Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Coaching issues

Post by Ultima »

Listening to his after match media bit, he knows he **** up not having a back (only took him six weeks), he knows some people are letting the team down (but refuses to drop people, refused to even acknowledge changes in the team when asked if there will be), he wants to "give Starling a go for numerous reasons"?

Just so many questions really...

Is Stuart trying to do too much? Is he over complicating it trying to go with some game plan the players are just never going to be able to execute? Why is he so insistent on needing four forwards when both Sutton and Papalii can and have played extended minutes with-out too much of a problem. Why do we have more forward experience than any other club, yet we are constantly losing the metres game? Why was James dropped? Why do we keep persisting with Soliola who has been well below par? Starling is great but we can't carry him on the bench if Hodgson is going to play 80 and when we have a capable backup in Havili should Hodgson go down. Is Horsburgh playing like garbage in reserves or something? What the hell happened to Lui who actually looked pretty good at times last year? Does the team actually practice basics like passing? All we seem to try is crash balls, bombs, kicking directly into their legs/hands, why are we allergic to repeat sets???

Why do we keep up this all forward bench rotation, yet numerous times this year we have given players a single sub-twenty five minute run?

Round 1 - All forwards, Lui 17 minutes, Havili 23 minutes.
Round 2 - All forwards, Havili 19 minutes, Lui 21 minutes.
Round 3 - All forwards, *all the forced issues with injuries means this one doesn't count really (James 3, Tapine 10, Kris 13)
Round 4 - All forwards, Starling 5 minutes, Lui 17 minutes.
Round 5 - All forwards, First game with all players doing at least 25 minutes, possibly only because CNK went down so early.
Round 6 - All forwards, Starling 17 minutes, Soliola 24 minutes.

Time we had a player expected to play 80 not:
Round 1 - Simonsson 78
Round 3 - Kris 13
Round 5 - CNK 23, Hodgson 65
Round 6 - Simonsson 50, Hodgson 63

I do believe a lot of the problems are in the forwards right now as we have so many other options we haven't even tried. The backs aren't a picnic either... We have less options there but surely someone has to fall on their sword and sit on the bench at least right? The only back I have as a lock right now is Aekins, everyone else is fighting for their position big time (although we should obviously have a spot on the bench for one of them!).

Stats for our backs (who aren't injured and have played more than one game):
Simonsson (6 games) - 1 Try Assist, 13 Tackle Breaks, 0 Line Breaks, 33 Tackles, 9 Missed (75.3%), Average metres 99
Scott (4 games) - 1 Try Assist, 5 Tackle Breaks, 1 Line Break, 39 Tackles, 6 Missed (76.7%), Average metres 85
Croker (4 games) - 1 Try Assist, 2 Tackle Breaks, 2 Line Breaks, 35 Tackles, 13 Missed (68.8%), Average metres 61
Rapana (6 games) - 1 Try Assist, 31 Tackle Breaks, 4 Line Breaks, 24 Tackles, 2 Missed (86.5%), Average metres 152
Wighton (6 games) - 1 Forced Repeat Set (...), 1 Try Assist (yeah, one...), 2 Line Break Assists, 132 Tackles, 16 Missed (87.9%), Average metres 76
Williams (6 games) - 3 Forced Repeat Sets, 4 Try Assists, 5 Line Break Assists, 137 Tackles, 20 missed (85.3%), Average metres 43

Not good enough across the board basically... Stuart's plan seems to be hope we just magically click into gear...
Last edited by Ultima on May 8, 2021, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: Stuart Issues

Post by papabear »

Stuart turned us from a basket case into a force.

However our game and players look tired and slow.

