Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: August 31, 2021, 10:47 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: August 31, 2021, 10:12 am
BadnMean wrote: August 31, 2021, 7:25 am If we have any brains CHN will have one edge spot. That leaves Whitehead and Young as left edge options. Whitehead and CHN would be on a substantial wage. Young on mid range (250/300k). I think we'd be more inclined to look for a bargain youngster or backup than big name.
CHN should definitely have one spot. I think for Whitehead to continue to play there he would need to be on reduced minutes, sharing the role imo. That could work with Young but I would prefer another pick up. We've got at least $400-500k free next year with Scott gone as well as Williams' money to spare, there are no million dollar halves on the market, and we haven't done much recruiting while most clubs have picked up a couple players.
Looking at next yrs edge stocks:
Bronx
Bullemore - 'tweener' (means mid and edge) - I have heard he is off to the Warriors though, so keep an eye on that
Palasia - I suspect Bronx sunk too much coin into this kid to let him go, but sin bin on debut is fun

Raiders - CHN.... MUST RE-SIGN!

Dogs
Doorey - Just suffered an ACL, which doesnt help
RFM - 2 surgeries on his foot this year, again, not ideal. Would want to start though.
Stimson - not the player he was at Storm...surprise surprise.

Sharks - Nikora - would want to start

Manly
Davey - ACL this yr. Was the late bloomer guy from Eels. Could be handy depth
Lawton - can play edge, hooker and centre. Certainly a good bench type option, and can start when required, as seen this yr.

Storm
Eisenhuth - role player/ benchie type
Howarth - young, had big wraps, not sure Storm will let him go, but worth a look
Lewis - tore us up twice this yr... :lol:

NZ - Murchie - bring him back for depth?

Cows:
Dunn - bit thin and ganglely for mine, but a worker
Gilbert - reminds me of Big Red TBH. More mid than edge, but could play a role. High workrate and motor
Hola - Impact type guy, hasnt cracked it there in recent times, but had a big preseason last yr and I believe got hurt.

Eels
Hipgrave - career fell off a cliff TBH at Titans
Matterson - big dollars and a start would be required.
Niukore - could play that edge/ mid role off the bench. Can fill either roll well.
iPapa - wouldnt this be a steal!! But again, big money required and a start.

Panthers - Kik - Big dollars and a start

Dragons
Burns - can start, been a fringe guy for a while. Came out of the Penrith system
Ford - TBH, looks a defensive liability on an edge, looks better at 13
Sims - Will be getting a bit old TBH, and I think would make a better 13 than edge.

Chooks
Crichton - big bucks and a start
Suluka-Fifita - 'tweener' - Not sure the chooks would let him go, but decent wraps, young

Tigers
Garner - bench/ depth. Can start if required. Can be a defensive liability though.
Lil Leilua - quality player. Id say mid to high dollars and a start
Tuilagi - young, think he deubted this yr, dont know too much about him.
I was trying to find my previous response to one of your posts where I outlined which second rowers I think would be a handy pick up. But of the above, I think Bullemor would be a good pick up if you're looking at sharing the role with Whitehead off the bench. All of those who would want a start would be an upgrade on what we have too. Has Heilum Luki re-signed with the Cowboys? He would be an excellent buy... or possibly Nanai. I doubt they will be able to hold on to both.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Tbh if the Cowboys duo are still unsigned then I'd be inclined to go for one of them. You wouldn't have to fork out too much coin imo and it's a plan for the future - they could play a bench role until we need them to step up to the starting role.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
BadnMean wrote: August 31, 2021, 7:25 am If we have any brains CHN will have one edge spot. That leaves Whitehead and Young as left edge options. Whitehead and CHN would be on a substantial wage. Young on mid range (250/300k). I think we'd be more inclined to look for a bargain youngster or backup than big name.
CHN should definitely have one spot. I think for Whitehead to continue to play there he would need to be on reduced minutes, sharing the role imo. That could work with Young but I would prefer another pick up. We've got at least $400-500k free next year with Scott gone as well as Williams' money to spare, there are no million dollar halves on the market, and we haven't done much recruiting while most clubs have picked up a couple players.
Bronx
Bullemore - 'tweener' (means mid and edge) - I have heard he is off to the Warriors though, so keep an eye on that
Palasia - I suspect Bronx sunk too much coin into this kid to let him go, but sin bin on debut is fun

Dogs
RFM - 2 surgeries on his foot this year, again, not ideal. Would want to start though.

Manly
Lawton - can play edge, hooker and centre. Certainly a good bench type option, and can start when required, as seen this yr.

