Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:16 pm
Bigcheese wrote: November 25, 2021, 5:51 pm
Matt wrote: November 25, 2021, 2:47 pm
Sthsea22 wrote: November 25, 2021, 10:59 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 25, 2021, 10:50 am

hahahha - bottom 4. I even think we will go better than the Cows.
Ok you win the debate LOL :roflmao
Thats not how the Cows will lineup next yr.
Talk is Dearden will keep Drinky out (CRAZY IMO)
Hess is a middle now. Look for 1 of Luki or Nanai to play edge.
Lolo will play prop with Cotter at 13. I can see McLean not in the 17.

With less injuries this yr, they will push for fringe 8. Could easily finish bottom 4 though.
Yep they’ll either make the 8 and if not will be in the bottom 8.
Im suggesting 8 or lower, but cool
So top 8, if not, bottom 8. Sounds like an each-way bet
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:19 pm
julian87 wrote: November 25, 2021, 7:24 pm
Finchy wrote: November 25, 2021, 3:34 pm Dearden will keep Drinky out, because Drinky sucks. Watch his games, he's next-level bad
He's a good player. He's a level above both other halves.
I’ve seen him play. He really isn’t
Im in the middle of this one
he's clearly a very naturally gifted footballer, there are moments which make you sit back and say "wow" but there is a lot of holes in his game too. Reminds me a little of Milton Thiaday in that way, he'll fill a highlight reel with wow plays but game to game i dont know that he's a guy who helps you get where you want to go
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:27 pm
Finchy wrote: November 25, 2021, 3:34 pm Dearden will keep Drinky out, because Drinky sucks. Watch his games, he's next-level bad
he's clearly a very naturally gifted footballer, there are moments which make you sit back and say "wow" but there is a lot of holes in his game too. Reminds me a little of Milton Thiaday in that way, he'll fill a highlight reel with wow plays but game to game i dont know that he's a guy who helps you get where you want to go
I think that is a fair assessment. I personally like what he is capable of offering. And also think that if I was a Cowboys fan I'd be very annoyed if either or both of Townsend and Dearden were selected ahead of him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:22 am
Botman wrote: November 25, 2021, 8:27 pm
I think that is a fair assessment. I personally like what he is capable of offering. And also think that if I was a Cowboys fan I'd be very annoyed if either or both of Townsend and Dearden were selected ahead of him.
Absolutely agree. If im a cowboys fan and Chaddy Townsend is picked ahead of him, im headless... Drinkwater might not ever develop into a star or even a dependable game to game NRL footballer, but you have to let the development process play itself out... when you are a team that is still building your football team towards competing and cant have realistic hopes of major success this year you certainly dont need some a D- player like Chad being a progress stopper for a player who has A+ natural talent
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

What about Reece Robson as a backup to starling for 2023 ? If hodgo stays for all of 2022..
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Neeeegz wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:26 pm What about Reece Robson as a backup to starling for 2023 ? If hodgo stays for all of 2022..
Robson is quite a good hooker, I'm not sure he'd leave a club where he is first choice hooker to be a backup.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Wiki Special wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:30 pm
Neeeegz wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:26 pm What about Reece Robson as a backup to starling for 2023 ? If hodgo stays for all of 2022..
Robson is quite a good hooker, I'm not sure he'd leave a club where he is first choice hooker to be a backup.
True, sure I read that the cows were looking to release him somewhere, even if starling still plays 14
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Neeeegz wrote: November 27, 2021, 9:31 am
True, sure I read that the cows were looking to release him somewhere, even if starling still plays 14
I'd start Robbo over Starling.
And no reason both couldn't co exist in the same 17. Robbo is solid at 13.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: November 27, 2021, 5:17 pm
Yeah, I think Robson is good enough to start also.

I'm in the camp with those who think our lack of cap space is not entirely accurate but if we did need to move some parts to get Cotric would others be interested in a scenario whereby Leilua leaves the Tigers to go to tbe Cowboys immediately and we reignite the talks to get Hodgson to the Tigers and take Robson from the Cowboys? Bailey goes to Parra in this scenario too. So we basically lose Hodgson and Bailey and gain Robson and Cotric.

