11. CHN
12. Young
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Whitehead
16. Horsburgh
17. Guler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Coastalraider »

I am seriously concerned about our lack of external squad turnover as it stands.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: September 5, 2021, 6:54 am I am seriously concerned about our lack of external squad turnover as it stands.
It's like he learnt nothing from sitting on his hands in 2016 and then again recently and watching the squad go stale and get leapfrogged while we try and tread water.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think we do need to pick up an outside back but not sure Allan is the best target. If people are looking for speed, he's not our guy. He does provide competition for spots though and you could argue for him getting a spot above several currently in our back five. I think he has the potential to be a better fullback than Charnze but I want to see Savage get a shot there.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 5, 2021, 11:09 am I think we do need to pick up an outside back but not sure Allan is the best target. If people are looking for speed, he's not our guy. He does provide competition for spots though and you could argue for him getting a spot above several currently in our back five. I think he has the potential to be a better fullback than Charnze but I want to see Savage get a shot there.
Yeah, for mine outside back is not a priority. At this time we have CNK, Rapana, Croker, Timoko, HSS, Savage, Simonsson, Valemei, Anderson battling it out for 5 spots.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Wiki Special wrote: September 5, 2021, 12:04 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 5, 2021, 11:09 am I think we do need to pick up an outside back but not sure Allan is the best target. If people are looking for speed, he's not our guy. He does provide competition for spots though and you could argue for him getting a spot above several currently in our back five. I think he has the potential to be a better fullback than Charnze but I want to see Savage get a shot there.
Yeah, for mine outside back is not a priority. At this time we have CNK, Rapana, Croker, Timoko, HSS, Savage, Simonsson, Valemei, Anderson battling it out for 5 spots.
Croker is bound to drop out of that list. Timoko and Smith-Shields are practically first year rookies, and Savage and Anderson have seem **** all time in first grade. Valemei is a back up option at best at this stage. We can definitely add an outside back. Whether Allan is the right fit is up for debate.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 5, 2021, 12:08 pm
Croker is bound to drop out of that list. Timoko and Smith-Shields are practically first year rookies, and Savage and Anderson have seem **** all time in first grade. Valemei is a back up option at best at this stage. We can definitely add an outside back. Whether Allan is the right fit is up for debate.
Agree about Croker but still not sure we need Allan.

1. CNK
2. Xavage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa

Then:

Kris (missing from the list above)
Bailey
Semi
Elijah

That is a strong and exciting first unit with solid replacements.

I like Allan but don’t want him displacing any of the first five and I don’t think he’ll want to move to play Ressies.

The bigger concern (aside from halfback, of course) is the pack.

Our first group is strong:

Papa
Tapine
CHN
Young
Elliott
Sutton

But then we fall of a cliff:

Horse - I really like him but he’s yet to cash in on his potential and prove he can stay fit (in both senses of the word).

Guler - I can handle him in the 18-21 but he shouldn’t be in the 17 if we’re serious.

Then who?

Sia, James, Dunamis and Havili all gone or soon to be. So it’s Rushton and other newbies.

That is a concern.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Yeah, agree regarding Croker. Forgot to add Kris though so still think we are fine without Allan.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 5, 2021, 2:03 pm

1. CNK
2. Xavage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa

Then:

Bailey
Semi
Elijah

I like Allan but don’t want him displacing any of the first five and I don’t think he’ll want to move to play Ressies.

Papa
Tapine
CHN
Young
Elliott
Sutton

Horse - I really like him but he’s yet to cash in on his potential and prove he can stay fit (in both senses of the word).

Guler - I can handle him in the 18-21 but he shouldn’t be in the 17 if we’re serious.

Then who?

Sia, James, Dunamis and Havili all gone or soon to be. So it’s Rushton and other newbies.

That is a concern.
Agree with this regarding backs and forwards. Especially about Hors and Guler. Young also needs to find consistency but he can go far if he does. We really need Rushton, Mooney and Esera to prove up to it now.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I just read a comment on The Roar saying we had signed an Australian Schoolboys centre from the Dragons. Anyone know anything about this?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:
Coastalraider wrote: September 5, 2021, 6:54 am I am seriously concerned about our lack of external squad turnover as it stands.
It's like he learnt nothing from sitting on his hands in 2016 and then again recently and watching the squad go stale and get leapfrogged while we try and tread water.
The players have to be available and better than what we have

There's no point signing players for the sake of signing

That's a Raiders 07-14 move

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 5, 2021, 11:50 pm I just read a comment on The Roar saying we had signed an Australian Schoolboys centre from the Dragons. Anyone know anything about this?
Raiders sign Brandon Morkos: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1830130
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: September 6, 2021, 12:15 am
Lui_Bon wrote: September 5, 2021, 11:50 pm I just read a comment on The Roar saying we had signed an Australian Schoolboys centre from the Dragons. Anyone know anything about this?
Raiders sign Brandon Morkos: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1830130
Cool thankyou. I should read more widely!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: September 6, 2021, 12:03 am
BadnMean wrote:
The players have to be available and better than what we have

There's no point signing players for the sake of signing

That's a Raiders 07-14 move

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
There's a list of players as long as your arm better than what we have, who have been signed this year.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

There’s no rush. Most of the good signings happen post season whether for next year or 2023.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Wiki Special wrote: September 5, 2021, 2:33 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: September 5, 2021, 2:03 pm

1. CNK
2. Xavage
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa

Then:

Bailey
Semi
Elijah

Papa
Tapine
CHN
Young
Elliott
Sutton

Then who?

