All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2022

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2022, 8:48 pm
Didn’t we read on here Papa will be vaccinated before season starts?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

No dementia here..yet !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: January 7, 2022, 5:10 am
greeneyed wrote: January 6, 2022, 8:48 pm
Didn’t we read on here Papa will be vaccinated before season starts?
Don’t you have to wait a number of months to get vaccinated if you currently have COVID? (General question, not necessarily implying Papa has COVID if that info isn’t publicly available)
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

its not months - more like days or 2 weeks. Basically need to be recovered, coming up negative in the PCR/RAT and not showing any symptoms
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Im quietly confident in 6th.

This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Nick Campton is a very good twitter follow, really good character, funny guy and excellent writer
he left the DT ages ago and is now working for ABC, so if he's on the by line, it was definitely written some time ago
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote:Nick Campton is a very good twitter follow, really good character, funny guy and excellent writer
he left the DT ages ago and is now working for ABC, so if he's on the by line, it was definitely written some time ago
He’s also a Raiders fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A hooking issue, Jack Wighton’s form and fitness: Five burning questions for the Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders were undoubtedly one of the big disappointments over the 2021 season, and will be desperate to turn things around once the first ball is kicked in anger for 2022. Here are the burning questions the Canberra Raiders must find the answers for in 2022.

How does Jack Wighton rebound to his best?
Can Josh Hodgson and Tom Starling co-exist?
Can Xavier Savage make the number one his own?
Will Josh Papalii find enough support?
Can the Raiders fix their inconsistency and fitness?

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/a-hooking-is ... rs-113046/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2022, 7:42 pm A hooking issue, Jack Wighton’s form and fitness: Five burning questions for the Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders were undoubtedly one of the big disappointments over the 2021 season, and will be desperate to turn things around once the first ball is kicked in anger for 2022. Here are the burning questions the Canberra Raiders must find the answers for in 2022.

How does Jack Wighton rebound to his best?
Can Josh Hodgson and Tom Starling co-exist?
Can Xavier Savage make the number one his own?
Will Josh Papalii find enough support?
Can the Raiders fix their inconsistency and fitness?

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/a-hooking-is ... rs-113046/
Scott Pryde clearly just reads the Greenhouse.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Best 17 for 2022: Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders were one of the major disappointments last season, finishing in the bottom eight despite being almost a lock for the top eight according to most pundits before a ball had been kicked. Plenty of questions linger over their squad, whether it be injury or new recruits, while many of the young brigade will also be looking to make their mark in first grade.

The best 17
1. Xavier Savage
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Jarrod Croker
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Elliott Whitehead
12. Hudson Young
13. Corey Horsburgh

Interchange
14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Adam Elliott
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/best-17-for- ... rs-113208/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 21, 2022, 7:50 am Best 17 for 2022: Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Raiders were one of the major disappointments last season, finishing in the bottom eight despite being almost a lock for the top eight according to most pundits before a ball had been kicked. Plenty of questions linger over their squad, whether it be injury or new recruits, while many of the young brigade will also be looking to make their mark in first grade.

The best 17
1. Xavier Savage
2. Jordan Rapana
4. Jarrod Croker
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Elliott Whitehead
12. Hudson Young
13. Corey Horsburgh

Interchange
14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Adam Elliott
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

I like this more than some Ive seen, but its still needs a couple of tweaks. If Savage is at 1, then:
3 and 4 are around the wrong way.
CHN starts on the edge for Huddo.
Id be tempted to move Huddo to 13.
Then its a case of Horse vs Guler vs Mooney vs Hola vs Rushton for that last bench spot.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I will be very surprised if Horsburgh and Sutton are in green next year. Obviously the team should be picked on merit but it is certainly a cross against their names.
I expect Horsburgh in particular will play more games in Reggie’s then firsts this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

RTW wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:47 am I will be very surprised if Horsburgh and Sutton are in green next year. Obviously the team should be picked on merit but it is certainly a cross against their names.
I expect Horsburgh in particular will play more games in Reggie’s then firsts this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d add Tapine to those two…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Foxsports.com.au predicted Rd 1 NRL teams

RAIDERS

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Matthew Timoko 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papalii 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Joe Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Adam Elliott 14. Tom Starling 15. Ryan Sutton 16. Corey Horsburgh 17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Analysis: All eyes will be on the Raiders’ new-look halves combination come Round 1, with former Titans co-captain Jamal Fogarty joining the Green Machine. Adam Elliott also made the move to Canberra over the off-season and is expected to start at lock. Despite the club’s decision not to offer Josh Hodgson a new deal beyond this season, coach Ricky Stuart is still expected to start the veteran and then shift him to lock when Tom Starling comes on to run amok out of dummy-half. Co-captain Jarrod Croker is touch-and-go after undergoing a knee operation in October but will do everything possible to be ready for Round 1, while Corey Horsburgh has returned to contact training after shoulder surgery and is aiming to be fit for the Raiders’ first game. Nick Cotric is a welcomed return after one season with the Bulldogs and will slot back in on the wing with Harley Smith-Shields and Semi Valemei missing out.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 593f8c6952
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Having gone through all the numbers, in writing today’s “Locks and contenders” I’m struggling to see how Adam Elliott can be in anyone’s starting selection.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Whitehead needs to move to Lock. He was horrible last year on an edge.
Happy for him to be given a chance to keep his spot but Ricky needs to call it early if his form has not picked up.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:42 am

