Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Bateman confirms he’s heading back to Wigan Warriors in 2021

Post by simo »

This all could have been done without using the gf and carrrying on. Its the right move for him and our club can move on.
4 year deal at home coming off another shoulder surgery. Its a no brainer to take. But again, none of this other carry on was needed to get it.
Dont delete this GE
GMGT
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Johnny Bateman

Post by GMGT »

The whole situation was handled the completely wrong way (by Bateman and his management) BUT, the fact he is going to Wigan and not another Nrl team takes away a lot of the bitterness for me. Would of loved for him to stay for the rest of his career but you can't have it all. At the end of the day, even without Bateman we still have two high class international 2nd rowers.
He was a huge part of our success last year and I wish him all the best going forward. I dont think this is actually too much about money, I highly doubt Wigan offered much more than the 750k we offered and he seems genuine about wanting to return home to be with family. If he was leaving to join another nrl team on big money I wouldn't of been very happy with him to say the least.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: OFFICIAL: John Bateman to depart Raiders at end of 2020

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm not sure the exact figure we paid him this year and last, but it seems to be in the order of $580k per season. If you add the $360k transfer fee, the club will have forked out $1.52 million for about 1 season's worth of games...if he gets back on the field this season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

GMGT wrote: July 4, 2020, 7:47 am The whole situation was handled the completely wrong way (by Bateman and his management) BUT, the fact he is going to Wigan and not another Nrl team takes away a lot of the bitterness for me. Would of loved for him to stay for the rest of his career but you can't have it all. At the end of the day, even without Bateman we still have two high class international 2nd rowers.
He was a huge part of our success last year and I wish him all the best going forward. I dont think this is actually too much about money, I highly doubt Wigan offered much more than the 750k we offered and he seems genuine about wanting to return home to be with family. If he was leaving to join another nrl team on big money I wouldn't of been very happy with him to say the least.
It has been widely reported that Wigan have offered him $500k per season. Unless you're SBW, the money on offer there is far less than what players earn here.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Coastalraider wrote: July 3, 2020, 11:41 am The end game here was all about money, not family. That much is obvious from all the info released.

If it was about family, there would have been no lobbying for an increase, no shopping to other teams, no deadline on contract confirmation and no bitter press release from the Raiders.

All we would have had is a glowing joint press release from John and the team, explaining how great the relationship had been, but due to family reason bought to a head due to the restrictions around covid, John would be returning home. We would all understand, and send him off with best wishes.

Dont get me wrong, the result may be that he goes home, but that wasnt the aim or this would have played out very differently.
Orrrrr maybe it really is about family but he decided to kill two birds with one stone and try to get the best possible wage from wigan. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest If he didn't even consider the other nrl offers and just used them for leverage in trying to get wigan to raise their offer.
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2020, 7:50 am
GMGT wrote: July 4, 2020, 7:47 am The whole situation was handled the completely wrong way (by Bateman and his management) BUT, the fact he is going to Wigan and not another Nrl team takes away a lot of the bitterness for me. Would of loved for him to stay for the rest of his career but you can't have it all. At the end of the day, even without Bateman we still have two high class international 2nd rowers.
It has been widely reported that Wigan have offered him $500k per season. Unless you're SBW, the money on offer there is far less than what players earn here.
Well there you go. I don't see how people can try to claim that it's all about the money and not family 😂 So according to some on here he is a money hungry bastard who is only leaving to chase the dollar signs... even though he will be earning 200-300k less over there than what he would be in the nrl. Some people really don't know how to apply logic do they???
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I’ve never really forgiven Bateman for bringing up his contract negotiations during grand final week last year. Then shutting the door on Raiders offer of $750k per year because he thought he could do better than coming back.

I’m glad this chapter is over
GMGT
Simon Woolford

Post by GMGT »

LastRaider wrote: July 4, 2020, 7:57 am I’ve never really forgiven Bateman for bringing up his contract negotiations during grand final week last year. Then shutting the door on Raiders offer of $750k per year because he thought he could do better than coming back.

I’m glad this chapter is over
I think we can probably say with near certainty that the grand final week shenanigans were quite clearly the work of his grubby manager. I can't for the life of me imagine why John would want to bring that negative attention to himself in the lead up to the clubs biggest game in decades. It just does not make sense. Moses on the other hand is probably a roosters fan and decided to drop a bomb in grand final week.
I think the more you look at this with logic and prospective it becomes quite clear that Bateman does not deserve to be thrown under the bus..but hey, that's just me.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

Seiffert82 wrote:I'm not sure the exact figure we paid him this year and last, but it seems to be in the order of $580k per season. If you add the $360k transfer fee, the club will have forked out $1.52 million for about 1 season's worth of games...if he gets back on the field this season.
Worth it. It got us to our first grand final in 25 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rads1984 wrote: July 4, 2020, 8:07 am
Seiffert82 wrote:I'm not sure the exact figure we paid him this year and last, but it seems to be in the order of $580k per season. If you add the $360k transfer fee, the club will have forked out $1.52 million for about 1 season's worth of games...if he gets back on the field this season.

