No votes

Total votes: 25

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:Jarrod Croker to make early call on Wests Tigers

If Jarrod Croker's shoulder's not ready by Monday, Jarrod Croker will make the early call not to play. And the Raiders centre has anointed Sebastian Kris as the young gun likely to take his place if he's not ready.

"I probably won't know until Monday. We do screening every couple of days and I'll let it rest over the weekend, see how it pulls up, screen on Monday," Croker said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Corey Horsburgh vows to repay the faith after being found guilty of low drink driving

It was an honest mistake and one Corey Horsburgh's paying for now. But the Canberra Raiders fiery prop has vowed to make amends for the embarrassment he's caused his club and family.

"It was an honest mistake. I thought I waited long enough, but obviously I didn't and I'm paying the price now," he said. "It could affect the start of my year. If I have to play NSW Cup, I'll put my best foot forward and hopefully get myself back in the team."

I can’t read the article, but from what I gather there’s a good chance Horsburgh could be selected for round 1 as the club hasn’t handed specific suspensions to the Corey’s? Ricky said something along the lines of it was up to the players to earn their spot. It seemed like CHN was suspended from the trial but Horsburgh wasn’t
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: March 6, 2021, 8:20 am

If Jarrod Croker's shoulder's not ready by Monday, Jarrod Croker will make the early call not to play. And the Raiders centre has anointed Sebastian Kris as the young gun likely to take his place if he's not ready.

"I probably won't know until Monday. We do screening every couple of days and I'll let it rest over the weekend, see how it pulls up, screen on Monday," Croker said.

Corey Horsburgh vows to repay the faith after being found guilty of low drink driving

It was an honest mistake and one Corey Horsburgh's paying for now. But the Canberra Raiders fiery prop has vowed to make amends for the embarrassment he's caused his club and family.

"It was an honest mistake. I thought I waited long enough, but obviously I didn't and I'm paying the price now," he said. "It could affect the start of my year. If I have to play NSW Cup, I'll put my best foot forward and hopefully get myself back in the team."

I can’t read the article, but from what I gather there’s a good chance Horsburgh could be selected for round 1 as the club hasn’t handed specific suspensions to the Corey’s? Ricky said something along the lines of it was up to the players to earn their spot. It seemed like CHN was suspended from the trial but Horsburgh wasn’t
The article is saying that there isn't an announced suspension from the club or the NRL (yet), but it seems likely that Stuart will "drop" Corey Horsburgh in Round 1 to NSW Cup. And Corey seems to be expecting to start the year in NSW Cup and will have to fight his way back. CHN seems to be out of the picture, particularly given that he's yet to face court.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:
Sid wrote: March 6, 2021, 8:20 am

The article is saying that there isn't an announced suspension from the club or the NRL (yet), but it seems likely that Stuart will "drop" Corey Horsburgh in Round 1 to NSW Cup. And Corey seems to be expecting to start the year in NSW Cup and will have to fight his way back. CHN seems to be out of the picture, particularly given that he's yet to face court.
Thanks GE

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

NRL sanctions are in. Hors 1 game suspension and $5000 fine suspended for 12 months. CHN 2 game suspension and $10000 fine.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

1. Cockstead
2. Simoo
3. Croker/Kris
4. Scott
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papa
9. Hodgson
10. Liu
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine
14. Starling
15. James
16. Soliola
17. Guler

This will be the team
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green Machine can be speed machine

It's not fun adapting to an even faster game, but Corey Horsburgh say the Canberra Raiders have the spine to take advantage of the NRL's new rules. Curtis Scott is worried about an even more crippling injury toll in 2021.

"It wasn't fun to play on the weekend, but it's one of those things - you've got to adapt," he said. "There's nothing we can do, you've just got to adapt and most people will after the first couple of weeks.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders predicted Round 1 team for 2021

After the Canberra Raiders trial matches last weekend, it seemed like the perfect time to have make yet another predicted team for round one.

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Seb Kris (Croker if fit)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili or Tom Starling
15. Sia Soliola
16. Ryan James
17. Emre Guler

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberra- ... -for-2021/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looks like kids under 5 have to buy a $30 + ticket to attend games this year?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

It's Game Day baby!!!

*looks at calendar*

:cry:

This is always the longest week of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii sets sights on top-four finish

It's top four or bust for Josh Papalii. Grand final even.

"I'll honestly be shocked if we don't make top four," he said. "That's just my opinion. I can be biased at times because I've been here a long time and I know what we have here is special. We'll be a chance to take it all the way to the final game. If I'm thinking less than the grand final this year there's no point being here.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:Looks like kids under 5 have to buy a $30 + ticket to attend games this year?

Is that right? Crazy.

Kids under 5 don’t really get actively involved in the game except for maybe the first 5 minutes and a close finish. They should be $10 for non grandstand tickets.

I feel that rugby league often forgets working class families these days.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 7, 2021, 9:23 pm
gergreg wrote:Looks like kids under 5 have to buy a $30 + ticket to attend games this year?

Is that right? Crazy.

Kids under 5 don’t really get actively involved in the game except for maybe the first 5 minutes and a close finish. They should be $10 for non grandstand tickets.