The best 17
1. Xavier Savage
2. Jordan Rapana
4. Jarrod Croker
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Elliott Whitehead
12. Hudson Young
13. Corey Horsburgh

Interchange
14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Adam Elliott
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

I like this more than some Ive seen, but its still needs a couple of tweaks. If Savage is at 1, then:
Then its a case of Horse vs Guler vs Mooney vs Hola vs Rushton for that last bench spot.
Whenever I'm putting sides together Hola is always an anomaly. We didn't sign him to do nothing. Prop is his only role. The signing by itself makes you think he is there come round 1, or if not extremely close.
He's not a bad player. I don't know how to read it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: January 22, 2022, 12:21 am
Matt wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:42 am

The best 17
1. Xavier Savage
2. Jordan Rapana
4. Jarrod Croker
5. Nick Cotric
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Elliott Whitehead
12. Hudson Young
13. Corey Horsburgh

Interchange
14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Adam Elliott
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Whenever I'm putting sides together Hola is always an anomaly. We didn't sign him to do nothing. Prop is his only role. The signing by itself makes you think he is there come round 1, or if not extremely close.
He's not a bad player. I don't know how to read it.
He has been a fringe guy his whole career. My guess, he saw all the old guys leave, and said I have a chance there
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hola isn't a pure prop at all.

In 2021 he played all his footy at lock- except for 2 games where he actually played as an edge backrower instead. His numbers look good on the edge too if you want yards- double or triple someone like Whitehead or Elliot's yards game.

He CAN play prop. But I think he's bang in that "versatile" category competing for a bench spot. The kind of buy who basically competes with everything Horsburgh looked like he might become when he first came on the scene and before fitness/mobility became known issues.

He might be a great talent. But he's only 22 and missed 2.5 entire seasons of footy out of the 4 he's been in senior grades- with knee injuries and then covid. So he's only been fringe by virtue of always playing catchup/coming back from season ending injury. Bit of the unknown about him.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: January 22, 2022, 9:52 am Hola isn't a pure prop at all.

In 2021 he played all his footy at lock- except for 2 games where he actually played as an edge backrower instead. His numbers look good on the edge too if you want yards- double or triple someone like Whitehead or Elliot's yards game.

He CAN play prop. But I think he's bang in that "versatile" category competing for a bench spot. The kind of buy who basically competes with everything Horsburgh looked like he might become when he first came on the scene and before fitness/mobility became known issues.

He might be a great talent. But he's only 22 and missed 2.5 entire seasons of footy out of the 4 he's been in senior grades- with knee injuries and then covid. So he's only been fringe by virtue of always playing catchup/coming back from season ending injury. Bit of the unknown about him.
There were rumours he was going to play edge for Cows last yr. But everything I heard was, he didn't have the engine for it
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: January 21, 2022, 1:36 pm Having gone through all the numbers, in writing today’s “Locks and contenders” I’m struggling to see how Adam Elliott can be in anyone’s starting selection.
Most of Elliott's numbers last year were from minutes at second row but I think he's much more suited to lock. I have Elliott at 13 in my starting 13. I think he offers a bit more ball playing than Young. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him there round one.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: January 22, 2022, 4:31 pm

There were rumours he was going to play edge for Cows last yr. But everything I heard was, he didn't have the engine for it
If he doesn't have the engine for playing on the edge full time, I wonder if he can play an impact role off the bench for 20 mins to give Whitehead a spell? I was thinking Young or Kris initially for this role but Hola could prove to be a bit of a weapon for us there with his bigger frame.

I'm not sure I like him as a lock unless he's bringing some ball playing. I really hope we've left the third prop at lock set up behind in 2021. I think he's more of a prop in the modern game from what I've seen but could be wrong.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:42 am
Matt wrote: January 22, 2022, 4:31 pm

If he doesn't have the engine for playing on the edge full time, I wonder if he can play an impact role off the bench for 20 mins to give Whitehead a spell? I was thinking Young or Kris initially for this role but Hola could prove to be a bit of a weapon for us there with his bigger frame.

