Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 25

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: March 1, 2021, 12:20 pm I was also of the opinion they weren’t shoulder charges (in the usual context).

Hors is known as fiery by the refs and commentators, this can often lead to an overreaction to any tackle out of the norm. I remember Tallis, Geyer, Plumb all being penalised for hard tackles that were 100% legal.
Yeah, I think that's absolutely a thing. Bit like Fenno with the holding down penalties. He got pinged for plenty that other players would get away with.

Love him to bits, but it doesn't help that Hors tends to get easily baited by cheap niggle. Taps has sorted that out now, so hopefully Horsburgh can follow suit.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Horse,s prickly habits could well see him spending plenty of time learning at the side of Sia and or James, but it will be in reserves. He needs to grow up.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad says Josh Hodgson is crucial for Canberra Raiders, with Jarrod Croker in doubt

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has welcomed the return of Josh Hodgson (ACL), but says even Ricky Stuart is probably unsure who will come into the team for Jarrod Croker (shoulder) if he's ruled out for Round 1. Sebastian Kris and Harley Smith-Shields have firmed as Croker's replacement.

"With Hodgey - just the leadership, his direction, everything that he brings to our team. It's even more important now that Jarrod Croker's not there as well. That spot's up for grabs. "

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Hodgson speaks about his combination with the halves: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... th-halves/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2021 Trial V Roosters: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by Botman »

Hors cleared for both shoulder charge reports...

Corey Horsburgh cleared - for now

Canberra Raiders firebrand Corey Horsburgh was cleared of both reports from the weekend's trial, but he's still likely to miss round one after pleading guilty to drink driving. There also hasn't been a decision on Corey Harawira-Naera's drink driving charge, with the Raiders forward to face court in three weeks.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Trial V Roosters: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: March 1, 2021, 7:07 pm
Hors cleared for both shoulder charge reports...
Thanks, scoop
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Old Scoop McScoopington over here
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Thanks guys, i really pride myself on being a news breaker.
Your validation means more to me than real evidence ever could.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I appreciate the link to The Canberra Times story, which was posted tonight at 6:30pm, thank you Botman.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW my 17 for round 1 would be:

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Emre Guler
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Ryan James
17. Ryan Sutton

Notes:
Re: Croker, HSS if he's not ready, though i certainly wouldnt fault anyone for having Kris or Timoko in that spot. Kris is someone im on record back a long time ago being higher than most on. Id love to see him get a run. They're all IMO pretty talented players, my tie breaker is upside. To me HSS has the highest ceiling.

Re: Starling: I get the reasons why you want Havilii, but im mindful of pressing Hodgson too far too early given his recovery and his age, and frankly, Starling is an x-factor i think we need, and i feel confident with middle forward minutes in the pack without Havilii, but again, no issues with anyone who leans Havilii's way, it's a very tight call

Re: Middles: I dont have strong views on Lui vs Guler starting, i think it would be useful to get Guler on the field early but im not married to it. I do feel very strongly about not starting James with Papalii, i think one of the benefits that James gives us is that Papalii lite game style, so if he's playing, i think its ideal for James to be primarily spelling Paps.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That above all being said, i think IBG has pretty much nailed how Stuart will name it. Im not totally convinced he'll start James though. I think he'll start Lui
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I can’t see Sia not being in the 17 round one.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Roy Rover wrote: March 2, 2021, 4:26 am I can’t see Sia not being in the 17 round one.
I can.

As much as we love him he misses out imo..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

I think Sia will get named on the bench instead of Sutton, Lui will start in front of James (who will still make the bench), Havil will be the 14 instead of Starling and Kris will play if Croker doesn’t.

The rest of the team is pretty straight forward.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Oh yeah, and Rapana will play on the wrong side again (the left).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

no harm in putting miles into Sutton's legs in nsw cup, great problem to have

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Confident this will be the starting side:

2. Jordan Rapana
3. Jarrod Croker (Harley Smith-Shields)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Bailey Simonsson
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

I'd probably pick this bench which means the second rowers cover a backline injury and Tapine covers a second row injury:

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Iosia Soliola
17. Ryan Sutton (babysitting Horsburgh's spot)

Stuart is more likely to pick a bench like this IMO:

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Iosia Soliola
17. Semi Valemei/HSS/Timoko/Kris*

* dependant on promotion.

