Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by GreenMachine »

Sorry, George Williams was a tidy player but nothing special.
Not among the best 4 or 5 halfbacks in the comp. That’s a myth.
Cleary, Keary, Hughes, Moses, Evans, Reynolds, Pearce are all better than him.
I’d throw in Walker from the Roosters too (a rookie)…
The bias in this echo chamber is astounding…we really love overrating our own players.
Anyway my point stands…I’d take Brown over the dregs being discussed.
And nothing changes without changing our coach or how he coaches attack…
Bookmark this post for future reference.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: July 15, 2021, 7:52 pm Sorry, George Williams was a tidy player but nothing special.
The bias in this echo chamber is astounding…we really love overrating our own players.
I usually agree with a good deal of what you say, but the bolded in 2020-21 are next to no chance (not sure who the hell Evans is). Put Williams into the Storm and they'd be getting way more than what they're getting from Hughes.

It wasn't just us rating him - commentators, pundits, journalists, opposition fans alike. Numbers backed him up too, which I posted a few times throughout last season. He was up there with the best across most metrics.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: July 15, 2021, 8:09 pm
GreenMachine wrote: July 15, 2021, 7:52 pm Sorry, George Williams was a tidy player but nothing special.
I agree with a good deal of what you say, but the bolded in 2020-21 are next to no chance (not sure who the hell Evans is). Put Williams into the Storm and they'd be getting way more than what they're getting from Hughes.

It wasn't just us rating him - commentators, pundits, journalists, opposition fans alike. Numbers backed him up too, which I posted a few times throughout last season. He was up there with the best across most metrics.
Cherry Evans.
Agree to disagree.
Didn’t see much attacking organisation in George’s game…which seems to be the attribute people around here are hoping for with our halfback.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Ok - in that case I don't rate him above DCE ability, although he has the propensity to blow extremely hot or cold and wilt under pressure. Despite his status in the game and experience, I'm not too sure I'd be backing him over Williams - he's a very frustrating player.

As I've said before, I think the term 'organisational' halfback has become grossly overused. I don't believe people actually know what they mean when they use it. Sam Williams is, under how I see people use the term, a very organisational halfback.... yet he's just not very good, or what we need. A lot of the time people seem to mix the term in with good general play kicker. All of George, Hodgson, and Wighton have enough ability in that area. Hodgson and Williams are very good from short. Hodgson is great from range, Jack has enough potential with a big boot. What Williams developed last season was pretty handy too, albeit with more limited range. If our coaching staff couldn't fashion a decent enough all-round kicking game from those three, then it's on them.

Give us a fullback who isn't the worst second receiver playing at one in the comp, some better outside backs, abandon the restrictive game play coached into us, and there's no doubt to me that we have the ability to go up further last season and take it to the Storm and Panthers. Ditto this season, except add in fitness too.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: July 15, 2021, 8:34 pm Ok - in that case I don't rate him above DCE ability, although he has the propensity to blow extremely hot or cold and wilt under pressure. Despite his status in the game and experience, I'm not too sure I'd be backing him over Williams - he's a very frustrating player.

As I've said before, I think the term 'organisational' halfback has become grossly overused. I don't believe people actually know what they mean when they use it. Sam Williams is, under how I see people use the term, a very organisational halfback.... yet he's just not very good, or what we need. A lot of the time people seem to mix the term in with good general play kicker. All of George, Hodgson, and Wighton have enough ability in that area. Hodgson and Williams are very good from short. Hodgson is great from range, Jack has enough potential with a big boot. What Williams developed last season was pretty handy too, albeit with more limited range. If our coaching staff couldn't fashion a decent enough all-round kicking game from those three, then it's on them.

Give us a fullback who isn't the worst second receiver playing at one in the comp, some better outside backs, abandon the restrictive game play coached into us, and there's no doubt to me that we have the ability to go up further last season and take it to the Storm and Panthers. Ditto this season, except add in fitness too.
You see, I agree with this 100%.
I throw the term in as a sarcastic jab because its a ridiculous term. Made even more ridiculous by the sheeple that keep insisting on the club recruiting an "organisational half"...
Your halfback is either a natural leader or not. He is either the coaches voice on the field (I.e. able to convey the coaches message / plan) or not.
Our problem as a team lies in the actual message being conveyed by the coach, not the guys running around trying to execute the message / plan.
The key/main/ issue we have about our football at the moment is the fact that we have, as you have correctly pointed, a restrictive, conservative game plan that is outdated under the current rules as they are interpreted.
Our personnel recruitment / promotion / retention plays a part, but not the significant part. The significant part is getting the coach to either change or change his approach.
You could have Sam Walker in our team today and people would still be crying for Sam Williams because our clueless coaching would expose him more...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote: July 15, 2021, 5:55 pm If the best we can hope for is Dylan Brown coming in and making tackles then I will agree that nobody is going to miraculously change our attacking.

