2020 in review - Sia Soliola

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the sixteenth instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili and Dunamis Lui.

Sia Soliola is often referred to as the spiritual leader of the Canberra Raiders, such is his influence at Raiders HQ. The light-hearted term of endearment they use for him at the club is "uncle". He is now 34 years of age... and late this year, he was contracted for 2021, one final season in an impressive career.

2020 was a particularly tough year for Soliola, after he suffered a serious facial fracture in the Round 8 clash with the Dragons - the result of a head clash with Dragons prop Blake Lawrie. He needed 20 screws to repair the horrific damage, the seven fractures. It meant he spent a lengthy period eating only soft foods.

"The soft food diet was hard," Soliola said.

"That was the hardest thing I've ever done. I went as far as trying to blend KFC, the boys were teasing me. But KFC was rank, and so I thought laksa would be better. That was gross, so I stopped blending," he said laughing.

"I had this whole idea of getting pizza, Dominos, a Big Mac... until I had the KFC, and then I said 'no, I'm not doing the Big Mac'.

Soliola feared he might have played his last NRL game after suffering the injury.

"Mum called me up straight away and told me to finish up, as you would," he said.

"All mothers don't like to see their sons go through the pain and the process of it. But I've always found challenges like that to spur something inside me... to see if I can defy the odds."

He was eventually able to make a comeback, in the "Rookie Raiders" Round 20 win over the Sharks. In that game, Soliola's career total of 325 first grade games exceeded the combined first grade games of 11 of his team mates. His experience and his influence on the younger players is no doubt a key reason why coach Ricky Stuart wants him to go around again next year.

Soliola ultimately appeared in 12 matches in 2020, starting five at prop, one at lock and the remainder off the bench. He played in all three finals games, one at starting prop, but he played relatively few minutes. Obviously, it is difficult to compare his statistics with previous seasons and with his peers, given the low number of games he played. His average minutes played fell slightly (from 38 per game in 2019, to 32 in 2020), as did his average running metres (from 88 in 2019 to 82 in 2020) and tackles (from 20 in 2019 to 17 in 2020) per game.

In 2020, he ranked ninth amongst the Raiders forwards for metres gained and eighth for metres per run. In defence, he finished 13th for amongst the Canberra forwards for average tackles per match. His tackle efficiency rate rose to 92 per cent in 2019, but fell back to 89 per cent in 2020. His missed tackle count rose from 0.8 per game last year, to 1.6 per game in 2020.

I rated Soliola 5.7/10 on average this season (down on his 6.5 average in 2019). I rated him a "7" in three matches, with his best game probably coming in the Round 2 win over the Warriors on the Gold Coast. In that game he scored his only try of the season, made 117 running metres, 57 post contact metres, one tackle break and 27 tackles. It was the most running metres he made in a match in 2020. His top tackle count (31) came in the golden point loss to the Eels. He did not register any points in Fans' Choice Player of the Year voting.

When Soliola re-signed for 2021, he said he did so because he wants to give back to the club and the city.

"The year I’ve had has been a strange one but it its really nice at 34 to be playing the game I love. I’m really enjoying it and it’s a great group of guys and I think this club is going to be a consistent title contender for the future and I want to be part of that," he said.

"I guess it’s just a reflection on how I feel about the place, I love this game, I love this club and I want to give back because its given me so much and I’ve generated so much from it that its only right that I give something back. It’s an amazing game, so many people get so much out of it and everyone wins at the end of the day. My family and I love it here. Canberra is an awesome place and I’m very thankful for the club for introducing me to it."

There is a slew of young talent in the middle at the Raiders, the likes of Horsburgh, Guler, Sutton and Young. More impressive young forwards are on their way up in the juniors. But I think it is very sensible approach to keep Soliola in and around the playing group next season. And I expect that Sia Soliola will still be one of the first forwards picked in 2021.

How did you rate Sia Soliola's 2020? Tell us below.

