2020 in review - Joe Tapine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty second instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman and Corey Harawira-Naera.

Joe Tapine made 21 appearances for the Raiders in 2020 - and probably produced his best ever season in green. He started in the second row in five of the opening six rounds, but then moved into the middle. He started at lock in the final seven games, and made the position his own. He started in 14 games, eight at lock, five in the second row, one at prop - and came off the bench seven times.

Tapine has spent a fair bit of time on the sidelines due to injury or suspension in previous seasons. Not in 2020. He missed only one match through injury this year, the Round 7 golden point loss to the Eels. It was the result of a niggling knee problem. The only other match he missed was the Round 20 clash with the Sharks, when coach Ricky Stuart rested a host of his stars. He was remarkably disciplined on the field, with his aggression channeled into good, tough play.

His minutes lifted to an average of 55 per match (45 in 2019). All of his numbers were up, but by more than the extra minutes might explain. He scored four tries (one in 2019) and posted seven try involvements (three in 2019). His average running metres rose to 116 per game (73 in 2019) and that was second only to Josh Papalii amongst the Raiders' forwards. His metres per carry also rose (to 9.2, compared with 8.6 in 2019). His tackle breaks more than doubled, rising from 21 in 2019 to 44 this year - and he ranked equal first with Josh Papalii amongst the Raiders forwards in that department.

His defensive numbers improved as well. He made 29 tackles per game (up from 21 in 2019), ranked fifth amongst the Raiders forwards. However, his tackle efficiency rate improved again (to 94 per cent, compared with 86 per cent in 2018). Only Josh Papalii had a better tackle efficiency rate at the club. His average missed tackles remained low (one per game, compared with over three in 2018), as did his try causes (one, compared with 12 in 2018). His line break causes rose to six, however, equal first amongst the Raiders forwards. There was barely a weak point in his game.

Through the year I rated Tapine an average of 7.2/10 (5.9 in 2019). I rated him a rare "9" in the Week 2 finals win over the Roosters - when he scored a try and made 16 runs for 172 metres, 62 post contact metres, one line break, nine tackle breaks and 28 tackles. It was his 100th match for the Raiders in first grade. I rated him an "8" in the Round 11 win over the Rabbitohs and the Round 19 win over the Warriors, producing strong performances in both. He also received "man of the match" honours in the Round 17 loss to the Roosters in Fans' Choice voting.

It became clear in 2019 that Joe Tapine was probably at his best in the middle. But his performances in 2020 left no shadow of a doubt about that. He was just immense at either lock or prop. With the forward pack decimated by injury, he was one of the players who stood up and led in a way he has not done before. In the second half of the year, he was in career best form. For mine, he was one of the top three Raiders players this season. He has an absolute lock on the No. 13 jersey in 2021.

How did you rate Joe Tapine's 2020? Tell us below.

Joe Tapine's 2020: 8/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 21
Average minutes: 55
Tries: 4
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 2
Total try involvements: 7
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 262
All run metres: 2430
Average metres per carry: 9
Average metres per game: 116
Tackle breaks: 44
Offloads: 34
Line breaks: 4
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 608
Average tackles per game: 29
1 on 1 tackles: 33
Missed tackles: 20
Average missed tackles per game: 1.0
Ineffective tackles: 19
Tackle efficiency: 94 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 6
Errors: 5
Penalties conceded: 10
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 in review - Joe Tapine

Post by Belcher#1 »

massive season from him. Thought he really stagnated last season but turned it around to become one of the best forwards in the comp.
Huge sign of maturity as well stopping his brain explosions.

I wonder if they are any thoughts to turn him into an 80min player. More interchanges available for the super subs in starling, young, havili is a big advantage
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His best season to date. An absolute star for us all year long. As Papa begins to slow down, Tarps should be coming into his prime and be ready to take the crown.
9/10
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Came of age. Best forward behind Big Pap and one of the best in the comp this season.

His game has almost everything - aggression, power, speed, creativity, workrate. We all knew he had it, but this was the season where he finally put it all together, consistently.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Belcher#1 wrote: November 24, 2020, 12:43 pm massive season from him. Thought he really stagnated last season but turned it around to become one of the best forwards in the comp.
Huge sign of maturity as well stopping his brain explosions.

I wonder if they are any thoughts to turn him into an 80min player. More interchanges available for the super subs in starling, young, havili is a big advantage
I hope not. No middle forward should be playing 80 minutes IMO.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Finally we saw the real Joe Tapine.

He was on fire.

Thats the standard now Joe, congrats on a beast of a season. More of that.

3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

As GE outlined, Tapine had probably 3 or even 4 parts to his season, and his application, ability and performance varied in those periods. Those periods were preseason/ 1st 2 Rds, part 2 was Rds 3-6, 3 was 7-10, then Rd11 onwards.

Preseason/ 1st 2 Rds:
To start the yr, he said he wanted to lock down that #13 jumper. With Bateo going to be out for a stretch of the yr, possibly half til Covid, Ricky tried Horse on the edge. Being nice, he was pedestrian in that spot, and he said as much to me at the season launch (Horse did). During the trial against the Dogs, Tapine finished the game on the edge and looked a mile ahead of Horse in the position. Ricky named Horse in #11 and Tapine in #13 for Rd 1, but they switched as they ran on. So... having trained all preseason as a middle, Tapine had about 2wks to try and get the endurance up before Rd 1. I reckon it took both the 1st 2 Rds to do so, then Covid hit. He was solid without being great. 6/10

Rds3-6:
This period was better. He was match fit, and the cohesion was much better. But still only a solid performer. Young returned in Rd 7, and he took up the edge roll. 7/10

Rd7-10:
This was the injury period. Hodgo, Horse, Guler, Sia and Simmo all went down. Bateo's shoulder was an issue, so Huddo was still on the edge. Tapine was spending this period converting back to a middle. After Rd10 Ricky called on his senior boys to lift, take their game to a new level, coz there wasnt anyone left standing. 6/10

Rd11 onwards:
Well... didnt Tapine decided it was a great time to reach his potential?!?!?! BOOM!!! Tapine and Papa become the best 1-2 punch in the NRL during this period. 9/10

I have him at 28/40, or 7/10. BUT, as the 9 was approx half the season, ill bump him to an 8-8.5, which has him in my top 4 or 5 players for the season. I think that is exactly where he belongs this season. IMO, next yr is more important. Consistency hasnt been his strong suit til now, so can he backup what he achieved in 2020, in 2021?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

For years we were saying Tapine could be anything, all the potential in the world... It was more than satisfying to watch him deliver on that, it was thrilling.

I wonder what 2021 has in store for Joe. Could be greatness...