Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Ricky Stuart appears resigned to losing John Bateman

Post by Rick »

Danaman137 wrote:If Jonneh sees that game and decides he wants to take the money instead of being a part of this team then I’ll join Don on the drive to the Bulldogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100%

Smart play by the Don and Rick saving the money for that spine.

Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Danaman137 wrote: May 30, 2020, 9:50 pm If Jonneh sees that game and decides he wants to take the money instead of being a part of this team then I’ll join Don on the drive to the Bulldogs

This :clap: :clap: :clap:
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I would be confident in Tapine to slot in to that second row position particularly once Young is able to play again. In saying that, I think it would be important to bring in a solid middle from outside of the club if Bateman leaves.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by Boomercm »

BadnMean wrote: May 28, 2020, 9:08 am
heavs wrote: May 27, 2020, 9:47 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 27, 2020, 8:43 pm
julian87 wrote: May 27, 2020, 7:39 pm

Against 2 of the worst teams in the competition.
Titans were equal 1st and Warriors only 1 win out the 8 until we got hold of them!
This guy gets it
Outstanding first post!
yes it was. ANd if those stats were so important, how much do you think tonight's game lowered Bateman's value?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Don Furner says John Bateman has permission to have negotiations with other clubs

Post by BadnMean »

Boomercm wrote: May 30, 2020, 10:26 pm
yes it was. ANd if those stats were so important, how much do you think tonight's game lowered Bateman's value?
50k. But only to the Raiders.

If I was another team with plodder forwards seeing a fast paced game suited to clever, lighter players... I'd want JB.

If you've watched much UK superleague, it's slightly quicker in big games, with almost no wrestle and looks a bit like NRL now...- hence Hodgo and GWilly loving it.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It’s good leverage to **** the storm like this tonight
But let’s not play here, we’ll be ok without Jb, we’ll be successful with or without him. But we’re a lot better with him

Let’s not lose sight of that
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:It’s good leverage to **** the storm like this tonight
But let’s not play here, we’ll be ok without Jb, we’ll be successful with or without him. But we’re a lot better with him

100%
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Proved tonight that JB is not a critical component to our success. Would love to keep him but if not, so be it. Good luck to him. Raiders will be ok.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Do we think the club would have paid his transfer fee, helped him settle in canberra, allowed him as much freedom as they have to travel back and forward between the uk, bringing his mum and daughter over and shifted tapine to become a middle if this were for a one year deal? The length pf contracts has to start actually meaning something otherwise clubs may as well only sign players for one year at a time
Dont delete this GE
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

:roflmao Contract? These days that has about as much meaning as "salary cap". :roflmao
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Northern Raider wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:20 am Proved tonight that JB is not a critical component to our success. Would love to keep him but if not, so be it. Good luck to him. Raiders will be ok.
I agree as long as everyone else remains on the field. We’re one injury or suspension to taping away from being exposed
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

jimmy82 wrote: May 31, 2020, 10:54 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:20 am Proved tonight that JB is not a critical component to our success. Would love to keep him but if not, so be it. Good luck to him. Raiders will be ok.
I agree as long as everyone else remains on the field. We’re one injury or suspension to taping away from being exposed
A Tapine shoulder charge is only ever a brain snap away...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2020, 12:03 am It’s good leverage to fist the storm like this tonight

With respect you were carrying on that we lost Leilua so we could upgrade Johnny b at the start of this year...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Go on Jonneh. Ruin your career by going to the Dogs for a fraction more coin. Dare ya.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote: May 31, 2020, 11:01 am With respect you were carrying on that we lost Leilua so we could upgrade Johnny b at the start of this year...
That’s what I assumed the move was for, to free up space for the Wighton/JB extensions
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I wonder how much more he would need to get ahead what with tax and house prices/rents differences. My guess is that on a pure cash basis he would need in excess of $125k per annum just to balance the books. Other non cash considerations would depend upon who is throwing the cash around.Talk at the moment is "the usual suspects" Dogs, Titans and Dragons, but you can bet the more cashed up teams will be interested when the whips are cracking. Souths could sure use him from what I saw the other night, Easts would probably take him to prevent other rivals having him, Manly need to replace Joel Thompson soon.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

simo wrote: May 31, 2020, 9:07 am Do we think the club would have paid his transfer fee, helped him settle in canberra, allowed him as much freedom as they have to travel back and forward between the uk, bringing his mum and daughter over and shifted tapine to become a middle if this were for a one year deal? The length pf contracts has to start actually meaning something otherwise clubs may as well only sign players for one year at a time
That's exactly why this move by him sucks ass. The club forked out a fortune to get him here and help him to settle in. It's a bit of an ordinary move to walk out on his contract early, but I guess that's the nature of the business these days.