Honestly, I miss Aidan Sezer , he consistently passed the ball, as a football team we are a team that runs and runs and runs with no nice passing happening.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It actually feels like Stuart is losing the dressing room the last 2 games. The effort has been really poor which is the most alarming

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Our grinding style of play does not suit the way the game is going with the new rules...Ricky needs to do something fast
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Last night was the result we sorely needed. Hopefully it jolts Ricky out his complacency and helps him realise that you only get away with dreadful tactics and bizarre player selections for so long before you get found out. Last night Ricky was found out. Will be interesting to see how he responds, whether he spites the public and continues to play three hookers and a frail, aging Sia. Whether he continues selecting Croker on the basis of oily sentiment like loyalty, brotherhood and mateship rather than performance. Or whether he learns from his mistakes, accepts his shortcomings and endeavours to rectify the glaring weaknesses in the side. My fear with Ricky is that he is so enamoured with his own sense of loyalty and protecting the club culture that he is incapable of making cold hard decisions in the interests of the club and supporters. Sometimes you just gotta rip the band aid off.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Raiders666 wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:48 am Our grinding style of play does not suit the way the game is going with the new rules...Ricky needs to do something fast
I disagree. The grinding style works we just dont have the players to execute it anymore. How many tries to did BJ, Cotric and old Rapana score simply by bludgeoning their way to the tryline? Our problem is squarely the chicken legs in the outside backs, who provide absolutely no attacking threat at all. We know Stuart lacks tactical nous like some of the elite coaches so honestly we are stuck with his “grinding” style since that’s really the only thing he knows.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah I said last week that it has become apparent that Ricky doesn't know what to do with the plethora of forwards he has amassed...
He doesn't know his best team.
And I got shot down because apparently he see's everything in training and is making these "decisions" off the back of what he see's in training...
Well Ricky's eyes must be painted on.
Now he has the added problem of knowing we need wholesale changes, but practically unable to do so because of the "good bloke" factor.

Monday morning should start with a series of 1:1 meetings..

9:00am - Croker (welcome to reserve grade starter pack)
9:15am - Hodgo (welcome to impact forward/utility role off the bench)
10:00am - Rapana (Thanks for your service, but your in reggies now)
10:15am - Simmo (see Rapana)
10.30am - Sia (see Rapana)
10.45am - Tea break
11:00am - Havilli (see Rapana)
11.15am - Whitehead (see Rapana)

That's if were being honest...
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

LastRaider wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:37 am It actually feels like Stuart is losing the dressing room the last 2 games. The effort has been really poor which is the most alarming

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yep, attitude reflects leadership.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We’re shipping off Whitehead now too?

Cool. Cool.
:roflmao
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:03 am We’re shopping off Whitehead now too?
Two weeks in a row missing easy tackles... barely any influence from the attacking side..

Starting to resemble Shaun Fensom...
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

GreenMachine wrote:
Two weeks in a row missing easy tackles... barely any influence from the attacking side..

He has two bad game while being moved to the centres and now he has to go ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Elcaptcroker wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:28 am
GreenMachine wrote:

He has two bad game while being moved to the centres and now he has to go ImageImageImage

Game is getting past him a little now, he was pretty poor in the 2020 finals series and it’s stemmed into 2021. He is only averaging 64 metres per game, you need a lot more from you edges...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

UncleDrew wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:31 am
GreenMachine wrote:

Game is getting past him a little now, he was pretty poor in the 2020 finals series and it’s stemmed into 2021. He is only averaging 64 metres per game, you need a lot more from you edges...
Don’t bother...
Most people here are around 6 weeks behind... like our coach.
They’ll come around once the “CNK is injured” excuse runs thin..
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I watched the presser, I don't know what Stick is on about with individuals. I don't think that game was about poor individual efforts, more structural/inherent problems such as lack of speed, poor options etc

He almost certainly won't drop them anyway, he mentioned wanting to see "improvement" and said "I didn't say changes"

He also confirmed he thinks Havili can cover back row! 🤦
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders666 wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:48 am Our grinding style of play does not suit the way the game is going with the new rules...Ricky needs to do something fast
I agree. He won't though. This year will be pain until he finally accepts it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:47 am He also confirmed he thinks Havili can cover back row! 🤦
Catastrophic evaluation of the player and his physical abilities
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 10:16 am
Canberra Milk wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:47 am He also confirmed he thinks Havili can cover back row! 🤦
Catastrophic evaluation of the player and his physical abilities
Yep. He's a solid fill in middle in an injury crisis or as a hooker with versatility. But he's a human rubic's cube, not mobile enough for edge. Utterly senseless when if we'd had Kris there we wouldn't be discombobulated every time a back went down OR he's strong enough carry + tackle to actually be a decent edge forward himself if needed.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

