All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Matt »

valemei94 wrote: September 17, 2021, 3:20 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:20 pm Why would they be at Cafe Momo anyway? The Raiders moved to Braddon two years ago!

Soliola goes to momo all the time !!
Duncan Dunbar Reserve too
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

valemei94 wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:20 pm Why would they be at Cafe Momo anyway? The Raiders moved to Braddon two years ago!

Soliola goes to momo all the time !!
Doesn't make your blatant lie anymore true

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Such a weird rumour to make up lol

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

EJ wrote:Such a weird rumour to make up lol

it's an old throwback from a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

bonehead wrote:

Like that time Tony Williams was at a servo in Queanbeyan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Roy Rover wrote:
bonehead wrote:

Like that time Tony Williams was at a servo in Queanbeyan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
exactly, same dill

Edrick The Entertainer
valemei94
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Semi Valemei

Post by valemei94 »

I would Sign Chanel Harris Tavita in a heartbeat
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

valemei94 wrote:I would Sign Chanel Harris Tavita in a heartbeat
You'd also sign John Folau, Tony Williams, Bureta Furaimo

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Sign CHT on circa 400, Peachy on circa 300 and kikau on circa 800 using money from James, Curtis Scott and g willy and strap yourselves in 😊
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

What’s Daniel Mortimer up to these days? Anyone spotted him having any coffees/beers at any closed cafes/pubs/servos with any Raiders officials or Polky?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Kikau is not worth $900,000, $800,000 or $700,000.

Brown is not our answer and is not worth more than $500,000

I thought Matterson was good tonight in the middle - should look at him.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Finchy wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:08 pm What’s Daniel Mortimer up to these days? Anyone spotted him having any coffees/beers at any closed cafes/pubs/servos with any Raiders officials or Polky?
Was spotted having pizza with officials at Stanley's in Bruce.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Kikau is not worth $900,000, $800,000 or $700,000.

Brown is not our answer and is not worth more than $500,000

I thought Matterson was good tonight in the middle - should look at him.
Matterson is trending down. Some serious concussion issues there. A big risk. Agree on Kikau, he's been very ordinary for the backend of this year.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Kikau is over-rated. Yes he’s a behemoth that scores the occasional good try running at small men out wide. But that’s about it. A poor mans David Fifita, who’s effort also doesn’t really justify his pay packet. Kikau practically cost Penrith the GF last year with an Edrick Lee-like performance. He hasn’t been much better for a large part of this year. I know SuperCoach stats aren’t everything, but he was a punish in my team this year. If he steamrolled someone close to the try line he’d score ok, but offers zero other base stats. He’d pull a score of 20 more often than 100. I say let the Dragqueens waste $900k on him and ruin their salary cap. He isn’t worth it.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

A good job we weren’t looking at Milford…
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

sprintman wrote: September 20, 2021, 9:10 am A good job we weren’t looking at Milford…
Souths contract might be over before it starts.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Anyone else starting to get worried we’ll be heading in to 2022 with the squad we currently have?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Timbo wrote:Anyone else starting to get worried we’ll be heading in to 2022 with the squad we currently have?
actually I'm slightly happy that we aren't just buying whoever is off contract and appear to be playing the nov1 game.

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:
Timbo wrote:Anyone else starting to get worried we’ll be heading in to 2022 with the squad we currently have?
actually I'm slightly happy that we aren't just buying whoever is off contract and appear to be playing the nov1 game.

Yeah this. Better to be where we are, than going out and panic buying players
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: September 22, 2021, 11:42 am Anyone else starting to get worried we’ll be heading in to 2022 with the squad we currently have?
I got worried when we missed out on the likes of Hynes back in the middle of the season. I'm struggling to see where the Raiders pick up the talent needed in key spots, even after any November 1 shake out.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
Timbo wrote: September 22, 2021, 11:42 am Anyone else starting to get worried we’ll be heading in to 2022 with the squad we currently have?
I got worried when we missed out on the likes of Hynes back in the middle of the season. I'm struggling to see where the Raiders pick up the talent needed in key spots, even after any November 1 shake out.
There’s often players who pop up around the early weeks of the season. Sometimes good players.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I think next year is a gap year - let's save our money for better quality coming off the market in 2023 (who can negotiate in November 2021). I would like to see us recruit some younger talented players from the Panthers or other systems for next year. That's the way to go - Newcastle recruited Ponga only after a few FG games, Reece Walsh had not played FG before the Warriors, Dane Laurie and Stefano have largely been successes at the Tigers compared to their experienced recruits like Tamou, James Roberts, Joey, at Manly Saab and Garrick have been successful and were not established FGers.

