Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: May 31, 2021, 10:08 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
But for the sake of your exercise, Souths have gone through Maguire, Seibold and Bennett in the time Ricky has been at the club. And they have for the most part been a top 4 club and secured a premiership.

In the same period Manly have gone through Hasler, Toovey, Barrett, Hasler over the last decade and have won a comp, been to a grand final and made multiple finals runs and will be competing finals again this year.

And over the last decade Cowboys have gone through Henry, Green and now Payten. They replaced Henry despite making the finals 3 years in a row and were rewarded with a premiership and grand final appearance and two further finals appearances under Green. After 2 underperforming years they replaced Green, and look very improved this year and I reckon they will return to the finals.
Your first two examples are replacing a premiership winning coach to ummm... not win any more premierships. You really got me.
Very strange to be running with a “premiership or bust” line whilst simultaneously advocating the retention of a coach who has not delivered one in 8 seasons and no sign of one any time soon.
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Mole reports about an under pressure coach losing his mind. Thank goodness we have harmony in the Raiders dressing room!

Coach’s shed blow up

An angry coach who is already off with much of his squad lost a few more friends among the players after a stunning recent incident in the sheds.

At a mid-week rehab session, a player was getting a massage and as he was doing so, was quietly watching a horse race on his phone.

The coach was walking past at the time and flew into a rage, grabbing the phone off the shocked player and flinging it across the room.

Coaches are under massive pressure - I get that - and this bloke hasn't been winning… but that sort of over-the-top behaviour won't do anything to make an unhappy camp whole again.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-cronu ... 6e9e92ad14

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wasn't Sticky. He would have been watching the same race.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I wouldnt worry, if that's Sticky throwing the phone across the room it was probably because he had some money on a good roughie and it got the grand piano on the home straight
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

woppadingo wrote: June 1, 2021, 12:39 am
Mr Squiggle wrote: May 31, 2021, 7:25 pm Release anyone who wants to go and promote the best options from reserve grade and fill the roster with some bargains or diamonds in the rough.
I haven;t been to any games yet but my mate has watched a lot of reggies and reckons they are woeful. Valemei far and away their best. Worried about what that means abou HSS and Timoko?
HSS has only played two NSW Cup games, been on the sidelines since Round 3 with a biceps injury.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:The Mole reports about an under pressure coach losing his mind. Thank goodness we have harmony in the Raiders dressing room!

Coach’s shed blow up

An angry coach who is already off with much of his squad lost a few more friends among the players after a stunning recent incident in the sheds.

At a mid-week rehab session, a player was getting a massage and as he was doing so, was quietly watching a horse race on his phone.

The coach was walking past at the time and flew into a rage, grabbing the phone off the shocked player and flinging it across the room.

Coaches are under massive pressure - I get that - and this bloke hasn't been winning… but that sort of over-the-top behaviour won't do anything to make an unhappy camp whole again.

Probably Madge or Adam O'Brien

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: June 1, 2021, 11:36 am
T_R wrote:The Mole reports about an under pressure coach losing his mind. Thank goodness we have harmony in the Raiders dressing room!

Coach’s shed blow up

Most likely O'Brien. Knights were having a horror run before the weekend. Looks like the phone throwing did the trick too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 31, 2021, 10:08 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
But for the sake of your exercise, Souths have gone through Maguire, Seibold and Bennett in the time Ricky has been at the club. And they have for the most part been a top 4 club and secured a premiership.

In the same period Manly have gone through Hasler, Toovey, Barrett, Hasler over the last decade and have won a comp, been to a grand final and made multiple finals runs and will be competing finals again this year.

