Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Re: George Williams homesick for England?

Post by MrPosh »

zim wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:20 pm Tyson Gamble isn't really a halfback.... but I do like his hustle. That's why it was so hard to cut him.
You could do a cheaper deal on that pest but you'd need to be lining up something for the future underneath him as well as making a change at fullback. There are a heap of hookers off contract in 2022 as well as Chanel Harris-Tavita.
I will not rest until CHT comes in alongside CNK and CHN.

Match day threads will be chaos.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I love Harris-Tavita. Would have him here in a heartbeat.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Really? I think Reece Walsh has already overtaken him. To be fair though I haven't watched him all that much
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Seiffert82 wrote:I love Harris-Tavita. Would have him here in a heartbeat.
Agreed he has a heap of potential

Send them Hodgson for him in return
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:04 am
cat wrote: May 10, 2021, 10:03 pm I have absolutely no respect or time for Mr J Bateman.
The club paid a huge fee to bring him over and he backflipped on a contract.
What kind of example is he giving his daughter?
And he has allowed his dirty manager to continue to screw the club
The example and lesson he's giving his daughter is to understand the business your in and how that business treats it's employee's, and act accordingly in your own best interests. Always do what is in your heart and what you feel is best for your family.

Very big of you to highlight this and what a wonderful example he's setting for his daughter.
Pfft. You are kidding me :clap:

When that guy pushed for a contact upgrade by threatening the club with leaving in...grand....final...week, he showed a complete lack of dignity that I forgave when eventually, 6 months later, it was revealed that he was doing it for the very understandable reasoning of being there for his family, he had my best wishes.

That was all undone this week, he reopened the wound. His remarks have been deciphered as being very tactical about a current player being released. His comments have the same managerial stink that was all over his GF week antics. It deliberately disturbed the club and fans when we least needed it.

Act accordingly in your own best interests. but do it with some integrity.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Robert the Bruce wrote: May 14, 2021, 3:08 pm Act accordingly in your own best interests. but do it with some integrity.
The same could be said about the teams. None of which act in their own interests with any shred of integrity.
I continue to be flummoxed by fans who hold players to a higher standard of ethical behaviour than they hold their clubs to.

Professional sports is a business and it's played dirty by both sides.
Fans are over joyed when there is unscrupulous behaviour by a club that is in their best interest... be that to shop an unwanted player around to rivals, sign a player for the future and agitate for early release, sack a squad player for off field behaviour that the star wouldn't dream of getting sacked for, poaching all the best players from a team like Wigan knowing there is nothing they can do about it, public leaks about players performance or negotiations on going aimed at getting a desired result.
We the fans don't care. We applaud them for doing what needs to be done to be successful. No one is worried about the impact that has on the player. That's just business.

But the moment a player (and to be clear, lets remember its those players who are actually the skilled individuals we pay to see, the ones who put their bodies and future well being on the line for our entertainment) wishes to play a little dirt to get the result he wants, we lose our minds
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yep. Some of our best roster moves in recent years involved getting in player’s ears to break contract and get to Canberra. Leilua and Tapine the big ones.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

julian87 wrote: May 14, 2021, 3:43 pm Yep. Some of our best roster moves in recent years involved getting in player’s ears to break contract and get to Canberra. Leilua and Tapine the big ones.
Junior Paulo as well. I remember him being in all sorts of trouble and he needed to leave Sydney for his own wellbeing
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Homesick for some northern ****. You have to have been there to know how dire it is..
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

sprintman wrote: May 14, 2021, 4:28 pm Homesick for some northern ****. You have to have been there to know how dire it is..
Well obviously I don't share that view, but I only live here.

My take is that George will continue to give it his best shot with the Raiders this season, and be back at Wigan in 2022. As long as he continues to give 100%, I don't think Raiders fans can complain about his contribution.

As for JB, I think he's best advised to do his talking on the pitch. But it wouldn't matter to me much, cos frankly I can never understand a word the bloke says! How you guys manage, I can't imagine.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

moto748 wrote: May 20, 2021, 8:01 am
sprintman wrote: May 14, 2021, 4:28 pm Homesick for some northern ****. You have to have been there to know how dire it is..
Well obviously I don't share that view, but I only live here.

My take is that George will continue to give it his best shot with the Raiders this season, and be back at Wigan in 2022. As long as he continues to give 100%, I don't think Raiders fans can complain about his contribution.