I just don't think he's worth $800k, so I'm glad the club is holding firm. We can pick up an excellent replacement for 2/3rds of that and retain Cotric at the same time.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Cranky Old Man wrote: May 31, 2020, 5:52 pm I wonder how much more he would need to get ahead what with tax and house prices/rents differences. My guess is that on a pure cash basis he would need in excess of $125k per annum just to balance the books. Other non cash considerations would depend upon who is throwing the cash around.Talk at the moment is "the usual suspects" Dogs, Titans and Dragons, but you can bet the more cashed up teams will be interested when the whips are cracking. Souths could sure use him from what I saw the other night, Easts would probably take him to prevent other rivals having him, Manly need to replace Joel Thompson soon.
Yep, i'd say he probably pockets 100k extra if he gets an 800k deal.Therein lies the power of the brown paper bag.

I hope we are advising him that his playing career and his career in Rugby League don't have to have the same length and the opportunities he gets long term from staying will pay off.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I hope Bateman’s watching this doggies game

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

So at the very least, 100k x 5 years (probably) is half a mill - for bloke looking to make a future in Australia from the back streets of Yorkshire its no great shock.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

simo wrote:Do we think the club would have paid his transfer fee, helped him settle in canberra, allowed him as much freedom as they have to travel back and forward between the uk, bringing his mum and daughter over and shifted tapine to become a middle if this were for a one year deal? The length pf contracts has to start actually meaning something otherwise clubs may as well only sign players for one year at a time
actually Bateman was brought here to play lock.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

CJ42 wrote: May 31, 2020, 7:19 pm
simo wrote:Do we think the club would have paid his transfer fee, helped him settle in canberra, allowed him as much freedom as they have to travel back and forward between the uk, bringing his mum and daughter over and shifted tapine to become a middle if this were for a one year deal? The length pf contracts has to start actually meaning something otherwise clubs may as well only sign players for one year at a time
actually Bateman was brought here to play lock.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
According to?
Dont delete this GE
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I hope Jonneh watched the Drags and is currently watching the Dogs.

I’d need a million dollars more than what I’m on currently to run off of these halves.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm sorry, but he's an absolute idiot if he joins the Bulldogs. Will have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Playing for a successful side that are coming off a grand final and are again a premiership threat this season will be far more beneficial for him long-term in his post-playing career, rather than grabbing cheap cash in an expensive city.

Further to that, he's here with his mates and fellow countrymen. This is a feeling of home that he simply won't have anywhere else.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is an interesting financial aspect of this that i think actually plays into our favour

JB could sign a 4 year, 3.2m deal with the Dragons or Bulldogs, by the end of that deal he'll be 30, have 3.2m in his back pocket and then what? Spending 4 years wasting way with terrible teams, who dont have the talent to compete, what's his deal look like after 30? Or is it back to the ESL to finish his career off and be around his daughter? Coming off what i would say will be 4 pretty miserable years and where he's probably (unfairly) considered a bloated overpaid contract, he'd be looking at a substancial pay decrease if he stuck around in the NRL, especially being 30+

If i were the club, id argue STRONGLY that the best move for him, would be to sign a 3 year/2.1m deal with the Raiders, that will take him to 29, and playing along side Wighton, Williams and Hodgson, at 29 he'd still be in a position to go back into the market and collect another 3 year/2mil+ deal to finish his career off, either with us or at that point, to the highest bidder.

