Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Colk »

Chanel Harris Tevita? Not the worst idea but he hasn’t really kicked in as much as I thought he would have
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: October 8, 2021, 7:43 pm Fogarty at 7. Wighton at 13 and CHT at 6 with the Metcalf signing would be worth a crack imo.
Metcalf signed with Warriors
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I hope we are looking at Sims or another edge player now. I wonder what he'd go for?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:I hope we are looking at Sims or another edge player now. I wonder what he'd go for?
I'm on the fence with Sims. I do watch most games each year and I had Sims in my NRL Ceo side 2 or 3 seasons back, so I've watched him closely. His last year with McGregor coaching was very frustrating to watch. He was used predominantly as a decoy runner - even when he was often in one-on-one try scoring situations and he is a big, powerful guy and wouldn't be stopped in those situations. I couldn't understand it, was it a coaching tactic or the player just putting himself in that position? Maybe a little of both, plus they did seem to preference Frizzell as the hole runner instead.

Last year Sims was better than the 2 years before. I think there is risk there but probably worth a punt. He's unsigned for next year so could be a good bargain buy. But we do seem to be trying to rejuvenate the squad with the next gen, mainly through natural attrition so maybe we don't want to bring another older player in, we do have a few other older, experienced guys playing that mentor role.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sims is too old and too risky at this stage of his career. I also don’t think he’d move to Canberra for cheap.

Could be good, but could also be a Watmough style signing which would be bad for us.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I wonder if we missed a trick with Metcalf, he looked good in the limited time I saw of him. The younger halves seem more in tune with how the game is played now, have no qualms throwing a harbour bridge pass etc
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He could go either way. Green as hell but he's very quick. More a 6 than a 7. Probably 2 years from a real crack at a starting spot.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 9, 2021, 10:58 am I wonder if we missed a trick with Metcalf, he looked good in the limited time I saw of him. The younger halves seem more in tune with how the game is played now, have no qualms throwing a harbour bridge pass etc
The younger halves are more in tune with the game now because they are closer removed from Mod League....which is what the NRL is becoming.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Luke Brooks Tigers POTY. We missed a trick there he'll be up into million dollar territory off the back of such a well deserved honour.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:Luke Brooks Tigers POTY. We missed a trick there he'll be up into million dollar territory off the back of such a well deserved honour.
joint winner with some other nobody

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BJ wrote: October 9, 2021, 10:38 am Sims is too old and too risky at this stage of his career. I also don’t think he’d move to Canberra for cheap.

Could be good, but could also be a Watmough style signing which would be bad for us.
Only 31. Played SOO this yr
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: October 11, 2021, 5:07 pm
BJ wrote: October 9, 2021, 10:38 am Sims is too old and too risky at this stage of his career. I also don’t think he’d move to Canberra for cheap.

I'd take Sims over Adam Elliott myself.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Wiki Special wrote: October 11, 2021, 6:48 pm
Matt wrote: October 11, 2021, 5:07 pm

I'd take Sims over Adam Elliott myself.
Id take anyone on this forum before AElliott.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d take Alex McKinnon over Adam Elliot.

I’ll see myself out.......
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

BJ wrote:I’d take Alex McKinnon over Adam Elliot.

I’ll see myself out.......
We’d get a good roll on
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote:
julian87 wrote: October 8, 2021, 7:43 pm Fogarty at 7. Wighton at 13 and CHT at 6 with the Metcalf signing would be worth a crack imo.
That's the point. Frees up CHT to be released.

I'm a massive fan of the Fogarty/CHT/Wighton combo.

I think with both Savage and CNK in the backline that would make a pretty competitive lineup.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 12, 2021, 12:50 pm
Matt wrote:

I think with both Savage and CNK in the backline that would make a pretty competitive lineup.

I don't mind it but it's not something I'm going to get excited about because it's not going to happen. Wighton will be our 6 next year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote:

CHT isnt coming to play in reserves.
And I dont see Jack at anywhere but 6 under Ricky
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:
Matt wrote:

I'd have jack at 12 and Smelliott at 13 but it's not a thing.
Jack could still do his left side thing, kick chase, bomb target, smash wingers, run at halves, all the things we love about Jack.

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: October 12, 2021, 1:28 pm
Matt wrote:
Matt wrote:

Jack could still do his left side thing, kick chase, bomb target, smash wingers, run at halves, all the things we love about Jack.

Yep.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Actually I could see Wighton at 12. I like it much more than him at 13, I don't see him firing at lock at all
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I haven't seen much from CHT to say he'll improve our attack. Defense strikes me as being his major strength, a lot of pressure on Fogarty if they were to be a duo.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

12 months ago, you'd have been laughed out of the room for suggesting Wighton move from 5/8th
Whilst a lot in the game has changed in that time, im not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bath water

Jack Wighton has a pretty damn impressive track record of being a very effective and impactful running 5/8th... I'm going to need more than one bad year before i say the guy cant play in the halves.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote: October 12, 2021, 1:28 pm
Matt wrote:
Matt wrote:

I've long advocated for Wighton to take over from Whitehead at 12, but those attributes you've mentioned which would make him an excellent second rower would also lend themselves to the lock position - especially given how they regularly play as a second pivot.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote: October 12, 2021, 1:19 pm
Matt wrote:

Nobody is suggesting we sign CHT to play in reserves. This is about what would be best for the team moving forward, and whether Wighton's skillset is best used in the halves or forwards.