I think I would say yes to all that.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: November 28, 2021, 3:06 pm
Matt wrote: November 27, 2021, 5:17 pm
Yeah, I think Robson is good enough to start also.

I'm in the camp with those who think our lack of cap space is not entirely accurate but if we did need to move some parts to get Cotric would others be interested in a scenario whereby Leilua leaves the Tigers to go to tbe Cowboys immediately and we reignite the talks to get Hodgson to the Tigers and take Robson from the Cowboys? Bailey goes to Parra in this scenario too. So we basically lose Hodgson and Bailey and gain Robson and Cotric.

I think I would say yes to all that.
I could live with that, but not sure Id love it.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

In what world are the Cowboys releasing Robson. He is contracted until the end of 2023 and releasing him would leave them with Cotter and Granville.

Cotter has transitioned to a Brandon Smith style Lock/hooker ( and in my opinion is ver suited to this role) and Granville was passed it 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

RTW wrote: November 28, 2021, 8:21 pm In what world are the Cowboys releasing Robson. He is contracted until the end of 2023 and releasing him would leave them with Cotter and Granville.

Cotter has transitioned to a Brandon Smith style Lock/hooker ( and in my opinion is ver suited to this role) and Granville was passed it 3 years ago.

There was an article on Fox Sports to the effect that the Cowboys want Leilua straight away rather than 2023 and had offered Robson up to sweeten the deal. Tigers rejected it apparently.

*edit*
Found this on Zero Tackle.

https://www.zerotackle.com/tigers-turn- ... no-112238/
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Wow, although I shouldn’t be surprised this is coming from a club who thought signing Townsend to a 3 year deal was a good idea

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Joey Manu re-signs with roosters. I still think he's better than an outside back

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Sid wrote: November 29, 2021, 9:43 am Joey Manu re-signs with roosters. I still think he's better than an outside back

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Seriously I’m over RL. The competition is so rigged with the ‘salary cap’ it is not funny
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Add to this the strong chance this is where Smith ends up.

**** time to be a fan.

Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Rick wrote: November 29, 2021, 10:06 am Add to this the strong chance this is where Smith ends up.

**** time to be a fan.

I’m just not going to watch it. Like seriously coupled with this whole crap of players signing over a year out and just the overall lack of transparency about anything - the salary cap is totally an ineffective and unworkable situation and the NRL don’t seem to want to police it anyway - they have completely lost me. I can better spend my time reading, listening to music and hanging out with friends
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Colk wrote: November 29, 2021, 10:12 am
Rick wrote: November 29, 2021, 10:06 am Add to this the strong chance this is where Smith ends up.

**** time to be a fan.

I’m just not going to watch it. Like seriously coupled with this whole crap of players signing over a year out and just the overall lack of transparency about anything - the salary cap is totally an ineffective and unworkable situation and the NRL don’t seem to want to police it anyway - they have completely lost me. I can better spend my time reading, listening to music and hanging out with friends
So true. I don't have any friends but if I did I would totally hang out with them.
How did you make your friends?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

1992 wrote: December 3, 2021, 3:35 pm
Colk wrote: November 29, 2021, 10:12 am

**** time to be a fan.

So true. I don't have any friends but if I did I would totally hang out with them.
How did you make your friends?
Haha drinking helps. Even if you don’t have any friends, you’d be better to spend your time watching Netflix, reading, listening to music etc. No point in getting upset (as I have been in the past) watching a rigged competition. I’ll watch our games (probably) but without any enthusiasm and I’m at a stage where I am not going to watch any other game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

See you in the game day thread round 1, Colky ;)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I know it is against popular opinion but Roosters did have a **** load of players retire last year. It gets to the point where if you can't beat them then join them and Ricky does have his own golf day so maybe he has learned a thing or two.

Every club does it.

