Canberra Raiders sign young English forward Harry Rushton

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders sign young English forward Harry Rushton

Post by bonehead »

moto748 wrote:Heh! I've seen that before!

What happens if a guy comes from the Northern Territory or somewhere else in Australia? Surely that must have happened a few times? Would it devolve down to, whichever NRL club he played for?
League is only really played in Qld and NSW, eligibility basically comes from where you play your first senior footy (u16s and up) so a kid from say Melbourne once he plays sg ball in nsw or the qld equivalent (meninga cup?) that's it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

moto748 wrote: October 14, 2020, 12:49 am Heh! I've seen that before!

What happens if a guy comes from the Northern Territory or somewhere else in Australia? Surely that must have happened a few times? Would it devolve down to, whichever NRL club he played for?
State of Origin eligibility rules: https://www.qrl.com.au/siteassets/about ... -rules.pdf
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

so it's all changed

Edrick The Entertainer
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2020, 5:01 am

State of Origin eligibility rules: https://www.qrl.com.au/siteassets/about ... -rules.pdf
Thanks! So the answer to my question is, in that unlikely event, no, you are not eligible. Unless your dad played.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

When did those rules change?

James McManus, for example, was born in Scotland and played all of his junior footy in the Northern Territory until age 18. He still played for NSW.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: October 14, 2020, 4:45 pm When did those rules change?

James McManus, for example, was born in Scotland and played all of his junior footy in the Northern Territory until age 18. He still played for NSW.
In 2012.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There are rules?!? :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Harry Rushton gets his visa but now comes hard part... getting a plane ticket to Australia

Harry Rushton's got a visa, but now comes the hard part... getting the Raiders recruit a plane ticket.

"His visa's been cleared, but it's a matter now of trying to get a flight," Ricky Stuart said. "That's looking a little bit healthier now, but then again we've got to get a flight and I think that might be the hard part."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Im sure some yacht company would love to hire one out from england to aus then he wont have to worry about a plane ticket and itd be far more comfier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

He'll be here by January.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Elcaptcroker wrote: October 27, 2020, 4:17 pm Im sure some yacht company would love to hire one out from england to aus then he wont have to worry about a plane ticket and itd be far more comfier

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Finite wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: October 27, 2020, 4:17 pm Im sure some yacht company would love to hire one out from england to aus then he wont have to worry about a plane ticket and itd be far more comfier

ImageImageImage just arrest him for stealing bread

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

According to a Facebook post from Peter Mulholland in The Greenhouse Facebook group young Harry is due into quarantine 5th December.

Harry Rushton should be training 20/12 he arrives for quarantine 5/12.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1987987 ... 460564534/

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Harry Rushton gets ticket to Canberra Raiders

Canberra Raiders recruit Harry Rushton is expected to land in Australia December 5 and should be able to start training after he's completed quarantine two weeks later. Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland made the revelation on Green Machine fan forum The Greenhouse's Facebook page.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Thats good news.
I look forward to seeing how he goes.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

MrPosh wrote: June 25, 2020, 6:25 am
Botman wrote: June 24, 2020, 8:40 pm
Raiders666 wrote: June 24, 2020, 8:33 pm Who is to say he has to wait years before he plays? Haas proves that theory wrong
Haas has come through a significantly higher level of competition..Haas is also a freak athelete. I have no idea what this guy is athletically. But im going to guess he's not on Haas's level (very few people walking this earth are)

Like with all 18 year old signings, i'd be surprised if he plays FG. Most 18's signed dont. No one has he has to wait even a year to play, let alone years, if he's good enough he'll play, but given the step up and transition period and that he's a forward, it's a more realistic expectation to think if he's good, he's probably a year or two away.

If he exceeds that, that's A-ok with me.
I know there's no question of NRL v Super League in terms of quality, but I doubt there's a higher standard of junior football anywhere than Wigan.

If there were three more Wigans in England you lot would never win a test match again.
If there three more Wigan’s England would still get beaten by Australia
Cricket, union, tennis, golf (all of these aus would have significantly less juniors, fair dinkum) the only thing the English do consistently better then Australia is soccer...
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Comes as a surprise to most Australians that England has beaten Oz by 300% in the last couple of Olympic medal tallies (a factor significantly greater than population alone would explain). And we haven't beaten Britain since 2004.

Ashes series are 5-5 since 2000.

English union has walloped Oz union - winning the last 7 straight, no need for a countback.

Murray has won more majors more recently than any Aussie.

Does Australian even have any good golfers anymore? England have a major winner...

