All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2022

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The first thing that would be a definite for me is not extending any of the following who are off contract - Williams, Soliola, Havili and Frawley. I would keep Lui if he's willing to sign on for minimum. Then I'd be telling Horsburgh and Hodgson that they're not getting another contract beyond their final year next year and let them go if they find another club... carry a couple hundred k for Hodgson if we need to in order to get him out before next season imo. If Starling is our hooker from now, we just can't carry Hodgson... the money is better spent upgrading elsewhere. I think there are then a number of players that you wouldn't stand in the way of if they were to find deals elsewhere but those guys above all gotta go. A lot of our younger guys such as Kris, Guler, Simonsson - they're fringe first graders at the moment imo. Valemei is flat out not a first grade player at this stage and I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence in his progression. Outside of halfback, I'd be recruiting talent at second row and an outside back. Whatever other spots we need to fill should be focused on players who at least show some promise and are willing to put in the hard yards.
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

I think a few people have forgotten about Trey Mooney. I am confident he will be in our 17 next year.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Sydney_Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 11:33 am I think a few people have forgotten about Trey Mooney. I am confident he will be in our 17 next year.
If Mooney is ready next year then I'd have him on the interchange to share the lock role with Whitehead
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Bottom 4 next year.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 11:23 am The first thing that would be a definite for me is not extending any of the following who are off contract - Williams, Soliola, Havili and Frawley. I would keep Lui if he's willing to sign on for minimum. Then I'd be telling Horsburgh and Hodgson that they're not getting another contract beyond their final year next year and let them go if they find another club... carry a couple hundred k for Hodgson if we need to in order to get him out before next season imo. If Starling is our hooker from now, we just can't carry Hodgson... the money is better spent upgrading elsewhere. I think there are then a number of players that you wouldn't stand in the way of if they were to find deals elsewhere but those guys above all gotta go. A lot of our younger guys such as Kris, Guler, Simonsson - they're fringe first graders at the moment imo. Valemei is flat out not a first grade player at this stage and I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence in his progression. Outside of halfback, I'd be recruiting talent at second row and an outside back. Whatever other spots we need to fill should be focused on players who at least show some promise and are willing to put in the hard yards.
too late. 2 already have been
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:46 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 11:23 am The first thing that would be a definite for me is not extending any of the following who are off contract - Williams, Soliola, Havili and Frawley. I would keep Lui if he's willing to sign on for minimum. Then I'd be telling Horsburgh and Hodgson that they're not getting another contract beyond their final year next year and let them go if they find another club... carry a couple hundred k for Hodgson if we need to in order to get him out before next season imo. If Starling is our hooker from now, we just can't carry Hodgson... the money is better spent upgrading elsewhere. I think there are then a number of players that you wouldn't stand in the way of if they were to find deals elsewhere but those guys above all gotta go. A lot of our younger guys such as Kris, Guler, Simonsson - they're fringe first graders at the moment imo. Valemei is flat out not a first grade player at this stage and I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence in his progression. Outside of halfback, I'd be recruiting talent at second row and an outside back. Whatever other spots we need to fill should be focused on players who at least show some promise and are willing to put in the hard yards.
who?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:55 pm
who?
Sammy and Frawley have been re-signed
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:57 pm
who?
Really? When did that happen? You could make a case to re-sign one but definitely not two... terrible retention decision. It's very hard to be positive about next season.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:59 pm
who?
Really? When did that happen? You could make a case to re-sign one but definitely not two... terrible retention decision. It's very hard to be positive about next season.
like a month ago, or more
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:00 pm

who?
I saw that we were looking to re-sign Williams but didn't know that the deal actually got over the line in the end...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:04 pm
who?
I saw that we were looking to re-sign Williams but didn't know that the deal actually got over the line in the end...
Ive just messaged GE. Canberra Times said we re-signed Sammy, but Raiders havent said it apparently. Only 'want' to re-sign Frawls. So, maybe we arent totally stuffed.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:12 pm

