Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

BadnMean wrote: October 30, 2021, 8:01 am I haven't heard anyone saying Whitehead didn't have a bad year.

It's just the matter of whether it's terminal or not. Unlike Croker and Hodgo, Whitehead was outstanding for most of 2020. So I have a bit of hope. I wrote Rapa off too early.
Whitehead was on the decline even in 2020. His defence was poor in the Newcastle and Manly games in 2020.

I am worried about our side - we have money invested in ageing players who are past it (Whitehead, Croker), we don't seem to be in it for one of the marquee players coming off contract in 2022, while other clubs have plenty of cash to spend, including West Tigers and Warriors. Also after a terrible year on the field, it's only been less than 2 months and there's been Rapa caught drink driving, Starling charged for intimidation.

And then we sign Elliott whose best game was 3 years ago. Nth Qld shows you what not to do with rosters - buying bad players like Chad Townsend and Tom Dearden (the first at $800,000 is a joke), not having an established spine, paying way over for players not in their best position (Valentine Holmes), and not enough good younger players coming through.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: October 29, 2021, 4:39 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Kikau is the biggest grub in the comp. The amount of cheap shots he gets away with is ridiculous.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
I think McGuire is the biggest grub. I don't see Kikau as a grub. I think he's just big and clumsy. McGuire is very deliberate with his grubby tactics. JWH is certainly up there too.
Yeah, big, clumsy and seems to miraculously finds himself regularly in situations where players get seriously injured.

Clumsy is not an excuse. He's not clumsy. He's a professional athlete who is pretty **** loose when an opportunity presents itself to hit someone high, or late.

A quick check of the 2021 stat's for penalties conceded show him in the top ten, right alongside Hodgson. But he did play twice as many games though. He's in pretty good company with Hetherington, JWH, Lodge and Kaufisi to name a few. McGuire not on the list though, probably suspended for half the year.
Doesn't surprise me. I used to quite like watching Kikau. At his best he's clearly one of the most damaging edge runners in the game. However as time goes on I've seen more and more cheap stuff come into his game. Seems to fit right in with the culture at Penrith at the moment. It's a combination of things... loose shoulders, coathangers, lifting tackles, late shots. He like to come in hard on players already dropping in the tackle. There's definitely no coincidence with his penalty count.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
RTW wrote: October 30, 2021, 7:36 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:
BadnMean wrote: October 29, 2021, 5:46 pm
Matt wrote: October 29, 2021, 5:21 pm Papali'i has rejected a 2yr deal of 450k from Eels.
Let's give him a 2yr 600-700K deal.
CHN on the right and iPapa on the left, and we should score pts
Honestly they lowballed him if that's their best offer. I'd absolutely go 600k/700k for little Papali'i.

Unfortunately we just got ourselves a great deal on Adam Elliot (better duck or you'll hit his ceiling), so we won't be looking.
We also spent money on extending Whitehead for 3 years who is past his best. Papali'i is much better than him.
Similar to Rapana it is impossible to judge his contract extension without having a $figure attached to it.

His defence on the edge was terrible this year, if he plays second row this year expect plenty of points down his side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he resigned for $400,000 to $450,000 (which seems low), that's a waste of $400,000 to $450,000 and I would have used that allocation and Elliott's to sign Papali'i. It wasn't just Whitehead's defence that was bad this year but his attack as well. Have a look at his 2021 stats - they are even worse than Adam Elliott's.
It does seem low especially if he was re-signed as Captain and starting second rower. Which can only mean we payed considerably more for him, and in my opinion made a mistake.

However if he was told that we are transitioning you into a middle forward who by the end of your contract will play a similar roll to Sia then we may have paid him accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

That would be my firm expectation.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 30, 2021, 11:50 am That would be my firm expectation.

The former or the latter suggestion?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

"The Tigers themselves are in the middle of negotiations with Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. Hodgson is on a deal worth $900,000 for next year, however a six per cent reduction in the salary cap due to the impact of COVID-19 means he is owed around $850,000 in 2022.