GreenMachine wrote:

Whitehead is sacrosanct around here. He has always averaged about 64 meters game. His carries have always averaged 7-8m with no line bend. But he’s a top bloke and throws dummies and stuff. Like I said, sacrosanct, critical evaluation of a players strengths and weaknesses forbidden.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Northern Raider »

No question Whitehead needs to get more involved in attack. We're not using him enough. Of course if the opportunity isn't coming to him he needs to go looking for it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:36 am
GreenMachine wrote:

Whitehead is sacrosanct around here. He has always averaged about 64 meters game. His carries have always averaged 7-8m with no line bend. But he’s a top bloke and throws dummies and stuff. Like I said, sacrosanct, critical evaluation of a players strengths and weaknesses forbidden.
He led the league in his position for line breaks for a long time last year and ended the year equal 2nd for linebreaks among 2nd rowers. I think he's a fair way down the list of problems. Is the bigger issue that Whitehead is a bit too old now to cover in the centres and play well? Or the coach who doesn't pick a back on the bench? And who also doesn't pick the other international backrower on the books who actually has played centre in his career?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Coaching issues

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahaha Elliott Whitehead is now the **** problem, is he?

That’ll deadset do me, the hottest of hot takes right there.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

A number of years ago on this forum I compared Rick to Dennis Denuto from The Castle.

Last night’s press conference takes me back to that comparison. The bloke either has no idea what he’s on about, or he does know what the problem is but knows he doesn’t have the testicular fortitude to overcome his veteran deference blind spot.

Now if he was on the hot seat, he might be forced into some self-scouting and perhaps some improvement, modernisation, innovation in the way he coaches rugby league. However this is the nepotistic Raiders we are talking about - we all know just as much as Rick does, he has a job for life here. He will be leaving the coaching role when he chooses and not a day before then.

So buckle up sports fans, because there’s a lot more face-shoving to come before we see any light at the end of this tunnel
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

I still think that we have one of the better squads which could potentially compete for a premiership but we're clearly no chance as long as Ricky is making what the majority of Raiders supporters can see are horrible team selections. So much talk about competition for spots and pressure to perform but the only person who's been dropped on performance is Lui, who hasn't been given much of a chance this year (20 minutes a game??), so competition for spots seems to just be talk.

He's infuriatingly intent on keeping Rapana, a career right winger, on the left where he's not natural and is botching try after try and the worst part of this is that he's moved him there to accommodate LEFT wingers on the right! Cotric always performed outside of Croker but was moved to and kept on the right last year and now Simonsson is the same - started his career on the left, looked decent, and now he's in Rapana's rightful position because... ?

The bench selections have been horrible and Ricky isn't learning. I don't think Sia was in anyone's top 17 at the start of the year and now he's held a place in all 6 games. I don't think he's a big problem but neither is he the solution. Starling vs Havilii for the #14 jersey was debated throughout the offseason and im pretty sure not a single person on here expected them BOTH to be named.

Our defence does not look as tight this year and our attack is still as clunky as ever so something needs to be adjusted on the coaching front and that's the hard part. The easy part is to at least make best use of the squad on hand, reward performance, drop under-performance and pick a balanced side in their best positions each week.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Rapana on the left thing really is one of the most bizarre instances of coaching stubbornness I think I’ve ever seen. It just makes no sense at all.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Whitehead is not a metre eater, that's absolutely true. He's barely a pass mark in that department. But he never has been. He's best inside the opposition 20, and when the ball is shifted wide in attack. He's also excellent in defence and in effort plays
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I know i shouldnt be surprised but i am... i really didnt see Whitehead in the crosshairs as a take away from this opening 6 weeks of footy :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Whitehead has not been good the past couple of weeks, but he has also been playing out of position for much of that due to terrible bench selections.

