Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by dubby »

Brookes is the best option out there, which is not ideal.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

We can't go into next year without adding a first grade half to the squad. Brooks is better than what we have. We might even be able to get part of his salary taken care of for a couple of years as he's with the tigpies till 2023.
It wouldn't be a brilliant signing. Might not even be a great signing. Looking at the other options there's a real lot of baggage with some of those first grade halves.
Pearce can't seem to get on the field. Norman is a cancer. Ash Taylor has been in some good form but can really go off the rails if things aren't clicking off the field and a move for his young family to canberra and a step up into the 7 role could trigger that.
Chanel Harris-Tavita would have been who I was leaning towards but he's always injured these days too and may not be ready to play a senior role.

At this stage I'd be looking at Brooks on a 2 year deal + option in our favour with Tigpies chipping in 250k / year in the first 2. I'd be happy to have another option.
Last edited by zim on July 19, 2021, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Brooks just lacks the ability to take over a game when required
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

radicalraider wrote: July 19, 2021, 12:06 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 11:56 am Brooks and Williams are nowhere near the same player. At all. There's at least half a dozen major differences right off the top of my head.

Basically like saying all halfbacks are 'stylistically' similar.... because they're players who kick and pass a ball.
In the long term though will those differences of Brookes to williams make us more of a premiership threat
Yes.

Brooks plays at speed and engages the line. Far better distributor than Williams, will bring out a better Wighton and make him play at his speed. He's the type of player that can capitalise on the roll-ons that we get (but often fail to capitalise on). It's something he doesn't get to experience very often at the Tigers playing behind a creampuff pack.

His kicking game is also far better than anything we offer.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

If we can get Tigers to take C.scott and we get Brookes and they are paying some salary for 2 years and we are paying nothing for Curtis , then id say thats a stronger team for next year for us, may not be the best ever signing but better than now
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brooks is reportedly on $850k at Tigers. You would want them paying a fair bit of freight for him be considered.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

I'm all for Brooks if we get him for 500k or less and the Tigers chip in the rest.

I think he's a mid level half, seems like a cleanskin and is still improving.

Certainly an upgrade on what we have and if someone else better becomes available over the next few years and Brooks isn't performing, we go for them.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'd rather we took a punt on a player like Cory paix then to sign a known plodder like Brooks. While he is first grade standard at the tigers he'd struggle to maintain that position anywhere else. He is destined for the uk imo.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Northern Raider wrote: July 19, 2021, 12:41 pm Brooks is reportedly on $850k at Tigers. You would want them paying a fair bit of freight for him be considered.
Christ almighty and he has 150+ games to his name and never been to the finals. In real terms the guy is flat out worth around 300k.
People who want this guy at our club are in fantasy land, he is literally a more expensive version of Sam Williams.
Better off keeping Sammy for a year and seeing what comes on the market.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I put this in the halves thread, but our favourite Tiger is in the news again. So is a former Tiger, who thinks he is a halfback, and a precious former Raider.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c61f8e1778
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

As i said months ago, they've been trying to move that contract for 18 months now
as soon as they find a willing partner who will take on enough of the contract, he'll be finished as a tiger.

Daily Telegraphs Top 100 paid had Brooks down at 850k... have to wonder how much they're willing to take, cant see any club taking on him than 50% of the deal
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

At some point we're gonna have to realise that this almost flat wage structure across the team doesn't work, and we're gonna need to punt by outlaying some money. Paying the likes of Jarrod Croker 600k a year because he's done heaps for us and deserves it is no way to run a successful football club. You don't win premierships dumping money into players like that.

A guy like Brooks is in his prime years physically and has strengthened a lot of his previous weaknesses. He's a guy that will rise with the tide, and at the Tigers he's had nothing put still water.

Get on the **** phone and get him signed Raiders. That the Tigers seemingly don't want him anymore means nothing to me - that club had had the worst recruitment and retention in the NRL for the past decade.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

For those advocating for Brooks to be signed by this honorable club, have they seen him play recently ?

e.g. versus Melbourne, Souths, and yesterday?

I watched the Melbourne game. He avoided contact and making tackles in that game. Didn't give a s when Melbourne were making breaks down his side.

I watched the Brisbane game. One of his passes to Ken Maumalo was over the sideline and along the ground. They only won as Doohee was leading and running the attack. They had to move Doohee to 5/8 again as Brooks leading the attack was rubbish in the past weeks.

His kicking is not particularly effective. But he does have speed and can run off Papa/Tapine offloads like George Williams - much better than Sammy who is a slow coach. He also plays a fast passing style, whether it is effective is another matter.

Don't expect a tiger to change their spots
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on July 19, 2021, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 19, 2021, 1:56 pm As i said months ago, they've been trying to move that contract for 18 months now
as soon as they find a willing partner who will take on enough of the contract, he'll be finished as a tiger.

