Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Boomercm wrote: November 6, 2020, 9:31 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: November 2, 2020, 5:37 pm
Johno wrote: November 2, 2020, 5:14 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:22 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:17 pm
We had a crack at signing him before didn’t we?
Wouldn’t touch him with a 100 foot barge pole as a result. You don’t get a chance to disrespect our club twice.
Great post GE..... not allowed swearing on here so Ill just say ...stuff him
I wouldn't have anything to do with him either, to me the greatest asset a person has is their good name as a man or woman of their word. Mansour, and Tedesco gave their word over an agreement, with all the facts of
the agreement available to them at the time of their agreement, and then reneged, displaying for all to see that their word was worth nothing.
Their word is still worth nothing, they have a complete lack of integrity. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
Paps is missing out of your complete lack of integrity list
Sorry to be so late back into the fray, I have had life and death interrupt me.
Papa isn't missing from my list.His situation is a problem for Parra, not Canberra. In addition, if my memory is correct, he found out after initially agreeing to Parras terms that there were family problems he needed to stay in Canberra to sort out. In other words, he didnt have ALL the facts available to him concerning the dicision when he signed and thus applied to the courts to void the contract and won. Somewhat different to Tedesco, who was talked out of his promise by Farah, both of whom left the club within a year or so anyway. Papa by contrast will stay with us for the rest of his career.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Big no to the Jet. Souths have cut him for not being able to give up booze or drugs, not sure which. They paid for him AND his family to go to rehab this yr.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Roberts’ future in the NRL, it doesn’t look promising. The Knights were said to be the only club interested in him but a club source recently told News Corp there is no interest in signing the enigmatic flyer: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b83a0cd491

No chance of him joining the Raiders.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Souths have released Jack Johns, Matty's son. Edge backrower is an area we could use some depth.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

yeh raiders wrote: November 8, 2020, 2:52 am Would happily take a punt on The Jet.

Ricky will get his head in check.
I'd take him if we did our due diligence, got him to give assurances face to face with Sticky and other management, and put some strong clauses into a cheap contract.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We have one spot left in the top 30, two if Sam Williams is enticed to the UK (can’t say I’d be going there). Normally we wouldn’t even fill this spot until well into the season. There’s probably no cash left for anything but a minimum wage contract. I’d much rather keep the spot and cash for our up and comers than the cast offs being mentioned.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Jet has been promising to mend his ways at 5 clubs now. Like Carney there’s a point when you realise some leopards can’t change their spots.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

The Jet should be signed at the right price he would be an asset at wing/centre give him an incentive contract.
He has pace he would be good outside Wighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No club is going to sign James Roberts...

The sad truth behind James Roberts' 'release' from South Sydney: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-sa ... 56cmt.html

The Knights were said to be the only club interested in him but a club source recently told News Corp there is no interest in signing the enigmatic flyer: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b83a0cd491
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Hell no to James Roberts..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: November 9, 2020, 1:22 pm We have one spot left in the top 30, two if Sam Williams is enticed to the UK (can’t say I’d be going there). Normally we wouldn’t even fill this spot until well into the season. There’s probably no cash left for anything but a minimum wage contract. I’d much rather keep the spot and cash for our up and comers than the cast offs being mentioned.
Did Wigan pull their offer? Tough break mate. I reckon you'd have killed it over there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

:roflmao James Roberts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Roberts categorically ruled out by Peter Mulholland on The GH Facebook group, Josh Mansour too expensive. Happy with the likes of Rapana, Simonsson, Valemei, Smith-Shields, Timoko. Club sitting on their hands with only one spot open.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/198798750 ... 660040914/
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

How good is Peter Mulholland! He doesn't have to say anything..
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders666 wrote: November 10, 2020, 7:37 am How good is Peter Mulholland! He doesn't have to say anything..
:thumbsup
I like that he does. Puts a lot of the BS to bed, very quickly.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We almost always go into a new season with at least one spot open, just to see if any quality prospects get squeezed out of other clubs.

