Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Canberra Milk »

Might explain why the Tigers lost interest in Curtis Scott...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

SIGN

LOMAX
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Last year I thought Crichton was a better prospect but he has a serious case of second year syndrome. Lomax has had an interrupted season, which is a little concerning but he has looked better than Crichton this year. He's got a bit of attitude too, won't take a backward step to anybody.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Priorities...

1. Halfback. No explanation required.

2. Daylight.

3. 5/8. Wighton is an out of form superstar, but I'd move him to the second row to replace Whitehead in a heartbeat if we had a decent 6 to bring in.

Unlike most I think we have fullback covered by either CNK or Savage. Spending big bucks on a new fullback is a complete waste of cap space IMO, especially if we get a decent halfback.

4. Centre. Plenty of options in-house, but we need to get some new blood on the edges. CNK is an option depending on whether you put Savage at fullback or on the wing.

5. Second Row. I don't for a second expect the club to move Wighton, so to that extent we need some new blood to replace Whitehead. Esera is a bloody gun though and Rushton is on the books.

6. Front row. Depth is OK, but you can't lose Lui, James and Sia with no impact, especially with question marks over the Red Rage.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Tigers get Scott, Dragons get Mybe and we get Lomax.
Everyone wins right?

Except the tigers and dragons of course
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Papenhuyzen signs with Storm 3 years $2mill.

I have no idea how he's only worth $650-700k/year. Friendly reminder that we're paying Croker just short of that at $600k

Really irks me how players take pay cuts to stay at strong teams. The strong just get stronger
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:Tigers get Scott, Dragons get Mybe and we get Lomax.
Everyone wins right?

Yeah, that arrangement ticks a lot of boxes.

Get it done!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 29, 2021, 8:52 pm Papenhuyzen signs with Storm 3 years $2mill.

I have no idea how he's only worth $650-700k/year. Friendly reminder that we're paying Croker just short of that at $600k

Really irks me how players take pay cuts to stay at strong teams. The strong just get stronger
Na, according to the Top 101 reporting, Croker is 470k, not 600k.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Oh fair enough... that makes more sense really
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Just sign Manu hey. Pay him what he wants and play him where he wants. Think he might be my new Luke Lewis.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

zim wrote:Just sign Manu hey. Pay him what he wants and play him where he wants. Think he might be my new Luke Lewis.
Warriors have made him a Million dollar offer apparently
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

That's the kind of offer I'd expect to come at him. I don't think we're any real chance of making a serious play.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Yeah, I was a big advocate for signing Manu but not if we have to compete with a million dollar Warriors offer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Yeah, I was a big advocate for signing Manu but not if we have to compete with a million dollar Warriors offer
Yep good player, but not where I’d put a big chunk of my salary cap.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

If Joey Manu is *not* worth a million, then who do you think is? I think he's very very close to it. Him playing his career at centre would be a block from me actually offering it tho. But I can see how for a low to mid tier team, it would be a punt worth taking. Worst case, you get a world class centre. And more likely that not, a world class fullback
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: July 29, 2021, 8:01 pm Tigers get Scott, Dragons get Mybe and we get Lomax.
Everyone wins right?

According to Tigz, yes
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: July 29, 2021, 10:36 pm Just sign Manu hey. Pay him what he wants and play him where he wants. Think he might be my new Luke Lewis.
I can see that
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 30, 2021, 1:23 pm If Joey Manu is *not* worth a million, then who do you think is? I think he's very very close to it. Him playing his career at centre would be a block from me actually offering it tho. But I can see how for a low to mid tier team, it would be a punt worth taking. Worst case, you get a world class centre. And more likely that not, a world class fullback
Agreed. But confident u r getting a world class FB
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 30, 2021, 1:23 pm If Joey Manu is *not* worth a million, then who do you think is? I think he's very very close to it. Him playing his career at centre would be a block from me actually offering it tho. But I can see how for a low to mid tier team, it would be a punt worth taking. Worst case, you get a world class centre. And more likely that not, a world class fullback
I think there's a case to pay maybe up to $1mil if you're banking on him being a success at FB, but no higher. If Warriors are offering $1mil then I think you'd have to fork out at least that to be in the game. They will be doing everything they can to secure him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

People said the same about Latrell when he went to FB. I don't hear anyone doubting it now but the Murdoch press and plenty of fans were deathriding him for some time.

I don't know if Joey Many is that good- I honestly haven't watched him as much. But the cap has shrunk a tad and he'd be getting more than Latrell...

