Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Your predicted Canberra Raiders team for next year?

Post by Botman »

He played on the edge in the Cronulla game and he actually kind of sucked. The only impact he made in that game was on one of the rare occasions he came into the middle of the field to take a run. Immediately made something happen.

He's a servicable edge, a JAG.
He's an x-factor as a middle
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Disagree with an outside back on the bench that was mentioned earlier. Havili or Starling to be the utility.

Whitehead covers halves.
A slimmer, fitter CHN via Tapine/Young covers centre.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We played an outside back on the bench every game bar one before CHN got here and only didn't play one thereafter because Bateman, a guy experienced in playing there and could play well, was the cover. CHN, Tapine, Young..... none of those guys can play there competently.

It'd be a highly surprising move if he doesn't play one again next season - we don't need three genuine middle forwards on the bench anyway.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: December 28, 2020, 2:27 pm
Wiki Special wrote: December 28, 2020, 2:00 pm At the end of last season I think Papa (obviously), Tapine and Young had clearly stamped themselves as our coaches preferred middle combination. I will be surprised if they don't get first shot at 8, 10, 13. The 3 bench forwards is going to be intriguing.
Not sure about that. The 1st 2, sure, but I think Ricky likes Huddos impact off the pine.
I agree that Young adds great value off the bench too, wherever he ends up as long as he is in our 17 I am happy. I just feel that if the Coach puts you into the starting lineup for our biggest clashes of the Season in 2020 (Roosters, Storm in Elimination matches) then there is a strong chance he'll get first crack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: December 28, 2020, 5:32 pm The issue is Hodgson is rarely in form inside the 20 metres. There... I said it. He needs to do a lot of work to lift his game. Frankly, I thought the team looked better in the second half of the year, with Starling and Havili at dummy half, than in the first.
Without a shadow of a doubt.

IMO, Hodgo going down was an absolute turning point of our season. Not only that, but it escalated the development of Wighton and Williams as our halves combo.

It wasn't a popular opinion at the time, but I absolutely felt that our season got back on track when he got injured.

Hopefully he comes back a more balanced player.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 29, 2020, 10:55 am
greeneyed wrote: December 28, 2020, 5:32 pm The issue is Hodgson is rarely in form inside the 20 metres. There... I said it. He needs to do a lot of work to lift his game. Frankly, I thought the team looked better in the second half of the year, with Starling and Havili at dummy half, than in the first.
I’d like to think that Hodgos game will be made simpler with George and Jack running the show.

If y’all know what I mean..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: December 29, 2020, 11:00 am
I’d like to think that Hodgos game will be made simpler with George and Jack running the show.

I'd like to think so to. Was just about to say that our play out of dummy half was far simpler when Hodgo was out, and we looked much better for it.

Still a lot of improvement to come. Our 3/4s were mostly horrendous last year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: December 29, 2020, 11:03 am
-PJ- wrote: December 29, 2020, 11:00 am

I'd like to think so to. Was just about to say that our play out of dummy half was far simpler when Hodgo was out, and we looked much better for it.

Still a lot of improvement to come. Our 3/4s were mostly horrendous last year.
Stick will have a plan.
I’m expecting a fit Hodgo to return with a lot less to do.
Good service from dummy half..feed George and Jack the ball.

Hodgo was 100% running our attack and was overplaying his hand so much he became annoying.
Things will be different in 21 I reckon.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: December 29, 2020, 9:06 am
Wiki Special wrote: December 28, 2020, 2:00 pm At the end of last season I think Papa (obviously), Tapine and Young had clearly stamped themselves as our coaches preferred middle combination. I will be surprised if they don't get first shot at 8, 10, 13. The 3 bench forwards is going to be intriguing.
Not sure about that. The 1st 2, sure, but I think Ricky likes Huddos impact off the pine.
I agree that Young adds great value off the bench too, wherever he ends up as long as he is in our 17 I am happy. I just feel that if the Coach puts you into the starting lineup for our biggest clashes of the Season in 2020 (Roosters, Storm in Elimination matches) then there is a strong chance he'll get first crack.
Well...
If Ricky goes with Tapine at 10, and Young at 13, almost makes picking the bench easier, coz they need to be impactful players, ie Guler, Horse and Suttgod
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: December 29, 2020, 11:48 am
Well...
If Ricky goes with Tapine at 10, and Young at 13, almost makes picking the bench easier, coz they need to be impactful players, ie Guler, Horse and Suttgod
To be honest, our bench looks more balanced with Young on it and Horsburgh starting but either way it is a great problem to have.