- No ifs or buts Emre Guler is the number 2 prop in the squad IMO.
- Ryan James to be given at least 2 weeks pumping out some game time in NSW Cup IMO. If the other blokes weren't so good he could get miles in his legs in first grade but that seems unnecessary. I think we'll see Soliola start the year with his in game workload managed as the season wears on.
- Purely as a player Kris is fine in first grade. But it's risky filling that 30th spot before the season starts. He may actually be a smoky to be elevated to fill in at centre to start the season and then revert to the bench to play a backrow/utility role from the bench as he did a couple of times in 2019. The more I think about it if he is selected to and plays some backrow in reserve grade he's probably the perfect #30 because that is where the squad is noticably thin.
- The other possible smoky is Rushton used on the bench as cover IMO. That will come down to whether the coaching staff are still happy to use Joe Tapine as second row cover while CHN is out. He doesn't look ready at all. BUT during both trials I watched Siliva Havili and Ryan Sutton play large portions on an edge and it was a bit of a nightmare defensively. With the sped up game you can't have middles defending on an edge.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

The Nickman wrote: March 2, 2021, 5:44 am I think Sia will get named on the bench instead of Sutton, Lui will start in front of James (who will still make the bench), Havil will be the 14 instead of Starling and Kris will play if Croker doesn’t.

The rest of the team is pretty straight forward.
Yup agree with this
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You're right Rushton doesn't look ready at all. Shouldn't be in first grade this year.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I agree with Julian's team

Also one reason I have Starling on the bench instead of Havilii is that I don't expect Hodgson to come back out and straight up play 80 minutes of hooker after the long acl lay off and the increased speed of the game. The 10-15 minutes of hooker work either side of the half is enough to justify carrying a pure impact hooker role on the bench rather than a hooker/middle.

Last edited by Sid on March 2, 2021, 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:38 am You're right Rushton doesn't look ready at all. Shouldn't be in first grade this year.
Yep but if we lost a second rower and they didn't want to move Tapine he would be straight into first grade.

The days of our middle third flexibility are over (until Young reverts to the middle). Soliola and Papalii no longer cover an edge.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Assuming CHN is out he still wouldn't be coming up. They'd make it work with the 1st graders they already have. O'Donnell and Horsburgh would both be in that spot before Rushton. In 2022 it's probably a different story.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't agree actually. That is unless Tapine is shifted. Horsburgh wore the 11 last year, lined up there for one kick off and then swapped with Tapine who played there.

O'Donnell isn't in the top 30, so can't play until the second half of the season unless the NRL give dispensation due to an 'injury crisis' (like we had last year when he played). I'm also don't think he trialled on the weekend so I'm not sure what the story is there. Rushton is ahead of him as he's in the top 30. With CHN out he is the 3rd of our only 3 second rowers (excluding Tapine).
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

We saw everyone under the sun getting a go at second row because he won't be coming up. The coaching staff know they have a gap there. We have a good roster of actual first graders that will be able to manage the short term issues. It's as simple as that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'm pretty confident Kris will start in front of Smith-Shields.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 10:53 am We saw everyone under the sun getting a go at second row because he won't be coming up. The coaching staff know they have a gap there. We have a good roster of actual first graders that will be able to manage the short term issues. It's as simple as that.
Going to have to agree to disagree. Those other players played there because CHN wasn't playing meaning there were no other options to fill that position during the trials.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:I don't agree actually. That is unless Tapine is shifted. Horsburgh wore the 11 last year, lined up there for one kick off and then swapped with Tapine who played there.