I really can't think of anything notable about Brown other than he's a good defender. I don't see much of a kicking game, passing game, organising skills or even much of a running game. He's been on the scene for a couple of years now and I'm not seeing him evolve. It's like his primary role is not to get in the way of Moses and Gutho.
That has been his role for a while. Defend well and let those 2 call the shots.
He's not a halfback he's a young 5/8 who's another contract away from being any type of real organizer. Still only 24 by then. The danger he was with ball in hand seems to have died this year with the injuries and niggles he's had.
We need someone with a kicking game.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

PM still fishing in the Pommy well by all reports.
Will be interesting

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:PM still fishing in the Pommy well by all reports.
Will be interesting

Took me ages to realise you weren’t referring to Scomo
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He doesn’t hold a rod mate
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Milf to FB
Bj to reform Leipana
Fergo outside Toots
Duges to the halves

😎
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

1992 wrote:Milf to FB
Bj to reform Leipana
Fergo outside Toots
Duges to the halves

Glad SOMEBODY is on board with my plan!
You forgot Vaughan though
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 16, 2021, 9:20 pm
1992 wrote:Milf to FB
Bj to reform Leipana
Fergo outside Toots
Duges to the halves

Glad SOMEBODY is on board with my plan!
You forgot Vaughan though
That would just be dumb.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

We really cannot go with Croker and Scott as centres next year, Sammy as half, and Rapana and Bailey as the wingers. That would be the worst backline in the comp. Even Roosters' reserve grade centres Billy Smith and Suaalii are better than Croker and Scott at this stage of their careers. Scott has only played two games considered as good for us - the game against Melbourne after the restart last year, and the Nth Qld game last year. Need to give Timoko one of the centre starting spots, hope Kris and HHS continue their improvement, and recruit some creativity and speed. Every day I'm hopeful that we are linked with someone good, but it's slim pickings for halves. In terms of backline additions, we should look at Tesi Niu, the Hammer. I'm even desperate enough to consider Milford as a No .14.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:We really cannot go with Croker and Scott as centres next year, Sammy as half, and Rapana and Bailey as the wingers. That would be the worst backline in the comp. Even Roosters' reserve grade centres Billy Smith and Suaalii are better than Croker and Scott at this stage of their careers. Scott has only played two games considered as good for us - the game against Melbourne after the restart last year, and the Nth Qld game last year. Need to give Timoko one of the centre starting spots, hope Kris and HHS continue their improvement, and recruit some creativity and speed. Every day I'm hopeful that we are linked with someone good, but it's slim pickings for halves. In terms of backline additions, we should look at Tesi Niu, the Hammer. I'm even desperate enough to consider Milford as a No .14.
Has Tesi Nui signed with the Titans for next year??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

What about having a look a Lachie Miller. His highlights are amazing..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/lachie-mi ... 8c0cc5d73c

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

SeeBee101 wrote: July 18, 2021, 7:45 pm What about having a look a Lachie Miller. His highlights are amazing..

Give him a crack at halfback
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

SeeBee101 wrote:What about having a look a Lachie Miller. His highlights are amazing..

Not a bad idea looking at Rugby 7s players given the way the game has sped up
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

SeeBee101 wrote:What about having a look a Lachie Miller. His highlights are amazing..

not many defence highlights

Edrick The Entertainer
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Apparently he wants to use the olympics to promote himself to nrl clubs. Could be electric in the halves

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I've seen him play a few times. Imagine a slower, less defensively capable Blake Austin.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
pato2j
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: big Mal

Tyrone May?

Post by pato2j »

Tyrone May? Off contract and did a great job filling in for Cleary playing 7 and organising the panthers around the park.

Can pass both ways, can kick and seems to read the play well.

Also has size and a good defender.

Perfect 14 if not playing 7.

Character in question given his past but he may have learned his lesson.

We could do worse.
Last edited by pato2j on July 19, 2021, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Tyrone May?

Post by bonehead »

pato2j wrote:Off contract and did a great job filling in for Cleary playing 7 and organising the panthers around the park.

Can pass both ways, can kick and seems to read the play well.

Also has size and a good defender.

Perfect 14 if not playing 7.

Character in question given his past but he may have learned his lesson.

We could do worse.
has grown up a lot this season off field

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

So, he's Sam Williams?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Hard no. No speed, lacks creativity. Average all round. Only getting a game now because he is Nathan’s best friend.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

No

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: July 19, 2021, 7:06 am I've seen him play a few times. Imagine a slower, less defensively capable Blake Austin.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
:lol:
Christ! If that's the book on him... yeah, na.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

What about Luke Brooks
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: July 19, 2021, 8:32 am What about Luke Brooks
Tigers star Luke Brooks shopped to rivals: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c61f8e1778

Looks like Brooks is being shopped around. I wouldn't have used the word "star" to describe him. If a perennial underperforming club like Wests don't want him then it sounds alarm bells. Hope Ricky and Furner are not dumb enough to buy him.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Sign Brooks please.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

What does Brookes bring that Sam Williams doesn't
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

radicalraider wrote: July 19, 2021, 11:20 am What does Brookes bring that Sam Williams doesn't
A bigger salary
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

radicalraider wrote: July 19, 2021, 11:20 am What does Brookes bring that Sam Williams doesn't
Permanent NRL first grade ability for one.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Brooks and Williams are virtually the same player stylistically

Strengths and weaknesses are identical really... but you have to at least be honest about it and say Brooks is superior in almost every way to Williams
Is that worth the salary? That's the rub.

He's contracted until the end of 2023 so...
Is Sam Williams with a 20-25% booster to all his abilities worth 300k a year and a starting spot? Given our other options... yeah, I might hold my nose and take it on. It's only 2 years and that's cheap enough that your options are still pretty open to go at some kid who emerges stuck behind others.

Is that worth just giving him all the George Williams money? That's a too rich for my blood. But as we know there are Brooks fans out there who would probably be happy to have Brooks on the books for 600k for 2 years.

You tell me what we're going to pay Luke Brooks and for how long, and ill tell you if i think that's something we should do
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Brooks and Williams are nowhere near the same player. At all. There's at least half a dozen major differences right off the top of my head.

Basically like saying all halfbacks are 'stylistically' similar.... because they're players who kick and pass a ball.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 11:56 am Brooks and Williams are nowhere near the same player. At all. There's at least half a dozen major differences right off the top of my head.

Basically like saying all halfbacks are 'stylistically' similar.... because they're players who kick and pass a ball.
In the long term though will those differences of Brookes to williams make us more of a premiership threat