Ultimately our biggest issue last season was defence in the centres. James Roberts would do absolutely zero to fix that problem.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 10, 2020, 12:10 pm We almost always go into a new season with at least one spot open, just to see if any quality prospects get squeezed out of other clubs.

Ultimately our biggest issue last season was defence in the centres. James Roberts would do absolutely zero to fix that problem.
Was about to post that the "keep a spot and wait and see" is becoming the best option for clubs. It provides flexibility in the case of a rash of injury on one position. There's always a half dozen unsettled players looking for a move during the season.

And if you don't need a new buy or no bargains suit the club, you just promote a rookie up like who would have got the spot anyway.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: November 10, 2020, 12:10 pm We almost always go into a new season with at least one spot open, just to see if any quality prospects get squeezed out of other clubs.

Was about to post that the "keep a spot and wait and see" is becoming the best option for clubs. It provides flexibility in the case of a rash of injury on one position. There's always a half dozen unsettled players looking for a move during the season.

And if you don't need a new buy or no bargains suit the club, you just promote a rookie up like who would have got the spot anyway.
Saves a bit of cash on the cap as well.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 8, 2020, 7:42 pm
Boomercm wrote: November 6, 2020, 9:31 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: November 2, 2020, 5:37 pm
Johno wrote: November 2, 2020, 5:14 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 29, 2020, 8:22 pm

Wouldn’t touch him with a 100 foot barge pole as a result. You don’t get a chance to disrespect our club twice.
Great post GE..... not allowed swearing on here so Ill just say ...stuff him
I wouldn't have anything to do with him either, to me the greatest asset a person has is their good name as a man or woman of their word. Mansour, and Tedesco gave their word over an agreement, with all the facts of
the agreement available to them at the time of their agreement, and then reneged, displaying for all to see that their word was worth nothing.
Their word is still worth nothing, they have a complete lack of integrity. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
Paps is missing out of your complete lack of integrity list
Sorry to be so late back into the fray, I have had life and death interrupt me.
Papa isn't missing from my list.His situation is a problem for Parra, not Canberra. In addition, if my memory is correct, he found out after initially agreeing to Parras terms that there were family problems he needed to stay in Canberra to sort out. In other words, he didnt have ALL the facts available to him concerning the dicision when he signed and thus applied to the courts to void the contract and won. Somewhat different to Tedesco, who was talked out of his promise by Farah, both of whom left the club within a year or so anyway. Papa by contrast will stay with us for the rest of his career.
Bah ha, Papa did the exact same thing don't try and sugar coat it. I'm sorry, but Tedesco and Mansour hardly disrespected our club, Mansour didn't even sign? Did he? And Tedesco changed his mind pretty quickly, they both just made the decisions they needed to make for their futures. DCE and the Titans, he let the club function as if was coming for a long time and the let key players like Sezer go, he weaseled his way out just at the cut off, now that, was disrespectful.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Papalii absolutely did to Parra EXACTLY what Tedesco did to us
If you're going to call into question Tedesco's integrity and say he is not a man of his word, then you'd have to say the same of Papalii, unless you just want to accept being a complete hypocrite... Ill leave the job of telling Big Papa about his lack of integrity etc to those leveling that charge... not a job i want if im being honest
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The most important backflip in our clubs history was Papa..

I couldn’t imagine life without him.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: November 11, 2020, 12:48 pm The most important backflip in our clubs history was Papa..

I couldn’t imagine life without him.
Neither can Sticky.