The Wests Tigers have indicated they are willing to pay $500,000 of his salary, plus another year on top. The Raiders, however, will only chip in $100,000 for next year leaving the two parties $250,000 apart."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wests- ... 594ed.html

Hodgson has not been worth $900,000 for the last few years. We didn't make the finals in 2017 and 2018, he had a good year in 2019, and hardly played in 2020.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 30, 2021, 1:27 pm "The Tigers themselves are in the middle of negotiations with Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson. Hodgson is on a deal worth $900,000 for next year, however a six per cent reduction in the salary cap due to the impact of COVID-19 means he is owed around $850,000 in 2022.

The Wests Tigers have indicated they are willing to pay $500,000 of his salary, plus another year on top. The Raiders, however, will only chip in $100,000 for next year leaving the two parties $250,000 apart."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wests- ... 594ed.html

Hodgson has not been worth $900,000 for the last few years. We didn't make the finals in 2017 and 2018, he had a good year in 2019, and hardly played in 2020.
We resigned/extended Hodgo at end 2017. At that stage he was still an extremely good hooker, arguably one of the best 10 players in the game and as you say went on to heights in 2019 that had him running neck and neck with Cam Smith as the best in the business. He had the 2nd knee reco in mid 2020.

So Hodgo's contract extension at the time was (imo) probably the right play- we wouldn't have scored a better hooker for less that's for sure. Subsequently Vlandysball has made Hodgo slightly less effective, which is further compounded by his knee injury. Those are the breaks. I'm scathing of Croker's extension and on the fence about Whiteheads but at the time, Hodgo was our clear trump card, playing as well as anyone and holding our Pommie court together.

I actually don't see keeping Hodgo for his best years and now maybe (if unresolved) having one year of him being overpaid as that bad a gig. No Hodgo= no Raiders resurgence. I don't remember anyone questioning the deal at the time- more being glad he hadn't been pinched.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Rick »

If the other option is to pay $350,000 of our salary cap to not have him here next year then clearly option A is looking the most attractive.

Especially when on top of that $350,000 we would have to put our hand in our pocket and buy a decent back up 9.

Suck it up for a year and start fresh in 2023.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are you doing the math on this right?

You can have:

A. Starling + Hodgson who likely doesn’t want to be here next year.

OR

B. Starling + 350k to tigers + 500k to buy replacement hooker (worst case negotiation).

B is the way this is going.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: October 30, 2021, 11:50 am That would be my firm expectation.

The former or the latter suggestion?
That Whitehead is on reduced dollars and has been advised his role may change over the next year or so.

If not, the club is nuts.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every NRL player able to negotiate for 2023 from today

Canberra Raiders

The Raiders have just eight players who aren't contracted for the 2023 season. The most important of those could prove to be Jack Wighton though, who has a player option in his favour. Ryan Sutton has been strong and will be a priority, while Corey Harawira-Naera could be in the same boat. Full off-contract list

Adam Elliott
Matt Frawley
Corey Harawira-Naera
Josh Hodgson
Corey Horsburgh
Tom Starling
Ryan Sutton
Jack Wighton (player option)

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/every-nrl-pl ... rl-111469/

They’ve left out Sam Williams. Starling is contracted to end 2023 at least.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Scott Pryde from Zerotackle is having a laugh if he thinks Wighton is the most important of these. There's no way Wighton will attract more dollars on the open market than what he would make if he activates his player option. It would be a win for the club if he didn't - a chance to sign him for less money.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The verdict on every NRL club’s off-contract stars as Nov 1 feeding frenzy kicks off

RAIDERS

Off-contract 2022: Matt Frawley, Corey Harawira-Naera, Josh Hodgson, Corey Horsburgh, Tom Starling, Ryan Sutton, Adam Elliott

Analysis: Josh Hodgson has been linked to an immediate move to the Wests Tigers and the deal would have been signed, sealed and delivered if it wasn’t for new football boss Tim Sheens wanting to have a thorough look over the club’s roster first. Then there’s also another hurdle to overcome as the Raiders will now reportedly only release Hodgson if they get Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle in return. Hodgson won’t be at the Raiders in 2023 given the club has informed the Englishman that he isn’t in their plans beyond his current contract. Tom Starling was in negotiations with the club earlier this month, however his off-field incident may have delayed a deal getting done.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2724fd62cf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Titans, Dolphins, Cowboys and one unnamed club offer Brandon Smith a deal on November 1: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 98c02a43d9

I'd like to think we're the other club, but it is probably the Bulldogs by the looks. And the Roosters are the "one they're after" that they haven't heard from.