I feel that rugby league often forgets working class families these days.
It’d probably be because everyone needs a seat under COVID requirements. But the price could vary.
gagecreedlives
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Steve Jackson

Post by gagecreedlives »

Advice from the club is its a general entry ticket for children under 5 and if you have a reserved seat membership they can sit on your lap.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

1 more day until the first Team List Tuesday of the year!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: March 8, 2021, 11:09 am 1 more day until the first Team List Tuesday of the year!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Not sure about that.... which day is Team List Tuesday going to be this year??
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

This place if we lose..
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings: Concern for Knights; Rabbitohs a big threat

5. Canberra Raiders

I think the Raiders will finish in the top four, but I want to see how halfback George Williams attacks the start of the season and how he looks with hooker Josh Hodgson back alongside Jack Wighton and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. We never really got to see them all at their best last year with Hodgson being injured. This can be the year that Canberra bounce back and put themselves in the premiership frame.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/08/pow ... ig-threat/

Jamie has never really forgiven the Raiders, has he. He's tipping them for the top four, but puts them in fifth. :hmmm
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2021, 1:52 pm NRL.com power rankings: Concern for Knights; Rabbitohs a big threat

5. Canberra Raiders

I think the Raiders will finish in the top four, but I want to see how halfback George Williams attacks the start of the season and how he looks with hooker Josh Hodgson back alongside Jack Wighton and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. We never really got to see them all at their best last year with Hodgson being injured. This can be the year that Canberra bounce back and put themselves in the premiership frame.

Jamie has never really forgiven the Raiders, has he. He's tipping them for the top four, but puts them in fifth. :hmmm
thats our current power ge. he assumes we will have more power later
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

simo wrote: March 8, 2021, 1:55 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2021, 1:52 pm NRL.com power rankings: Concern for Knights; Rabbitohs a big threat

5. Canberra Raiders

Obviously the Raiders are stronger with the return of their #1 hooker (probably best in the game if no Cam Smith) and therefore he must wait to see if he makes them weaker before assessing them as more powerful than their 5th place finish last year. Truly a dizzying intellect.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Is Seb Kris in the Top 30? Why is he in peoples predicted teams?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makaveli wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:25 pm Is Seb Kris in the Top 30? Why is he in peoples predicted teams?
No he's not, not yet. His selection at starting centre for the trial indicated he might be added if Croker is not fit for Round 1. But that would mean all 30 spots would be taken... leaving no flexibility for later.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:29 pm
Makaveli wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:25 pm Is Seb Kris in the Top 30? Why is he in peoples predicted teams?
No he's not, not yet. His selection at starting centre for the trial indicated he might be added if Croker is not fit for Round 1. But that would mean all 30 spots would be taken... leaving no flexibility for later.
I thought we finalised our 30 though? As Hopoate is now included
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makaveli wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:33 pm
We understand that is incorrect. NRL.com has incorrectly listed 31 players, including Hopoate and Trey Mooney.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:35 pm
We understand that is incorrect. NRL.com has incorrectly listed 31 players, including Hopoate and Trey Mooney.
Ok, thanks. I was just reading this article (https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f6be24296d) which suggested "Kris would need to be promoted to the Top 30 to play in Round 1, which didn’t happen with Albert Hopoate getting the final spot in the Top 30"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Makaveli wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:37 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:35 pm
Ok, thanks. I was just reading this article (https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f6be24296d) which suggested "Kris would need to be promoted to the Top 30 to play in Round 1, which didn’t happen with Albert Hopoate getting the final spot in the Top 30"
I think some in the media have simply gone off the NRL.com list, without checking with the Raiders. NRL.com has had Hopoate on their list virtually since he's signed... and the Raiders issued contrary advice, saying they'd only signed 29, and did not have Hopoate on the list. Now NRL.com has added Mooney to their list for some reason... listing 31 players. That can't be right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:24 pm

5. Canberra Raiders

Obviously the Raiders are stronger with the return of their #1 hooker (probably best in the game if no Cam Smith) and therefore he must wait to see if he makes them weaker before assessing them as more powerful than their 5th place finish last year. Truly a dizzying intellect.
Well, when you consider that we have lost our biggest X-Factor in Bateman, as well as a beast in Cotric, I think there's an argument to say we are weaker.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I got bored yesterday arvo and watched the Tigers / Sea Eagles trial. Tigers main threat will be Luciano. Scott and Young better shut him down.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

tommyhud9 wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:50 pm

Well, when you consider that we have lost our biggest X-Factor in Bateman, as well as a beast in Cotric, I think there's an argument to say we are weaker.
Yes how we go without Bateman may be a factor. But given how we coped without him last season and that his overall impact on matches when he did play last year was significantly down- 2020 Johnny wasn't quite 2019 Johnny. Consider also the emergence of Young and signing of CHN... I think we'll cope with that. I may be wrong. But there's certainly steps in place to cope with it.

Cotric I don't think we've adequately replaced. Pretty hard to replace an Origin + Kangaroo rep without making a major signing in replacement. We're kind of throwing darts there that we cover his loss by a Croker return to form, CNK making another step forward as a player, Rapa turning the clock back, Scott showing his worth, Simonsson breakout year- basically just hoping something sticks.

As it stands I'd say the return of Hodgo, who is a stud in a key spine position might just shade the loss of a stud in an outside back position when it comes to crunch games. Also with the possibility that one of our outside backs has a lightning in a bottle year, which can't really be planned for but we always hope.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

tommyhud9 wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:50 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2021, 2:24 pm

5. Canberra Raiders

There is no way Bateman was the team’s biggest X-Factor.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' forward recruit Ryan James set for NRL return

It will have been 693 days between games, but finally Ryan James is back in the NRL. He will be part of the 17 to face the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium on Sunday when coach Ricky Stuart names his team on Tuesday.

"He's been out of the game a long time ... but it's been a wonderful effort to get through this pre-season and now get the opportunity to line up for his new club and his new teammates," Ricky Stuart said.

No other hints from Ricky.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

14. Havili
15. James
16. Soliola
17. Guler

That's my tip.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:14. Havili
15. James
16. Soliola
17. Guler

That's my tip.
I reckon it will be Starling instead of Havilli.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Im with bj