Matt Timoko and Adam Cook join Canberra Raiders top 30 squad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Matt Timoko and Adam Cook join Canberra Raiders top 30 squad

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders confirm Matt Timoko and Adam Cook have joined top 30 squad

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed that centre Matt Timoko and Adam Cook have joined their top 30 squad.

Timoko's deal, which is believed to have been settled towards the end of 2019, runs to end 2022. Cook has been signed for 2021, with an option in the club's favour for 2022.

Both Timoko and Cook made their NRL debuts in 2020.

Timoko debuted in the Round 16 clash with the Bulldogs off the bench, playing in two matches this year. He started at centre in the Round 20 match against the Sharks, when coach Ricky Stuart rested a host of his stars before the finals.

Cook was one of three players to debut in the Round 20 Sharks match, alongside Darby Medlyn and Jarrett Subloo. It was Cook's only NRL appearance in 2020.

Top 30 squad

Caleb Aekins
Adam Cook
Jarrod Croker
Matt Frawley
Emre Guler
Corey Harawira-Naera
Siliva Havili
Josh Hodgson
Corey Horsburgh
Ryan James
Dunamis Lui
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Josh Papalii
Harry Rushton
Curtis Scott
Bailey Simonsson
Harley Smith-Shields
Sia Soliola
Tom Starling
Ryan Sutton
Joseph Tapine
Matthew Timoko
Semi Valemei
Elliott Whitehead
Jack Wighton
George Williams
Sam Williams
Hudson Young

Latest contract list: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 70#p115470
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Matt Timoko and Adam Cook join Canberra Raiders top 30 squad

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not sure what this means for some of the development players. This is the latest information on the development players list:

Ata Mariota - development player, end 2021, player option for 2022
Darby Medlyn - development player, end 2021
Kai O'Donnell - development player, end 2020
Jarrett Subloo - development player, end 2020

Three of them made NRL debuts in 2020. Kai O'Donnell (four NRL games in 2020) and Jarrett Subloo (one NRL game in 2020) only have announced contracts to end 2020. Darby Medlyn (one NRL game in 2020) is contracted for next year.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

must keep Kai O'Donnell, looked a real prospect

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GE, in past seasons Clubs have had up to 6 development players. With all the rule changes this year I may have missed it, but is it still possible to have up to 6 development players?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: November 6, 2020, 7:09 am GE, in past seasons Clubs have had up to 6 development players. With all the rule changes this year I may have missed it, but is it still possible to have up to 6 development players?
There was a suggestion at one stage that that number would be cut, possibly to two. But that was at the time the NRL was also proposing to cut top squads, possibly to 28. The proposal to reduce the top 30 squads was rejected by the RLPA. I haven’t heard any announcement on the number of development players permitted, it was six, so hopefully there’s scope to keep O’Donnell and other young players. Flegg is becoming Under 21s and SG Ball is becoming Under 19s so that should help retain the juniors too.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Mariota and Subloo will be eligible for Under 21s Flegg in 2021 so I imagine are retained through that if not part of the development squad who are full time.

I would expect Medlyn and O’Donnell who are 1999 births so not eligible for Flegg will be part of the development squad but that might not be finalised until after Christmas.

Of the top 30 Cook, Timoko, Smith-Shields and Rushton are eligible for Flegg in 2021. If we are not going to have a NSW Cup side I imagine they will play Flegg if not playing first grade.

Put the house on the Raiders to win Flegg next year. If most clubs continue to do what they have and play their best prospects in NSW Cup regardless of whether they are under 21 and we are playing these sort of guys in Flegg plus the underage talent we already have - I can’t see us getting beat too often.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: November 6, 2020, 7:28 am
RedRaider wrote: November 6, 2020, 7:09 am GE, in past seasons Clubs have had up to 6 development players. With all the rule changes this year I may have missed it, but is it still possible to have up to 6 development players?
There was a suggestion at one stage that that number would be cut, possibly to two. But that was at the time the NRL was also proposing to cut top squads, possibly to 28. The proposal to reduce the top 30 squads was rejected by the RLPA. I haven’t heard any announcement on the number of development players permitted, it was six, so hopefully there’s scope to keep O’Donnell and other young players. Flegg is becoming Under 21s and SG Ball is becoming Under 19s so that should help retain the juniors too.
Will be interesting to see what the long term ages are for Matts, Ball and Flegg.

If you drop it back in 2022 there are a whole group of players who are never top age players.