I am very interested to see what roles Sia, Lui and James play this year. I only see room for one of them in our 17 to be honest. I wouldn't be averse to a Lui player swap either if a deal presented itself.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: December 29, 2020, 12:00 pm
Matt wrote: December 29, 2020, 11:48 am
Well...
To be honest, our bench looks more balanced with Young on it and Horsburgh starting but either way it is a great problem to have.

I am very interested to see what roles Sia, Lui and James play this year. I only see room for one of them in our 17 to be honest. I wouldn't be averse to a Lui player swap either if a deal presented itself.
I too feel like we have 1 too many middles. A swap would be interesting
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lui stepped up and became an origin player in 2020, he'll be in the 17.

For me the starting middles will be 3 of Papa, Tapine, Lui and James. If James is fit he's picked.

Guler, Hors, Young Sutton fighting for the bench with whoever Lui and James don't start.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Geez we are rich for forwards..
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: December 29, 2020, 4:08 pm Lui stepped up and became an origin player in 2020, he'll be in the 17.

For me the starting middles will be 3 of Papa, Tapine, Lui and James. If James is fit he's picked.

Guler, Hors, Young Sutton fighting for the bench with whoever Lui and James don't start.

Ricky is kidding himself if he picks 2 of Lui, James and Sia.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: December 29, 2020, 4:08 pm Lui stepped up and became an origin player in 2020, he'll be in the 17.

Ricky is kidding himself if he picks 2 of Lui, James and Sia.
Lui just played origin, James is a class middle and we know what Sia brings

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote: Ricky is kidding himself if he picks 2 of Lui, James and Sia.
Matt is kidding himself if he thinks Ricky won’t.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: December 29, 2020, 7:10 pm
You're both right.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't think Sia makes the top 17 if all players are fit.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 29, 2020, 7:12 pm
gangrenous wrote: December 29, 2020, 7:10 pm
You're both right.
I know... its infuriating
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why the Canberra Raiders have the potential to be stronger in 2021

In 2021 the Canberra Raiders will be bolstered by the return of key players coming back from injury and the emergence of several promising juniors, meaning the Raiders that take on Wests Tigers in next year’s opening round could feature as many as five changes from the lineup that ended the 2020 season.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/why-the-canberr ... 021/427304
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

We have 3 x 8,10, 13 lines.
1 - Papa tapa horse
2 - James guler young
3 - Lui soliola sutton
Going to be some healthy af competition and i agree with those saying a trade should be on the cards to increase backrow competition
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

simo wrote: December 30, 2020, 7:22 pm We have 3 x 8,10, 13 lines.
1 - Papa tapa horse
2 - James guler young
3 - Lui soliola sutton
Going to be some healthy af competition and i agree with those saying a trade should be on the cards to increase backrow competition
Thats a very very solid rotation.
Can we play interchanges like ice hockey? Coz "line change" looks pretty good for Raiders fans.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

The forward battle will be epic. I love the fact that we almost certainly won't be backing up Papa after Origin and can rest the niggles throughout the year and not lose much. But I am very interested in what we do at 14. When Hodgson first comes back (hopefully Round 1) Starling will likely get that spot but when we are near Finals I'd love to be in a position where our young outside backs have flourished and we can play a Rapana there for the last 30 minutes through the middle like a second fullback.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

It’s so important for the young forwards to realise that to get a first grade position they will have to out train and out play senior forwards like Papa, Sia, Lui and James.

The young guys will either rise to a level they didn’t think possible or not be good enough.

