Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by sprintman »

Melbourne doing a job on South’s that beggars belief!
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johnson would be both our weirdest and biggest halfback signing since Phil Blake. He seems to play less games every year and hasn't played even close to a full season for about 5 years... Not that excited for it.

Could go very Orford. On the other hand of GWilly goes, might not be a lot of options.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Signing Johnson would be Matt Orford MKII

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Johnson a very skillful player but has no will to win. He was smiling the other day when sharks lost to bulldogs, saying he was happy with his comeback
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Ultima wrote: April 29, 2021, 6:30 pm I know it's hard to get players to leave the Storm, but surely some of their guns in reserves/the bench (in teams which actually have backs on the bench) would be worth a crack at... Nothing against CNK/Wighton but Nicho Hynes has to be worth going for right? Would bring him closer to his home on the central coast as well.
Obviously thinking we should push this more... We have to have some cash spare right? A few players retiring this year, CNK can play wing too?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:Bellamy's considering his future yeah?

A club in relentless pursuit of success would throw the **** bank at him.
Definitely. Saw him interviewed earlier in the week and he still hasn't made a call on next year and beyond. Bring him home damnit.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

1. Hynes
6. Wighton
7. Johnson
9. Starling

Go get it Ricky!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Johnson would be awesome but he hates Canberra so I cannot see it happening. If we lost George I'd like us to make a play for an X factor half. If we could get milf, molan, mbye etc on ~400k I reckon it'd be worth a roll of the dice
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Need to swap Williams for Daryl Clark at Warrington before the Titans sign him.

Hooker with a good all round game, lightning fast and a really strong defender.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If we lose George then I'd go Pearce for a couple of seasons, until we can find something more long term. Given the stage he's at with his career, I reckon he's the most attainable out of the players touted.

If anyone saying they want Shaun Johnson is also saying that they want a 'game managing half', then uppercuts are in order.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hynes would be a great pick up for FB and you move CNK to centre.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Johnson is not an organising halfback so you need to contend with that.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:34 am Hynes would be a great pick up for FB and you move CNK to centre.
My issue with that is Hynes doesn't seem to have much about him speed wise. Moving CNK to the centres in that case fills 2 of 5 spots with slow players, and seeing as Scott doesn't seem to be on the way out anytime soon, that's 3 of 5 with little speed. Personally, my maximum would be two slow coaches in a back five.

Add in the possibility of George leaving, where any replacement likely won't be as quick as him, and we aren't doing enough to address the speed issue in the side.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

People saying we should sign Johnson are mad, Johnson is massively overrated and hasn't been any good since he left the warriors, hes also not an organiser and can't kick for ****. Hard no
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:18 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 6:34 am Hynes would be a great pick up for FB and you move CNK to centre.
My issue with that is Hynes doesn't seem to have much about him speed wise. Moving CNK to the centres in that case fills 2 of 5 spots with slow players, and seeing as Scott doesn't seem to be on the way out anytime soon, that's 3 of 5 with little speed. Personally, my maximum would be two slow coaches in a back five.

Add in the possibility of George leaving, where any replacement likely won't be as quick as him, and we aren't doing enough to address the speed issue in the side.
All valid points.
But do you really think Ricky will push CNK out to accommodate a new fullback?
Whether we move for Dufty or Hynes, you can be certain CNK will stay in the side...and I don't have an issue with that at centre.
Agree about speed, but we also lack positioning among the back 3.
Count the time between when the ball is returned off a kick...we allow it to touch grass more than any other team...and that puts us on the back foot before we even start...Rapana and Simmo are not taking care of this detail.
We need whoever we assign to play wing and fullback to be catching on the full and returning upfield quickly...it's such a fine art and the top 4-5 teams do it superbly.
CNK's best strength is his positioning and he could play a role if he were assigned a wing position. However, the problem is he lacks speed.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Do we think Hynes's ball playing is good enough to be a straight replacement option for Georgey boy?
Im not sure but it's pretty good, but he wouldnt fit the mould of a organisational half

I might be galaxy braining that one, but you miss 100% of the shots you dont take
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:10 am Do we think Hynes's ball playing is good enough to be a straight replacement option for Georgey boy?
Im not sure but it's pretty good, but he wouldnt fit the mould of a organisational half

I might be galaxy braining that one, but you miss 100% of the shots you dont take
No I don't, but we have to be realistic: we're Canberra and are unlikely to get our top pick, whoever that is. So buy Hynes and try to make it work like we did with GWilly.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:39 am
Botman wrote: May 7, 2021, 10:10 am Do we think Hynes's ball playing is good enough to be a straight replacement option for Georgey boy?