Daily Telegraphs Top 100 paid had Brooks down at 850k... have to wonder how much they're willing to take, cant see any club taking on him than 50% of the deal
Tigers threw all their eggs into the Luke Brooks basket when they let Moses go. Coming through their junior system he's always been looked on very favourably. The rest of the comp can sit back and assess him purely on what he's delivered so far and going forward. You can be certain there's no club putting that valuation on him. Also factor in that wherever he goes he won't be guaranteed the starting role. That puts him in the $400k-$500k bracket.

Brooks will forever be a frustration for whatever club he plays for. Has all the tools in his kit as far as passing, running and kicking goes. Where he's consistently fallen over is the less tangible parts of a quality half. That is decision making and ability to read a game. After 160+ NRL matches you would expect a to be hitting peak in these areas. Not sure there's much upside in for him there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:09 pm Get on the **** phone and get him signed Raiders. That the Tigers seemingly don't want him anymore means nothing to me - that club had had the worst recruitment and retention in the NRL for the past decade.
Dont worry about it friend, I told you months ago he'd be a Raider
This is my destiny. The die is cast.

You and i... we have a 15 pages, back and forth, knock em down and drag it out date 18 months from now in a "Should we re-sign Luke Brooks?" thread.
Ill bring the beer, you bring the snacks.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Brooks has the style of attacking play that would be well suited to us. Physical, quick go forward. We saw how well that worked off CHN this past weekend. Whilst I don't think he is going to play for Australia, Brooks lining up at 7 ahead of Sammy makes a serious tilt at a run next year look possible.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Our premiership window is just about shut. Brooks isnt the right choice if we're looking to win a comp in the coming 2 years.
Whilst he might have some good qualities his weaknesses can't be ignored.
He lacks leadership, game management and big game experience. We don't have time to to instill these qualities in an unproven 7 whos best days are past him.
This would be just a more expensive band aid fix for what we already have in SW.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:25 pm For those advocating for Brooks to be signed by this honorable club, have they seen him play recently ?

e.g. versus Melbourne, Souths, and yesterday?

I watched the Melbourne game. He avoided contact and making tackles in that game. Didn't give a s when Melbourne were making breaks down his side.

I watched the Brisbane game. One of his passes to Ken Maumalo was over the sideline and along the ground. They only won as Doohee was leading and running the attack. They had to move Doohee to 5/8 again as Brooks leading the attack was rubbish in the past weeks.

His kicking is not particularly effective. But he does have speed and can run off Papa/Tapine offloads like George Williams - much better than Sammy who is a slow coach. He also plays a fast passing style, whether it is effective is another matter.

Don't expect a tiger to change their spots
Equal 3rd in try assists
2nd in run metres
6th in tackle breaks
3rd in offloads
2nd in effective offloads
7th in kick metres
7th in line break assists
3rd in forced dropouts
4th in try contributions
5th in total try involvements

Amongst regular halfbacks.

Numbers aren't everything, and I'll never point to them alone, but go find me a half putting that up with his club in the position the Tigers are in.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:09 pm Get on the **** phone and get him signed Raiders. That the Tigers seemingly don't want him anymore means nothing to me - that club had had the worst recruitment and retention in the NRL for the past decade.
Dont worry about it friend, I told you months ago he'd be a Raider
This is my destiny. The die is cast.

You and i... we have a 15 pages, back and forth, knock em down and drag it out date 18 months from now in a "Should we re-sign Luke Brooks?" thread.
Ill bring the beer, you bring the snacks.
Indeed :lol:

15 pages might be underestimating it though.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

I had a dream a month or 2 ago we signed brooks, I woke up in a cold sweat. This signing will be as bad as when we released future hall of famer LUKE PAGE !!!
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

radicalraider wrote: July 19, 2021, 3:12 pm Our premiership window is just about shut. Brooks isnt the right choice if we're looking to win a comp in the coming 2 years.
Whilst he might have some good qualities his weaknesses can't be ignored.
He lacks leadership, game management and big game experience. We don't have time to to instill these qualities in an unproven 7 whos best days are past him.
This would be just a more expensive band aid fix for what we already have in SW.
This would be like paying a bit more money for a waterproof bandaid - still a band aid, but one that will last longer and perform slightly better at its primary role.

There are currently no halves on the market in the next 2 years that will help us immediately win a comp in the next 2 years. So thinking we should sign no one and write off the next 2 years with Sam Williams is futile. LUKE BROOKS isnt Cooper Cronk. But fyi, Sezer wasnt Cooper Cronk either, and neither was GWilly. We made a GF and Prelim with those boys for the most successful period in 20 years. If BROOKS is available, and the money makes sense, he can 100% play a role in our team. And it a role that we would be seriously struggling to fill with existing players in our squad, or other players on the open market.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I just watch games and rely on what I see. You've quoted those stats at me several months before, and I sent you the clips of games that I have seen him in - of pathetic missed tackles and kicks going beyond the dead ball line. He is as soft as a marshmallow and didn't want to put his body on the line in games that I've seen. He would be one of the last halfbacks I would choose to go to battle with me in the trenches.

Caleb Aekins also had very good stats of high kick return running metres - in the top bracket of fullbacks but I rely on what I see thanks very much.