It helped.

This is part of the problem. Moses and the media have gotten into his ear and made him think it was all about him.

Hodgo, Papa, Wighton, CNK and Whitehead were all outstanding last season. Arguably near the best in their respective positions. Bateman started the season on fire, but that slightly diminished as the year went on. His impact in attack in the Grand Final and Prelim Final last year was down. His PTB speed in the Grand Final was terrible (however he was immense in defence, which probably explains it).

Yes, he helped to set the tone for a good season and yes he was outstanding, but it wasn't just about him.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for him to commit to the club long term, but I also think a little too much has been made about him being the main factor in our Grand Final appearance.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 4, 2020, 8:24 am

It helped.

This is part of the problem. Moses and the media have gotten into his ear and made him think it was all about him.

Hodgo, Papa, Wighton, CNK and Whitehead were all outstanding last season. Arguably near the best in their respective positions. Bateman started the season on fire, but that slightly diminished as the year went on. His impact in attack in the Grand Final and Prelim Final last year was down. His PTB speed in the Grand Final was terrible (however he was immense in defence, which probably explains it).

Yes, he helped to set the tone for a good season and yes he was outstanding, but it wasn't just about him.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for him to commit to the club long term, but I also think a little too much has been made about him being the main factor in our Grand Final appearance.
Exactly.
A lot of our team were playing better than ever last season.
Bateman wasn’t the reason we made the grand final and this hyperbolic narrative needs to stop.
Who cares anymore?
The club did the best thing possible and I’ll back the club again in the same circumstances.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yep and he was a huge part of it
I’m glad he’s going home, and I’m glad i got to see him play and appreciate him as a footballer

Hopefully he can get back on the field for us and create more memories
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

This could really bode well for us back end of this season. I know he will likely not be as strong considering the shoulder - but the competitiveness and ferocity Bateman will bring back to this side knowing it's his last crack at the NRL (at least for a couple of years). If we can be there or thereabouts, the steel he will bring could get us close again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
DarkRaider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by DarkRaider »

I’m glad this is over and I’m glad he’s going back to England as opposed to an NRL rival. I like to think John’s focus will now turn to leaving his mark on the NRL forever and going home with a premiership. Knowing the competitor he is, I’m confident he’ll stop at nothing in his quest to make that happen.

From what Sticky said last night hopefully we can have him back around Round 15, which is enough time for him to warm up for a massive finals campaign if we’re well placed enough.

I’ve now been to two Grand Finals in a row featuring JB. Would love to make it three.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

DarkRaider wrote:I’m glad this is over and I’m glad he’s going back to England as opposed to an NRL rival. I like to think John’s focus will now turn to leaving his mark on the NRL forever and going home with a premiership. Knowing the competitor he is, I’m confident he’ll stop at nothing in his quest to make that happen.

From what Sticky said last night hopefully we can have him back around Round 15, which is enough time for him to warm up for a massive finals campaign if we’re well placed enough.

I’ve now been to two Grand Finals in a row featuring JB. Would love to make it three.
I also reckon Stickys 6-8 weeks could be 5-6 weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

If he wins a premiership this year he will be a Raiders god
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

The GF announcement was a cheap shot - I think he has lived to regret it.
Perhaps no Covid and his daughter could visit he eould be elsewhere in the NRL - I don't think it eould have been with the Raiders.
At least this has been put to bed and we can concentrate on 2020.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Convenient to play the winning trophies card and the constantly-cited family card, now that the big money offers are in the wind....

Bateman has exercised his free will throughout. He opted to leave trophies and family in the UK to come here, and it was on this commitment that our club decided to hand over a not-insignificant transfer fee to Wigan. We even agreed very generous terms in the player’s favour regarding annual renegotiation of contract! How many other players have been afforded these luxuries? As has been argued by others - there are two other players just on our team who are potentially more deserving of this treatment due to their loyalty and longer service to the club that decided to chance their arm on them in the NRL.

But instead we have been subjected to this circus without even a full season under Bateman’s belt... with the grand final week antics demonstrating the ultimate disrespect to the club’s support in making his wishes happen (again - his own free will).

