Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 15

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by simo »

Yap wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:06 pm Was it just me who had a tear in their eye when Ryan James, a Raiders fan as a kid, coming off 2 years without playing a game due to knee injuries and scores a try in his comeback game.

Geez he will be an asset to the team if he stays injury free!!!
Nope even he looked like he did. So happy for him
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yap wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:06 pm Was it just me who had a tear in their eye when Ryan James, a Raiders fan as a kid, coming off 2 years without playing a game due to knee injuries and scores a try in his comeback game.

Geez he will be an asset to the team if he stays injury free!!!
I was pretty happy for James, and thought he was pretty good for us today
But that sort of emotional state for me came when Kris scored... gutted it got overturned. But im so damn happy for that kid to come back from where he was and here in FG living his dream again.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Sutton's pretty much a lock to get you at least 100 metres each game, regardless of the opponent. If you look at the numbers from last year or the year before, the same can't be said about guys like Soliola, Lui, Young, Horsebrah, whose performances and output can fluctuate quite a bit.

It's that kind of surety that a coach would want - not to mention his huge motor and ability to handle big defensive loads. We play a fairly simple game, so when you boil it down, metres are absolutely king. For me he's the first middle picked on the bench no matter who's available (unless he starts, replacing Papa or Taps), and I feel Sticky's starting to look at it the same way.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

always thought the benches would be the difference and they clearly were, Sutton, Soliola and James just drove through

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Be interesting the make up of our 2-5 over the next couple of years with Croker and Rapa on the older side of things and Kris, Timoko, Valemei and HSS part of our squad, as well as Scott and Simo who seem to be preferred atm. 8 does not go into 4.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Sutton has to be in the team every week...Geez we have a lot of middles. Good luck picking the side every week Stick
dopplerradar
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: clinton schifcofske

Ricky lost for words

Post by dopplerradar »

Is nuanced the word he was looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Raider47 wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:23 pm Be interesting the make up of our 2-5 over the next couple of years with Croker and Rapa on the older side of things and Kris, Timoko, Valemei and HSS part of our squad, as well as Scott and Simo who seem to be preferred atm. 8 does not go into 4.
We are 100% going to lose a few players...The depth is unbelievable at the moment. Just can't see all of them being happy waiting in the wings
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Ryan James' return sparks Canberra Raiders win over Wests Tigers

It was the Cinderella story 693 days in the waiting. Ryan James barging over to ignite a Canberra Raiders second half comeback. It sparked the Green Machine to a 30-12 victory over the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

"It was good for him. It was a nice way to start the second half," Stuart said. "But it was just nice for Ryan James, from an individual point of view, that he got through an NRL game with his new club."

CANBERRA RAIDERS 30 (Jordan Rapana 2, Ryan James, Hudson Young, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad tries; George Williams 5 goals) bt WESTS TIGERS 12 (Jacob Liddle, David Nofoaluma tries; Luke Brooks 2 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Gerard Sutton. Crowd: 15,680.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Sebastian Kris gives Jarrod Croker time to get 100 per cent right

It's the form that gives Ricky Stuart the luxury of waiting until Jarrod Croker's fully fit. Stuart knows he can rely on Sebastian Kris at left centre while the Canberra Raiders co-captain gets himself 100 per cent ready.

"It's lovely to be able to replace a player like Jarrod with Seb and it gave me all the confidence last week to sit with Jarrod and say, 'Listen mate, I've got to protect you from you'," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders fans roar back into Canberra Stadium as crowd cap lifts: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14237

MATCH REPORT: Raiders V Tigers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/14/gre ... st-tigers/

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... iders-win/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Ricky Stuart: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-tigers/

TEAM SONG: Raiders v Tigers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -v-tigers/

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Ricky absolutely nails that press conference.. So glad he is our coach
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I loved what Kris did today. He could be a bench player who can fill centre, wing or second row when Croker comes back.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Raider47 wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:23 pm Be interesting the make up of our 2-5 over the next couple of years with Croker and Rapa on the older side of things and Kris, Timoko, Valemei and HSS part of our squad, as well as Scott and Simo who seem to be preferred atm. 8 does not go into 4.
Forgot about Aetkin and Hopoate also
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders666 wrote:
Just can't see all of them being happy waiting in the wings
Some will play centre
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:52 pm
Raiders666 wrote:
Some will play centre
I was waiting for that haha
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Man our halves were lost in the first half. Glad to see it turn around in the second. Need to blast those cobwebs out.
Our pack has started on fire. Going to be a big year.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Great to see Raps back to his best also...Scott and Kris were very good
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders666 wrote:
gangrenous wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:52 pm
Raiders666 wrote:
Some will play centre
I was waiting for that haha
ImageImageImage
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Raiders666 wrote: March 14, 2021, 8:09 pm Great to see Raps back to his best also...Scott and Kris were very good
We were just lacking a touch of polish in the backs. All had some great moments. Just feels like they've got another gear in them once we get a few games into the season.
That leap and pass from Simonsson was classy.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote: We were just lacking a touch of polish in the backs.
We’ve got a touch of Norwegian? Image
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

:D I think it's safe to say we'd still want some winged hussars added.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I... was not expecting to learn about Polish cavalry when I woke up this morning.

