2020 Highs and Lows: Worst moment

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders worst moment of 2020?

"Home games" at Campbelltown Stadium
27%
Golden point loss to the Eels
7%
Bailey Simonsson sin binning
No votes
Josh Hodgson ruled out for the season
27%
Full time in the Preliminary Final
40%

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. The Players of the Year are determined by the Fans' Choice voting, but all the other categories are determined by fan polls.

In this poll we are voting for the Canberra Raiders 2020 Worst Moment. You have one vote in this poll. If you would like to vote for a tackle that is not nominated... just specify your vote for the game in the thread!

The nominations are:

"Home games" at Campbelltown Stadium After the resumption of the season, the Canberra Raiders were forced to play their home games at Campbelltown Stadium - reputably because of COVID protocols, but it turned out to be for no good reason. The Raiders were the only team that was forced to travel more than an hour every week, between Round 3 and Round 8 - most often three hours there and back in a bus, on the same day. The Campbelltown Stadium surface quickly became unsafe and unplayable. At the venue, the Raiders lost the Round 4 home clash with the Knights, 34-18, and then the Round 6 home game against the Sea Eagles, 14-6.

Golden point loss to the Eels Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad produced an incredible double inside the final five minutes of regular time to force golden point. But Raiders' hearts were broken in the 87th minute, when Clint Gutherson kicked the winning field goal. Full time, Eels 25 - Raiders 24.

Bailey Simonsson sin binning In a perplexing decision, Bailey Simonsson was sent to the sin bin in the Round 9 clash with the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium. He was ruled to have obstructed Josh Addo-Carr, when both players were clearly going for the ball. The decision proved costly on the scoreboard, with the Storm scoring almost immediately. The Raiders went on to lose the game by just four points.

Josh Hodgson ruled out for the season The Raiders had a horror run with injury in 2020, but there was probably no bigger loss than co-captain Josh Hodgson, to an ACL injury in the Round 9 clash with the Storm.

Full time in the Preliminary Final The match was realistically all over after 25 minutes. The Storm took a 24-0 lead scoring four tries. The Raiders have never come back from being 24 points down, let alone in a finals game. The Raiders started slowly, as they often had over the past three months. It is understandable that they started slowly, after playing a match of Grand Final intensity in the previous week, and after being forced to fly in to Brisbane just hours before the match. However, the Raiders were off their best game, and you can't afford to do that against the Melbourne Storm. The Storm were on fire, and ruthlessly targeted every weakness in the Raiders' line up. At full time it was Storm 30 - Raiders 10, and that was the end of the season for the Green Machine.

All the results: Click here
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2020 Highs and Lows: Worst moment

Post by Northern Raider »

Home games at Campbelltown. **** us from the start. Took an age to get back into the groove.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Still a close poll... we will declare this one tomorrow.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

When you are a game away from a Grand Final and it doesn’t happen that is pretty heartbreaking although we had a while to get used to it before full time.

Hodgo going down, on top of who we already lost, appeared at the time to be the end of our chances.

The Campbelltown decision was understandable at the time even if unfair.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Felt very deflated after the prelim loss.

It was weird. We were totally outplayed and the boys once again gave it the best but a part of me was glad it was over. Of course winning and advancing to the GF would have been great.

But after the year that was 2020, with all the injuries and everything else thrown in we’d had enough.

I’m so very proud of the players. We were written off but they stood up..every week.

Boney was at my pad for that prelim loss. That’s twice we’ve been together for some big games. Last years GF was another. We are 0/2.

One of us is bad luck..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Felt very deflated after the prelim loss.

It was weird. We were totally outplayed and the boys once again gave it the best but a part of me was glad it was over. Of course winning and advancing to the GF would have been great.

But after the year that was 2020, with all the injuries and everything else thrown in we’d had enough.

I’m so very proud of the players. We were written off but they stood up..every week.

Boney was at my pad for that prelim loss. That’s twice we’ve been together for some big games. Last years GF was another. We are 0/2.

One of us is bad luck..
and I went within an ace of backing into your neighbour's car, would've topped it off.

2 prelims and a gf in 5, geez we're knocking on the door

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared for worst moment(s) of the year... all the polls now complete: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1767367
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-PJ- wrote: November 12, 2020, 7:35 pm It was weird. We were totally outplayed and the boys once again gave it the best but a part of me was glad it was over. Of course winning and advancing to the GF would have been great.
I think a lot of us felt like that and I think deep down there were probably some players and officials that felt like that. 2020 was such a difficult year for everyone and hopefully we will never see anything like it again. I desperately wanted to win the premiership but part of me also felt "maybe another year, not this one". For many of the players the fact it was the end of the bubble and the restrictions that impacted in every aspect of their lives, were over.

I just so hope, and the signs are getting better every day, that the 2021 season we are pretty much back to normal, any friendships that have been strained during this time have been mended, those who chose to stay away this year are welcomed back, we can travel again without restrictions and we are all back as one Raiders family.

What a premiership it would be to win!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: November 13, 2020, 12:03 pm
-PJ- wrote: November 12, 2020, 7:35 pm It was weird. We were totally outplayed and the boys once again gave it the best but a part of me was glad it was over. Of course winning and advancing to the GF would have been great.
I think a lot of us felt like that and I think deep down there were probably some players and officials that felt like that. 2020 was such a difficult year for everyone and hopefully we will never see anything like it again. I desperately wanted to win the premiership but part of me also felt "maybe another year, not this one". For many of the players the fact it was the end of the bubble and the restrictions that impacted in every aspect of their lives, were over.

I just so hope, and the signs are getting better every day, that the 2021 season we are pretty much back to normal, any friendships that have been strained during this time have been mended, those who chose to stay away this year are welcomed back, we can travel again without restrictions and we are all back as one Raiders family.

What a premiership it would be to win!!
Just one more before I go...

I want to have that feeling again.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:Home games at Campbelltown. **** us from the start. Took an age to get back into the groove.
Agree.

It's testament to the final result after being pineappled like this

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.