Jordan Rapana re-signs with Canberra Raiders on a one year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Jordan Rapana re-signs with Canberra Raiders on a one year deal

Post by -TW- »

Jordan Rapana re-signs with the Raiders for 2021

Jordan Rapana will remain with the Raiders in 2021, after agreeing to a new one-year deal with the club for next season.

After initially departing the club at the end of 2019, Rapana returned to Canberra following the COVID shutdown after a stint in Japanese Rugby, playing 19 matches for the Green Machine in 2020.

Rapana said he’s looking forward to returning to training next week for a big pre-season and said he wanted nothing more than to remain in Canberra with the Raiders.

“I’m really happy to be staying in Canberra, I feel like I’ve got unfinished business here and I want to be part of a team that can win a grand final,” Rapana said. “I love everything about the club and the boys we have here are a great bunch of blokes who I think can do something special.

“I’m looking forward to a full pre-season as well. The last couple of pre-seasons for me have been hard as I’ve had surgery or niggling injuries, but I feel really good and I can’t wait to get back into it and be ready for the start of the season.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was looking forward to seeing Rapana on the field again in 2021 and continuing his run of 132-games for the Raiders.

“Jordan’s a very popular member of the playing group and well loved by the fanbase, so to have an experienced player like him stay at the Raiders is great news for the club,” Furner said.

Canberra Raiders media release

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/12 ... -for-2021/

Jordan Rapana signs one-year contract extension at Canberra Raiders: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-1773261

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1afa1b01f5
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Rapana re-signs

Post by Matt »

Good news on all fronts.
I have banged on an on about 30yr old wingers, so a 1 yr deal is a 'put up, or ship out' deal. It also allows him to pass on his knowledge to the younger guys, it what is probably a phase out yr, by which I mean he probably starts on the wing in 2021, but wont finish the year there - injuries pending.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:26 pm Good news on all fronts.
I have banged on an on about 30yr old wingers, so a 1 yr deal is a 'put up, or ship out' deal. It also allows him to pass on his knowledge to the younger guys, it what is probably a phase out yr, by which I mean he probably starts on the wing in 2021, but wont finish the year there - injuries pending.
Yep. 1 year deal gives him the opportunity while the club is not heavily invested in his success.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Northern Raider wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:33 pm
Yep. 1 year deal gives him the opportunity while the club is not heavily invested in his success.
I think at his age, he is a year by year proposition, but I would be surprised if he doesn't hold his place for the whole year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:44 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 15, 2020, 12:33 pm
I think at his age, he is a year by year proposition, but I would be surprised if he doesn't hold his place for the whole year.
Agree. He'll likely remain in our top 17. Thing is if his form is down they won't feel compelled to still pick him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Jordan Rapana re-signs with Canberra Raiders on a one year deal

Post by greeneyed »

It’s a good move, his experience and positive presence in the team is invaluable. He’ll do a lot for our young outside backs. Both player and club can re-assess if he’s killing it on field next season. He’s given the club an awful lot.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Still in the top 2 wingers at our club.

A little off the boil in 2020 but super freaky and does the yardage stuff for the team.

Glad he’s hangin around.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

One year is a decent idea. We can hope a proper pre season gives him a renaissance year and at worst, we have a FG standard backup option in case the rookie wingers misfire. No real downside to the one year deal now that Oldy has moved on.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Matt wrote:Good news on all fronts.
Did you mean
A. Put up or Ship Out
2. Shape up or Ship Out
C. Put up or Shut Up
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 15, 2020, 6:01 pm
Matt wrote:Good news on all fronts.
Did you mean
A. Put up or Ship Out
2. Shape up or Ship Out
C. Put up or Shut Up
A
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

His ball handling and low percentage options kill me at times, but jordie would have to be one of my all time favourite raiders player... no one can question his committment to our club and its cause of blokes like him that the club is in the strong position it is today. Needless to say, im very pleased to see him resign with us
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I feel like he’s worth a contract just to sing the team song. I nearly fell asleep when Toots sung it earlier this year... love the bloke but he’s not exactly enthuiastic.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think thats the right deal.

