All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2022

Post by Wiki Special »

I'm not saying they are as good as the Roosters pair from 2013 I'm about to mention, but I would love to see us do what they did with Mini and RTS in that season. CNK fullback in defence, Savage fullback in attack.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

papabear wrote: August 25, 2021, 2:00 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: August 12, 2021, 10:26 pm 2022 it seems HSS and Timoko are the guys for centre, with (fingers crossed) Savage fullback. I don't know where that leaves CNK. Not sure he's fast enough for wing

Kris is a bench utility more and more for mine
If CNK is fully fit and savage is fullback.

CNK is the first centre picked.

Honestly timokos inability to draw and pass is pretty damning. No point having a good running game if you are running into three defenders every time.
Up until the Manly game i subscribed to this.... then he put HSS away, twice.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: August 25, 2021, 2:14 pm I'm not saying they are as good as the Roosters pair from 2013 I'm about to mention, but I would love to see us do what they did with Mini and RTS in that season. CNK fullback in defence, Savage fullback in attack.
Its a popular opinion. Its hard to not see it as a good argument.

IMO, CNKs game is built on tough carries, high intensity and safety in regards to kick returns - all kick types. That also describes a modern wingers game. However, his positioning and 1 on 1 tackling, esp in our defensive red zone is too important to not take advantage of that too.

Savage is going to be successful if we can take advantage of his speed. To do that, he needs to be around the ball, which is why FB in attack is so important.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: August 25, 2021, 2:25 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 25, 2021, 2:14 pm I'm not saying they are as good as the Roosters pair from 2013 I'm about to mention, but I would love to see us do what they did with Mini and RTS in that season. CNK fullback in defence, Savage fullback in attack.

IMO, CNKs game is built on tough carries, high intensity and safety in regards to kick returns - all kick types. That also describes a modern wingers game. However, his positioning and 1 on 1 tackling, esp in our defensive red zone is too important to not take advantage of that too.

Savage is going to be successful if we can take advantage of his speed. To do that, he needs to be around the ball, which is why FB in attack is so important.
Put me down for CNK on the wing rather than centre for this reason - he can be used interchangeably at the back that way for this kind of purpose. Combined with the fact that we have solid centre options in Timoko and Smith-Shields, and we've got one winger who is first grade quality in Rapana. Kris, Simonsson and Valemei are all back up options for me at this stage. CNK on the wing is much better than sacrificing one of Timoko or Smith-Shields for him to be in the centres. I understand frustrations with having a lack of speed out wide but we would need to recruit to improve that imo... and you could always fill Rapana's spot with the quick recruit.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 25, 2021, 5:03 pm

Put me down for CNK on the wing rather than centre for this reason - he can be used interchangeably at the back that way for this kind of purpose. Combined with the fact that we have solid centre options in Timoko and Smith-Shields, and we've got one winger who is first grade quality in Rapana. Kris, Simonsson and Valemei are all back up options for me at this stage. CNK on the wing is much better than sacrificing one of Timoko or Smith-Shields for him to be in the centres. I understand frustrations with having a lack of speed out wide but we would need to recruit to improve that imo... and you could always fill Rapana's spot with the quick recruit.
Sure the wingers aren't the quickest in that setup, but your FB and centres are. So we'd be ok.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: August 25, 2021, 5:07 pm

Sure the wingers aren't the quickest in that setup, but your FB and centres are. So we'd be ok.
That's how I view it. And although our wingers might lack speed compared to others, they would be bringing other advantages that give them an edge. I used to be in the CNK to centre camp but it doesn't make sense when you consider the current composition of our squad. I think CNK to centre was a solid proposal back when the likes of Croker and Scott were starting but not performing, and we didn't have much of an idea on the quality of Timoko, Smith-Shields and Kris... but it's much less so now.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

We have a team that has gone from 2nd to lucky to scrape into the 8. We have bled quality players like Bateman and Williams and locked in the old boys long term. I’m not seeing where the improvement is coming from. You can’t keep doing the same things expecting a different result. Grim times ahead I fear.
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Billy Walker wrote: August 30, 2021, 9:26 am We have a team that has gone from 2nd to lucky to scrape into the 8. We have bled quality players like Bateman and Williams and locked in the old boys long term. I’m not seeing where the improvement is coming from. You can’t keep doing the same things expecting a different result. Grim times ahead I fear.
Serious? The improvement is coming from replacing Scott and Croker, who have been deadset hopeless, with Timoko and HSS who are younger, faster and stronger. We'll punt SImonsson to back up duties and bring in the fastest guy in the NRL. Giving them time to gel with Rapana and CNK who will set the standards in effort and professionalism, all we need is a halfback. More than half of the backline will be different, so if that's doing the same things... :roll:

G WIlliams is a good player but we never looked cohesive with him. If winning a grand final is out goal then I honestly think he had to move on anyway. We need a different type of halfback.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: August 30, 2021, 9:26 am We have a team that has gone from 2nd to lucky to scrape into the 8. We have bled quality players like Bateman and Williams and locked in the old boys long term. I’m not seeing where the improvement is coming from. You can’t keep doing the same things expecting a different result. Grim times ahead I fear.
Looking at the roster I'm not sure it is as grim as you make out, at least not overall.

We have 2 gun middles, and some handy supporting staff. A few young kids coming through too.

Hodgo and Starlo are better than good 9s. Treviylian looks like a decent prospect too.

I think we are and edge or 2 short, but between Smelly (this old boy still has a few tricks - though I'd agree his 80min stints are possibly coming to an end), CHN and Huddo we are ok. Ruston and Esra coming through. Not sure yet if losing Leo Thompson is bad news.

It's clear half is out glaring hole. It's also the reason to be grim. As the position holds so much weight performance wise.

Outside backs looks very solid. Most are on an upward trajectory. Loads of promise.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yep, half is the problem. If we're happy to just sit back and watch on that by the time we have it "properly solved" we'll be transitioning from Papa and Wighton.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: August 30, 2021, 9:59 am
Looking at the roster I'm not sure it is as grim as you make out, at least not overall.

We have 2 gun middles, and some handy supporting staff. A few young kids coming through too.

Hodgo and Starlo are better than good 9s. Treviylian looks like a decent prospect too.

I think we are and edge or 2 short, but between Smelly (this old boy still has a few tricks - though I'd agree his 80min stints are possibly coming to an end), CHN and Huddo we are ok. Ruston and Esra coming through. Not sure yet if losing Leo Thompson is bad news.

It's clear half is out glaring hole. It's also the reason to be grim. As the position holds so much weight performance wise.

Outside backs looks very solid. Most are on an upward trajectory. Loads of promise.
Matt - I get excited about the young blokes you mention that are coming through and that is where our success will come from. I don’t think Whitehead, Croker and Rapana will feature in future premierships for us.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

There's a place for Rapa as the yards winger in a back 5 of some positional combo from CNK, HSS, Savage and Timoko. One speedy winger (HSS or Savage) and one power/yards winger is a decent setup, considering we're more mobile across the park with Croker/Scott gone and any one of that back 5 replacing them.

Croker- yeah I don't think he's coming back any good.

I'm not writing Whitehead off yet. Potential for him to shake off an injury (we have no other edges available half of the season) or shift infield and still be handy. CHN and Young are a pretty potent edge combo imo. Just need another squaddy or young player pushing through to add some depth.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: August 30, 2021, 11:26 am
Matt wrote: August 30, 2021, 9:59 am

Matt - I get excited about the young blokes you mention that are coming through and that is where our success will come from. I don’t think Whitehead, Croker and Rapana will feature in future premierships for us.
I think the writing is definitely on the wall for Croker. The medical retirement rumours grow stronger all the time.
I think Whitehead will need to start a transition out of an 80min role. I think a 3 edge rotation like the Eels or Panthers might work here, esp if we are going to continue with Hodgo at 13. You can start all 3, take off 1 for Starlo, probably the lock, and then rotate that player back on at some point in the 2nd half either in the middle or on the edge if someone is tired.
Rapa seems to be the exception to the rule as far as 30yr old wingers go.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hodgo is the odd one out for me. Havili looked very good again at 9, bringing players onto the ball and drawing markers, though admittedly in only 9 minutes. We would lose Hodgo's crash ball try assists but I can live with that. A Havili/Starling rotation makes Hodgson superfluous

Whitehead can fill in as a ballplaying lock and on the edge as required due to form/injuries. He's pretty handy utility value but I agree can't be an 80 minute staple on the edge anymore, both CHN and Hudson ahead of him, even with their respective weaknesses
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 30, 2021, 1:07 pm Hodgo is the odd one out for me. Havili looked very good again at 9, bringing players onto the ball and drawing markers, though admittedly in only 9 minutes. We would lose Hodgo's crash ball try assists but I can live with that. A Havili/Starling rotation makes Hodgson superfluous

Whitehead can fill in as a ballplaying lock and on the edge as required due to form/injuries. He's pretty handy utility value but I agree can't be an 80 minute staple on the edge anymore, both CHN and Hudson ahead of him, even with their respective weaknesses
I thought Whitehead showed some improvement on the weekend. A few times he tucked the ball under his wing and ran it hard, he's not a bad metre man when he does that. He just needs to get a bigger mix of that into his game and he'll be more effective, less minutes will help.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'm hopeful 2022 will see Hodgson play a reduced role.