And over the last decade Cowboys have gone through Henry, Green and now Payten. They replaced Henry despite making the finals 3 years in a row and were rewarded with a premiership and grand final appearance and two further finals appearances under Green. After 2 underperforming years they replaced Green, and look very improved this year and I reckon they will return to the finals.
Your first two examples are replacing a premiership winning coach to ummm... not win any more premierships. You really got me.
Very strange to be running with a “premiership or bust” line whilst simultaneously advocating the retention of a coach who has not delivered one in 8 seasons and no sign of one any time soon.
I’m not running that line. I’m using your own line against you:
Mickey_Raider wrote:Id say the general argument against your proposition is that he has already had 2 rebuilds, 8 years in the saddle and not delivered a premiership.
Mickey_Raider wrote:He will also be going into his 9th season at the Raiders next year. That is at least 2-3x more than most NRL coaches are afforded in order to deliver a premiership.
So if a premiership isn’t a be all and end all, why would you be so quick to sack a coach with 3 prelims in the prior 5 years with 20 years prior in the wilderness?

My argument is you don’t punt him and hope. Either you have someone in mind who you reasonably believe is a step up, or you work from what you have which history says is a damn sight better than most of what you’re switching in otherwise.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Stuart came in 2014, with the club at a very low point. He then went on to 3 prelims in 5 years. This is a decent record at any club, let alone the Raiders who last played a prelim final in 1995 (excluding Super League).

In saying that, he has clearly botched this season so far:

* The lack of conditioning reeks to me of a team who assumed they would make the semi finals and aim to “peak” then. There is no doubt we play a slow, tired game.
* Stuart has been known to give the senior players a lot of say in how the team has run. This is fine when the team is performing well, but can be tricky if things go south. When the same players were underperforming, he has handled it extremely poorly, and got most of them offside. To try and win the PR war, he has leaked to journalists and made the situation worse. Other coaches, in particular Robinson and Bellamy, keep dealings in house, and back their senior players to rediscover form (Jake Friend being a pertinent example - he was being boo’d by his own fans, and Robinson backed him).
* Our attack structure is abysmal. I don’t buy the narrative that we had no structure in 2016. Wighton had a bucketload of try involvements that year, all coming from good structure, players in movement and hole running. Yes - there was the adlib play as well (Leipana, Austin), but that was supported by good structure.
* Our defence has fallen off a cliff. Some of that is down to CNK’s absence, but plenty is also due to a clear lack of physicality and desire to win collisions, constantly battling for field position and conceding points in blocks.

Stuart deserves the time to try and get some of this right, but he got a lot wrong this season.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:

Coach’s shed blow up

Most likely O'Brien. Knights were having a horror run before the weekend. Looks like the phone throwing did the trick too.
My first thought was Croker was watching his horse run, but you’re right, Stick would have asked him to scootch over and make room.

I’ll say O’Brien, for no other reason than I imagine Newcastle is a bit of a horse place, on account of its proximity to Scone… I might be overthinking it
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2021, 10:03 am I wouldnt worry, if that's Sticky throwing the phone across the room it was probably because he had some money on a good roughie and it got the grand piano on the home straight
Or there was a plastic chair across the room that really, really deserved it.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 3, 2021, 7:48 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Coach’s shed blow up

My first thought was Croker was watching his horse run, but you’re right, Stick would have asked him to scootch over and make room.

I’ll say O’Brien, for no other reason than I imagine Newcastle is a bit of a horse place, on account of its proximity to Scone… I might be overthinking it
Definitely overthinking. Most NRL players love a punt. :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If it's O'Brien that 'don't you know who I am' incident has really got to him.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 3, 2021, 7:48 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Coach’s shed blow up

Definitely overthinking. Most NRL players love a punt. Image
forget Scone, Newcastle racecourse is right near their ground, the trots track is next door.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

O'Brien was also the guy who was outed for pulling the "do you know who i am" on some punter at a race meet because he'd done his ****... so perhaps he's still scarred from it
https://www.zerotackle.com/dont-you-kno ... 20-100410/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sounds more like Rocky Stewart to me.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

omg @ the Tim Gore article on TheRoar.com.au: https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/06/03/r ... st-future/

he must be good mates with Ricky....
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

mongoose wrote: June 3, 2021, 12:19 pm omg @ the Tim Gore article on TheRoar.com.au: https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/06/03/r ... st-future/

TL;DR

Ricky and Furner bleed a lot of green.