As for JB, I think he's best advised to do his talking on the pitch. But it wouldn't matter to me much, cos frankly I can never understand a word the bloke says! How you guys manage, I can't imagine.
I pity you
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

julian87 wrote: May 14, 2021, 3:43 pm Yep. Some of our best roster moves in recent years involved getting in player’s ears to break contract and get to Canberra. Leilua and Tapine the big ones.
You picked the two worst example possibles. The Knights were stoked to release Leilua - he wasn't going to get a run for them anyway, and Tapine was signed by us for the year after and then Nathan Brown had a hissyfit and dropped him into reserve grade for the rest of the year. It wasn't until he was dropped that he was itching to come to us a year early. Nothing to do with "getting in player's ears".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raider Azz wrote: May 20, 2021, 11:07 am
You picked the two worst example possibles. The Knights were stoked to release Leilua - he wasn't going to get a run for them anyway, and Tapine was signed by us for the year after and then Nathan Brown had a hissyfit and dropped him into reserve grade for the rest of the year. It wasn't until he was dropped that he was itching to come to us a year early. Nothing to do with "getting in player's ears".
It was also 5-6 years ago. Just after Milford left for the Broncos. Not the most recent examples.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Farewell George.

Released immediately
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

George Williams released immediately...

Watch us sign no one for 2022 #yearoftheambushbaby
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Wow
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

What a dud buy he ended up being.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

The Canberra Raiders have agreed to release halfback George Williams from his current playing contract effective immediately.

Williams and his management asked for a release on compassionate grounds for the end of the 2021 season, however the club has decided it is in the best interests of both parties to grant an immediate release to allow both parties to plan for their respective futures.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the decision to release Williams now was in the best interests for all parties.

“George and his partner have asked on a number of occasions for a release to return to England to be closer to their families and we’ve decided to grant their request,” Furner said. “George withdrew from training today and from the game this weekend which highlighted to the Club the seriousness of George’s request.

“Over the past several weeks we have supported George and provided him with the best welfare support we could, however as a Club we felt that his position at the club moving forward became untenable.”

Canberra Raiders media

Homesick Raiders halfback George Williams released: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b746048b11

George Williams gets immediate release from Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/25/geo ... m-raiders/
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 25, 2021, 4:04 pm What a dud buy he ended up being.
I was so excited after round 3 last year... thought he was going to be one of the best halves in the NRL.

Should have made a play for Reynolds IMO, club knew this was coming.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Stick a fork in us!
I can only hold on to the glimmer of hope that the immediate release was negotiated due to an imminent signing from elsewhere
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by afgtnk »

What an absolute EDIT, disaster of a season.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Such a well managed club...
Last edited by Ultima on May 25, 2021, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Good riddance tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

afgtnk wrote: May 25, 2021, 4:06 pm What an absolute cluster ****, disaster of a season.
This is 2012 levels of chaos, only need Ricky to be sacked to top it all off
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

We must have some one else in mind. The club said they wouldn't release him unless this was the case. I wonder who it might be. I personally hope it's milford.

I have to say that it's been disappointing how this has ended. Loved him last year. Thought the future looked bright with him here but alas it wasn't to be. I don't think he was a dud signing at all. We got our man. It didn't work out. We move to our next target
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

We must have some one else in mind. The club said they wouldn't release him unless this was the case. I wonder who it might be. I personally hope it's milford.

I have to say that it's been disappointing how this has ended. Loved him last year. Thought the future looked bright with him here but alas it wasn't to be. I don't think he was a dud signing at all. We got our man. It didn't work out. We move to our next target
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

FROG wrote: May 25, 2021, 4:09 pm We must have some one else in mind. The club said they wouldn't release him unless this was the case. I wonder who it might be. I personally hope it's milford.

No, he's just forced our hand, by withdrawing from training and selection
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

It's great having such smart minds in charge of our club..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

We have to have someone else nearly signed... Surely?
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Luke Brooks or Kyle Flanagan incoming
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

afgtnk wrote: May 25, 2021, 4:06 pm What an absolute cluster ****, disaster of a season.
Yeah it's up there with 2012 isn't it
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Toviii wrote: May 25, 2021, 4:10 pm Luke Brooks or Kyle Flanagan incoming
Is wooden spelt with one 'o' or two?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: May 25, 2021, 4:08 pm Good riddance tbh.
And I'm sure people will say the same if/when Hodgo leaves.

He's one of our best players. The best halfback we've had since Stuart. Genuinely top 4-5 in his position. Voted as our best last season, by US.

Good **** luck to us trying to replace him with someone of equal or higher ability. Heads have to roll here - this is an utter disaster of a year.