So whilst he made some great on-field memories in his 20-odd games for us, he can go home with his tail between his legs and be remembered for the dishonest and disrespectful grub that he is. Blaming Moses let’s him off the hook too easily, Bateman is a big boy and must stand by his decisions.

100% behind how the club has handled this - time to move on, hopefully his replacement is more appreciative of the opportunities to wear the mighty lime green.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

The best thing about this is we have now consistently as a club made offers to players reflective of what we believe they are worth to us. Players that have played games with contracts have been told like it or lump it.

I hope this signals to players that they shouldn't bother with the reputational damage and keep the negotiations discrete.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: July 3, 2020, 11:42 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 3, 2020, 9:52 pm
BJ wrote: July 3, 2020, 8:45 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 3, 2020, 5:20 pm I don't think he had a clear idea of what he wanted to be honest. The fact he's heading home actually confuses the motivation a bit.

He's earning good money and his daughter will be well catered for irrespective of his next contract. It's the 30 odd years of work after he retires which he probably needs to start thinking about.

Oh, and how do we get our transfer fee back from Wigan if he breaks his contract with us to head home!!
It doesn't sound like he did break his contract. From all reports the year three option was in his favour.

It wasn’t a contract with an option in his favour.

It was an option to sit down and discuss each year where he felt his value was at. The Raiders upped it to $750k so that would have fulfilled the Raiders side of the contract.
Plenty of media at the time reported it as two years with an option in his favour. So even if that changed with the renegotiation last year the transfer fee was still paid with only two years guaranteed.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/45112383
Yeah, but after that Bateman said that he didn't know where that report about how he'd return to Wigan after two years. Wigan clearly decided to issue a press release which had scant regard to the actual written contract. It might have reflected what was said in vague terms... But it was pretty clearly wrong.
Even simpler then - we willingly released him so why would we be due back any transfer fee? There would need to be a clause in the original contract with Wigan stating he had to play three years for the transfer fee to hold up. I don't think any transfer fee ever written up would hold such a clause.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think this could have been played out better by the Bateman camp, but it is what it is. I'm proud of how the club handled it. I am 100% devastated he is leaving though, he is a gun player and played a huge part in getting us to the GF last year.

I will say though that I don't begrudge him going home. I became a father for the first time last year and have spent 3 days away from her since she was born. Those 3 days were ****. I can only imagine what it is like for John to be half a world away from his daughter.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As much as I love him, he doesn't strike me as very bright.

Moses led him up the garden path and he willingly obeyed, "if you sign with me I'll get you more money", "you can get more than that"

I can't begrudge him if he came out and said I want to go home, but you'd think he's literally only going home as it's the only cards left on the table worthwhile

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Thats ok then, go home to ya kid.NOW **** give it a dig and stop throwing bits of rolled up paper at some gronk in the crowd( as seen on fox) and **** get on the field...BTW Whitehead **** all over ya.
This place is woke.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: July 4, 2020, 4:54 pm As much as I love him, he doesn't strike me as very bright.

Moses led him up the garden path and he willingly obeyed, "if you sign with me I'll get you more money", "you can get more than that"

I can't begrudge him if he came out and said I want to go home, but you'd think he's literally only going home as it's the only cards left on the table worthwhile

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I think he just took a couple of gambles that backfired.

GF week backfired when we didn't win- left a sour taste.That's on him.

Negotiating during a shoulder operation backfired when it didn't work and he needed a second one- the fact he hadn't signed the first generous Raiders offer meant any subsequent offer from ANY club would surely be lower given a possibly chronic injury. That's on him.

Through no fault of his own, his plan to juggle fatherhood and NRL became vastly harder and more complicated when a worldwide pandemic hit and suddenly the planned visits which provided bright spots evaporated, suddenly you feel people are in danger and a world away...

I hope he plays some good footy this season and brings the trophy.

Ultimately in the book of JB's life we're a chapter or two at best. His days growing up as a scallywag, early fatherhood, making the grade at Bradford, glory at Wigan... they'll all be more central to him than his NRL jaunt. That said- he could leave with some bloody special moments and a well earned handshake if we get another crack at that GF...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Bateman saga won't deter Canberra's English Raiders

The Canberra Raiders will continue to do exactly that on English talent, with the saga surrounding John Bateman's return to Wigan failing to deter the Green Machine from raiding their happy hunting ground.

