Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Friday 9 April 7:55pm
Panthers Stadium
Gates open: 5:20pm
NSW Cup: Raiders V Panthers, 5:35pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502, Nine
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Morning fog. Partly cloudy. Patchy morning fog, mainly in the west. Slight (30 per cent) chance of a shower in the evening. Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning then shifting south to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h in the evening. Chance of any rain: 20 per cent. Min 14 Max 29

The Raiders face their biggest test of the season so far, when they head to the foot of the Blue Mountains for a clash with the high flying Penrith Panthers.

Last round: 2021 Round 4. Canberra Raiders 20 - Gold Coast Titans 4. It was a very solid, grinding win for the Canberra Raiders at the Titans' temporary "home" of Kogarah Oval. It was almost all about the defence for the Green Machine. The Titans produced 44 points and seven tries last week against the Cowboys. Against the Raiders, they scored one, single, solitary try. It is not like the Titans did not have opportunities. They had many. But Canberra's defence was simply too committed for them.

More on Round 4: As I saw it

Team news: Joe Tapine (ankle ligaments) returns for the Raiders at lock, with Ryan Sutton shifting to starting prop. Ryan James moves back to the bench, with Josh Papalii taking back his starting prop spot. Dunamis Lui drops to the reserves list. The Panthers top 17 is unchanged.

Late changes: Semi Valemei and Dunamis Lui were omitted from the Raiders squad on Thursday night. Corey Harawira-Naera and Sam Williams remain on the extended bench, with Ricky Stuart indicating Harawira-Naera will be 18th man. The Panthers have cut Robert Jennings and J'maine Hopgood.

Milestone: The Panthers are celebrating the 30th anniversary of their first premiership on the night. They beat the Raiders back in 1991 in the Grand Final. Jarrod Croker is set to surpass the points tally of Andrew Johns - and with one try or goal, will stand alone as the fourth highest point scorer of all time.

History: The Raiders have won 38 matches against the Penrith Panthers, lost 39 and drawn one. Canberra has won four of the past 10 clashes between the clubs, but just two of the past five. In 2018, the Raiders led 22-16 at Canberra Stadium in Round 14, with just over five minutes remaining. A Panthers try leveled the match, and a Nathan Cleary field goal with less than two minutes remaining delivered a 23-22 win for the visitors. That was followed by a 40-31 loss for the Raiders at Penrith in Round 21. In 2019, the Raiders won 30-12 in Round 8 at Wagga Wagga - but it was at a time when the Panthers were struggling. By the time Round 19 came around the Panthers were on a seven game winning streak - and the Raiders popped their bubble, winning 30-18 at Penrith. However, the Raiders could not repeat that feat in 2020, losing 28-12 at Penrith. Canberra was victim No. 8 in a 17 game winning streak for Penrith. The Raiders have won just 13 of 34 matches played at Penrith, with one match drawn at the venue.

2020 Round 13 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

Form: Raiders: LWWLW
Panthers: LWWWW

The Panthers have opened the 2021 season with four straight victories - beating the Cowboys (24-0), Bulldogs (28-0), Storm (12-10) and Sea Eagles (46-6). The Raiders are 3 and 1 this year. They have beaten the Tigers (30-12), Sharks (12-10) and Titans (20-4). Canberra had a controversial, narrow loss to the Warriors (34-31). The difference between the teams in that match proved to be a Warriors try scored from a blatant forward pass - which should have been disallowed, according the NRL head of football, Graham Annesley.

Betting: The Panthers are $1.39 favourites, while the Raiders are paying $3.00. The Raiders have 7.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders have drifted in the market for this game since the weekend.

Stat attack: After a month of football, we are starting to see some trends emerge in the numbers. The Panthers are very clearly the No. 1 team in defence - conceding less than one try per match. They've held two teams scoreless. They're not too bad in attack either, ranking second to the Roosters for tries scored. They rank first in the league for kick return metres, line breaks and tackle breaks - and second for running metres gained. The Raiders sit outside the top four teams in both defence and attack. However, they do rank third for tackle breaks and equal fourth for line breaks.

2021 Season record: Raiders 3 and 1 (5th, +33)
Panthers 4 and 0 (1st, +94)

Attack: Raiders 23 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked equal 7th on tries scored
Panthers 28 points and 5 tries scored per match, ranked 2rd on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 15 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked 6th on fewest tries conceded
Panthers 4 points and 1 try conceded per match, ranked 1st on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Panthers 55 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 76 per cent, Panthers 79 per cent

Running: Raiders 1595 running metres from 176 runs (14 dummy half runs), 142 kick return metres, 608 post contact metres per match
Panthers 1862 running metres from 203 runs (5 dummy half runs), 254 kick return metres, 606 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 34, Panthers 40 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 5, Panthers 6 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Panthers 4 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Panthers 4 per match