Just about every good attacking play this season has gone through Whitehead though. He needs to prove his defence, but he's not the major issue.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2021, 2:33 pm The Rapana on the left thing really is one of the most bizarre instances of coaching stubbornness I think I’ve ever seen. It just makes no sense at all.
I'm certain it's because the coach sees Rapana as the most attacking/dangerous winger at the club, and since our attack has become increasingly biased to the left, that's where he plays.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im not going to hold it against Whitehead that he's not quite impacting games when our attack is so clunky and he's spent large potions of the season playing centre.

Our biggest problem with Whitehead is he's 32 this year and those are big damn shoes that we need to start thinking about filling long term
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:30 pm Im not going to hold it against Whitehead that he's not quite impacting games when our attack is so clunky and he's spent large potions of the season playing centre.

Our biggest problem with Whitehead is he's 32 this year and those are big damn shoes that we need to start thinking about filling long term
CHN and Horse?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Leebola wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:32 pm
Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:30 pm Im not going to hold it against Whitehead that he's not quite impacting games when our attack is so clunky and he's spent large potions of the season playing centre.

CHN and Horse?
CHN could be a viable long term option for sure, very different sort of player, and the creativity as a pure ball player, rather than offloader like CHN, that Whitehead has given us over the years is sorely underrated on this site imo.

Horse? No chance... Not agile and mobile enough to play on the edge imo. The young english young Ruston might be an option. But we've got that Caleb Esera kid coming through, though i wonder if he'll end up so big that he's forced into the middle... I think Stuart desperately wants it to be Young, but my thoughts on that are well documented not needed to be rehashed.

A few options but man, Whitehead has been such a great player for us for so long.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wighton's kicking game has been atrocious.

The cutout passes to Rapana, who then heads for the sideline 5 metres before the tryline need to stop. Rapa should also be on the right. Every man and his dog can see that.

Scott and Croker have largely been passengers this season for a variety of reasons. Good in parts, terrible in others. God knows why Kris was left out.

Simonsson is the most unspectacular winger in the NRL. Terribly caught out of position a few times. With all due respect to Aikin, you can tell how much we miss CNKs defence when he's not there.

Guler was hopeless on Saturday. I'm not sure what the deal is with him. Lui has been poor and Sia should be playing reserves.

I'm not sure what to do with Hodgson. His passing was good. We obviously had a tactic to play a bit wider on Saturday. Every pass was 2 wide of the ruck. Whether the tactic was correct or not, he executed that well. His execution inside the 20 is still off. It's like he's playing slower the closer we get to the tryline.

Young had a shocker in defence, but he has been one of our best. Papa has been OK and James has been very good. Tapine has been excellent.

Some big decisions to be made here.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:36 pm
Leebola wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:32 pm

CHN and Horse?
CHN could be a viable long term option for sure, very different sort of player, and the creativity as a pure ball player, rather than offloader like CHN, that Whitehead has given us over the years is sorely underrated on this site imo.

Horse? No chance... Not agile and mobile enough to play on the edge imo. The young english young Ruston might be an option. But we've got that Caleb Esera kid coming through, though i wonder if he'll end up so big that he's forced into the middle... I think Stuart desperately wants it to be Young, but my thoughts on that are well documented not needed to be rehashed.

A few options but man, Whitehead has been such a great player for us for so long.
Long term it's CHN and Kris, Esera, Rushton probably for that edge. Young might still be edge or be a middle by then.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah Kris really seems destined to be an edge forward long term.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Good teams evolve and don't rest on their laurels. Look at Penrith - they were ruthless in getting rid of Mansour, a loyal servant. For the better. What did we do? Retain old players that are underperforming and add nothing. Even Roosters, relegating JWH on the bench this year for Lindsay Collins. They also add elements to their game to get better. Melbourne Storm evolved last year to become an attacking team in their own half - they shifted the ball early on their left hand side. Stuart's coaching is stale and doesn't evolve to take into account the new rule changes. He is a good passion coach that the players like but is devoid of ideas. I think the players - the good ones that are not performing like Papa, Jack, Whitehead, Hodgson, may be stale as they listened to the same voice and same ideas for so many years w/o success.