That is a concern.
Agree with this regarding backs and forwards. Especially about Hors and Guler. Young also needs to find consistency but he can go far if he does. We really need Rushton, Mooney and Esera to prove up to it now.
Anyone who thinks our pack is strong should have a look at where we finished this season???
Whitehead was a plodder and if we think Horse was unfit, so too were Elliott and a few others…
Apart from Tapine and Papa(needs to own it that he is a premier front rower), we had some ok players in Hudson and Sutton, the rest will need to improve for next year….I said all season long we were old and slow and where we finished reflected that.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

It's a little bit mystifying why Stuart never gives Whitehead a rest- he started last season gangbusters but limped home with a wet sail. This year he was ok early but then his linebreaks and tryassists and defence fell off a cliff in the final third of the season.

All the middles got regular freshen ups. It's not like Whitehead makes many less runs than them (about 1 less per half) and he makes more tackles. If he is going to remain an edge that might have to be looked at.

I think if we let Sia, Lui and James go and bring in a decent recruit + 2 young forwards to push Hors and Guler our pack should be right to go again. Young found his way back to form- I think he has good potential.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Tapine, Papalii and Starling should be the only certainties in our forward pack for 2022..
The rest were downright dreadful and our position on the ladder confirmed it.
If there isn't a major reshuffle or injection of new talent for 2022 we'll be here again next season...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bullemor released by Broncos to sign a three year deal with Manly. A Sporting News article claims that according to News Corp, it's to make room for Ryan James: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... pfli66wxfd
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 8, 2021, 2:12 pm Bullemor released by Broncos to sign a three year deal with Manly. A Sporting News article claims that according to News Corp, it's to make room for Ryan James: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... pfli66wxfd
Ahhh we should have got Bullemor.... he is a weapon in the making
Member #6381
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raider_Boy wrote: September 8, 2021, 3:28 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 8, 2021, 2:12 pm Bullemor released by Broncos to sign a three year deal with Manly. A Sporting News article claims that according to News Corp, it's to make room for Ryan James: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... pfli66wxfd
I mentioned his name as a good potential target about four or five times throughout this season. Another missed opportunity there... although we missed out on him previously so maybe it was a signing too far out of our reach at a reasonable price. Apparently only Manly and the Dragons had offers on the table though. Whatever the case, it's frustrating to see every single club in the league pick up talent while we sit on our hands... hope it's because we have better options up our sleeves but it's hard to be optimistic.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Manly will be tough next year…
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 8, 2021, 3:32 pm
I mentioned his name as a good potential target about four or five times throughout this season. Another missed opportunity there... although we missed out on him previously so maybe it was a signing too far out of our reach at a reasonable price. Apparently only Manly and the Dragons had offers on the table though. Whatever the case, it's frustrating to see every single club in the league pick up talent while we sit on our hands... hope it's because we have better options up our sleeves but it's hard to be optimistic.
Warriors made a play too.
We nearly got him last yr, but grabbed CHN instead.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Telegraph linking us with Kikau, one can dream. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subsc ... de=premium
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 8, 2021, 5:26 pm
Ok, Channel 7 was saying it was a two horse race between Dragons and Manly in the end. Whatever the case, we should have been in the mix imo.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on September 8, 2021, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:43 pm
Ok, the Channel 7 was saying it was a two horse race between Dragons and Manly in the end. Whatever the case, we should have been in the mix imo.
100% I think he will be good
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

UncleDrew wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:35 pm Telegraph linking us with Kikau, one can dream. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subsc ... de=premium
I hope this is true... I mentioned it recently but if I were coach, I'd be making a big play for a second rower in the class of Kikau, Crichton or Papali'i. That's the type of move that would put us back in the picture provided we can get a halfback in that will do a job for us. We could easily pull this off if Hodgson was released early.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:46 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:43 pm

Ok, the Channel 7 was saying it was a two horse race between Dragons and Manly in the end. Whatever the case, we should have been in the mix imo.
100% I think he will be good
He was one of the only Broncos that aimed up when he got a chance to play... I didn't watch a lot of their games all the way through but every time I saw him, he played well. I thought it was odd that he was left out of a number of games this season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

UncleDrew wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:35 pm Telegraph linking us with Kikau, one can dream. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subsc ... de=premium
Did they suggest that there was any basis for linking the Raiders to Kikau, or was it a cast of his manager listing clubs with salary cap space?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

This thread should really get the anti-climax of the year award
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We're going to be linked with a lot of people.
Everyone knows we have G.Williams and C.Scott salaries right now which can be allocated. Managers dream
If Hodgson bids farewell, it'll only ramp up

We need to understand what this is, and react accordingly. We have money, we will be used to drive up prices.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:We're going to be linked with a lot of people.
Everyone knows we have G.Williams and C.Scott salaries right now which can be allocated. Managers dream
If Hodgson bids farewell, it'll only ramp up

We need to understand what this is, and react accordingly. We have money, we will be used to drive up prices.
I'm ok with us ensuring other clubs pay full freight

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Looking forward to the "Kikau wouldn't be interested in signing for Raiders" posts, based on absolutely nothing.
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I feel like Kikau is a bit of a pea heart, injects himself only at certain times, although it could be that he's just a power athlete/ impact player and that explains it

I'm not sure he's a Ricky Stuart type player in any case, given how he responds when Tapine misses 150m for one game (ie gets the **** and drops him)
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 9, 2021, 11:38 am I feel like Kikau is a bit of a pea heart, injects himself only at certain times, although it could be that he's just a power athlete/ impact player and that explains it

I'm not sure he's a Ricky Stuart type player in any case, given how he responds when Tapine misses 150m for one game (ie gets the **** and drops him)
You wouldn't need to play Kikau for more than 60 mins a game. Whitehead can take the other 20 min by splitting time between lock and second row.