Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Is Ricky losing the team?

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:55 am
gergreg wrote: May 4, 2021, 7:52 am
The Nickman wrote:
Finchy wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 3, 2021, 7:50 pm I just think he should stick solid, like rayden said.
So no bleeding green as well? Just stick solid?
I think the players are still bleeding green, they’re just struggling to stick solid at present.

I may be reading it wrong, but that’s just my personal opinion.
How long are you going to do this?
Give it time it might get funny
Oh, you're not banned again yet? Cute.

How was your *checks notes* 16 month "absence" anyway?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:27 am
The Nickman wrote:
Finchy wrote:
So no bleeding green as well? Just stick solid?
I think the players are still bleeding green, they’re just struggling to stick solid at present.

The food was good, plenty of exercise time and got to watch most NRL games but no phone or internet access.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:34 am
The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:27 am
The Nickman wrote: I think the players are still bleeding green, they’re just struggling to stick solid at present.

The food was good, plenty of exercise time and got to watch most NRL games but no phone or internet access.
Nice one... didn't even really feel like you left at all!
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

EDIT

Doesn't sound like a happy camp

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Rival clubs hover after Joe Tapine's wife blasts Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-canbe ... 2712651734

Tapine was one of our best and most improved players last year. Don't want to lose him or George. I would be peeved off if Roosters or Penrith signed him. It's not a happy camp. Like Cat said the trip away will do them good. Hope Stuart can sort this out quick and fast. He lost the playing group at Cronulla and his last two seasons at the Roosters and Cronulla were not good. A few wins under the belt can change the atmosphere quickly.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Explosive fallout to NRL wife’s Instagram vent: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/explo ... 5c2c98226a
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wheels are completely falling off now

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Oh no - this won't end well. Another beating by 20 this weekend.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

To be fair, if you're not playing well (ie: not performing to the level you are capable of) but are remunerated well for peak performance, you've got to be able to accept some criticism regarding doing your job better.

Not sure I would want my partner getting on social media and flaming my boss if my work performance was below what I knew I was capable of. This 'what about the others' attitude (if it indeed exists) is like kindergarten stuff. You control your effort and your performance so focus on that.

Remember of course that Taps came to us after throwing his toys out of the cot at Newcastle with a similar issue with the coach. So there is form in this regard.

Nothing wrong with wives/partners/whoever having an opinion etc, but the reality is if you go public with it via social media, I would suggest you've let your emotions get the better of you and have put your husband or partner in an even more difficult position with his employer who pays your bills.

Best way for Taps to respond is to play like he did in the semi against Roosters last year and like he is capable, and stop sooking about being called out for underperformance.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This is all starting to become pretty alarming.

4 weeks ago we were premiership contenders about to ambush the Panthers.

It really is quite depressing. It seemed like we were all settling into a period of at the very least moderate success which we saw lasting at least a couple more years.

Instead it seems like toxicity and disillusionment have become rife in the squad.

You can absolutely put a line through us for 2021 and get set for Ricky’s 3rd rebuild.
Up The Milk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Mickey_Raider wrote:This is all starting to become pretty alarming.

It really is quite depressing. It seemed like we were all settling into a period of at the very least moderate success which we saw lasting at least a couple more years.

Instead it seems like toxicity and disillusionment have become rife in the squad.

You can absolutely put a line through us for 2021 and get set for Ricky’s 3rd rebuild.
I think your right. A loss to Newcastle on the weekend will just cement this further

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

If Roosters or Panthers get Tapine I'll basically stop watching footy. Especially Roosters
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

LastRaider wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:38 pm

I think your right. A loss to Newcastle on the weekend will just cement this further

Get ready for it then. Similar to how I felt in the lead-up to the Cowboys game (which I was largely laughed at for), I don't see us winning this week either.
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:53 am This is all starting to become pretty alarming.