Moreover, they're not expecting to hear from any other club now...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Does Liddle actually want to come to the Raiders?

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I'd be disappointed if we aren't trying to sign one of Luciano...Matterson or I Papalii for 2023
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Half a dozen clubs are chasing the next big thing out of New Zealand - an explosive running halfback called Xavier Tito-Harris: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-p ... c7d0b4e81b

Interesting one.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders666 wrote: November 3, 2021, 12:00 pm I'd be disappointed if we aren't trying to sign one of Luciano...Matterson or I Papalii for 2023
Agreed.
In order, iPapa, LL, Matto
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 12:18 pm Half a dozen clubs are chasing the next big thing out of New Zealand - an explosive running halfback called Xavier Tito-Harris: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-p ... c7d0b4e81b

Interesting one.
Get it done Donny!
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Tyrone May now available.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who cares

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

sprintman wrote: November 3, 2021, 3:55 pm Tyrone May now available.
If we were to sign Tyrone May - and fortunately I don’t think anyone at the club would ever consider it - it would probably be enough to get me to stop following them.

Absolute human garbage.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Timbo wrote:
sprintman wrote: November 3, 2021, 3:55 pm Tyrone May now available.
If we were to sign Tyrone May - and fortunately I don’t think anyone at the club would ever consider it - it would probably be enough to get me to stop following them.

Absolute human garbage.
You and everyone else

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Meanwhile…

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: November 3, 2021, 9:02 pm Meanwhile…

Who is the media manager at the Panthers?

Surely one of their jobs is training players on what is and is not appropriate for their social media feed.

If they somehow skipped over ‘publicly supporting a convicted sex offender who has been fired for bringing the club into disrepute’ then I reckon they should probably sack them and try and find someone else.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

clearly they are as thick as a posts but 2019 they showed how tight they were with May, they're footballers and this is what they do they back each other no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: November 4, 2021, 4:17 am clearly they are as thick as a posts but 2019 they showed how tight they were with May, they're footballers and this is what they do they back each other no matter what.

Seems to be the vast majority of footy players unfortunately
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Leave May for St George - they already have De Belin and were thinking about signing Hayne before his conviction. Good trifecta there.

May has played well against us - I recall the game last year at Penrith Park where his pass led to Naden scoring in the corner and another game at GIO where he scored from dummy half in 2017 or 2018 when we needed to win to be in contention for the finals. But he was a flop in the GF this year (dropped balls) and last year with a poor read / defence on Papenhuyzen.

Garbage of a human being though and has shown no remorse for the hurt he caused to the female that he filmed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Penrith Panthers have picked up a handy buy in young half Sean O’Sullivan to cover for Nathan Cleary during Origin. It was a surprise because most thought he was a done deal at Canberra under Ricky Stuart.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b43b7a7c40
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dammit

Edrick The Entertainer
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

bonehead wrote: November 6, 2021, 9:19 pm dammit

Don't get too disappointed. I reckon he'll be on his way to the dolphins in 23 to reunite with his old man
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

I wonder who the players are who are refusing the vaccinations: I would imagine that it would be Paps and Tapine. It will be a problem if you can’t train and play without being vaccinated
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Colk wrote:I wonder who the players are who are refusing the vaccinations: I would imagine that it would be Paps and Tapine. It will be a problem if you can’t train and play without being vaccinated
how about that supercars driver eh? Image

Edrick The Entertainer
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

That’s gone right over my head Bonehead
bonehead
Laurie Daley