No I don't, but we have to be realistic: we're Canberra and are unlikely to get our top pick, whoever that is. So buy Hynes and try to make it work like we did with GWilly.
If he can kick, we will be okay. I do prefer him as a fullback option though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I watched his story online last night and noticed he wore a 7 jumper in a few of the youth teams. He’s an impressive guy and I’d like to see him in green. What would we need to fork out?

I’m also conscious many have warned the Storm don’t let good ones go and this would mean we would have 2 in our backline. That said the Fox is leaving and I’d say he’s s good one!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

You aren’t alone.
He played in the halves at youth level and I could see him playing 7, albeit a running 7.
Not sure what his organisational skills are like...it’s not a bad idea at all.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: May 7, 2021, 11:23 am

You aren’t alone.
He played in the halves at youth level and I could see him playing 7, albeit a running 7.
Not sure what his organisational skills are like...it’s not a bad idea at all.
Watching him play I would say no to being a no7. Particularly with a running 5/8 like Jack. We would want an organising half with a good tactical kicking game.

That said I would gladly sign Hynes as a fullback and shift CNK to centre.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Does anybody have an idea of what sort of options we have on the market for centre/wing?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

chris83 wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:22 am People saying we should sign Johnson are mad, Johnson is massively overrated and hasn't been any good since he left the warriors, hes also not an organiser and can't kick for ****. Hard no
topped the comp for try assistS(23) last year before getting injured.... and its not like he had superstars outside him
I'm not sure i'd sign him due to age/injuries etc and how well he would pair with Wighton but if you wanted to improve your attack he's worth considering. you're also probably getting him fairly cheap compared to what you would have paid 12 months ago pre injury
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Most the names being thrown around for replacement 7’s are guys who’s best days are beyond them who hopefully could turn out a decent season or two. Most are gambles with only potential short term rewards. Think I’d rather roll the dice on unearthing the next Sam Walker. Probably a bigger short term gamble but bigger longer term wins if we strike it lucky and nab a good kid.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote: May 7, 2021, 11:50 am
chris83 wrote: May 7, 2021, 8:22 am People saying we should sign Johnson are mad, Johnson is massively overrated and hasn't been any good since he left the warriors, hes also not an organiser and can't kick for ****. Hard no
topped the comp for try assistS(23) last year before getting injured.... and its not like he had superstars outside him
I'm not sure i'd sign him due to age/injuries etc and how well he would pair with Wighton but if you wanted to improve your attack he's worth considering. you're also probably getting him fairly cheap compared to what you would have paid 12 months ago pre injury
Can't fault his talent or big play ability. Biggest question on Johnson has always been him stepping up when the team really needs him. Unfortunately has a tendency to go MIA and most teams want a guy who can run the show for 80 mins in their no7.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
valemei94
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Semi Valemei

Post by valemei94 »

Should sign Bureta Faraimo
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Can we look within for a half? Schneider or Moala?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:32 pm Can we look within for a half? Schneider or Moala?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Ricky Stuart ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: May 7, 2021, 2:32 pm Can we look within for a half? Schneider or Moala?
Only seen glimpses of Schneider on NSW Cup highlights. Looks to have some of the right tools. Signed him as a schoolboy star. You'd like to think he has first shot unless we sign a veteran.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Crikey, anyone suggesting we sign Johnson should turn on kayo to witness the absolute dross he is dishing up.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Would Ash Taylor be worth a crack?

I feel like he was setup to fail at the Titans with no tools around him, he might one of better chances.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Do we think Hynes's ball playing is good enough to be a straight replacement option for Georgey boy?

Love people who quote Michael Scott
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

That’s what she said.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Honestly no. He isnt far off though. But id definitely want an organiser. Id say he is a 1 or 6, not 7.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Postman Pat wrote: May 7, 2021, 9:55 pm Would Ash Taylor be worth a crack?

I feel like he was setup to fail at the Titans with no tools around him, he might one of better chances.
No. Definitely not.