It is alarming as it was only 4 weeks ago that I was also optimistic we were developing into a consistent top 8 side and the yo-yoing might be a thing of the past. Maybe not a prelim or better every year but consistently into - at least - the second week of the finals to build that fortress and winning mentality.

It's currently not looking so good but hopefully a big performance this week might steady the ship.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ricky is up for a fight with his players? And who will have his back, the underperforming senior players??

It's interesting, on NRL360 they were saying how the younger generation doesn't take criticism well, and coaches have to be gentle with them etc or they get the ****. It's hard not to think that's what's happening here

In saying that, I think Ricky has chosen the wrong targets

I mean let's name the guys whose effort and attitude seem good at the moment: CNK, Aekins, Rapana (always), Scott, Wighton, Whitehead, Hodgson, Starling, Young... is that a core group that he can rebuild around? I'm not so sure. Largely due to our garbage attack, we are heavily reliant on Papa and Tarps. We're only just recovering from losing Bateman and a peak Leilua - this could be the killer blow
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:57 pm
LastRaider wrote: May 4, 2021, 12:38 pm

Get ready for it then. Similar to how I felt in the lead-up to the Cowboys game (which I was largely laughed at for), I don't see us winning this week either.
No, you were laughed off well before that...don't sell yourself short.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 4, 2021, 1:02 pm Ricky is up for a fight with his players? And who will have his back, the underperforming senior players??

It's interesting, on NRL360 they were saying how the younger generation doesn't take criticism well, and coaches have to be gentle with them etc or they get the ****. It's hard not to think that's what's happening here

In saying that, I think Ricky has chosen the wrong targets

I mean let's name the guys whose effort and attitude seem good at the moment: CNK, Aekins, Rapana (always), Scott, Wighton, Whitehead, Hodgson, Starling, Young... is that a core group that he can rebuild around? I'm not so sure. Largely due to our garbage attack, we are heavily reliant on Papa and Tarps. We're only just recovering from losing Bateman and a peak Leilua - this could be the killer blow
Rapa is having a great comeback season. Seems to be largely ignored around here. He's been one of our best 3 or 4, seems to have cut out the loose stuff the past few weeks too.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

That article mentions Rick is “up for a fight”? How petulant. Is he looking forward to shoving it in Tapine and Papalii’s faces??

I’ve got news for you Rick - Raiders fans like watching these guys play. We don’t tune in to watch you kick chairs on the sideline or complain about the referees in your presser. So make it your business to get them back on the field and playing well rather than making it about “your standards”.

If the antics of some yesterday’s hero middle aged coach with a diabolical combo of a massive ego and a thin skin end up costing us the services of elite international players... well that will just about do me. They don’t grow on trees - and even if they did, it’s well documented how much we struggle to attract them.
Last edited by Rickmando on May 4, 2021, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

I've got a better question.

Is the sky blue?

Hint; it's the same answer to this question.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

A couple of the boys on insta wishing Tarps happy birthday and saying "keep being you"... am I reading too much into it??!
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 4, 2021, 2:02 pm A couple of the boys on insta wishing Tarps happy birthday and saying "keep being you"... am I reading too much into it??!
I don’t think you are no. There is clearly something happening at the club... I won’t go through everything because other posters already have but it’s so disappointing.

People talking about a rebuild forget that we will struggle to recruit players from other clubs and this season is only going to worsen it based on current trajectory.

I really thought we were going to become a competitive top 4/5 club for at least the next few years but with how everything is starting to unravel, you could offer Sam Walker a three year deal at $1m per season and he would say thanks but no thanks (also anyone who thinks he isn’t worth that is wrong - he will be getter than Joey and Thurston).
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Luffto wrote: May 4, 2021, 1:50 pm I've got a better question.

Is the sky blue?