Storm
Howarth - young, had big wraps, not sure Storm will let him go, but worth a look
Lewis - tore us up twice this yr... Image

Cows:
Gilbert - reminds me of Big Red TBH. More mid than edge, but could play a role. High workrate and motor
Hola - Impact type guy, hasnt cracked it there in recent times, but had a big preseason last yr and I believe got hurt.

Eels
Niukore - could play that edge/ mid role off the bench. Can fill either roll well.

Dragons
Burns - can start, been a fringe guy for a while. Came out of the Penrith system
Sims - Will be getting a bit old TBH, and I think would make a better 13 than edge.

Chooks
Suluka-Fifita - 'tweener' - Not sure the chooks would let him go, but decent wraps, young

Tigers
Garner - bench/ depth. Can start if required. Can be a defensive liability though.
I was trying to find my previous response to one of your posts where I outlined which second rowers I think would be a handy pick up. But of the above, I think Bullemor would be a good pick up if you're looking at sharing the role with Whitehead off the bench. All of those who would want a start would be an upgrade on what we have too. Has Heilum Luki re-signed with the Cowboys? He would be an excellent buy... or possibly Nanai. I doubt they will be able to hold on to both.
Bullemor all but done with Manly, we had a look last year and he looks handy.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

bonehead wrote: August 31, 2021, 11:19 am
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Bronx

Dogs

Manly

Storm

Cows:

Eels

Dragons

Chooks

Tigers

That will be good buy for Manly. We must be the only club that hasn't recruited from outside in 2021.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 31, 2021, 11:16 am Tbh if the Cowboys duo are still unsigned then I'd be inclined to go for one of them. You wouldn't have to fork out too much coin imo and it's a plan for the future - they could play a bench role until we need them to step up to the starting role.
I really like the look of Luki. Straight out of the Lolo mould. Nanai has a nice slight of hand, and big enough. I think Neame looks good too, but looks like he has been signed til 2023.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: August 31, 2021, 11:19 am
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Bronx

Dogs

Manly

Storm

Cows:

Eels

Dragons

Chooks

Tigers

Manly?!?!
I heard strong news outta Warriors.
Either way, whomever signs him is getting a good'un. Looks a real goer.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: August 31, 2021, 1:30 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: August 31, 2021, 11:16 am Tbh if the Cowboys duo are still unsigned then I'd be inclined to go for one of them. You wouldn't have to fork out too much coin imo and it's a plan for the future - they could play a bench role until we need them to step up to the starting role.
I really like the look of Luki. Straight out of the Lolo mould. Nanai has a nice slight of hand, and big enough. I think Neame looks good too, but looks like he has been signed til 2023.
It's amazing that Luki isn't yet re-signed by the Cowboys from what I can gather... hopefully it's a sign that he's in talks with other clubs (i.e. us :thumbsup )
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Never understood the Stimson hype. I didn't think he was even a good player at the Storm.
If you could grab lil' leilua it'd be great.

Josh Curran from the Warriors if available would be my pick. He'd been tearing it up for a month before copping a knock and flaking against us. Has that Rapana feel about him.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

zim wrote: August 31, 2021, 1:55 pm Never understood the Stimson hype. I didn't think he was even a good player at the Storm.

Josh Curran from the Warriors if available would be my pick. He'd been tearing it up for a month before copping a knock and flaking against us. Has that Rapana feel about him.
I think Curran is with them until end of 2023
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 31, 2021, 2:12 pm
zim wrote: August 31, 2021, 1:55 pm Never understood the Stimson hype. I didn't think he was even a good player at the Storm.

I think Curran is with them until end of 2023
Out of the Chooks system. Bit like Watto, had to go elsewhere to realise his ability and potential. I could see him return there too tbh.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

I know it’s only early, but very concerning that we have made 0 signings externally for 2022…
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

UncleDrew wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:37 pm I know it’s only early, but very concerning that we have made 0 signings externally for 2022…
Very concerning. Our elder statesmen being another year older and the fact that that side tonight is arguably our 2022 side and it got beaten by 40 by a makeshift roosters side. Things are bleak
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I really hope we have our eyes on Morgan Gannon from Leeds, he's getting massive wraps.
Only 17yo, 10 games at ESL already and at 6'3 pushing 100kg he's a physically promising forward.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... d-21356813

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ey-3357902

Edrick The Entertainer
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson

Post by UncleDrew »

chris83 wrote: September 2, 2021, 11:12 pm
UncleDrew wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:37 pm I know it’s only early, but very concerning that we have made 0 signings externally for 2022…
Very concerning. Our elder statesmen being another year older and the fact that that side tonight is arguably our 2022 side and it got beaten by 40 by a makeshift roosters side. Things are bleak
Awful, got pumped against a bunch of reserve graders and looks like little to no reinforcements will be added either
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