It's not 2000 anymore. The funding has been pulled, the AIS ripped apart and Oz sport is at a low ebb internationally imo.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

papabear wrote: November 4, 2020, 6:54 am
MrPosh wrote: June 25, 2020, 6:25 am
Botman wrote: June 24, 2020, 8:40 pm
Raiders666 wrote: June 24, 2020, 8:33 pm Who is to say he has to wait years before he plays? Haas proves that theory wrong
Haas has come through a significantly higher level of competition..Haas is also a freak athelete. I have no idea what this guy is athletically. But im going to guess he's not on Haas's level (very few people walking this earth are)

Like with all 18 year old signings, i'd be surprised if he plays FG. Most 18's signed dont. No one has he has to wait even a year to play, let alone years, if he's good enough he'll play, but given the step up and transition period and that he's a forward, it's a more realistic expectation to think if he's good, he's probably a year or two away.

If he exceeds that, that's A-ok with me.
I know there's no question of NRL v Super League in terms of quality, but I doubt there's a higher standard of junior football anywhere than Wigan.

If there were three more Wigans in England you lot would never win a test match again.
If there three more Wigan’s England would still get beaten by Australia
Cricket, union, tennis, golf (all of these aus would have significantly less juniors, fair dinkum) the only thing the English do consistently better then Australia is soccer...
English Union is light years ahead of the WB’s. And so it should be when you look how many play the game there...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Lol at cherry picking stats per the above.

GB went into funding there olympics for the london olympics and they are still seeing a run off of that.

Also GB includes scotland and wales doesnt it?

Rugby union Aus 25 England 25
Eng - 2309 clubs 343k registered players
Aus 700 clubs 86k registered players

Despite three times the player pool they have won one less world cup and an even head to head rating. They also have more control of the rules of the game to make rugby a forward **** instead of game watchable by humans.... like playing test cricket only in india.

Honestly if that was australias record I would be embarassed to mention it. So the ho humming badnmean cherry picking stat **** heads can go shove this one.

Cricket Aus 136 Eng 108
with series win having aus ahead by 1. which would agree with my anecdotal thoughts that england tend to eek out victories in english conditions and get butt humped here.
Hard to find player numbers but it appears cricket is very much on the nose in england and well played here, although cricket aus have been known for inflating figures. Why people dont play cricket I do not know.

Tennis
My quick count had australia at 138 grand slam wins
Great Britian (not england) at 91 - since 76 no one from the uk had won anything until andy murray from SCOTLAND came along and picked up 3. This also includes a number of wimbledon wins that I imagine was mostly contested by english people, australians have done similar well in the australian open, however there advantage would be a bit less given air travel and the tournament not being as old as wimbledon.

Can I just get a repeat that Andy Murray is from Scotland.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I forgot to mention darts.

The english are better at us at darts.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Why include games in your own example and then deride them as if they shouldn't be included? You set the agenda on the sports. If you didn't want to talk about it, don't bring it up to start with.

Looking at UK vs Oz, murray etc are included. Hence the relevance of Olympic stats.

And they weren't cherry picked, I just looked at the last 20 years or so, the most relevant period.

Can I just repeat, Andy Murray is from the UK.

It's a bit weak when you want to deride a nations sporting status, then have it pointed out they have crushed our own over the last 20 years, then want to start whining about all the unfairness and advantages...

Australia used to be quite good at sports. We no longer are really, but our national self image hasn't shifted yet. We no longer punch above our weight in sports and have slipped into the top 7 in obesity rates (among 28 OECD nations).
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Geez, I was only trying to say that if he's from Wigan's development area, the chances of getting a good one are much higher.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: November 4, 2020, 4:18 pm Geez, I was only trying to say that if he's from Wigan's development area, the chances of getting a good one are much higher.
Don't take any notice! ;) :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Looking forward to having Harry onboard.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

moto748 wrote: October 14, 2020, 11:23 am
greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2020, 5:01 am

Thanks! So the answer to my question is, in that unlikely event, no, you are not eligible. Unless your dad played.
I think in practice they would find a way to make you eligible. I couldn’t see there being a case where a player can play for the Kangaroos but not origin.

There have been some talented players coming through the Victorian system including going through the League program at Mt Ridley High who play in the schoolboy cup (at least outside of Covid times). However most of them are eligible for a Pacific nation.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BadnMean wrote: November 4, 2020, 10:57 am
Does Australian even have any good golfers anymore? England have a major winner...

Day, Scott, Leishman and Smith are world class and there is a lot of talent coming through.