Hint; it's the same answer to this question.
So no then?

https://science.discoveryplace.org/blog ... purple-sky
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Are NRL Player's partners becoming the new helicopter parent you see at the kid's games, blasting the coach for not letting their kid play?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

While I do not endorse wives using their social media accounts to attack coaches, I really hope Stuart didn't confront Tapine at training in an aggressive manner and told the playing group that he is up for a fight. Fight with whom? The playing group? We have enough on our hands. Ricky should have raised it first and made a joke of it in front of the playing group, to try to bond the group together. So it's an us versus them that we are good at. We need to start playing angry.

Ricky should show some leadership and try to get the group and the non-performers to go in the same direction and not be sidetracked with internal battles. Tapine could land a job anywhere, (and Papa as well), I'm not so sure about Ricky. Totally agree with Rickmando above. I cannot believe that it only took 4 weeks for our year to unravel.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 4, 2021, 2:11 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 4, 2021, 2:02 pm A couple of the boys on insta wishing Tarps happy birthday and saying "keep being you"... am I reading too much into it??!
I don’t think you are no. There is clearly something happening at the club... I won’t go through everything because other posters already have but it’s so disappointing.

People talking about a rebuild forget that we will struggle to recruit players from other clubs and this season is only going to worsen it based on current trajectory.

I really thought we were going to become a competitive top 4/5 club for at least the next few years but with how everything is starting to unravel, you could offer Sam Walker a three year deal at $1m per season and he would say thanks but no thanks (also anyone who thinks he isn’t worth that is wrong - he will be getter than Joey and Thurston).
This is the thing that worries me. We've only just developed into a club that attracts decent players. I was over the moon when James signed for a moderate amount because he wanted to be part of the club and play finals footy.

Yet we still haven't reached anywhere near the top tier in recruitment. James and CHN are two really good signings but one was oldish and coming off a huge injury lay-off, and the other was in all sorts of off-field trouble. Curtis was a good prospect when we signed him but he had both the injuries and off-field stuff. Before that, our recruitment was the moneyball stuff like CNK and the Poms.

We still haven't signed a peak player. And the chances of doing that decrease rapidly when you start losing games and the news is all about players wanting out and/or not getting on with the coach.

If George leaves, we'll need someone like Reynolds, Moses etc. - but how could we compete with a big Sydney club who offers decent coin at the moment? Last offseason, coming off a GF and prelim, we might have looked like a team that was one good player away from a premiership. Next offseason, we may look like a team desperate for a saviour.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Broncos now targeting hodgo.

Brisbane Broncos considering shock play for Josh Hodgson: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bronco ... 57ou9.html
Dont delete this GE
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

Players are being sooks and the losses are on them

Imagine thinking your wife posting negative comments about the Coach on Insta is OK / a good idea? Would anyone here allow their wives to slag off their boss knowing he would see it?

This is peak 2021 snowflake stuff from men who are supposed to be physically / mentally tough
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Broncos considering shock play for Raiders star Josh Hodgson

The rumblings of discontent in Canberra are set to escalate, with the Brisbane Broncos talking about luring Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson to the club next season.

The Broncos feel there is reason to believe Hodgson and the Raiders might not be on the same page when it comes to the Englishman’s future at the club, which stems from the emergence of impressive young hooker Tom Starling. The Broncos aren’t the only club monitoring the situation.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bronco ... 57ou9.html
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I found this part interesting:
"The Herald has been told Hodgson, who was instrumental in Canberra’s run to the grand final in 2019, is privately disappointed with the narrative that the side has improved with him out of it."
The truth hurts Hodgo, because the side has statistically improved with you out of it.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Thanks for your time here
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well he would be of more benefit to the Broncos than us.

Give us Milf and Coates and I'll do it
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Canberra Milk wrote: May 4, 2021, 6:19 pm Well he would be of more benefit to the Broncos than us.

Give us Milf and Coates and I'll do it
Milf and Coates? Explore signing Staggs and give them Hodgo
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

What the effing hell is going on at our club?

A month ago we were a side capable of challenging for a top 4 spot, now we appear to be imploding....it’s just bizarre
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

At what stage does the title of this thread change to: Can Ricky re-locate the team?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Plz bring 2020 back