Ultimately he got his man.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Papalii showed respect to the club because he backflipped. In this, you’re either on our side... or not. Papa is on our side and loves us. And we love him.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: November 11, 2020, 4:50 pm Papalii showed respect to the club because he backflipped. In this, you’re either on our side... or not. Papa is on our side and loves us. And we love him.
So the argument is, DCE is to the Tians, what Teddy is to the Raiders, and Papa is to the Eels.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: November 11, 2020, 11:07 am Papalii absolutely did to Parra EXACTLY what Tedesco did to us
If you're going to call into question Tedesco's integrity and say he is not a man of his word, then you'd have to say the same of Papalii, unless you just want to accept being a complete hypocrite... Ill leave the job of telling Big Papa about his lack of integrity etc to those leveling that charge... not a job i want if im being honest
We also have fans still in so much of a rage that Mansour backflipped that we're embracing not upgrading our back 5 because of it (I know the numbers wouldn't work anyway). Then we also have everyone universally keen on Cotric returning down the line despite the face he has chosen to leave the club. It's a head scratcher.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 11, 2020, 4:50 pm Papalii showed respect to the club because he backflipped. In this, you’re either on our side... or not. Papa is on our side and loves us. And we love him.
Except that's not the argument put forward
Posters have not been content to keep to club loyalty, instead they want to cast dispersions about people's characters, i think its utterly childish but i have kids so
i do understand the "he hurt my feelings so **** him, we never want him again" menatality... the club laundry thing just doesnt hold up when you're questioning the character of a man. If you want to Tedesco is not a man of integrity, then you're saying Papalii is not a man of integrity. Integrity and character has absolutely NOTHING to do with the laundry covering your chest.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

I don't there was anything wrong with what Papa or Tedesco did. They changed there minds pretty quickly. Changing their minds pretty quicky showed intergrity, not stringing the club along, realising they didn't want to play for the club and getting out without causing any damage to the roster whatsoever. They could have gone through with it and done a Ryan Matterson a year into their contract. Back then contracts accomodated mind changes, probably played a little into signing, knowing you could change your desicison if you feel differently after a few weeks post-signing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Robert the Bruce wrote: November 12, 2020, 9:04 am I don't there was anything wrong with what Papa or Tedesco did. They changed there minds pretty quickly. Changing their minds pretty quicky showed intergrity, not stringing the club along, realising they didn't want to play for the club and getting out without causing any damage to the roster whatsoever. They could have gone through with it and done a Ryan Matterson a year into their contract. Back then contracts accomodated mind changes, probably played a little into signing, knowing you could change your desicison if you feel differently after a few weeks post-signing.
agreed
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Robert the Bruce wrote: November 12, 2020, 9:04 am I don't there was anything wrong with what Papa or Tedesco did. They changed there minds pretty quickly. Changing their minds pretty quicky showed intergrity, not stringing the club along, realising they didn't want to play for the club and getting out without causing any damage to the roster whatsoever. They could have gone through with it and done a Ryan Matterson a year into their contract. Back then contracts accomodated mind changes, probably played a little into signing, knowing you could change your desicison if you feel differently after a few weeks post-signing.
Its was an absolute farce with certain player agents using it as a tactic to hold clubs to ransom. If you believe the stories tedesco did the same thing to the bulldogs for ended up at the roosters.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its player agents doing as they're employed to do, use the tools available to them to get the best outcome for their client.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: November 13, 2020, 7:02 am Its player agents doing as they're employed to do, use the tools available to them to get the best outcome for their client.
Yeah, true. I think we need to take the "Don't hate the player, hate the game" mantra on this. If it was permitted under the rules then that is that as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that you can sign on with a team after November 1 2020 for 2022 when already signed for 2021. The Players Union came up with some bogus argument that players couldn't relocate on a months notice but surely it is better for the game if players don't sign with another club until after their contract is finished.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i completely agree with that
Didnt like the june 30 back flip run, hated it in fact because i think it think it flipped the power balance too far in favour of managers.

Not as fussed about the Nov 1 situation, but i can certainly see why others are.

Either way, those are or were the rules and I personally dont blame players or agents playing by the rules given to them.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Wiki Special wrote: November 13, 2020, 8:22 am
Botman wrote: November 13, 2020, 7:02 am Its player agents doing as they're employed to do, use the tools available to them to get the best outcome for their client.
Yeah, true. I think we need to take the "Don't hate the player, hate the game" mantra on this. If it was permitted under the rules then that is that as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that you can sign on with a team after November 1 2020 for 2022 when already signed for 2021. The Players Union came up with some bogus argument that players couldn't relocate on a months notice but surely it is better for the game if players don't sign with another club until after their contract is finished.
In the major US/Canada sports you can be playing for your new team the next night (in a different country), but realistically they're paid more to subsidise this.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.