This is exactly how the best forward packs and players have developed over the last 40 years. It’s about the only consistent theme in rugby league.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'd like to see Sticky take advantage of our forward depth and rotate the guys throughout the season. Gives everybody a decent shot at it and will help keep players fresh for the back end of the season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, it will be interesting. Our front row depth was obviously tested when we had three middles all go down in a short period of time. For whatever reason the addition of Ryan James seems to have given us crazy depth in that position, but maybe that's just because Tapine and Lui both had such a great season, and Young showed his potential. We have both quality and quantity.

It's the second row depth I'm super nervous about. Whitehead is another year older and is clearly not as flat-out effective for a full 80 minutes. Bateman was significantly below his best last year, but was still a quality starter. I'm really looking forward to seeing whether Harry Rushton is the real deal. I know I shouldn't expect too much, but it's hard to not be a bit enthusiastic about Pommy forwards testing themselves out.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Pardon the ignorance but where are we at with a reserve grade comp in 2021.

I’m all for ALL our forwards getting a go but I’d like consistent week to week footy for those boys not chosen in the 17.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: January 1, 2021, 2:05 pm Pardon the ignorance but where are we at with a reserve grade comp in 2021.

I’m all for ALL our forwards getting a go but I’d like consistent week to week footy for those boys not chosen in the 17.
They’ll play in Canberra Raiders Cup or, if Under 21, in Jersey Flegg. Given the Canberra Raiders Cup doesn’t start until mid April, and heads into finals at the beginning of September, the surplus over age players presumably won’t play lower grade football initially or during finals.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: January 1, 2021, 2:58 pm
-PJ- wrote: January 1, 2021, 2:05 pm Pardon the ignorance but where are we at with a reserve grade comp in 2021.

They’ll play in Canberra Raiders Cup or, if Under 21, in Jersey Flegg. Given the Canberra Raiders Cup doesn’t start until mid April, and heads into finals at the beginning of September, the surplus over age players presumably won’t play lower grade football initially or during finals.
Not ideal GE.

It’s sucks tbh..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hopefully they find a link to a NSW Cup team of some sort... but I guess the uncertainty of COVID rules are an added complexity for the club in organising that.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Northern Raider wrote: January 1, 2021, 12:16 pm I'd like to see Sticky take advantage of our forward depth and rotate the guys throughout the season. Gives everybody a decent shot at it and will help keep players fresh for the back end of the season.
Ive stated elsewhere that this is what i reckon stick will do. Rotate our middles, until ~ round 20 and then based on form pick your best 17. It will create an incentive for everyone to perform during the year while allowing players to keep fresh so they are fit and firing come september
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

FROG wrote: January 1, 2021, 6:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 1, 2021, 12:16 pm I'd like to see Sticky take advantage of our forward depth and rotate the guys throughout the season. Gives everybody a decent shot at it and will help keep players fresh for the back end of the season.
Ive stated elsewhere that this is what i reckon stick will do. Rotate our middles, until ~ round 20 and then based on form pick your best 17. It will create an incentive for everyone to perform during the year while allowing players to keep fresh so they are fit and firing come september
I can’t see the rotation happening every single week.

It will hinge on ladder position.

But one bloke who should be well rested and firing is Papa..he’ll be managed beautifully !!!!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Forwards will naturally rotate as suspension, injury and rep duties call... but i cant see us being good enough to be using a rotation as staple policy. Play the best 17, and that should absolutely include Hors, Guler and Young
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Forwards will naturally rotate as suspension, injury and rep duties call... but i cant see us being good enough to be using a rotation as staple policy. Play the best 17, and that should absolutely include Hors, Guler and Young
Yep. Play the best 17.! That may or may not include Hors, Guler and Young, they have to earn positions on and off the field (especially in professional rehabilitation of long term injuries and lack of eye gouging brain explosions), same goes for Sutton, Lui and James.

But play the best 17 regardless. Ricky has improved his ability to choose the best team and when to drop a player. This started with Papa and Austin and has improved over 19/20.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I know the pack has a tremendous amount of competition but to me, it still picks itself and Papalii, Guler, Whitehead, CHN, Tapine, Hors, Young are in my round 1 team

They have to lose their spot, not earn it imo. They've already earned it with talent, ability and upside. Lui or Sutton is a tough one, but Sia and James are FIRMLY on the outside looking in for me. Wont be that way with the coach, im sure.