When you think about it, Ricky can improve juniors and younger players but he had problems improving the games of recent recruits with a lot of NRL experience like Curtis Scott, Aidan Sezer, Sisa Waqa, even Blake Austin and now Ryan James leaves us after one year of hardly even playing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 1:15 pm I think next year is a gap year - let's save our money for better quality coming off the market in 2023 (who can negotiate in November 2021). I would like to see us recruit some younger talented players from the Panthers or other systems for next year. That's the way to go - Newcastle recruited Ponga only after a few FG games, Reece Walsh had not played FG before the Warriors, Dane Laurie and Stefano have largely been successes at the Tigers compared to their experienced recruits like Tamou, James Roberts, Joey, at Manly Saab and Garrick have been successful and were not established FGers.

When you think about it, Ricky can improve juniors and younger players but he had problems improving the games of recent recruits with a lot of NRL experience like Curtis Scott, Aidan Sezer, Sisa Waqa, even Blake Austin and now Ryan James leaves us after one year of hardly even playing.
Harsh on Austin. Got him to a Dally M. Was really only 'bad' in that last season, and even then, it was post the BJ bust up and when he was told to look elsewhere (which was AFTER we offered a contract which he turned down - we got lucky).
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 2:06 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 1:15 pm I think next year is a gap year - let's save our money for better quality coming off the market in 2023 (who can negotiate in November 2021). I would like to see us recruit some younger talented players from the Panthers or other systems for next year. That's the way to go - Newcastle recruited Ponga only after a few FG games, Reece Walsh had not played FG before the Warriors, Dane Laurie and Stefano have largely been successes at the Tigers compared to their experienced recruits like Tamou, James Roberts, Joey, at Manly Saab and Garrick have been successful and were not established FGers.

Harsh on Austin. Got him to a Dally M. Was really only 'bad' in that last season, and even then, it was post the BJ bust up and when he was told to look elsewhere (which was AFTER we offered a contract which he turned down - we got lucky).
Austin was entertaining when he was here but he was a one trick pony. Don't think Ricky improved his game much. As to the Dally Ms, Milford was the best 5/8 that year, Morgan second. We had an average defence, finished 10th, which was not assisted by having turnstiles in several positions.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 2:27 pm
Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 2:06 pm

Austin was entertaining when he was here but he was a one trick pony. Don't think Ricky improved his game much. As to the Dally Ms, Milford was the best 5/8 that year, Morgan second. We had an average defence, finished 10th, which was not assisted by having turnstiles in several positions.
Thats probably fair
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

The point is Matt - there's very little value and quality on the market that came off contract this year but we need 3 players to improve our squad. Better to look at unknown younger players with upside. Ricky did good jobs with Tapine, CNK, Cotric, Young, Starling, Sutton, even Rapana, in progressing their careers. Same with the likes of Vaughan, Shannon Boyd, Junior Paulo before they left. I think he will do the same with Savage, HSS, Timoko. Whitehead, Bateman and Hodgson were known players when they joined us.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 2:38 pm The point is Matt - there's very little value and quality on the market that came off contract this year but we need 3 players to improve our squad. Better to look at unknown younger players with upside. Ricky did good jobs with Tapine, CNK, Cotric, Young, Starling, Sutton, even Rapana, in progressing their careers. Same with the likes of Vaughan, Shannon Boyd, Junior Paulo before they left. I think he will do the same with Savage, HSS, Timoko. Whitehead, Bateman and Hodgson were known players when they joined us.
Yeah, I agree. Its a young mans game now
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 2:38 pm The point is Matt - there's very little value and quality on the market that came off contract this year but we need 3 players to improve our squad. Better to look at unknown younger players with upside. Ricky did good jobs with Tapine, CNK, Cotric, Young, Starling, Sutton, even Rapana, in progressing their careers. Same with the likes of Vaughan, Shannon Boyd, Junior Paulo before they left. I think he will do the same with Savage, HSS, Timoko. Whitehead, Bateman and Hodgson were known players when they joined us.
Good point. I'd argue he gets the credit for selecting and assimilating the English trio- plenty of other coaches have tried and failed from the same market.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

BadnMean wrote: September 22, 2021, 4:32 pm
Good point. I'd argue he gets the credit for selecting and assimilating the English trio- plenty of other coaches have tried and failed from the same market.
Not really. There's a difference between recruiting from Super League in general and recruiting from in and around the England team.

Those three all came from the latter and few players from that group have been unsuccessful.

(that's not to disagree with your general point and the one about assimilation).
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

MrPosh wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:46 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 22, 2021, 4:32 pm
Not really. There's a difference between recruiting from Super League in general and recruiting from in and around the England team.

Those three all came from the latter and few players from that group have been unsuccessful.

(that's not to disagree with your general point and the one about assimilation).
Yes agreed. Big difference between Jordan Turner who I didn't even see take the field and those three.
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

Hope we Sign CHT
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hope we sign John Folau and Tesi Niu
Last edited by afgtnk on September 24, 2021, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Nope we sign John Folau and Tesi Niu
Burrito Furaimo would be good too

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

A burrito would be **** excellent right now
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

They are all way better than you guys I’d like to see u try and make it in the NRL