This becomes a Sezer upgrade?
Yep. Nothing wrong with that either
Dont delete this GE
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

And that defense was done as a team, not because of any individual, and sure as hell not because of Aidan Sezer. We by our own admission spent roughly 85% of the pre-season working on defence alone.

This team still has its individual weaknesses, that doesn't change. It's the structure and unit we've built that overcomes any of those deficiencies, as it does for any of the top teams who have worked just as hard on their defence. That way, the individual has little bearing.

The other part of it is Sam Williams has never, ever been as bad in defence as you've tried to consistenly make out :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: October 10, 2019, 1:19 pm And that defense was done as a team, not because of any individual, and sure as hell not because of Aidan Sezer. We by our own admission spent roughly 85% of the pre-season working on defence alone.

This team still has its individual weaknesses, that doesn't change. It's the structure and unit we've built that overcomes any of those deficiencies, as it does for any of the top teams who have worked just as hard on their defence. That way, the individual has little bearing.

The other part of it is Sam Williams has never, ever been as bad in defence as you've tried to consistenly make out :lol:
wow, you actually know nothing
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Boy, this is getting embarrassing now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This thread's progression

Everyone: Sezer moving on, that's good. We need to move him on, hopefully for a little freight as possible
Some: If we move Sezer on, we should sign Sam back for 300k+
Others: That's insane money for a back up half given our cap situation.
Some: That's what he's worth
Others: Then we've got to look at other options, if we can get Sam at the right price great but lets not overpay.

Nobody:

Absolutely Nobody:

Not a single soul:

askaskja: Aiden Sezer is so ****, look at the Sezer-ites trying to say Sezer needs to stay and hating on the great Sam Williams!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Indeed, for you guys.

Learn to give up and accept things once and a while when you clearly don't have a point.