Some fans choose to ignore it. Every club has 2, 3 or 4 players earning about a million a year and if you stop and do some sums you quickly realise that when you take that 3 million out for 3 players you have 7 left for 27 and the figures really don't add up.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

gergreg wrote: December 3, 2021, 6:11 pm I know it is against popular opinion but Roosters did have a **** load of players retire last year. It gets to the point where if you can't beat them then join them and Ricky does have his own golf day so maybe he has learned a thing or two.

Every club does it.

Some fans choose to ignore it. Every club has 2, 3 or 4 players earning about a million a year and if you stop and do some sums you quickly realise that when you take that 3 million out for 3 players you have 7 left for 27 and the figures really don't add up.
The problem with that argument is that you have had two clubs continually be in the top 4 for the past 20 odd years. Haven’t either one of those two clubs essentially been in about 70% of grand finals in that time. I can’t think of any team sport/competition anywhere in the world outside of European soccer where that has happened.

Anyway the point is that when sport becomes predictable to this extent it is not a good thing - you need ebb and flow. You need teams from the bottom to eventually have success and you needs that are dominating to go through rebuilding phases. Otherwise what is the point?
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Brandon Smith swap deal rejected by Tigers as door opens for early Storm exit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1e0be10df4

Should swap Guler, Horse even Sutton for a year in return for B Smith if they wanted Stefano from tigers
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

To what end? What are we doing or where are going with a single year of Brandom Smith?
And you want to guve up someone who could be a piece for the team going forward for a rental for a player who doesnt take us close to competing?

BIG Yikes.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: December 3, 2021, 8:15 pm Brandon Smith swap deal rejected by Tigers as door opens for early Storm exit: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1e0be10df4

Should swap Guler, Horse even Sutton for a year in return for B Smith if they wanted Stefano from tigers
Come on, the Storm are smart. They know Madge and Pascoe are gullible, not so sure about Sheens. Tigers have given them Papenhuyzen and Marika Koroibete in the past, not on swap deals but as players they didn't want. Stefano is on the up and made it on the extended squad for NSW SOO 3. Guler and Horse are not.

Smith doesn't want to come here, and Bellamy doesn't want any of our players except Savage, Jack Wighton, Papa, Tapine, maybe CHN. He wants to offload has beens / players past it to us like Sisa Waqa , Brett White and Curtis Scott

I'd only give him Semi, Sammy Williams or Frawley in exchange as payback for Curtis
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Saw Nelson Solomona from the storm in parramatta today. Love to pick that guy up if hes available.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

deanoman wrote: December 8, 2021, 6:22 pm Saw Nelson Solomona from the storm in parramatta today. Love to pick that guy up if hes available.
Probably no point if he isn't vaxxed
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

deanoman wrote:Saw Nelson Solomona from the storm in parramatta today. Love to pick that guy up if hes available.
Hmmm. There's been speculation that Jnr Paulo wants to leave if NAS goes there you'd think Jnr Paulo is leaving. Interesting.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Wish we could afford Paulo...He will probably go for the big money on offer with the Dolphins
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Paulo is overrated in my opinion. No way I'd pay him 700k which is what he is currently on at the eels. Expected to get more on the open market which I think is bonkers
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Paulo fascination with some is strange to me
He's a good player, and you'd certainly be happy to have him, but he doesnt really move the needle imo
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I agree, I just found it interesting that's all. I think he has the potential to be the number 1 prop in the game, but to be that guy he needs consistency. And he's never looked like he wants to be the best.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

All the "stubborn" weight he suddenly dropped after leaving us doesn't fill me with confidence that he would give us his best.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

I thought he was really good last year...His second phase play was really causing havoc. I think his game really suits the new era of rugby league
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: December 9, 2021, 7:19 pm The Paulo fascination with some is strange to me
He's a good player, and you'd certainly be happy to have him, but he doesnt really move the needle imo
Yup agree with this. I don't see why he's so highly regarded, definitely valuable in Origin or Finals type footy but for the 24 rounds in between much less so IMO. Given we'll likely be in a dogfight to make the 8 I don't see him being a great fit.