2020 in review - Corey Horsburgh

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is the twenty third instalment of 2020 in review. As is the tradition, now the Raiders' season is over, we are reviewing all 32 players who pulled on a green jersey this year. So far, we've looked at Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Jordan Rapana, Jarrod Croker, Curtis Scott, Nick Cotric, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei, Michael Oldfield, Jack Wighton, George Williams, Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling, Siliva Havili, Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Ryan Sutton, Hudson Young, Elliott Whitehead, John Bateman, Corey Harawira-Naera and Joe Tapine.

Corey Horsburgh had an impressive debut season in 2019, sharing the Raiders Rookie of the Year award on Meninga Medal night with Bailey Simonsson. He made a good start to 2020, but unfortunately his season was cut short early - after suffering a Lisfranc injury to his foot in the Round 7 golden point loss to the Eels. It was initially thought he might be able to return before the end of the year, but that did not prove to be the case.

Horsburgh made six appearances in green this year, starting in the second row in Round 1, before shifting to lock in his subsequent matches. He missed the Round 5 clash with the Tigers - a late withdrawal due to illness. I rated him 6.7/10 on average, with his overall season rating affected by his low number of appearances. I rated him a "7" in four matches, with his best performance probably coming in the Round 4 loss to the Knights. He produced his highest running metres (129) and tackle count (58) in that match.

It is difficult to make too much of his 2020 statistics, due to the low number of matches he played. His average minutes rose from from 34 per game in 2019 to 50 in 2020. He ranked fifth amongst the Raiders forwards for average running metres (94, compared with 92 in 2019). He's not the sort of player who makes a lot of tackle breaks or line breaks, but he ranked first for average offloads per game. He averaged 32 tackles per game (21 in 2019), which was exceeded at club by only Josh Hodgson and John Bateman. At the same time, his tackle efficiency rate (93 per cent) rose slightly.

Horsburgh is a player with huge potential. He is still aged just 22, and that is very young for a middle forward. The Round 1 experiment of playing him in the second row didn't really work out - but even then, he didn't play too badly in that game. It is a shame that we saw so little of him on the field this season, because it was shaping up to be even better than his debut year. When he left the field at Western Sydney Stadium, after suffering his foot injury, his emotions came to the fore. It was awful to see the pain he was in. But I loved how he reacted, because you could see how much his football means to him. I can hardly wait to see a fit and firing Corey Horsburgh back on the field in 2021. I think it's doubtful that he'll take on a starting role in Round 1 next year, but it will be very hard for Ricky Stuart to leave him out of the top 17.

How did you rate Corey Horsburgh's 2020? Tell us below.

Corey Horsburgh's 2020: 4.5/10

2020 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 6
Average minutes: 50
Tries: 0
Try assists: 0
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 0
Total kicks: 0
Kick metres: 0
Total runs: 69
All run metres: 565
Average metres per carry: 8
Average metres per game: 94
Tackle breaks: 6
Offloads: 11
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 197
Average tackles per game: 32
1 on 1 tackles: 10
Missed tackles: 11
Average missed tackles per game: 1.8
Ineffective tackles: 4
Tackle efficiency: 93 per cent
Try causes: 1
Line break causes: 2
Errors: 6
Penalties conceded: 2
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 in review - Corey Horsburgh

Post by -PJ- »

I can’t score Corey for 2020.

But he’ll be back..big, strong and angry.

I’m a fan.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm a fan, get back in there you ginger beast

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The sample is a bit small to really tell how he was going - especially with the rule changes. Not convinced they suit him.

I don't think he's really suited by the new changes. He's not quite as nimble as the Young, Yeo, Murray, Radley and even Lolo set as far as locks go.

Imagine if Hors came back with just a few kg more size from a good long off season in the gym though (since just his foot was busted)... He'd put some hurt on people + has a pretty handy offload developing. Shift to prop or can still handle lock if Ricky wants to go rugged in the first 20 mins.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I love angry gingers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: November 25, 2020, 6:38 pm I love angry gingers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
There aint any timid ones..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

IMO he would have been a shoe in for QLD this yr off his early season form. He was a 7-8 in those 6 games. Problem being, it was only 6 games. So 4-4.5 is about right.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I love the Hors and see a great future. He does need to muscle up though and not stand next to Sia when both have their shirts off.