They were resigned to losing Bateman when they secured the services of promising second-rower Harry Rushton, also from Wigan and also on a three-year deal. Rushton's arrival next season will keep the number of English players on their roster to five.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... #gsc.tab=0

Homesick John Bateman confirms Wigan return after Canberra Raiders exit: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/john-batem ... d1fc003f65

‘I want to win more trophies’: Raiders star confirms he’s heading home to England: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 53ef4fca79

The heartbreaking call proving why Bateman is heading home: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2b435aee13
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Good , Elliot needs help poor **** cant do it alone.
This place is woke.
Wiganer83
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Wiganer83 »

I’m made up he’s coming back to us in Wigan. I think you can see from the call with his family the reasons behind it. I go to pretty much every game home and away that Wigan play and his mum, daughter, brother and his brothers family are in with the Wigan fans every single week. It’s clearly been tough not being around them as they’re clearly extremely close.

There’s certainly been some mistakes on his part regarding how his exit has been handled and it seems like it’s been manufactured a little to both get the release from you guys but to also maximise his offer from us. The rumours round these parts are that his mind was made up to do 2 seasons and then come home a year ago and he was always going to do this season at the Raiders then come back to the UK in 2021. Him agitating for moves to other NRL clubs may well have been used to put extra pounds on his Wigan contract.

You’ve signed a top young player in Harry Rushton by the way. He may not be ready for first team for another year or so after he arrives but at 18, he’s a big lad, athletic and has been smashing the junior and reserve grades here. He’d have probably got a game for our first team this season had he not been leaving but not sure now. Gutted to see him go.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Part of me feels like this whole " I'm going home because of family and i love Wigan " stuff is a big PR exercise to make Bateman and his scum manager look better

Fact is if he had been able to get more money he would have stayed. They played hard ball, we played harder ball, they lost

Yes i think he does miss his daughter and wants to be with her but 800 thousand dollars would have helped him miss her less
Vaccinated
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:Yes i think he does miss his daughter and wants to be with her but 800 thousand dollars would have helped him miss her less
Kind of surprised with your thoughts on the matter. Past posts had me think you were a bit family focused, so I thought you would have a different reaction to this news.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 4, 2020, 9:18 pm
cat wrote:Yes i think he does miss his daughter and wants to be with her but 800 thousand dollars would have helped him miss her less
Kind of surprised with your thoughts on the matter. Past posts had me think you were a bit family focused, so I thought you would have a different reaction to this news.
Don't get me wrong, i think its the best option for him and do think he misses his daughter

But i do think this is great PR by issac moses.
Moses is a bit cranky at the raiders right now, Ricky pretty much showed the world the true moses. Since then warriors have decided to let go the 2 players managered by him and a load of pressure has come down from the broncos

If it was truly about just getting home to his daughter he wouldn't have tried to get big dollars from the dogs
He would have also asked for a compassionate release immediately from the raiders due to the situation in the uk
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im curious about this idea that if he could have stayed for 800k he would have and that means he's about money and not family
Like that makes perfect sense to me... his position is if he's going to sacrifice for his family, he wants to be paid above and beyond to do so, and when that was not on offer, he went home.
And yes, this was handled appalling but i dont doubt for one second everything JB has done has been done with the motivation of providing the best possible life for his daughter.

There seems to be this idea that you can only be about the money or your family, as if the obtaining a serious amount of coin doesnt substancially help your family.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

cat wrote:Part of me feels like this whole " I'm going home because of family and i love Wigan " stuff is a big PR exercise to make Bateman and his scum manager look better

Fact is if he had been able to get more money he would have stayed. They played hard ball, we played harder ball, they lost

Yes i think he does miss his daughter and wants to be with her but 800 thousand dollars would have helped him miss her less
Facts huh? You're not real good on them Cat.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Botman wrote:Im curious about this idea that if he could have stayed for 800k he would have and that means he's about money and not family
Like that makes perfect sense to me... his position is if he's going to sacrifice for his family, he wants to be paid above and beyond to do so, and when that was not on offer, he went home.
And yes, this was handled appalling but i dont doubt for one second everything JB has done has been done with the motivation of providing the best possible life for his daughter.

There seems to be this idea that you can only be about the money or your family, as if the obtaining a serious amount of coin doesnt substancially help your family.
So spot on. Not sure why others can’t see this?

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Very naive to believe the Moses spin on this saga.
I doubt he’s on the plane home to the UK if the money he was conned into thinking would be attainable by Moses materialised.
That being said, he didn’t exactly cover himself in glory by allowing his agent to act out the way he did in the lead up to the GF.
Nor the decision to delay surgery on his shoulder effectively robbing the club of his services for the start of the season.
Give me Whitehead all day every day over Bateman.
Get back the Ten
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Get back the Ten »

Hudson Young will fill Bateman’s boot with some work he will produce the goods that the Raiders need