Ive just messaged GE. Canberra Times said we re-signed Sammy, but Raiders havent said it apparently. Only 'want' to re-sign Frawls. So, maybe we arent totally stuffed.
If Williams is re-signed to purely be the NSW cup / lower grade half to assist with development and never set foot on the field for our NRL side again, I can live with it. And if we've signed Williams, then I'm sorry but Frawley needs to go. I would honestly rather somebody like Ash Taylor taking up that spot - somebody who we shouldn't have to call upon unless our starting halves and Schneider are all injured, who actually has the potential to play at a higher level, but it wouldn't matter if we never got that from him. Or Benji Marshall would be perfect for that back up role - provides some experience and leadership as well as being levels above Williams and Frawley.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:24 pm
If Williams is re-signed to purely be the NSW cup / lower grade half to assist with development and never set foot on the field for our NRL side again, I can live with it. And if we've signed Williams, then I'm sorry but Frawley needs to go. I would honestly rather somebody like Ash Taylor taking up that spot - somebody who we shouldn't have to call upon unless our starting halves and Schneider are all injured, who actually has the potential to play at a higher level, but it wouldn't matter if we never got that from him. Or Benji Marshall would be perfect for that back up role - provides some experience and leadership as well as being levels above Williams and Frawley.
I agree. We only need 1 of those 2 guys... coz lets face it, they are the same guy.
Pearce for 1-2yrs or Benji for 1, would do a guy like Schnider the world of good IMO.

As for Ash, at 200-300K for 2yrs, I think the risk is pretty low at our end.
Ive said anything up to 400K for 2yrs, for Brooks is pretty low risk.
TBH, i dont think either are worth more than 400-500K anyway, and they are paid twice that currently.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:41 pm

I agree. We only need 1 of those 2 guys... coz lets face it, they are the same guy.
Pearce for 1-2yrs or Benji for 1, would do a guy like Schnider the world of good IMO.

TBH, i dont think either are worth more than 400-500K anyway, and they are paid twice that currently.
What's stopping us from bringing in both Pearce and Benji? or Pearce and Ash Taylor? I think that's the type of thinking we need to have moving forward and it's not unachievable considering the G. Williams + Scott money, as well as Frawley's contract value, plus hopefully Croker money...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:51 pm
Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:41 pm

What's stopping us from bringing in both Pearce and Benji? or Pearce and Ash Taylor? I think that's the type of thinking we need to have moving forward and it's not unachievable considering the G. Williams + Scott money, as well as Frawley's contract value, plus hopefully Croker money...
Nothing TBH. You could totally try that.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Josh Dugan
2. Edrick Lee
3. Will Chambers
4. Dylan Walker
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Corey Norman
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Mark Nicholls
9. Danny Levi
10. Aaron Woods (c)
11. Jack Gosiewski
12. Shane Wright
13. John Asiata

14. Benji Marshall
15. Tyrone Peachy
16. Max King
17. Ofahiki Ogden
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I hate it this time of the year, when we are knocked out and there's still several months before the cricket starts. I didn't watch the GFs in 2017-18 or any of the finals matches in those years.

Best wishes to the players, coaching staff and their families - it's been tough to play and train in these circumstances.

I'm still hurting after what I saw on Thursday night - pathetic display by a team that needed to win to make the semis. In our golden era, we would win 5-7 games straight just to make the semis. This year, we were on NRL360 for more our off field exploits than on field performances.

I hope to hear that we have signed a good assistant attacking coach and half soon.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: September 4, 2021, 12:46 am 1. Josh Dugan
2. Edrick Lee
3. Will Chambers
4. Dylan Walker
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Corey Norman
7. Ashley Taylor
8. Mark Nicholls
9. Danny Levi
10. Aaron Woods (c)
11. Jack Gosiewski
12. Shane Wright
13. John Asiata

14. Benji Marshall
15. Tyrone Peachy
16. Max King
17. Ofahiki Ogden
Players looking for jerbz?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yep. What a list.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I thought Mark Nicholls was Souffs captain? He's being turfed?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

That team above would dead set beat our team
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

I'd bring Nicholls back in a heartbeat (if he is in fact off contract). He's been excellent for Souffs this year. I also think Pearce is a better short term option than Dylan Brown unless you signed Brown to play five eighth and moved Wighton to lock. Imo, Brown and Wighton are too similar and would just create a duplicate of what we already have and that just would not work.