I'm not sure what he is supposed to add to the team anymore. Defensive liability. Can't run. Game suits faster hookers. His decision making is poor- constant miskicks into legs, miskicks on the 3rd.

Twice tonight he opted to send us down a short side toward the side we were missing a centre who just carried the ball... Just stupidity. And the crash ball on the 4th AFTER a Tapine half break just did me in.

I'm out of the Hodgo camp. He offers nothing and the longer we persist pretending it's his window the further we reduce our chances of renewal.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 25, 2021, 5:16 pm
Matt wrote: August 25, 2021, 5:07 pm

That's how I view it. And although our wingers might lack speed compared to others, they would be bringing other advantages that give them an edge. I used to be in the CNK to centre camp but it doesn't make sense when you consider the current composition of our squad. I think CNK to centre was a solid proposal back when the likes of Croker and Scott were starting but not performing, and we didn't have much of an idea on the quality of Timoko, Smith-Shields and Kris... but it's much less so now.
Here's something none of you are considering about the positional change for CNK defensively – he reads the play better than any of the younger blokes who have been at fullback this season. He basically is organising the defence from the back, calling people across and getting in position for the short kick through.

The alternatives need more time at NSW Cup level getting experience playing fullback. Xavier Savage is going to playing on one wing after tonight's hideous performance by Semi against the Roosters.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

yurithe1 wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:06 pm Here's something none of you are considering about the positional change for CNK defensively – he reads the play better than any of the younger blokes who have been at fullback this season. He basically is organising the defence from the back, calling people across and getting in position for the short kick through.

The alternatives need more time at NSW Cup level getting experience playing fullback. Xavier Savage is going to playing on one wing after tonight's hideous performance by Semi against the Roosters.
True, he organised the defence at the back well tonight. If not for him would have been 60!!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: September 2, 2021, 9:31 pm I'm hopeful 2022 will see Hodgson play a reduced role.

I'm not sure what he is supposed to add to the team anymore. Defensive liability. Can't run. Game suits faster hookers. His decision making is poor- constant miskicks into legs, miskicks on the 3rd.

Twice tonight he opted to send us down a short side toward the side we were missing a centre who just carried the ball... Just stupidity. And the crash ball on the 4th AFTER a Tapine half break just did me in.

I'm out of the Hodgo camp. He offers nothing and the longer we persist pretending it's his window the further we reduce our chances of renewal.
I'm hopeful that we manage to palm him off to another club tbh. We would gain so much by freeing up most of his salary to bring in other recruits such as an outside back or a backrower that would improve our squad.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Here are the players that can be released due to their contracts expiring:

Caleb Aekins - end 2021.
Matt Frawley - end 2021 we've already re-signed Sam Williams. How much depth do we need?
Siliva Havili - end 2021
Dunamis Lui - end 2021
Iosia Soliola - end 2021. He needs to go.

Jarrod Croker is signed until the end of 2023, with a player option for 2024. However, you would have to query whether his body will stand up to the rigours of NRL. I expect he will continue on until part-way through 2022 before he decides to call it quits. It's not like there's any club records left and so all he'll be doing is chasing an NRL top point-scoring record.

I think this is how we'll line up for the first game of 2022, assuming Croker doesn't pull the pin before then.

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Harley Smith-Shields
3. Jarrod Croker/Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Matt Frawley or Ash Taylor (He's the only semi-good quality halfback out there looking for a contract. I can't think of anyone in Super League they might sign).
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Emre Guler
15. Tom Starling
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Siliva Havili

18. Ryan James
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Harry Rushton
21. Brad Schneider (just to give the kid some exposure to game day lead-up prep).

Sam Williams back to captaining the NSW Cup side. Hopefully the passion he has for the club will rub off on our up and comers.

UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

yurithe1 wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:31 pm Here are the players that can be released due to their contracts expiring:

Caleb Aekins - end 2021.
Matt Frawley - end 2021 we've already re-signed Sam Williams. How much depth do we need?
Siliva Havili - end 2021
Dunamis Lui - end 2021

Jarrod Croker is signed until the end of 2023, with a player option for 2024. However, you would have to query whether his body will stand up to the rigours of NRL. I expect he will continue on until part-way through 2022 before he decides to call it quits. It's not like there's any club records left and so all he'll be doing is chasing an NRL top point-scoring record.