Offloads: Raiders 5, Panthers 9 per match

Kicking: Raiders 578 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Panthers 647 kicking metres from 24 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 346 made, 30 missed, 21 ineffective per match, 87 per cent tackle efficiency
Panthers 327 made, 21 missed, 12 ineffective per match, 91 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1482, Panthers 1203 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 12, Panthers 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Panthers 5 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 5, Panthers 4 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 5, Panthers 3 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 3, Panthers 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Jack Wighton and Jarome Luai: Jack Wighton was the Dally M Player of the Year and Five eighth of the Year in 2020 - and shared the Meninga Medal. However, he has had a quieter start to 2021, with his opponent this week, Jarome Luai, producing slightly better numbers so far. The Raiders' spine is still working on combinations, after the return of Josh Hodgson - and that is probably having an impact. Luai is a different player to Wighton. He's got six try assists so far, but he likes to run too. However, he mostly leaves the kicking to Nathan Cleary. Luai's still produced two forced line drop outs (Wighton one). Wighton is a great defender in the halves, but Luai is no slouch there either. In 2021, Luai has posted 87 tackles and 89 per cent tackle efficiency, compared with Wighton's 85 tackles and 87 per cent tackle efficiency.

George Williams and Nathan Cleary: Raiders half George Williams has made a big impact since arriving in the NRL last year - but he has a tough assignment coming up against Nathan Cleary this week. Cleary was the Dally M Halfback of the Year in 2020. In 2021 he's pretty much picked up where he left off - though he has missed one match due to a head knock. He controls everything the Panthers do... and his kicking game is absolutely outstanding. Williams' numbers for 2021 compare pretty well and he is the better defensive player for mine. Williams has averaged 24 tackles per game this year (Cleary 16). Should be a great contest.

Hudson Young and Viliame Kikau: Hudson Young's mission for Friday night? Stop Viliame Kikau. And I think Young can do it. Kikau is a big, and very dangerous in attack. But Hudson Young has a very good defensive game - and since taking over John Bateman's starting spot, he's not looking too bad in attack as well.

Josh Papalii and James Fisher-Harris: These two players were the Dally M Props of the Year in 2020. Papalii is the best prop in the game in my view. But the Panthers rate their man just as highly. Penrith is reportedly set to offer a five year extension to their 25 year old prop, a deal that would be worth $5 million over the next seven years. Papalii is still working his way into the season, but overall big Papa's numbers are still better than those of Fisher-Harris. Big Papa wins this match-up.

Our tip: The Panthers are deserved favourites in this match. They are on a four game winning streak, playing in home in front of a packed house. Most of the team stats stack up in favour of Penrith - and tell a story which is very similar to the one told prior to the 2020 clash between the teams. The Raiders showed they are building their defence - but the attack is clunky. The Panthers have both attack and defence in good shape already. The Raiders have the capability to improve over the season - and Grand Finals are not played in Round 5. But right now, it's difficult to see anything other than a Penrith win in this one.

Ricky Stuart will remember the way in which his team gave the Panthers a lesson in 2019. The Panthers were flying back then. That day, it was a case of defensive resolve frustrating flashy attack - laying the platform for the Raiders' own attacking opportunities. A repeat is certainly possible. But the head says Panthers by 10. Hopefully, I'm very wrong.

What they're saying:

Ryan James: "We haven't even put in an 80-minute performance yet. We've put in a couple of good halves, and our defence has probably won us a lot of games. Once we really connect and start to do the things we're supposed to do, we can really go to another level. If you can not play your best footy and win, you're doing something right."

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Friday night's match against the Penrith Panthers at BlueBet Stadium. Joe Tapine returns to the 17 this week at lock, which sees Ryan Sutton shift to the front row and Dunamis Lui moved to the extended bench. Curtis Scott will miss at least another match with a rib injury, with Seb Kris remaining at centre. Sam Williams, Semi Valemei and Corey Harawira-Naera join Lui on the extended bench.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Siliva Havili
16. Sia Soliola
17. Ryan James

18. Sam Williams
21. Corey Harawira-Naera

Injury/Suspension
Curtis Scott, Ribs, (Rd 6)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps tendon (Rd 20-22)

Penrith Panthers

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Charlie Staines
3. Paul Momirovski
4. Matt Burton
5. Brian To'o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary (c)
8. Moses Leota
9. Mitch Kenny
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Isaah Yeo (c)

14. Tyrone May
15. Spencer Leniu
16. Matt Eienhuth
17. Liam Martin

18. Scott Sorensen
21. Jaeman Salmon

Injury/Suspension

Dylan Edwards, Hand (Rd 8)
Api Koroisau, Wrist (Rd 8-10)

Officials

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Touch judges: Todd Smith, Phil Henderson
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Junior Representatives teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLPanthersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
PJC01
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mullins

Re: 2021 Rd 5 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by PJC01 »