He's probably in our top 13 to start the year, but if im being perfectly honest, ideally for me, he's not.
For me, i'd like to see Semi take another step and cement his place in the line up and clean up some of the rookie issues he had, and i'd like to see Simmo or one of the other kids take that other wing spot. We desperately need an injection of youth and speed in the line up, neither of which Raps can provide at this stage.

He certainly adds a lot to our team from a culture and chemestry perspective and that's worth the 12 month deal
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Looks like a deal that Jordan is completely ok with. I'm sure he'd like a deal for the next 6 years but what I mean is he's probably quite realistic. And if he goes well, maybe he'll get another one year deal.

I did like his remarks around the preseason. Hopefully a good one at Braddon will get him back a little pace.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good deal.Hopefully he doesn't end up with the 3 or 4 on his back.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Jordy is a legend. Love the guy.

But he's been below his best the past 18 months or so, and that's because his body has been smashed.

I really hope he's back to peak fitness and condition, because on his day he is a outstanding player.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Happy with this. Yes speed in our backs is a concern but I haven’t forgotten Simonsson and hope his return is key.

Having had a bit of time to reassess 2020 after being rather apathetic about it at the time gee Rapana at centre rather than Cotric was a horrific coaching move. It made sense in attack but the defence it left us with and seeing Bellamy just hone in on it and absolutely tear it down was a hard watch.

I still think he could gun it with an entire injury free year on the wing, especially if he’s partnered with a Timoko or HSS (I know it won’t happen).
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I still don't know what Stuart was thinking putting Rapana in at right centre over Cotric.

I think Rapa was still our best winger and was critical in us making yards out of our own end. Hopefully he benefits from a less disruptive offseason.

Sorting out that 3/4 line will be Stuart's biggest headache in 2021. Plenty of depth there to choose from, but not a great deal of experience beyond Toots and Rapa, who are both past their prime.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

We're on a bit of a wing and a prayer with our 3/4 line. Left hoping Jordy or Toots can wind back the clock and return to some thing close to their old form or that one of the rookies/Scott has a Cotric-like breakout year.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I can't wait to see Rapa back on the right wing where he belongs. He will be a great help to whoever is chosen to his immediate left.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Scrapana has a good ring to it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: December 15, 2020, 7:11 pm I think thats the right deal.

He's probably in our top 13 to start the year, but if im being perfectly honest, ideally for me, he's not.
For me, i'd like to see Semi take another step and cement his place in the line up and clean up some of the rookie issues he had, and i'd like to see Simmo or one of the other kids take that other wing spot. We desperately need an injection of youth and speed in the line up, neither of which Raps can provide at this stage.

He certainly adds a lot to our team from a culture and chemestry perspective and that's worth the 12 month deal
Rapa was far from his best in 2020, but your bias shows here. You're willing to kick Rapa put the back door midseason but you don't like entertaining any similar criticism of Croker. Both performed at about the same level last year, Rapa was out of position for several matches so he also had that to contend with.

Let's hope they can both bounce back.to somewhere near their best, both are young enough.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dare I say it, but I think Jordy Raps will really benefit with a full off season under his belt

I predict he’ll come back close to his best, albeit a little bit short of pace
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Still probably my favourite Rapana/ Leipana play is the Austin try from rd5 2017. The smarts for rapana to be at full speed hitting a ball on the outside of radradra was a turning point in this match. The footy smarts between those 2 guys was exceptional when it was executed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: December 17, 2020, 10:01 pm
Botman wrote: December 15, 2020, 7:11 pm I think thats the right deal.

He certainly adds a lot to our team from a culture and chemistry perspective and that's worth the 12 month deal
Rapa was far from his best in 2020, but your bias shows here. You're willing to kick Rapa put the back door midseason but you don't like entertaining any similar criticism of Croker. Both performed at about the same level last year, Rapa was out of position for several matches so he also had that to contend with.

Let's hope they can both bounce back.to somewhere near their best, both are young enough.
It's nothing to do with bias, it's just the simple reality of the situation. Croker isnt going anywhere, if fit and healthy, he will be the starting centre. Whether you and i agree with the coach on that is largely irrelevant, but discussing getting young and faster and hoping one of the young kids steps up and takes his spot is IMO pointless because i dont believe that is even on the menu.