I think this is how we'll line up for the first game of 2022, assuming Croker doesn't pull the pin before then.

2. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Matt Frawley or Ash Taylor (He's the only semi-good quality halfback out there looking for a contract. I can't think of anyone in Super League they might sign).
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Emre Guler
15. Tom Starling
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Siliva Havili

18. Ryan James
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Harry Rushton
21. Brad Schneider (just to give the kid some exposure to game day lead-up prep).

Sam Williams back to captaining the NSW Cup side. Hopefully the passion he has for the club will rub off on our up and comers.
CHN in reserves and Guler and Horsburgh on the bench?! It’s going to be a long off-season
Last edited by UncleDrew on September 2, 2021, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

UncleDrew wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:37 pm
yurithe1 wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:31 pm Here are the players that can be released due to their contracts expiring:

Caleb Aekins - end 2021.
Siliva Havili - end 2021
Dunamis Lui - end 2021

2. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Emre Guler
15. Tom Starling
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Siliva Havili

18. Ryan James
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Harry Rushton

CHN I’m reserves and Guler and Horsburgh on the bench?! It’s going to be a long off-season
I'm just assuming he means Ricky will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that lock is indeed a position and stop playing a bog average 4th prop there in 2022.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

BadnMean wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:51 pm
UncleDrew wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:37 pm

Caleb Aekins - end 2021.
Siliva Havili - end 2021
Dunamis Lui - end 2021

2. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Emre Guler
15. Tom Starling
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

18. Ryan James
19. Harry Rushton
20. Another off-season forward pick-up?

CHN I’m reserves and Guler and Horsburgh on the bench?! It’s going to be a long off-season
I'm just assuming he means Ricky will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that lock is indeed a position and stop playing a bog average 4th prop there in 2022.
I saw Siliva Havili down on one knee and weeping after the game. That suggests he knows he's not going to be here next year. As a result, I've moved CHN onto the bench. It wouldn't surprise me if Ricky went for another cut-price off-season forward pick-up. <sigh>

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

We deserved this. Ricky doesn't know how to use people and is too sentimental. He needs to be ruthless. Sia shouldn't have played tonight. Sia, Havili, James, Lui will leave. James is still contracted so we will need to pay freight.

Williams and Frawley should join them. Croker to retire. Hodgson just keep for next year but under no basis do we resign him.

Our recruitment and retention has been poor. James and Scott didn't work out. CHN still doesn't show consistency in his all round game. We are the only club that hasn't recruited for next year.

Semi ended this year like last year - playing crap. We should cut him loose but he's here to 2024. Wighton needs to pull his finger out and play like a $900,000 player.

There's no subtlety in Sutton's play. Guler and Horse have regressed. Whitehead is no longer a certain starter.

Papa, Rapana and Starling can hold their head up. Savage, HHS and Timoko promising (despite the bad game tonight)

Ricky is a terrible coach.

We won't get near the 8 next year.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on September 3, 2021, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Bizarre that Ricky is abrasive *and* sentimental. You'd think a benefit of an abrasive coach would be that they can make tough decisions. But here we are.

Why should Hodgson be kept? He is clearly a bad apple
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:20 am We deserved this. Ricky doesn't know how to use people and is too sentimental. He needs to be ruthless. Sia shouldn't have played tonight. Sia, Havili, James, Lui will leave. James is still contracted so we will need to pay freight.

Williams and Frawley should join them. Croker to retire. Hodgson just keep for next year but under no basis do we resign him.

Our recruitment and retention has been poor. James and Scott didn't work out. CHN still doesn't show consistency in his all round game. We are the only club that hasn't recruited for next year.

Semi ended this year like last year - playing crap. We should cut him loose but he's here to 2024. Wighton needs to pull his finger out and play like a $900,000 player.

There's no subtlety in Sutton's play. Guler and Horse have regressed. Whitehead is no longer a certain starter.