Sia Soliola's 2020: 5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 12
Average minutes: 32
Tries: 1
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 1
Total try involvements: 2
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 115
All run metres: 986
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 82
Tackle breaks: 5
Offloads: 1
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 208
Average tackles per game: 17
1 on 1 tackles: 20
Missed tackles: 19
Average missed tackles per game: 1.6
Ineffective tackles:
Tackle efficiency: 89 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 2
Errors: 1
Penalties conceded: 4
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2020 in review - Sia Soliola

Post by Matt »

I said this a couple of years ago, and he proved me wrong, but I think he offers more off the field than on it these days. That facial injury was horrific, and to come back and be one of our best in that Storm game was credit to the man. If he does play, you get an honest toiler who wont let you down wk to wk. I can see him being transitioned out of the side next yr, and into a coaching or admin role at the club the yr after.
I really hope the club does their best to keep him involved long term, coz the guy is more of a champion off the field. He is one of the best humans Ive met, even if it was only briefly.
I think a 5 is a middle of the road score for a guy who is at that point in his career. 5.5 would be as high as I would go.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

5/10 is fair enough. He was doing a decent job while he was fit- just what you expect. If there is another injury crisis or we end up with Papa + Lui in mid year origin we might be glad he's still around.

Papa, Tapine, Lui, Guler are my 4 favoured props for next year. Good mixture of ages, shapes and styles.
The next rank are just barely behind them and I'd understand most fans and even Ricky might have different ideas to me: Hors, James, Sia. I've got Hors first cab off the rank because he's suited to prop or resting Young at lock as needed. If Ricky wants reliability though and Hors remains a bit of a hothead then Sia comes right back into reckoning.

I've got Young as lock and Havilii competing with Starling for that bench role.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

I'm still in awe that he managed to return playing this season after the injury and even more amazed that he wanted another year as a battering ram.

The man is a beast and obviously keeps his body in supreme condition. Similar to Wiki, he looks like he would have no problem entering a body building comp tomorrow.
Not sure how many games he will play next season but when on song, he can skittle defenders and put on a shot like few others in the league.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I was opposed to him coming back in 2020 after that injury. He got limited minutes and I'm glad his did not cop another head knock. No one would ever question his courage and desire to play football. He is a great human being but there comes a time when the risk of long term injury becomes too great. He will probably make me eat my words, but I would struggle to name him in the side if HorsPower and Guler are fit. Lui went to a new level (SPP) and Papa is Papa. James was recruited and Sutton has an injury to overcome but all are likely to be with the Raiders longer than Sia so should get the nod. Tapine is another middle who has settled into the role and Young let no one down in 2020. 5/10
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: November 16, 2020, 8:07 pm I was opposed to him coming back in 2020 after that injury. He got limited minutes and I'm glad his did not cop another head knock. No one would ever question his courage and desire to play football. He is a great human being but there comes a time when the risk of long term injury becomes too great. He will probably make me eat my words, but I would struggle to name him in the side if HorsPower and Guler are fit. Lui went to a new level (SPP) and Papa is Papa. James was recruited and Sutton has an injury to overcome but all are likely to be with the Raiders longer than Sia so should get the nod. Tapine is another middle who has settled into the role and Young let no one down in 2020. 5/10
Yeah. The idea that Sia can still skittle defenders isn't backed up by tackle break stats and imo he's been half a step behind really laying a shot on anyone in 2020. He's ok and can get a job done but he's not "moving the needle" anymore. He'll do his job just fine if picked but it's a long list of younger players who offer more. It's not disrespect to call it how it was in 2020.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Wholehearted every week, love the effort.

Going forward..I can’t see him been a regular top 17 starter with our younger bulls getting fit again.

Very handy still and does a great job.

3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agree with Matt.

We all love Sia, and he's an absolute legend of the club.

But there comes a point when you have to face that he's slowing up.

Love to see him in a Brett White water bottle running role.

One more year, Sia.

*hope he proves me wrong *

5/10

75/118 gangers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Still good enough, but we've now got a lot in that category and they're all younger than the great man.

I get that players want to play for as long as they can, careers in this game are only relatively short compared to one's life, but part of me wished that he'd be moved to a role off the field. That said, who knows if it'll actually be his last season - whether that's here or possibly even elsewhere. With the excellent condition he seems to be in, punching out another 2-3 may not be out of the question.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He had a good year, he's a good club man, and the way he goes about his profession is invaluable for the sqaud.
For me though, right now he's a squad filler. And a damn good one at that. Certainly Sia will never let anyone down if called on, but he's not in my best 17 and his impact is most felt these days off the park
Which is harsh, he'd absolutely be in the top 17 of most clubs... but i just cant justify him ahead of Papalii, Tapine, Guler, Hors, Sutton or Young

6/10