It's very, very hard to return value there at that rate- like DCE is a very good half but his cap % deal really limits Manly as a club and will do until he retires.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Matt wrote: July 30, 2021, 1:32 pm
Agreed. But confident u r getting a world class FB
Me too, I think he'd be a top 10 player in the game at fullback. Or even five-eighth, but I'd go fullback
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Milford to Souths, still not sure we didn't miss out there... it feels like a luxury to have someone of his talent floating around in the 30 man squad... I'll feel relieved if he continues to stink it up though (sorry Milf)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If he got thin again he could carve up, Brisbane bulked him up to play 6 and he lost his spark.

Then he got fat and was hopeless

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 30, 2021, 5:40 pm Milford to Souths, still not sure we didn't miss out there... it feels like a luxury to have someone of his talent floating around in the 30 man squad... I'll feel relieved if he continues to stink it up though (sorry Milf)
Milf isn't going to improve your culture as a squadman? No. Decidely no. Benji was appalled at Milf's training ethic when partnered up with him at the Broncs. So he's top 17 or bust.

Is he our FB? No.

5/8? I guess that would be an argument, but do we move Jack on the base of that, after 2 awesome 5/8 years + 1 average? For Milf? Nope.

Is he a halfback? Nope.

Is he our #14? Most valid option. But in our setup with Hodgo and Starling do we want/need a #14 like Milf as our back on the bench? At his price? Vs Kris or Timoko or Rapa? Maybe.

Plus I think if he wanted to be in Canberra at all, he'd still be here. I don't think we were an option.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Haha Tigers. Haha Captain Brooks
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 30, 2021, 7:49 pm Haha Tigers. Haha Captain Brooks
Good lord what a disgrace the Tigers are. No brains, no dummy half, no clue. I'll except Luciano and Nofaluma. I'd be sacking the coach, the captain AND the CEO.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Ironically if you were a coach that has your sights on Brooks this is the perfect time to make your move. Just as he's coming to terms with missing out on the finals yet again under a coach that is running out of reasons to keep him around.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

zim wrote: July 30, 2021, 8:04 pm Ironically if you were a coach that has your sights on Brooks this is the perfect time to make your move. Just as he's coming to terms with missing out on the finals yet again under a coach that is running out of reasons to keep him around.
How many games and no finals? How many years and no finals ? Is it a top 5 like in 1989 ? Oops - a top 8

Blaming the team again for his failures? Against a team with everything to play for right like the Warriors.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

His first real year of grade was 2014. So that's 7 years and 166 games. I can't say I've ever seen Brooks come out and blame his team mates and given how he's persistently stuck around that would be surprising.

Tonight was certainly a game he flubbed.
Tigers and losing when you've got everything to play for is set in stone at this point.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 30, 2021, 7:49 pm Haha Tigers. Haha Captain Brooks
Good lord what a disgrace the Tigers are. No brains, no dummy half, no clue. I'll except Luciano and Nofaluma. I'd be sacking the coach, the captain AND the CEO.
Will you except them, or accept them?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

zim wrote: July 30, 2021, 8:20 pm His first real year of grade was 2014. So that's 7 years and 166 games. I can't say I've ever seen Brooks come out and blame his team mates and given how he's persistently stuck around that would be surprising.

Tonight was certainly a game he flubbed.
Tigers and losing when you've got everything to play for is set in stone at this point.
I'm being sarcastic my friend. Actually he has plenty of pace, but still not polished after so many years of FG. Don't expect him to game manage if he comes here. Doesn't come up with the winning play when his team needs him. Halfbacks win or lose games.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Ah righty. My post wasn't meant to be a show of support to bring him here. My own thoughts on Brooks are somewhere between Luke (hah) warm and cold.
Just a general statement that if you wanted to get your best value out of him the time to move is soon.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

zim wrote: July 30, 2021, 8:35 pm Ah righty. My post wasn't meant to be a show of support to bring him here. My own thoughts on Brooks are somewhere between Luke (hah) warm and cold.
Just a general statement that if you wanted to get your best value out of him the time to move is soon.
Same me actually! I've said he's better than Sammy so that is an upgrade, but not in the same league as Reynolds or G Williams. This topic has indeed polarised our fans!
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on July 30, 2021, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: July 30, 2021, 8:35 pm Ah righty. My post wasn't meant to be a show of support to bring him here. My own thoughts on Brooks are somewhere between Luke (hah) warm and cold.
To your point, whatever the tigers valued him at, it must be halved tonight :lol:
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Luke Brooks over Adam Reynolds :lol: :roflmao