Would be brilliant to give the panthers their first loss,but this is going to be a real indication oh where we are,are we legit,or are we making up the numbers.
At the moment I’m not convinced we are legit my opinion and I’m entitled to it.
Don’t get Butthurt at honesty you bunch of sooks,not al of you but the sooks know who they are!
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Phil Gould said the panthers would smash the Raiders on 100% last night. Not sure why I watch that show
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 6, 2021, 11:05 am Phil Gould said the panthers would smash the Raiders on 100% last night. Not sure why I watch that show Image
Who’s Phil Gould ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote:Phil Gould said the panthers would smash the Raiders on 100% last night. Not sure why I watch that show Image
I think more precisely he said “Panther flog Raider”. If anyone can explain the lack of s’s, I wouldn’t exactly be grateful, but I’d have some interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think we're gonna prove Gould wrong on this one. I don't agree with the assessment that Penrith is the form team of the competition. Good team but they've played three games against bottom 4 sides and one against Melbourne in terrible conditions. I think many under rate our side... this game should be the Panthers' biggest test so far this season as long as we play properly.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders play Panthers once this year, it's a good a time as any to be coming against them. Raiders missing 1 centre while Panthers are missing half their spine, Korisau in particular is a big out. I think we are in with a shot, however Panthers have only lost like 1 in their last 20 games and have only given away 16 points this year, so it will be a big test.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Less then 2000 tickets left , if you want to come buy now
Vaccinated
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I definitely feel like we're in the sort of mood to spring an upset here.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:Raiders play Panthers once this year, it's a good a time as any to be coming against them. Raiders missing 1 centre while Panthers are missing half their spine, Korisau in particular is a big out. I think we are in with a shot, however Panthers have only lost like 1 in their last 20 games and have only given away 16 points this year, so it will be a big test.

Yep, Api carved us last time

Was a big reason we were down so much so early

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!! According to the odds, upset of the round tonight at
The foot of the blue mountains.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Panthers home record is astonishing

Edrick The Entertainer
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day Blowhards!
Caarrn Raiders!
Mullos
Gary Coyne

Post by Mullos »

Seems now to be a sell out, 20K hopefully plenty of green in the crowd. I think we need to start fast similar to the melbourne game in melbourne last year to have a chance. Really need Jack and George to step up tonight. Forwards need to dominate early.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

C'arn you Raiders!!

Let's not get carried away with Penrith's form. They have flogged the 14th, 15th and 16th ranked teams and only just beat the Storm by 2. They are without their first choice hooker and fullback.

It's only April, but we need to demonstrate our premiership credentials here.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m hoping to see CHN in for Starling. Provides a point of difference in the running forward group and makes the team a bit less rigid imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

To win we need a few things to happen IMO:

1. Jack to be at his best
2. Kris to see better ball
3. CHN to come in for Starling
4. Hodgo to largely do away with being the 5th tackle option inside their 20, giving the pill more to George to force repeat sets
5. Crichton to be targeted heavily

I think it's imperative that we attack and attack early. We're not going to beat this mob solely grinding and trying to hold them off.
Last edited by afgtnk on April 9, 2021, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Ricky has already named CHN as 18th man, I believe he will stick with that. I’m expecting the first 17 named to play, possibly with positions moving around (e.g. something like Tapine from the bench, Soliola to start)

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Anyone know what the rule is on 18th men? How late can that be changed?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Team list needs to be in an hour before

If there's an injury in the warmup then they notify the ground manager for an exemption to change the list

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Big game tonight, guys! Let's for one night shelve all possible excuses regarding travel mishaps, refereeing decisions, getting to the ground late etc etc and just focus on playing our best football and coming away with the win?

Let's for once just win or lose based on our own merits... put all that other **** in the bin where it belongs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: April 9, 2021, 8:41 am Anyone know what the rule is on 18th men? How late can that be changed?
Under the new rule, must be notified an hour before, must be from the squad of 19.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Pretty excited for this, should be a ripper.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Expect fisticuffs tonight in honour of the late Tommy Raudonikis... both on the field and at my local!

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: April 9, 2021, 11:00 am Expect fisticuffs tonight in honour of the late Tommy Raudonikis... both on the field and at my local!

Anyone who brings up how good Sutto is going, AMIRITE??
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Big test for us tonight.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 9, 2021, 8:41 am Anyone know what the rule is on 18th men? How late can that be changed?
Under the new rule, must be notified an hour before, must be from the squad of 19.
Thanks GE and TW
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: April 9, 2021, 10:10 am Big game tonight, guys! Let's for one night shelve all possible excuses regarding travel mishaps, refereeing decisions, getting to the ground late etc etc and just focus on playing our best football and coming away with the win?

Let's for once just win or lose based on our own merits... put all that other **** in the bin where it belongs.

No.
We can't.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Pamfers have racked up 3 of their wins vs teams that still have zero wins to their credit this season...

Missing a FB and hooker... still a strong side but Raiders should be sensing ambush here. Hit 'em hard early with our best pack Ricky, see if he can't get their halves on the back foot. See if they can be unsettled by some pressure.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ryan James to start with instructions to get in Cleary's face?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:
Sid wrote: April 9, 2021, 11:00 am Expect fisticuffs tonight in honour of the late Tommy Raudonikis... both on the field and at my local!

Anyone who brings up how good Sutto is going, AMIRITE??
Spot on so far!

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2021, 12:58 pm Ryan James to start with instructions to get in Cleary's face?
And it’s a big face..AMIRITE????
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm worried PJ