Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by BJ »

Yep Nikorama is very average. McCrone would have a similar try assist and line break assist record at a guess.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sam Williams it is then.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

If it's a matter of Nikorima or no one, I'd rather go down the no one track and make use of Williams/Schneider in 2022. Go for someone big in 2023, and properly plan long term rather than squandering money on someone who may only just be marginally better than what we already have.

Widdop and Johnson probably even fit in that same bracket.

Much halfback talent off contract end of '22?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone could not want shaun johnson. Hes an elite half with an outstanding short kicking game and high percentage goal kicker. Hes what we need while we keep hodgo
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Matt wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:20 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:18 pm
Matt wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:34 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:20 pm Kodi Nikorima... :o I'd rather Gareth Widdop or Shaun Johnson.
I don't. Those two players have "Matt Orford" written all over them.
Agreed Nickman.

I feel like we need to have the 'availability to cost' discussion GE.

SJ is going to the Dogs for 1 mill a yr. Which is laughable, coz he only plays 75% of games. His legs fall apart every yr.

Widdop has 2 shoulders that don't stay on place. Which is why Dragz got rid of him. He is also 33, which is getting too old for this young man's game.
Shaun Johnson is reportedly going to the Dogs for $500,000 a year... $1 million for two years. I'd gladly see the Raiders pay that for Johnson. Widdop is 32. I'd still rather either of them on a short contract than Nikorima, who will be wanting more than the $500,000 odd he's on now - given he's managed by Moses. If he was coming at the price of a Sam Williams, maybe. Both Johnson and Widdop were far more talented footballers than Nikorima.
If u sign SJ on 500k, you are throwing 125k down the loo. Coz he'll be injured.
And hes worth every cent
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 18, 2021, 11:55 am We already look like a dog's breakfast in attack and somehow Kodi Nikorima's name is brought up in the halfback discussion?

Fair enough.
Like I keep saying, individual players aren't going to fix our rubbish attack, and buying new players to replace existing ones is just shuffling the proverbial deck chairs, BUT we do need a halfback and out of the names thrown around like 75-year old Gareth Widdop, an overweight and disinterested Anthony Milford, Luke **** I don't want to tackle Brooks and Kodi Nikorima, I'm taking the best of an absolutely **** bunch.
That would be the witches hat wouldn't it?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

SJ at 500k is pretty good value. He is the best option available.

I think we could make a play for Flanagan at half that price. He is basically a younger Sam Williams except he can tackle and is a good goal kicker. We get him cheap so we throw good money towards an upgrade at fullback and/or hooker. We don't need a match winning half if we upgrade other areas. I actually see a bit of potential with him. Could be Ricky's next project.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:32 pm
Matt wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:20 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:18 pm
Matt wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:34 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:25 pm
I don't. Those two players have "Matt Orford" written all over them.
Agreed Nickman.

I feel like we need to have the 'availability to cost' discussion GE.

SJ is going to the Dogs for 1 mill a yr. Which is laughable, coz he only plays 75% of games. His legs fall apart every yr.

Widdop has 2 shoulders that don't stay on place. Which is why Dragz got rid of him. He is also 33, which is getting too old for this young man's game.
Shaun Johnson is reportedly going to the Dogs for $500,000 a year... $1 million for two years. I'd gladly see the Raiders pay that for Johnson. Widdop is 32. I'd still rather either of them on a short contract than Nikorima, who will be wanting more than the $500,000 odd he's on now - given he's managed by Moses. If he was coming at the price of a Sam Williams, maybe. Both Johnson and Widdop were far more talented footballers than Nikorima.
If u sign SJ on 500k, you are throwing 125k down the loo. Coz he'll be injured.
It is still better value than $600k or whatever for Nikorima. He's not a good player and certainly not what we need.
133 NRL games.
15 caps for NZ.
A right half.
Kicks goals at 80%.
Currently the 5th halfback for try assists.
4th half-back for line breaks.
3rd for line break assists
10th for forced drop outs, 1 behind George.

4th for missed tackles, but 79% tackle efficiency, so you'd have to assume a decent portion of those misses still slow the player down.
10th for try causes - equal with DCE and Hunt who are considered good defenders.

He isnt perfect, none of the options are. BUT, he fits our needs.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: June 19, 2021, 9:27 am SJ at 500k is pretty good value. He is the best option available.

I think we could make a play for Flanagan at half that price. He is basically a younger Sam Williams except he can tackle and is a good goal kicker. We get him cheap so we throw good money towards an upgrade at fullback and/or hooker. We don't need a match winning half if we upgrade other areas. I actually see a bit of potential with him. Could be Ricky's next project.