Rapana doesnt hold that status within the squad or with the coach, as evidenced by the club really only being willing to commit to him for 12 months. I actually think the coach is with me on this one, and that's why it's only a 12 month deal... he is probably hoping by seasons end, with development of the younger guys that Rapana is not in our top 17.

As for not "entertaining any similar criticism of Croker.", my posts on his 2020 form and his future dont really support that claim.
But yes, ideally they both bounce back to more towards their previous seasons of form and dont continue their 2020 form.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Croker was playing very, very good footy in 2019. Rapana hasn't been near his best for 2 years- Croker had double the tries and near double the linebreaks of Jordy in 2019. So one is closer to his best footy than the other- you can hope that one poor season is just a blip.

After 2 seasons, a bit of that credit and hoping it's a "blip" goes away and you start to lean towards "terminal decline", even if you still hope it isn't.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Coastalraider wrote: December 15, 2020, 7:09 pm I feel like he’s worth a contract just to sing the team song. I nearly fell asleep when Toots sung it earlier this year... love the bloke but he’s not exactly enthuiastic.
Haha
How good is it to see Rapa smashing the bin lid and banging out the team song.
The bloke is ALL heart and is playing like every game is his last.

A Raider who really does empty the tank.

Love ya Jordy.

And reckon he is worth a punt for another year with the 14 on his back.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

mick63 wrote: May 10, 2021, 7:53 am
Coastalraider wrote: December 15, 2020, 7:09 pm I feel like he’s worth a contract just to sing the team song. I nearly fell asleep when Toots sung it earlier this year... love the bloke but he’s not exactly enthuiastic.
Haha

Love ya Jordy.

A real catch 22 there Mick. Signing someone based on there ability to sing the song will very likely impact on the number of occasions the team has to sing said song.

If I wanted good singing I’d go to the opera! I want my football team to win football games. So long as it’s legal it’s no concern to me how they celebrate when they do.
mick63
David Grant

Post by mick63 »

Billy Walker wrote: May 10, 2021, 2:39 pm

Haha

Love ya Jordy.

A real catch 22 there Mick. Signing someone based on there ability to sing the song will very likely impact on the number of occasions the team has to sing said song.

If I wanted good singing I’d go to the opera! I want my football team to win football games. So long as it’s legal it’s no concern to me how they celebrate when they do.
Fact is Big W he might well be the only one who knows the words.

I’ll be surprised if he hasn’t inked a two year extension by C.O.B

#runningonemptyrapa
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

mick63 wrote: May 10, 2021, 3:16 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 10, 2021, 2:39 pm

Haha

Love ya Jordy.

Fact is Big W he might well be the only one who knows the words.

I’ll be surprised if he hasn’t inked a two year extension by C.O.B

#runningonemptyrapa
You’d give Raps a 2 year extension? The guy is all heart and he has been great but 2 more years?? Are you putting together a footy team or a Raiders travelling memorabilia exhibition?
mick63
David Grant

Post by mick63 »

Definitely. 1 + 1 in the clubs favour.
He has been in the top 20% of players each week while being in the bottom 20% of earners.
His value is undeniable.
If and when HSS,Timoko,Valamei stake undeniable claims he can transition into a ball supporting link that Starling is desperate for
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

mick63 wrote: May 10, 2021, 3:58 pm Definitely. 1 + 1 in the clubs favour.
He has been in the top 20% of players each week while being in the bottom 20% of earners.
His value is undeniable.
If and when HSS,Timoko,Valamei stake undeniable claims he can transition into a ball supporting link that Starling is desperate for
Often to stake a claim you need opportunity. If you’re a young talent at a club that persists with picking older players on the clear decline until they have extracted every last % from them you’d probably look for something else on offer. Zac Lomax looked elsewhere and has done very well for himself.

At some stage Mick you have to let them go and treasure the memories...

On a totally unrelated topic you’re not Anthony Mundine’s boxing manager are you?