I'm not sure I like him as a lock unless he's bringing some ball playing. I really hope we've left the third prop at lock set up behind in 2021. I think he's more of a prop in the modern game from what I've seen but could be wrong.
Not a ball player at all. Doesn't offload either. He is a runner.
I'd be ok with him at lock to start the game, coz its taking the brunt early 20-25mins, 30mins max, then likely getting hooked for Starlo with Hodgo shifting to lock.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart answers some tough questions

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart tells why Canberra will improve in 2022, how Fogarty has settled in and why the club made the decision to sign Adam Elliott from the Bulldogs.

“From day one, Jamal Fogarty’s fit straight into our program and the players. He has set himself up in Canberra with his children at school, he’s been a pleasure to work with. He’s a really good talker and that is exactly what is needed as a half.”

Read more: https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/raide ... b1952f9410

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4152b7b423
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All 16 NRL halves pairings ranked

https://www.instagram.com/foxleague/p/CZGV7cYt7YM/

9. RAIDERS

Halves: No.6 Jack Wighton, No.7 Jamal Fogarty

Analysis: The Raiders have one of the more intriguing halves pairings heading into 2022 with former Titans skipper Jamal Fogarty joining Jack Wighton at the scrumbase. Fogarty is a late bloomer but has established himself as a reliable first grade halfback over the last two seasons and his style could be the perfect foil for Wighton’s running game. Despite being the incumbent Blues five-eighth, Wighton struggled to match his Dally M Medal winning year in 2020 last season as he tried to take on more of a playmaking role after George Williams’ departure. If Fogarty can take the lead with kicking duties and leading the team around the park that will free up Wighton to attack with his running and short passing games off the back of go-forward from the Raiders’ pack, which could see this pair rise up the rankings as the season progresses.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a4181e4fa4
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2022, 8:45 am All 16 NRL halves pairings ranked

9. RAIDERS

Analysis: The Raiders have one of the more intriguing halves pairings heading into 2022 with former Titans skipper Jamal Fogarty joining Jack Wighton at the scrumbase. Fogarty is a late bloomer but has established himself as a reliable first grade halfback over the last two seasons and his style could be the perfect foil for Wighton’s running game. Despite being the incumbent Blues five-eighth, Wighton struggled to match his Dally M Medal winning year in 2020 last season as he tried to take on more of a playmaking role after George Williams’ departure. If Fogarty can take the lead with kicking duties and leading the team around the park that will free up Wighton to attack with his running and short passing games off the back of go-forward from the Raiders’ pack, which could see this pair rise up the rankings as the season progresses.

8. TIGERS

Halves: No.6 Jackson Hastings, No.7 Luke Brooks

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2022, 7:34 am
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I'm doubtful Croker will start in the centres in round one. I don't think Savage will get first crack at fullback either, we might see him on the wing though if Rapana has to sit out for the first round.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2022, 8:51 am

9. RAIDERS

8. TIGERS

There are some that are fair enough, like Storm and Panthers... but the rest is a load of **** imo. There are so many unknown quantities on the list. It seems like the guy ranked these on the potential he sees personally. It would look different if we were using numbers/form.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brimson and Sexton, not clear how it’ll work, but better than 13th? Broncos and Sharks low? Tigers and Warriors high? Not sure if it’s that far off though. The Raiders halves look right, middle of the pack.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The halves rankings look more like a random draw out of a hat (apart from the top 2).
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Wiki Special wrote: January 24, 2022, 9:29 am The halves rankings look more like a random draw out of a hat (apart from the top 2).
That's what I thought too... top two and possibly bottom two are probably fair and the rest are random.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 24, 2022, 8:59 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2022, 8:51 am

9. RAIDERS

8. TIGERS

There are some that are fair enough, like Storm and Panthers... but the rest is a load of **** imo. There are so many unknown quantities on the list. It seems like the guy ranked these on the potential he sees personally. It would look different if we were using numbers/form.
It's all subjective and when ranking them you need put some ahead of others which are very debateable. This one just stood out for me. A halfback who's underacheived for 8 years combined with a new 5/8 that didn't cut it at NRL level previously. Just about every combo rated behind them have significantly more upside.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 24, 2022, 8:52 am
greeneyed wrote: January 24, 2022, 7:34 am
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I'm doubtful Croker will start in the centres in round one. I don't think Savage will get first crack at fullback either, we might see him on the wing though if Rapana has to sit out for the first round.
Re Croker: he was pretty circumspect with his words there- he said the club had given Jarrod time to get his body right to try and play at NRL standard/his personal standards. Which sounds like acknowledgement that Croker was way off the pace last season. Then he said Jarrod is aiming for r1- well so is everyone. Doesn't mean everyone is going to play. He very definitely didn't say, something like "barring any setbacks Jarrod will be there r1", like he would for locked in guys...

Re Savage: yeah that's pretty much how I read it.

Interesting that it sounds like Elliot will not be starting, saying guys might spend time at either position sounds like bench or backup for Elliot.