Our next skipper

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Our next skipper

Post by -PJ- »

I know we are a couple of years away from the pending retirement of Hodgo and Toots. I’m not pushing them under a bus but was thinking about our next leader/leaders.

We have an ageing list and in 2 years from now probably Whitey, Lui, Rapana and definately Sia will all be gone.

If we continue with the joint captains theme I’m going with Papa and Jack

Jack- After a well documented scuffle 18 months ago Jack has blossomed. His game has gone to another level. He loves the club and the town. He’s a responsible family man now and has settled into life.

Papa- CUZ WE LOVE HIM.

There’s a million different scenarios to unfold before we reach this decision.

Thought ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Our next skipper..

Post by sprintman »

Ryan James
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Sammy Williams has never lost a game as Capt 😁
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Whitehead

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

By the time Hodgo and Toots move on, Wighton and Papa will be in their early-to-mid 30s. I'm not a massive fan of a transitional captain for a year or two.

I appreciate it's just a discussion idea but I think we are many years away from this being reality and the whole team will look very different at that point. Our next captain may not have even played a game for us yet (could be a top signing from elsewhere).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Our next skipper

Post by Botman »

Assuming Croker plays 2 more seasons, that takes Wighton and Papalii to 30, Hodgson will be 32-33 and frankly maybe retired by then.

The long term answer is very likely someone not in the top team right now. Someone like a HSS or Trevilyan strike me as long term captain options. But i dont think Stuart will shy away from a short 2-3 year run with Wighton as captain, other in squad options i see a viable would be George Williams and if he's still in the team, either at centre or fullback, i could see CNK being tabbed for the role. The vast majority of the captains role is off the field and i think CNK is built similarly to Croker in that respect
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Cameron Smith is in with a shot I reckon.

But if CNK is still around I think he'd be one of the co-captains.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I reckon Curtis Scott is a shoe in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 3, 2021, 6:37 am Whitehead

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Isn't he older than Hodgo?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Papa will play until he's 50. Next cab off the rank for me. Being a front rower, Jacky Boi can deputy.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Whitehead is already 31.
TBH I cant see anyone in the current list who strikes me as a captain in two or three years other than George Williams.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Georgey Boy
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

James Roberts

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

If George Williams doesn't decide to head back to the UK, he will be the next captain.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Sammy Burgess
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Surprised no one has mentioned tapine as an option. I reckon he'd be odds on favourite. 2 years is a long time and I guess anything could happen. As a smokey, I reckon if guler kicks on in the way many of us hope he will, I reckon he could also be an option.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Tapine will never be an 80 minute player (and you dont want him to be) so that works against him for me personally,
Same with Guler.

The role itself is sort of a nothing burger on game day but there is a little confusion avoided if it's an 80 minute player. The role is mostly as a club embassador and mouthpeice of sorts, and all respect to big Tarps, not sure that's his strong suit, he's strikes me as the sort of guy whos a little too relaxed and carefree to take that stuff seriously :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm not a racist per se, but the language barrier would seriously count against the poms taking on that role.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 3, 2021, 7:40 pm I'm not a racist per se, but the language barrier would seriously count against the poms taking on that role.
Probably for most, but sources close to the situation tell me Ryan Sutton has an aussie accent
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2021, 7:18 pm Tapine will never be an 80 minute player (and you dont want him to be) so that works against him for me personally,
Same with Guler.

The role itself is sort of a nothing burger on game day but there is a little confusion avoided if it's an 80 minute player. The role is mostly as a club embassador and mouthpeice of sorts, and all respect to big Tarps, not sure that's his strong suit, he's strikes me as the sort of guy whos a little too relaxed and carefree to take that stuff seriously :lol:
Taps and guler to move more into the sia, leadership role. Vossy had a segment on this morning saying who the most influential players at good clubs are, such as jwh at roosters, finicane at the storm etc and that sia is the most influential player in the comp to his team.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i'd buy that, Sia was brought in with i think a very specific purpose for this club by Stuart, and i dont think anything he contributed on the paddock was a huge consideration. That was a bonus
Stuart coaching him at the roosters at a young age, and i think he's one of those "culture setters" sort of guys...