Id argue doing a 3 year deal, allowing him the ability to double dip on contracts in his 20's (and dont kid yourself, that 29/30 thing asbolutely matters in sport), keeps him at a club that should be relevant and successful, and perhaps most importantly, gets a deal done with Issac Moses' name on it, so commission can go his way... that's how i'd be selling if i were the Raiders. You take the hit now to keep yourself in position to maximise overall income through your career. He might not buy that ****, but i'd sell is strongly
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I hate agreeing with you botman.
But yep, that's it in a nutshell...
Get it done already
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2020, 8:02 pm There is an interesting financial aspect of this that i think actually plays into our favour

JB could sign a 4 year, 3.2m deal with the Dragons or Bulldogs, by the end of that deal he'll be 30, have 3.2m in his back pocket and then what? Spending 4 years wasting way with terrible teams, who dont have the talent to compete, what's his deal look like after 30? Or is it back to the ESL to finish his career off and be around his daughter? Coming off what i would say will be 4 pretty miserable years and where he's probably (unfairly) considered a bloated overpaid contract, he'd be looking at a substancial pay decrease if he stuck around in the NRL, especially being 30+

If i were the club, id argue STRONGLY that the best move for him, would be to sign a 3 year/2.1m deal with the Raiders, that will take him to 29, and playing along side Wighton, Williams and Hodgson, at 29 he'd still be in a position to go back into the market and collect another 3 year/2mil+ deal to finish his career off, either with us or at that point, to the highest bidder.

Id argue doing a 3 year deal, allowing him the ability to double dip on contracts in his 20's (and dont kid yourself, that 29/30 thing asbolutely matters in sport), keeps him at a club that should be relevant and successful, and perhaps most importantly, gets a deal done with Issac Moses' name on it, so commission can go his way... that's how i'd be selling if i were the Raiders. You take the hit now to keep yourself in position to maximise overall income through your career. He might not buy that ****, but i'd sell is strongly
:thumbsup This is what a good manager would do. Plus could he really slog it out, so far from home away from his daughter/family etc being a big fish in that little, rancid pond that is the bulldogs?
#GetItDoneFor2.1
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

or he's played above his weight for 8yrs already and the body is starting to wear with a nice fat 4yr deal just what he needs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Raiders new training setup and excellent conditioning staff probably give you an extra season in the game as well.

JB would be crazy to not realise his NRL potential by going to a weak club for an extra few career dollars.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think it would be crazy, taking the money and security in a career as volitile as elite sports can be is not crazy. It's objectively a rational and reasonable decision to make
But im not convinced that going to a bad team that is AT least 3 years will end up being the better move financially long term for the reasons stated above. I think he'd likely earn more money over the course of his career taking a small haircut to stay here than he would taking top dollar at one of these struggling clubs, but it has its risks and its easy to say its a risk worth taking when i dont have to actually **** do it
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think the point about relocation and higher cost of living are good ones too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 31, 2020, 9:40 pm I think the point about relocation and higher cost of living are good ones too.
Financially, absolutely. You're taking a big hit on that in sydney to live where im absolutely certain Big Jonneh would want to be.
But i guess it somewhat offset by the lifestyle stuff and suiting a big sexy stud like Jonneh.

But yeah, if the goal is to make as much money as he can to set himself up for the rest of his life and provide for his daughter, he's probably taking a hit in sydney vs canberra
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's pretty clear that the club will soon start looking elsewhere for a replacement. I do like the idea of picking up a player like Corey Harawira-Naera on the cheap. The club has done a pretty good job of finding players on the scrap heap like CNK, Oldfield and Dave Taylor and giving them a shot. I'm really not that concerned about losing JB.

I'm not sure what the story was with him getting surgery on his shoulder in February (at the end of the preseason), but that seemed quite weird at the time. Now we have this nonsense about his contract.

I don't really care what you bring on the field. It's all starting to get a bit stupid off the field, which is not a good sign for anyone.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 31, 2020, 11:02 pm It's pretty clear that the club will soon start looking elsewhere for a replacement. I do like the idea of picking up a player like Corey Harawira-Naera on the cheap.
How about the no **** policy?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

if im trying to find a replacement for bateman, im looking at someone like liam martin from penrith. hudson young is probably still my pick of them though, having been training in our system already. tough, solid and busy.
Dont delete this GE