My only worries, and they are big ones, with Flanno are:
1. Wants to play for his dad
2. His confidence is in the toilet

That said, right half who kicks goals. It's a need
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 19, 2021, 9:27 am SJ at 500k is pretty good value. He is the best option available.

Of course there are worries with him. He was tried and failed at the best club in the comp, at the time. I thought Robbo was a little harsh on him but it does appear to be a method he uses to motivate players. He was pretty tough on Latrell and dropped him to work on his game. And just for the record I'm not at all comparing the 2 players. Flanagan's confidence was completely shot after that and then he is expected to guide an absolute rabble around - sitting behind the **** Broncos on the ladder, for now.

What I am comparing is available halves on the market, how they fit in our squad and their price. I think there is value and potential in Flanagan. To your other point, I know it will rustle a few jimmies but I also think adding Shane Flanagan as an assistant coach would improve our side immediately. He could come in as an attacking coach, I think he has more to offer - tactically - than Ricky. But I understand completely the reasons why some supporters wouldn't want Shane here. I also think Bellamy has done a lot of damage to the game, in general, with his tactics in the last 20 years... but I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

Flanagan's failing is his running game. Most other areas of his game are pretty good. We don't need a running half. He could work with Sam Williams on his game management and play a role for the team. He is a decent kicker, an excellent goal kicker and good defensively for a half and he's probably half the price of any other half being discussed.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: June 19, 2021, 11:32 am
Matt wrote:

Of course there are worries with him. He was tried and failed at the best club in the comp, at the time. I thought Robbo was a little harsh on him but it does appear to be a method he uses to motivate players. He was pretty tough on Latrell and dropped him to work on his game. And just for the record I'm not at all comparing the 2 players. Flanagan's confidence was completely shot after that and then he is expected to guide an absolute rabble around - sitting behind the **** Broncos on the ladder, for now.

What I am comparing is available halves on the market, how they fit in our squad and their price. I think there is value and potential in Flanagan. To your other point, I know it will rustle a few jimmies but I also think adding Shane Flanagan as an assistant coach would improve our side immediately. He could come in as an attacking coach, I think he has more to offer - tactically - than Ricky. But I understand completely the reasons why some supporters wouldn't want Shane here. I also think Bellamy has done a lot of damage to the game, in general, with his tactics in the last 20 years... but I'd take him here in a heartbeat.

Flanagan's failing is his running game. Most other areas of his game are pretty good. We don't need a running half. He could work with Sam Williams on his game management and play a role for the team. He is a decent kicker, an excellent goal kicker and good defensively for a half and he's probably half the price of any other half being discussed.

It won't be popular at all.
Im not totally sure where I stand on him.
Ticks requirment boxes, which at this point in time helps. Also, the price might be right.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: June 19, 2021, 11:37 am
Matt wrote:

Ticks requirment boxes, which at this point in time helps. Also, the price might be right.
I DO know where I stand…

…Over the toilet bowl hurling up my lunch after reading a perfectly logical dialogue as to why Flanagan Jnr is an option as starting half, and Flanagan snr as assistant, coach.

How the hell did we end up here??
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Flanagan Jr is clearly the best reserve half in the comp for mine.

Not sure where his head is at, but he's a handy player. He would be better if he perfected that kicking game though. Seems to drop in and out of games. Unlikely to ever be in the top echelon of halves though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
Matt wrote: June 19, 2021, 11:37 am
Matt wrote:

I DO know where I stand…

…Over the toilet bowl hurling up my lunch after reading a perfectly logical dialogue as to why Flanagan Jnr is an option as starting half, and Flanagan snr as assistant, coach.

How the hell did we end up here??
You know I like to be a little provocative to spice things up.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Kyle Flanagan :lol:

**** me. The kid can't get into the worst team in the comp. Sam Williams is levels above him.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You record in judging halves is atrocious.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: June 19, 2021, 5:27 pm Kyle Flanagan :lol:

**** me. The kid can't get into the worst team in the comp. Sam Williams is levels above him.
He’s no Luke Brooks.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Hahaha. Don't know about that
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: June 19, 2021, 5:29 pm You record in judging halves is atrocious.

Yeah..... it really isn't.

Kyle Flanagan is pure garbage.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: June 19, 2021, 6:27 pm

He’s no Luke Brooks.
He's no George Williams either, who's apparently the worst player in the world according to you.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Any warm body for halfback will do now…
We are hopeless..
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah..... and Kyle Flanagan ain't it. If Kyle Flanagan is the answer, **** knows what question is being asked.