Even more so with the women.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Bay53 wrote: November 4, 2020, 10:18 pm

Day, Scott, Leishman and Smith are world class and there is a lot of talent coming through.

So a two random one off winners. Very good.

Looks like it's 4:1 UK vs Oz in the top 20 golfers though... And I mean one UK golfer has double the majors of Oz combined... without even counting other UK golfers... (unless the argument is Tas is not Australia and NI is not UK?)

I mean eyeball test as a casual fan I'd say golf in oz has rarely been weaker. No real major chances. Not even a high ranker who chokes a lot. Rarely up the winning chance in a major at all for near a decade. Once again, I'd say Oz used to be quite good at golf, but is not anymore.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BadnMean wrote: November 4, 2020, 11:05 pm

Looks like it's 4:1 UK vs Oz in the top 20 golfers though... And I mean one UK golfer has double the majors of Oz combined... without even counting other UK golfers... (unless the argument is Tas is not Australia and NI is not UK?)

I mean eyeball test as a casual fan I'd say golf in oz has rarely been weaker. No real major chances. Not even a high ranker who chokes a lot. Rarely up the winning chance in a major at all for near a decade. Once again, I'd say Oz used to be quite good at golf, but is not anymore.
If you are judging golf success only by majors then England is hardly the benchmark. There are only two current players that have won a major - Willett and Rose and they only have one each.

They do have Hatton, Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick and Casey who are very capable of winning and would be considered a quartet better than the top 4 Aussies but there are plenty of Aussie talent out there.

** McIlroy is an interesting one - he is from Northern Ireland but he deliberately stays out of the debate as to whether he represents Great Britain or Ireland. For the Olympics Northern Irish sports people can choose to play for Team GB or Ireland. He very much wanted to stay out of it and was never going to play in Rio.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pumped he'll be here in time for pre season mostly
I think he's probably EXTREMELY long odds from contributing this year or next based on our pack depth, but he's a young kid and clearly very talented, excited to have him
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

BadnMean wrote: November 4, 2020, 3:17 pm Why include games in your own example and then deride them as if they shouldn't be included? You set the agenda on the sports. If you didn't want to talk about it, don't bring it up to start with.

Looking at UK vs Oz, murray etc are included. Hence the relevance of Olympic stats.

And they weren't cherry picked, I just looked at the last 20 years or so, the most relevant period.

Can I just repeat, Andy Murray is from the UK.

It's a bit weak when you want to deride a nations sporting status, then have it pointed out they have crushed our own over the last 20 years, then want to start whining about all the unfairness and advantages...

Australia used to be quite good at sports. We no longer are really, but our national self image hasn't shifted yet. We no longer punch above our weight in sports and have slipped into the top 7 in obesity rates (among 28 OECD nations).
Dude, the original question being responded to was england would beat australia in league if it had 3 wigans.

My response was in general you are dreaming.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Golf is an interesting one, again I dont know when the conversation turned into UK v OZ when it was england verse aus.

If you include NZ (scotland) then pick a country for the rest of GB then I am sure Australia improves across the board, put NZ with australia and the UK will never beat us at rugby league or rugby union (even with 10 wigans) except for the occasional tilt against trend.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

papabear wrote: November 9, 2020, 9:51 am

Golf is an interesting one, again I dont know when the conversation turned into UK v OZ when it was england verse aus.

If you include NZ (scotland) then pick a country for the rest of GB then I am sure Australia improves across the board, put NZ with australia and the UK will never beat us at rugby league or rugby union (even with 10 wigans) except for the occasional tilt against trend.
That's a bad analogy.

In sporting terms, we are definitely Great Britain (occasionally with Northern Ireland) for everything, except for football and, I guess, rugby union.

Even cricket is really a GB team, despite being called England.

It's moot in rugby league, as it's all English - with a couple of Welsh players kicking about. Almost all the players playing for the other countries are heritage players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Harry Rushton has arrived in Australia... looks like he's in quarantine with a view of Darling Harbour.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders recruit Harry Rushton arrived in Australia today... and settles into quarantine

He's got a two-bedroom apartment to allow room for his weights and rowing machine, a view of Darling Harbour, a fridge full of food and to make him feel at home - some caramel popcorn. Canberra Raiders recruit Harry Rushton started his two weeks' quarantine on Tuesday, which will have him in the ACT almost in time for the start of pre-season on 7 December.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seems the Raiders were able to get Harry on an earlier flight after his planned flight into Melbourne was cancelled. Origin players won't return until next year, as they haven't had their six weeks break, while Sam Williams has decided to stay next year.