That’s why I like The GH
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Same team next week just swap Starling for Lui.. start sia
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:21 pm

Yea maybe bigger wasnt the right term but he just looks like he can hurt you now, With and without the ball. More powerful is what I should have said
He's definitely bigger/stronger than he was. He's a year or so ahead of HSS/Timoko physically and it shows now. The "extra" might also be his mindset is in a good place now too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

julian87 wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:08 pm
Sid wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:06 pm I didn’t know a player could be binned after the final whistle, or any decision really
Deemed a professional foul that ended the game prematurely. Tigers get the penalty and Raiders defend a man down.
A good call by the ref imo and hopefully it is replicated when teams slow down the last set like that when the game is still on the line.
They didn't do it repeatedly when the Tigers were slowing down the game DURING the game. So why expect is AFTER the full time siren? Or if the game is on the line?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Rewatched the Nine coverage this evening. Firstly I can’t understand why Joey Johns didn’t think a couple of Tigers passes were forward when anyone in the side grandstand could see they were both easily well forward.

But Tapine was much much better than I thought live at the ground.

Red Raider made the most insightful call however. Some bad plays, but no bad players for the Raiders.

Our bench is so strong that unless there’s injury one or two of our props will only play 20 minutes.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2021, 10:08 pm
Sid wrote: March 14, 2021, 5:06 pm I didn’t know a player could be binned after the final whistle, or any decision really
Deemed a professional foul that ended the game prematurely. Tigers get the penalty and Raiders defend a man down.
A good call by the ref imo and hopefully it is replicated when teams slow down the last set like that when the game is still on the line.
They didn't do it repeatedly when the Tigers were slowing down the game DURING the game. So why expect is AFTER the full time siren? Or if the game is on the line?
I thought it was for being a professional foul because he was never onside. Nothing to do with slowing it down.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 14, 2021, 10:54 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2021, 10:08 pm
I thought it was for being a professional foul because he was never onside. Nothing to do with slowing it down.
Watching it again, yes I agree.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders666 wrote: March 14, 2021, 7:42 pm Ricky absolutely nails that press conference.. So glad he is our coach
Sure did. Glad the boys responded to his pretty blunt assessment of our attack in the first half. We clearly had the wrong attitude with the ball, trying to go around them rather than through them. Good to see they got the memo in the second half.

Great defence throughout the game, particularly defending the line. He would have been really pleased with that.

Interesting comments about Hodgo too. I thought he was near back to his best.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

There’s no way CHN is forcing his way into this 17.

James, Sutton and Sia holding onto bench spots with solid rnd1 efforts.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote:Thanks for your posts, Nickman. 3 genuine laugh out louds in that lot.
Always happy to be of assistance, Cranky.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2021, 5:05 am There’s no way CHN is forcing his way into this 17.

Not nearly enough versatility in that bench. It was clearly evident to almost everyone that was an issue with the side
We are lucky Simo’s injury wasn’t serious

Someone who can viably play on the edge needs to be on our bench. The only three real options for that are:

Chn starts, young to the bench which allows to maintain three middles but gives flexibility on the edge

Chn on the bench and young staying in the back row , same deal

Or as others have suggested someone like Kris on the bench when Croker returns

But we absolutely cannot be rolling with Havilii and three middles. Any injury to the backs, spine or edge forwards is a forfeited match against any even moderately decent team
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

It’s ludicrous to think we have the two Coreys out looking for a way back in, the forward pack is that stacked, our depth is insane that starting 13 in reserve grade was crazy solid.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Botman wrote: March 15, 2021, 6:05 am
-PJ- wrote: March 15, 2021, 5:05 am There’s no way CHN is forcing his way into this 17.

Not nearly enough versatility in that bench. It was clearly evident to almost everyone that was an issue with the side
We are lucky Simo’s injury wasn’t serious

Someone who can viably play on the edge needs to be on our bench. The only three real options for that are:

Chn starts, young to the bench which allows to maintain three middles but gives flexibility on the edge

Chn on the bench and young staying in the back row , same deal

Or as others have suggested someone like Kris on the bench when Croker returns

But we absolutely cannot be rolling with Havilii and three middles. Any injury to the backs, spine or edge forwards is a forfeited match against any even moderately decent team
Yeah. Point taken.

My point was the form of Young and Sutton yesterday warrant selection. And Ryan James as well. And we still have Guler.

We need to get the balance spot on, there’s many options.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Guler is the worry
He’s imo, better than those three middles but for what ever reason Stuart went with them and they’re going to have to lose their spot for Guler to jump in

At least he’s re-signed
I can’t help but still feel we’re way too middle heavy and too much competition for spots can create its own problem
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah when Simmonson went down I thought we were in trouble. Only watched the 1st half again when I got home, will watch the rest tonight. Ryan James is going to be a good buy for us, pleaseno injuries. He is really hard to stop near the tryline. Hodgson played really well as did Tapine.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017