Ricky and Furner are just victims of outrageous bad luck since 2019 with injuries, COVID and a restive playing group.

Once more for the road, Ricky and Furner bleed green and we should be grateful that they don’t want to move to a warmer climate.

The end.
Up The Milk
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

mongoose wrote: June 3, 2021, 12:19 pm omg @ the Tim Gore article on TheRoar.com.au: https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/06/03/r ... st-future/

It just doesn’t get any sillier than that…
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Ignoring the club has a whole hasn't been able to attract an actual "star" player to it in decades (we got a bunch of before they were stars or at best protentional stars, I don't think we have ever signed anyone after they were a known star player unless they were a nearly retired star player), has Stuart himself EVER signed a star player (genuine question)?

We don't seem to have the ability the Storm have to turn players into stars or at least above average players on a whim, we can't sign already established stars like the Roosters, we can't even hold on to most of the decent players we have discovered or lucked into. We seem to waste all our money on "loyalty" which is nuts considering the total lack of it we get back from any player ever. When are we going to actually sign someone who is an established star or at least emerging star player? The closest we have ever gotten was Tedesco before he walked back from the deal.

BTW this is how much of a bunch of sadists the guys running the website are... We still have it up there:
https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2014/05 ... s-tedesco/
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

The extension

Post by Lucy »

After that season changing game play and sensational top of the table, finals driving win, how long is Ricky's extension on Monday going to be for?

I'm thinking 5 more years. Surely?

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Re: The Extension.

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Just enjoy the win, have a few bevies and go to bed mate.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lucy wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:43 pm After that season changing game play and sensational top of the table, finals driving win, how long is Ricky's extension on Monday going to be for?

I'm thinking 5 more years. Surely?

*Rocky
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Mickey_Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:46 pm Just enjoy the win, have a few bevies and go to bed mate.
Sound advice for all.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: The extension

Post by afgtnk »

Supporters site?

More like bag out all the players and the coach site.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: The extension

Post by 1992 »

afgtnk wrote: June 13, 2021, 3:05 am Supporters site?

More like bag out all the players and the coach site.
Hahahaha. I just got that.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

He's actually done well, so far as least, to avoid complete capitulation after the GWilly saga. I thought he'd lost some players but they generally looked happy. Two players apparently in the thick of it, Hodgson and Papa, looked fit and willing
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Also according to Kent on NRL360 Tapine will not be joining the Roosters and it's sorted
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:29 pm Also according to Kent on NRL360 Tapine will not be joining the Roosters and it's sorted
Lui's in the 17 again and all is well
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

My understanding is that certain players within the playing group didn't take kindly to Lui being dropped after 2 wins early in the season.

This started the rot within "the Band"...and we basically had ourselves a internal civil war between the Coach and that playing group...

It looks like BBQ 2.0 + some warranted open discussion between the coach and the Band has resolved a lot of the issues....hopefully we see an uptick in performances...

Clearly there has been some acknowledgement from both sides that things should have been done better and there seems to be an understanding that standards were not met.

Anyway, a happy group is a better performing group so I'm glad it has been resolved.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We’ve won 3 of our last 5.

Beat Dogs (16th)
Smashed the bye.
Beat Donkeys (15th)

Stick has it sorted.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote: June 16, 2021, 2:18 pm We’ve won 3 of our last 5.

Beat Dogs (16th)
Smashed the bye.
Beat Donkeys (15th)

Stick has it sorted.
Back on track baby!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: June 16, 2021, 2:18 pm We’ve won 3 of our last 5.

Beat Dogs (16th)
Smashed the bye.
Beat Donkeys (15th)

Stick has it sorted.
Should be enough for Rick to walk into Don’s office and come out with another 5 years extended onto his contract you’d have thought
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yeah sack him I think, I'm done. Just look absolutely brainless