Will clubs stick with the age groups? I couldn’t see the Raiders playing Mooney, Clarkson and Esera in SG Ball next year. I think there will be some hopes of at least one debuting in first grade.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Flegg being under 21s in 2021 also mean we don’t have to make decisions on Trevilyan, Schneider and Thompson who were part of the bubble this year - I guess that is exactly the reason why they have changed the rules to U21s.

It also gives Lewis and Martin a chance to come back. They were probably the other two top age players that weren’t in the bubble that I think we would have been keeping an eye on. Both did their ACLs in the local comp so if it was under 20s next year I suspect they would have left the club but under 21s mean they should have at least the second half of 2021 to impress.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Bay53 wrote: November 6, 2020, 7:44 am
Of the top 30 Cook, Timoko, Smith-Shields and Rushton are eligible for Flegg in 2021. If we are not going to have a NSW Cup side I imagine they will play Flegg if not playing first grade.

Put the house on the Raiders to win Flegg next year. If most clubs continue to do what they have and play their best prospects in NSW Cup regardless of whether they are under 21 and we are playing these sort of guys in Flegg plus the underage talent we already have - I can’t see us getting beat too often.
Those three especially need to be playing against men at that age. We saw how fast Semi developed- literally week by week learniing. THey'd just be stunted by a year of missed footy and then a year beating up 19/20 year olds again.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

When are the 2021 jerseys available to buy?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: November 6, 2020, 9:14 am
Bay53 wrote: November 6, 2020, 7:44 am

Those three especially need to be playing against men at that age. We saw how fast Semi developed- literally week by week learniing. THey'd just be stunted by a year of missed footy and then a year beating up 19/20 year olds again.
I agree. They need to play men, not boys.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makaveli wrote: November 6, 2020, 11:18 am When are the 2021 jerseys available to buy?
It is usually before Christmas. Must be soon.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Bulldogs announced their development players last week and in the article it was confirmed clubs can have up to 6 development players who are full time with the top 30 squad.

So after all the talk of different list sizes we have for 2021 exactly what we started 2020 with.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably cause the overall impact of 2020 wasn't as big as forecast, so the need to cut costs isn't as much.

I know the AFL have revised their loss down to 100 mil from a projected 1 billion

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Was there a cap reduction?

RLPA would hopefully in there fighting to at least keep as many players on the books as possible- they are still in there fighting for their dream and might be compensated well later when things pick up. But if you're cut from a squad it's a hard road back to top footy AND you're out on your ass during an unemployment crisis and recession.

I haven't followed it closely but I'd want my union rep saying ok, we can all take a slight haircut- especially the top 20% but trim squad sizes last.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Thought it was only this year

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: November 23, 2020, 5:39 pm Was there a cap reduction?

RLPA would hopefully in there fighting to at least keep as many players on the books as possible- they are still in there fighting for their dream and might be compensated well later when things pick up. But if you're cut from a squad it's a hard road back to top footy AND you're out on your ass during an unemployment crisis and recession.

I haven't followed it closely but I'd want my union rep saying ok, we can all take a slight haircut- especially the top 20% but trim squad sizes last.
We don’t know for sure because the NRL has never announced what’s happening following the consultation with the RLPA on the cap and squad numbers. No one has really stated it directly.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: November 5, 2020, 5:17 pm must keep Kai O'Donnell, looked a real prospect

Not looking to downplay a youngster but gee which I don’t agree with this. Hope he comes good but looked a long way off first grade standard.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: November 23, 2020, 5:55 pm
BadnMean wrote: November 23, 2020, 5:39 pm Was there a cap reduction?

We don’t know for sure because the NRL has never announced what’s happening following the consultation with the RLPA on the cap and squad numbers. No one has really stated it directly.
Thanks for that.

Clear as mud! (them, not you)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He showed promise but I wouldn't sell the farm to keep him

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: November 23, 2020, 8:54 pm
bonehead wrote: November 5, 2020, 5:17 pm must keep Kai O'Donnell, looked a real prospect

Not looking to downplay a youngster but gee which I don’t agree with this. Hope he comes good but looked a long way off first grade standard.
Really? Had a couple of games in cold with NO mens footy or even juniors behind him that season and held his own, a few strong runs, barely put a foot wrong. In light of that, I'd have him in the "did no harm, well worth another shot" category.

I've seen other players jump in and play 2 full FG games WHILE settled and playing Mounties and do far less or far worse and get a pass.

Not sure he's a "must keep" but very, very few players had the chance to advance their cause last season and when he did, he did ok.