I've mentioned Brooks' good points - speed, engaging the line, I can see how he could run off some forwards with good support play on offlaods, but don't expect him to game manage victories or take the lead in our attack. Or come up with the game changing pass or kick. Doohee leads the attack for Wests. Brooks does the opposite of what Ricky did when he was a halfback - the guy hardly talks or leads his team around the park. he is as quiet as a mouse. One wonders why Wests want to let him go with such great stats.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If Luke Brooks is such a desired signing, why are the Tigers getting rid of him? One reason, clearly, is he costs way too much and he doesn't deliver value. I'd reckon he's not worth anything more than $300-400,000. Definitely no more. The other issue is, he's only a back up half. And that's the other reason why the Tigers are trying to move him on.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 19, 2021, 3:29 pm I just watch games and rely on what I see. You've quoted those stats at me several months before, and I sent you the clips of games that I have seen him in - of pathetic missed tackles and kicks going beyond the dead ball line. He is as soft as a marshmallow and didn't want to put his body on the line in games that I've seen. He would be one of the last halfbacks I would choose to go to battle with me in the trenches.

Caleb Aekins also had very good stats of high kick return running metres - in the top bracket of fullbacks but I rely on what I see thanks very much.

I've mentioned Brooks' good points - speed, engaging the line, I can see how he could run off some forwards with good support play on offlaods, but don't expect him to game manage victories or take the lead in our attack. Or come up with the game changing pass or kick. Doohee leads the attack for Wests. Brooks does the opposite of what Ricky did when he was a halfback - the guy hardly talks or leads his team around the park. he is as quiet as a mouse. One wonders why Wests want to let him go with such great stats.
You can't rely on what you see only in debates like this. People see what they want to see. Framing things along the lines of pre-existing notions, arbitrarily picking out clips to suit a view. I could show you half a dozen clips of Jack Wighton being a **** defender this season - does that mean he's a **** defender?

If Brooks was a crud half, across the different facets of halfback play, they'd be reflected in his numbers. They don't lie to that extent.

Edit - by claiming that Doueihi leads the attack for Wests, I think that tells me that you may not be watching or following close enough. He got moved from 5/8th to centre because it wasn't working out, only to be replaced by Moses **** Mbye. Yesterday was his first game back there in months. He's a skilled player, but a bit of an enigma. It's not saying much about your ability as a half when the Tigers are shifting you to play in the centres, mind you.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

What has frawley done wrong? Why is SW getting more games ? Shouldn't we exhaust what we have available before looking for another band aid. Give frawley more game time and the permission to steer us around.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2021, 3:38 pm If Luke Brooks is such a desired signing, why are the Tigers getting rid of him? One reason, clearly, is he costs way too much and he doesn't deliver value. I'd reckon he's not worth anything more than $300-400,000. Definitely no more. The other issue is, he's only a back up half. And that's the other reason why the Tigers are trying to move him on.
This comes back to Tigers expectations in their shopping of Brooks. Are they looking for somebody to take over his $850k contract or do they want to offload him and willing to wear a big chunk of his salary?
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 19, 2021, 4:15 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2021, 3:38 pm If Luke Brooks is such a desired signing, why are the Tigers getting rid of him? One reason, clearly, is he costs way too much and he doesn't deliver value. I'd reckon he's not worth anything more than $300-400,000. Definitely no more. The other issue is, he's only a back up half. And that's the other reason why the Tigers are trying to move him on.
This comes back to Tigers expectations in their shopping of Brooks. Are they looking for somebody to take over his $850k contract or do they want to offload him and willing to wear a big chunk of his salary?
I doubt the tigers would find anyone to take his whole salary. If the Tigers wanted to chip in 250-300k, I'd take a punt on Brooks for 2 years.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

radicalraider wrote:What has frawley done wrong? Why is SW getting more games ? Shouldn't we exhaust what we have available before looking for another band aid. Give frawley more game time and the permission to steer us around.
This is where I’m sitting. We’re not going to be in contention next year, I’ve accepted it as a write off.

Have SWilly or Frawley play it out next year, and see how Schneider grows. If he looks the goods, get our ship sorted for 2023 and beyond.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Oh no 360 mentioning Brookes to raiders
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

radicalraider wrote: July 19, 2021, 7:06 pm Oh no 360 mentioning Brookes to raiders
What do your sources say ? Any inside word
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

You want **** Matt Frawley to 'steer us around' mate.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I think the point is that Frawley would deliver much better value which could allow us to bank some cash to target a real big fish in the future. I know you are all in on Brooks but you haven't many friends in this department and for good reason. He is not the answer.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 7:16 pm You want **** Matt Frawley to 'steer us around' mate.
And you want a tigers reject !
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders666 wrote:
radicalraider wrote: July 19, 2021, 7:06 pm Oh no 360 mentioning Brookes to raiders
What do your sources say ? Any inside word
Signed, 2.5 year deal

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well in addition to his cost, he's to this point in his career been expected to carry a whole team. Our team is not set up like that, we have multiple attack points. We wouldn't need him to be a saviour, just play a role