We've had plenty of hot takes on the forum of late, but this one could take the cake.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

At least Flanagan looks in half decent shape, SW looks completely off the pace atm.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:Yeah..... and Kyle Flanagan ain't it. If Kyle Flanagan is the answer, **** knows what question is being asked.

We've had plenty of hot takes on the forum of late, but this one could take the cake.
Hot takes you say?

You pissed and moaned for how many years about Williams being superior to Sezer. Most people would stop criticising other people's opinions after getting it so wrong. Particularly someone pushing for Luke LOL Brooks as an alternative.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Brooks is a joke. He was trash last night when flogged 66-16 by Storm. Read the West Tigers fan forums - they would love it for a club to take him. Not only is he ****, but he breeds complacency and low standards that clubs cannot build around. No leadership for a halfback - as he hardly does any talking ! He doesn't have any clue. Brooks, Ash Taylor, and Milford would be the three worst players relative to their pay.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

The current top 4 is only getting stronger in the coming years.. So are manly Cronulla Cowboys warriors.. we are gna be struggling to make the 8 for a few more years unless we make a big signing and change our style
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

radicalraider wrote: June 20, 2021, 12:33 pm The current top 4 is only getting stronger in the coming years.. So are manly Cronulla Cowboys warriors.. we are gna be struggling to make the 8 for a few more years unless we make a big signing and change our style
Remember when we signed Matt Dufty
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

On what basis are Manly, Sharks, Warriors and Cowboys going to be better next year?

The only teams you can say for certain will be better next year are Broncos and Dogs. Mainly because they are so **** now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Brooks is the worst player i have ever seen
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: June 20, 2021, 11:27 am
afgtnk wrote:Yeah..... and Kyle Flanagan ain't it. If Kyle Flanagan is the answer, **** knows what question is being asked.

Hot takes you say?

You pissed and moaned for how many years about Williams being superior to Sezer. Most people would stop criticising other people's opinions after getting it so wrong. Particularly someone pushing for Luke LOL Brooks as an alternative.

I'm gonna clear this up, once and for all. You keep replying to me with this Williams v Sezer strawman. Consistently, across the forums. As if this is some huge 'W' you've had, which you can't seem to get over. It's a sick fascination, like a middle aged man recounting tales of some hottie back in the day..... that he never actually pulled and lied to his mates about.

I was never about Williams vs Sezer. That was never the actual fight, never the war. Sam Williams is a borderline NRL half, mainly a reserve grade half - something I've maintained for many years now. He is not the solution to our problems right now - let that be clear.

The war was Sezer is garbage and not good enough for us, which turned out to be 100% correct. 100% percent. Stuart got rid of him mid-contract, something that he's done to only a handful of players, and brought in a vastly superior footballer, who by the vote of the Greenhouse public was judged our best player last season. Something that Sezer never even came close to.

Sezer is now playing for some third rate club in a second rate league, unable to land another NRL gig. That's where this all ends - you were wrong, so **** deal with it. You hear that? YOU WERE WRONG.

So in summary, go home and get your **** shine box. No one wants Kyle Flanagan here you deluded ****, apart from **** football judges like you.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

That's some classic rewriting of your posting history. Anybody who has been on this forum for a few years knows it. It's you who needs to take the L.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Champ

No one is re-writing anything. You got it wrong, very wrong at that, and Sezer is gone.

Get the **** over it.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:Williams is a better halfback than Sezer, end of really. Both are clearly not ideal first choice halves though.

Infact, Sezer shouldn't even be considered a halfback - he simply doesn't think or act like one. The only things that you could say he's better at than Williams are defence and long passing. And even then, his defence isn't that good.

Ricky has made some very astute recruitment decisions since he's been here but halves clearly hasn't been one of them, save for Austin's debut season with us.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Flanagan > Brooks
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

gergreg wrote: June 20, 2021, 8:11 pm
afgtnk wrote:Williams is a better halfback than Sezer, end of really. Both are clearly not ideal first choice halves though.

Infact, Sezer shouldn't even be considered a halfback - he simply doesn't think or act like one. The only things that you could say he's better at than Williams are defence and long passing. And even then, his defence isn't that good.

Ricky has made some very astute recruitment decisions since he's been here but halves clearly hasn't been one of them, save for Austin's debut season with us.

Big swing, and as expected, a big miss. Only reiterates what I've said.

The war's done son. It's over. You lost. Your boy arrived, he was crap, he got booted. Move on with your life - everyone else has.