Papa, Rapana and Starling can hold their head up. Savage, HHS and Timoko promising (despite the bad game tonight)

Sorry! But if you don't think CHN was 1 of our best players this yr you are kidding yourself. He had 1 bad game and Ricky dropped him. He is dead set our best attacking weapon for the modern game. I

I certainly agree Ricky can't use his players. Our right half only has to kick and give early ball to CHN and Timoko. It's not that hard.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I don't think any club would be paying $750,000 for Hodgson next year. We would need to chip in.
We don't have any halfback at the moment, Croker should be retiring, Hodgson from what I've seen does the talking and leadership. He may come good as he's playing for his last contract. I didn't think he disrespected the club at all from what he said about Scott - expect that from a senior player sticking up for a teammate.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:04 am Bizarre that Ricky is abrasive *and* sentimental. You'd think a benefit of an abrasive coach would be that they can make tough decisions. But here we are.

Why should Hodgson be kept? He is clearly a bad apple
I don't even care what kind of apple he is, his knees are EDIT and the game has moved on without him and it's clouding every other area of his game. We get all the bonehead plays and none of the upside.

Just on a playing perspective, I don't think we gain anything by having him at hooker - Starling should be #1.

Playing Hodgo also unbalances our whole team because it means Ricky never picks a real lock (who would be wasted because Hodgo faffs around there for 40 minutes) and we watch props get picked there every week.
Last edited by greeneyed on September 3, 2021, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No swearing permitted
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:15 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:20 am We deserved this. Ricky doesn't know how to use people and is too sentimental. He needs to be ruthless. Sia shouldn't have played tonight. Sia, Havili, James, Lui will leave. James is still contracted so we will need to pay freight.

Sorry! But if you don't think CHN was 1 of our best players this yr you are kidding yourself. He had 1 bad game and Ricky dropped him. He is dead set our best attacking weapon for the modern game. I

I certainly agree Ricky can't use his players. Our right half only has to kick and give early ball to CHN and Timoko. It's not that hard.
Papa, Rapa, and Starling were our best players this year. I was commenting on recent joiners and viewing CHN from last year when he had joined us. This year he had a good period which coincided with us winning those 3 games, but was largely inconsistent at the start of the year. Defence and in giving away penalties.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:25 am

Papa, Rapa, and Starling were our best players this year. I was commenting on recent joiners and viewing CHN from last year when he had joined us. This year he had a good period which coincided with us winning those 3 games, but was largely inconsistent at the start of the year. Defence and in giving away penalties.
Geez. You are definitely watching a different game to me then. I do agree he has a dumb penalty though.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:29 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:25 am

Geez. You are definitely watching a different game to me then. I do agree he has a dumb penalty though.
GH fans had a go at me last year when I pointed out Whitehead's frailties in defence and deterioration in attack. CHN is the least of Ricky's worries now. I hope he kicks on next year.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Caleb Aekins - end 2021.
Siliva Havili - end 2021
Dunamis Lui - end 2021

2. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Emre Guler
15. Tom Starling
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Siliva Havili

18. Ryan James
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Harry Rushton

I think we will line up as below in Round 1 next year, pending fitness;

2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Dylan Brown
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Sebastian Kris
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Emre Guler

18. Bailey Simonsson
19. Brad Schneider
20. Corey Horsburgh
21. Harry Rushton

I can't back up the Brown signing other than with a hunch.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Wiki Special wrote: September 3, 2021, 10:26 am

Caleb Aekins - end 2021.
Siliva Havili - end 2021
Dunamis Lui - end 2021

2. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Emre Guler
15. Tom Starling
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Siliva Havili

18. Ryan James
19. Corey Harawira-Naera
20. Harry Rushton

I think we will line up as below in Round 1 next year, pending fitness;

2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Dylan Brown
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead (c)
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Sebastian Kris
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Emre Guler

18. Bailey Simonsson
19. Brad Schneider
20. Corey Horsburgh
21. Harry Rushton

I can't back up the Brown signing other than with a hunch.
If we go into next year with either of those teams then we're missing the 8 again. It might even be bottom four for us. We have to bring in some recruits. We just can't go into next year with some below average half as our only recruit.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Agree it's poor lineup but as a thought experiment, put Nathan Cleary at 7 and it's top 4 imo. We lack a superstar and a playmaker even more than we do a coach
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 3, 2021, 10:55 am Agree it's poor lineup but as a thought experiment, put Nathan Cleary at 7 and it's top 4 imo. We lack a superstar and a playmaker even more than we do a coach
If you punt Hodgson and Horsburgh out of that team, put Whitehead to lock and used the Hodgo/Scott money to bring in a good second rower in place of Whitehead, as well as maybe an upgrade somewhere in the outside backs, and used Savage at fullback in attack, then I think that team could be very competitive. We don't necessarily need some superstar playmaker. But those are the moves we would need to make as a minimum imo.