I can't have Whitehead in my starting side. He looks gassed after five minutes and I think he's a terrible leader.

Based on what we actually know I'd have this side:

CNK
Savage
HSS
Timoko
Rapana
Wighton
Frawley
Tapine
Young
CHN
Papalii
Starling
Sutton

Whitehead
Guler
Kris
James

Not much to write home about I know, but that's the best side IMO based on who we have under contract
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 4, 2021, 9:28 am I hate it this time of the year, when we are knocked out and there's still several months before the cricket starts. I didn't watch the GFs in 2017-18 or any of the finals matches in those years.

Best wishes to the players, coaching staff and their families - it's been tough to play and train in these circumstances.

I'm still hurting after what I saw on Thursday night - pathetic display by a team that needed to win to make the semis. In our golden era, we would win 5-7 games straight just to make the semis. This year, we were on NRL360 for more our off field exploits than on field performances.

I hope to hear that we have signed a good assistant attacking coach and half soon.
I was feeling the same, so I've looked up when the cricket starts on TV and it turns out that the Domestic 50 over competition starts this Saturday.

I guess I'll be getting invested in cricket earlier than normal this year.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I agree we are bottom 4 unless we admit we have screwed up on our current contracts, take a hit and pay some freight on a few players and create some genuine roster space to bring in new talent, new culture, new enthusiasm. The same same being listed above is not going to be pretty viewing….
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 4, 2021, 9:28 am I hate it this time of the year, when we are knocked out and there's still several months before the cricket starts. I didn't watch the GFs in 2017-18 or any of the finals matches in those years.

This is why being an NFL fan is so delightful

NFL season kicks off this friday, and the Super Bowl is on Feb 13th
So you get NRL season, runs straight into NFL season, which finishes up just as the pre season trials etc for NRL season are happening.

it's a really a delightful year long calendar
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Not much to look forward to.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

EPL and F1 holds me over nicely until the proper Cricket starts.

Really been getting into F1 in particular over the last 1-2 years. Incredible sport - no other competition in the world pushes so hard for such small margins. A club like ours could learn an endless amount of things from the way F1 teams operate.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

NBA and Leeds United over the off-season.

After a poor season I am happy to not have to deal with the Raiders for a while. Gives me a chance to decompress.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 6, 2021, 12:00 pm NBA and Leeds United over the off-season.

After a poor season I am happy to not have to deal with the Raiders for a while. Gives me a chance to decompress.
After the dysfunction of a Canberra Raiders season, i personally look forward to a break away from that kind of madness and settle into drama free season from stable organisations like my Philadelphia Eagles and Sixers

:doubt:
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 6, 2021, 12:00 pm NBA and Leeds United over the off-season.

Back to writing music and watching Everton, who are the Raiders of the EPL and love letting me down frequently. Although they are doing well under Benitez. So far...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: September 6, 2021, 11:41 am EPL and F1 holds me over nicely until the proper Cricket starts.

Really been getting into F1 in particular over the last 1-2 years. Incredible sport - no other competition in the world pushes so hard for such small margins. A club like ours could learn an endless amount of things from the way F1 teams operate.
F1 is amazing.
Spewing I won’t be able to watch it live in Melbourne again…
Amazing experience if you get the chance..
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Ashes cricket soon so that’ll keep me busy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I have the upcoming Toronto Maple Leafs season to look forward to from early October.

(insert image of Hrundi in fetal position)
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

College football for me.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

And of course Cricket
This place is woke.