I will be STUNNED, honestly. Stunned. Like i'd put my damn mortgage on it and if he's not immedately put on the Raiders pay roll when he decides to hang the boots up, im homeless. That's how confident i am about that.
Last edited by Botman on March 3, 2021, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2021, 7:52 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 3, 2021, 7:40 pm I'm not a racist per se, but the language barrier would seriously count against the poms taking on that role.
Probably for most, but sources close to the situation tell me Ryan Sutton has an aussie accent
I find it hard to believe that anyone actually understood what that source had to say on the matter. :lol:

Maybe if the captain could communicate in writing?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 3, 2021, 8:12 pm
Botman wrote: March 3, 2021, 7:52 pm
I find it hard to believe that anyone actually understood what that source had to say on the matter. :lol:

Maybe if the captain could communicate in writing?
I can say Ryan Sutton could be understood in a recent conversation. Definitely has an Aussie accent.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

FROG wrote: March 3, 2021, 7:11 pm Surprised no one has mentioned tapine as an option. I reckon he'd be odds on favourite. 2 years is a long time and I guess anything could happen. As a smokey, I reckon if guler kicks on in the way many of us hope he will, I reckon he could also be an option.
Tapine would be one of the last choices I would expect. Doesn’t strike me as being vocal in the group at all.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2021, 8:12 pm Yeah i'd buy that, Sia was brought in with i think a very specific purpose for this club by Stuart, and i dont think anything he contributed on the paddock was a huge consideration. That was a bonus
Stuart coaching him at the roosters at a young age, and i think he's one of those "culture setters" sort of guys...

I will be STUNNED, honestly. Stunned. Like i'd put my damn mortgage on it and if he's not immedately put on the Raiders pay roll when he decides to hang the boots up, im homeless. That's how confident i am about that.
I have it on pretty decent authority that Sia was offered the captaincy when he arrived, and he thought he could have the same impact without it, and that it was better for the actual captain to already be a 'raider', so it was offered to Toots. Shows the level of maturity and leadership that Sia has that he saw that situation that way.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

John Bateman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: March 4, 2021, 12:36 pm
Botman wrote: March 3, 2021, 8:12 pm Yeah i'd buy that, Sia was brought in with i think a very specific purpose for this club by Stuart, and i dont think anything he contributed on the paddock was a huge consideration. That was a bonus

I will be STUNNED, honestly. Stunned. Like i'd put my damn mortgage on it and if he's not immediately put on the Raiders pay roll when he decides to hang the boots up, im homeless. That's how confident i am about that.
I have it on pretty decent authority that Sia was offered the captaincy when he arrived, and he thought he could have the same impact without it, and that it was better for the actual captain to already be a 'raider', so it was offered to Toots. Shows the level of maturity and leadership that Sia has that he saw that situation that way.
Thats interesting, hadnt heard that one before but it aligns with everything else i've heard about him and how the club views him.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Do you realise that

1) English people in general are normally able to speak English.

2) our current co-captain is English.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: March 4, 2021, 1:56 pm
Do you realise that

To be fair some of those Lancastrian accents could use subtitles.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I haven’t heard a single word from Williams and Bateman yet..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

CNK and GW are the only players put forward so far that I agree are a chance.

Have to see what happens over the next couple of years.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Do you realise that

1) Apparently Scottish people are able to speak English too. I have relatives in Glasgow. I can confirm that the language barrier is real.

2) It's nice of Ricky to throw Hodgo a bone for his on-field impact. Kudos to the coach - he's a nice guy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2021, 2:00 pm
Do you realise that

To be fair some of those Lancastrian accents could use subtitles.
Did you see the Canberra Mitsubishi dealership ad by John Bateman, where they added subtitles? :lol:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... e325de8373
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

I reckon Hudson Young would be a great choice.

In 3 years he'll be an experienced first grader, most certainly an Origin player, and from what I've read he's a natural leader.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I agree with everything you are saying.

But honestly, I feel like I am one of the few on this site who actually would pick sia and likes the line speed and aggression that he brings in his role on the field. Not only that, I would bring him on for a second stint.

IMO if he was 26 and doing the exact same thing on the field as he does now people would be clamouring over sia, but our fan bases collective 20 year rebuilding phase hasnt quite cleared the conciousness.

Back on topic, right now I would lean towards CNK being the man.