It's extremely concerning... if we go into next year with virtually the same squad plus some journeyman halfback, we're looking at bottom four.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: September 3, 2021, 8:38 am I really hope we have our eyes on Morgan Gannon from Leeds, he's getting massive wraps.
Only 17yo, 10 games at ESL already and at 6'3 pushing 100kg he's a physically promising forward.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... d-21356813

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ey-3357902

WOW! Massive
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 31, 2021, 3:35 am
bonehead wrote: August 30, 2021, 9:36 pm
Matt wrote:
bonehead wrote: August 30, 2021, 2:18 pm Curtis Sironen off contract, I like him and should be coming into his prime

How/ where would you play him?
left edge

There's a big market coming up in November for edge backrowers. I'm not sure I'd be rushing out to pick up Sironen considering some of the other options that will become available.
Siro is off to ESL.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

Tariq Sims could be leaving the Dragons... move Whitehead to lock

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Junior wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:33 pm Tariq Sims could be leaving the Dragons... move Whitehead to lock

Report said Dragons weren't retaining him beyond his current contract for 2022. He'll be 33 at the start of the 2023 season. This is not a progressive signing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

He's 33. Wow. That's around the same age as Whitehead.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

How many 33 year old back rowers do you want in the team?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Junior wrote:Tariq Sims could be leaving the Dragons... move Whitehead to lock

How bout no

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Junior wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:46 pm He's 33. Wow. That's around the same age as Whitehead.

Give him a three year deal
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson

Post by UncleDrew »

Someone on the kennel believes that Ryan James and Corey Allan player swap is on the cards.

https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/inde ... es.121531/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Allan
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

UncleDrew wrote: September 3, 2021, 11:32 pm Someone on the kennel believes that Ryan James and Corey Allan player swap is on the cards.

Just read it on the kennel. Geez they have some high opinions of their average players over there. Is Allan any good? Have to admit I hav never paid much attention to him
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's solid, and slow. Would be a depth signing for the back 5.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Awesome, another pathetically slow back to add to the team

What are we doing
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

There were massive raps on him as a junior. Mal selected him to play fullback in prime minister's team with out playing first grade. He left Broncos under Bennett for an opportunity but then Bennett followed him to the bunnies. He played origin last year but then again so did the Lee cousins. I thought he did a good job as fullback at the bunnies when filling in, before they got latrell. I think he'd be an upgrade on Caleb but that isn't saying a whole lot

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Corey Allan hey. I thought he was an absolute dud. But his play at fullback for Souths at the back end of last season was very, very good.

I’ve avoided watching Canterbury as much as possible this year because they’ve been horrific. From all reports he’s struggled. But so has every outside back in their jersey.

He’s not someone I’d target but the Canberra squad would be better for losing Aekins and swapping James for Allan imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The difference with Sims and Smelly, Sims played well enough to get an origin jersey (yes injury and suspension was involved), will Smelly keep his English jersey?

I still think Sims is a middle, so would 30-50mins of Sims be better than our 2nd set of middles? I'd argue yes
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Matt wrote: September 4, 2021, 8:51 am The difference with Sims and Smelly, Sims played well enough to get an origin jersey (yes injury and suspension was involved), will Smelly keep his English jersey?

I still think Sims is a middle, so would 30-50mins of Sims be better than our 2nd set of middles? I'd argue yes
Don't think Whitehead, if he qualified, would get anywhere near a NSW or QLD Origin jersey or even a second XIII
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: September 4, 2021, 8:51 am The difference with Sims and Smelly, Sims played well enough to get an origin jersey (yes injury and suspension was involved), will Smelly keep his English jersey?

But it’s not where the team is losing games or needs to spend money imoz
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: September 4, 2021, 11:14 am

But it’s not where the team is losing games or needs to spend money imoz
Agreed.
I wouldn't mind the starch and aggression he'd bring though
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

UncleDrew wrote: September 3, 2021, 11:32 pm Someone on the kennel believes that Ryan James and Corey Allan player swap is on the cards.

Would take that in a heart beat. Allan was a very highly rated junior out of Souths Logan. Played full back in the Junior Kangaroos when the test match was in Canberra a few years back. Would have probably been considered with Cotric as the best full back in the country at age 16-17.

I think in a good team he is a very decent option either full back, centre or wing.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Interesting.

You have CNK, Savage, HSS, Timoko and Rapana as our first choice backline then you have Kris, Simo, Valemei and Anderson as depth. Suppose Allan gives us a bit more solidity there, epecially if Kris becomes part of our forward pack.

Wonder if any news regarding Frawley and Williams will surface soon. At this stage all we are going into 2022 with is Schneider and Moala. Anyone take Flanagan as an at absolute best back up half as part of this swap?