I've always seen him as a long-term backrower, ala Luke Lewis. Everything about his game lends itself to that role. Run hard, hit hard, play what's in front of you, make room for your outside men and don't overthink things.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:12 months ago, you'd have been laughed out of the room for suggesting Wighton move from 5/8th
Whilst a lot in the game has changed in that time, im not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bath water

Jack Wighton has a pretty damn impressive track record of being a very effective and impactful running 5/8th... I'm going to need more than one bad year before i say the guy cant play in the halves.
I'm unabashed Jack fan, my concern is how he was flat out nullified in 2021 and how we then re-establish him as a marquee player hopefully at 5/8.

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Just thought about having a beer with Polky but he was busy posting a signing speculation piece on the CT

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 12, 2021, 3:21 pm
Matt wrote: October 12, 2021, 1:19 pm
Matt wrote:

Nobody is suggesting we sign CHT to play in reserves. This is about what would be best for the team moving forward, and whether Wighton's skillset is best used in the halves or forwards.

I've always seen him as a long-term backrower, ala Luke Lewis. Everything about his game lends itself to that role. Run hard, hit hard, play what's in front of you, make room for your outside men and don't overthink things.
Yup. Can totally see that.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

bonehead wrote: October 12, 2021, 3:25 pm
Botman wrote:12 months ago, you'd have been laughed out of the room for suggesting Wighton move from 5/8th

I'm unabashed Jack fan, my concern is how he was flat out nullified in 2021 and how we then re-establish him as a marquee player hopefully at 5/8.

In my view, he was mainly nullified in 2021 because teams realised that our plan with Jack has always been to give him the ball and hope for the best. That works when you have other attacking threats across the park but when he's pretty much the only guy you're looking out for, it's easy to contain. Then consider the added pressure of being our go to half and it's easy to see why he was a lot less effective this season.

In 2019, we had the Leipana duo, Bateman, Cotric in the best form of his career, Croker playing decent attacking footy, a Hodgson who was being debated as the best hooker in the game and a Whitehead who was a lot more of an attacking weapon than he was this year. We lost Leilua the following year and Bateman was out for much of 2020, but we were pretty much relying on our defence and moments of brilliance from Jack to get us through games. Fast forward to 2021 - no more Bateman and Cotric, a decline in the ability of Croker, Hodgson and Whitehead, a disrupted start to the season leading to Williams leaving... coaches would have been thinking along very simple lines - "keep Jack contained and we should stop them", as all we do is run it up the middle anyway.

Trbojevic didn't have a stand out season this year solely because he is a freak as an individual - it's because his team also stepped up imo. He's been very good in previous years but it was the added bonus of their outside backs and backrowers seeing form, and also a halves combination that clicked, that helped him this year imo.

I think Jack can be a great backrower but I will back him to go better in the 6 jersey next year. I don't think he will ever reach Dally M heights again but we don't need him to do that to be an effective 6.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Exactly, and Wighton was simply out of form this year

If Fogarty can come and do his job, and we get better attacking play and structure out of our edges, it’ll free up Wighton, who’s form trend toward the mean, to be more effective

If we’re here 12 months from now talking about another disappointing Wighton season, fine
But I think it’s premature to write him off after only one sub par season in which the entire squad under achieved
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: October 12, 2021, 4:39 pm Exactly, and Wighton was simply out of form this year

If Fogarty can come and do his job, and we get better attacking play and structure out of our edges, it’ll free up Wighton, who’s form trend toward the mean, to be more effective

If we’re here 12 months from now talking about another disappointing Wighton season, fine
But I think it’s premature to write him off after only one sub par season in which the entire squad under achieved
Even though it was my original mention quoted I don't disagree with you.

Wighton had a bad year. But I also think most five-eighths would have had a bad year in his place given who spent the majority of minutes at 7, 1 and 13 I the Canberra team.

We were never a hope for a number of reasons but the amount of minutes played by Ryan Sutton at lock and the likes of Caleb Aekins at fullback could make a grown man cry. Stuart proved incapable of rolling with the punches so I'm glad changes are being made in the attacking coaching staff.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think Whitehead playing 80 mins at second row is a much bigger problem than Jack. He needs to play less minutes - I don't care if that comes in the form of moving to 13 or simply doing shorter stints at 12, but we need to sort that out before moving Jack.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, Whitehead is no longer an 80 minute player.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 12, 2021, 5:01 pm I think Whitehead playing 80 mins at second row is a much bigger problem than Jack. He needs to play less minutes - I don't care if that comes in the form of moving to 13 or simply doing shorter stints at 12, but we need to sort that out before moving Jack.
His 2021 stats are not great when you look at hit ups and metres per minute.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: October 12, 2021, 5:24 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: October 12, 2021, 5:01 pm I think Whitehead playing 80 mins at second row is a much bigger problem than Jack. He needs to play less minutes - I don't care if that comes in the form of moving to 13 or simply doing shorter stints at 12, but we need to sort that out before moving Jack.
His 2021 stats are not great when you look at hit ups and metres per minute.
Or defence stats. And the eye test on defence is at least at bad, if not worse. A bit of a stinker.