O'Donnell isn't in the top 30, so can't play until the second half of the season unless the NRL give dispensation due to an 'injury crisis' (like we had last year when he played). I'm also don't think he trialled on the weekend so I'm not sure what the story is there. Rushton is ahead of him as he's in the top 30. With CHN out he is the 3rd of our only 3 second rowers (excluding Tapine).
the only development player who played was Medlyn.
Mariota and O'Donnell didn't play.
Mooney and Savage with known injuries
Clay Webb played SG Ball

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox Sports predicted Round 1 teams

Canberra Raiders v Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium (4.05pm)

Raiders predicted team: 1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2 Bailey Simonsson 3 Matthew Timoko 4 Curtis Scott 5 Jordan Rapana 6 Jack Wighton 7 George Williams 8 Josh Papalii 9 Josh Hodgson 10 Dunamis Lui 11 Hudson Young 12 Elliott Whitehead 13 Joe Tapine 14 Siliva Havili 15 Ryan James 16 Emre Guler 17 Sia Soliola

Tigers predicted team: 1 Daine Laurie 2 David Nofoaluma 3 James Roberts 4 Joey Leilua 5 Tommy Talau 6 Moses Mbye 7 Luke Brooks 8 James Tamou 9 Jacob Liddle 10 Joe Ofahengaue 11 Luke Garner 12 Luciano Leilua 13 Alex Twal 14 Michael Chee-Kam 15 Thomas Mikaele 16 Stefano Utoikamanu 17 Alex Seyfarth

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 93a0039cf8
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: March 2, 2021, 11:03 am I'm pretty confident Kris will start in front of Smith-Shields.
Croker kicking down the straight to win it all.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

julian87 wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:47 am
zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:38 am You're right Rushton doesn't look ready at all. Shouldn't be in first grade this year.
Yep but if we lost a second rower and they didn't want to move Tapine he would be straight into first grade.

The days of our middle third flexibility are over (until Young reverts to the middle). Soliola and Papalii no longer cover an edge.
I dont think he would be Rushtin
Dont delete this GE
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 1:28 pm
The Nickman wrote: March 2, 2021, 11:03 am I'm pretty confident Kris will start in front of Smith-Shields.
Croker kicking down the straight to win it all.
The only reason I'm not convinced Kris is ahead of HSS is that Kris missed out an entire year or more of footy with his (health?) issues and was the most in need of anyone as a welcome back to footy and gametime- given that by his frame and all reports he has been "training the house down".

We'll see. Kris certainly brought a robust physicality but HSS just looked polished and like he as a few layers to his game.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I agree long term HSS is your guy. He just looks like a professional and he's going to get better as the body gets more used to first grade.
I first thought Kris would get the nod when I saw the pre-season team photo. He looked like a first grader whereas HSS and Timoko were still a little on the small side. Earlier I left him out because I thought he was blocked (top 30) but seeing him get the start in the trial had him in my team.
Really looking forward to seeing these guys (along with Timoko) get out in reggies.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 4:54 pm I agree long term HSS is your guy. He just looks like a professional and he's going to get better as the body gets more used to first grade.
I first thought Kris would get the nod when I saw the pre-season team photo. He looked like a first grader whereas HSS and Timoko were still a little on the small side. Earlier I left him out because I thought he was blocked (top 30) but seeing him get the start in the trial had him in my team.
Really looking forward to seeing these guys (along with Timoko) get out in reggies.
So happy we have reggies just for this
Dont delete this GE
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think the Coach will name the below team for Round 1;

2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan Sutton

Unsure about 17 but whichever young outside back he prefers as cover for Croker or other injury. I think James will work his way into the side but will be given a few weeks in Reserve Grade first.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wiki Special wrote:I think the Coach will name the below team for Round 1;

2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan Sutton

Unsure about 17 but whichever young outside back he prefers as cover for Croker or other injury. I think James will work his way into the side but will be given a few weeks in Reserve Grade first.
Wingers are the wrong way around (although that’s how me and essentially anyone who isn’t one R. Stuart would have them), but otherwise you’ve nailed the 13

Soliola and James on the bench instead of Sutton for mine though
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wait wait, too obvious... Ricky S