Canberra Raiders and George Williams agree on release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders release George Williams immediately

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote: June 3, 2021, 7:28 am Plenty of people been able to take stress leave, long service leave to deal with an issue etc and be welcomed back in my industry. Employers really don't want the rep for being uncaring and leaving people jobless while they try to rebuild themselves after a setback. The new hires come in on shorter term contracts to facilitate a return.

You wouldn't badmouth the organisation publicly though- big difference between workplace griping to colleagues and making public posts on SM, being caught up in the news etc that make the place look bad. That would be a clear breach of conduct. I'd say you could do that once, maybe and be reprimanded or be out on your ear if it continued.
By all accounts the club handled the Seb Kris situation last year perfectly well. Issues were raised, time off was given, support provided and the player has come back better than ever.

Same club, different player this time, vastly different result.

I know where I'm pointing the finger in this situation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

EDIT

In what way did I suggest George Williams and John Bateman had the same manager?

I said their management in both cases failed both them and the club.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 3, 2021, 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:39 am
BadnMean wrote: June 3, 2021, 7:28 am Plenty of people been able to take stress leave, long service leave to deal with an issue etc and be welcomed back in my industry. Employers really don't want the rep for being uncaring and leaving people jobless while they try to rebuild themselves after a setback. The new hires come in on shorter term contracts to facilitate a return.

You wouldn't badmouth the organisation publicly though- big difference between workplace griping to colleagues and making public posts on SM, being caught up in the news etc that make the place look bad. That would be a clear breach of conduct. I'd say you could do that once, maybe and be reprimanded or be out on your ear if it continued.
By all accounts the club handled the Seb Kris situation last year perfectly well. Issues were raised, time off was given, support provided and the player has come back better than ever.

You honestly think the cub can't get one situation right and another situation wrong?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

hrundi89 wrote: June 3, 2021, 12:27 pm

You honestly think the cub can't get one situation right and another situation wrong?
If Seb Kris was agitating for a release then text the club to say he wasn't going to train or play they might have handled the situation similarly.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Poor bastard was probably just hungover and needed a day off. I feel him
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

C'mon now. One player had genuine personal issues and the other tried to weasel his way out of a contract by citing homesickness for England and mental health issues while shopping himself around to Sydney clubs.

You are more than welcome to think the club is at fault with Williams. I don't.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

From someone who has friends who have suffered from /and continue to suffer from mental health disorders, and who have seen/worked with people who have used mental health to get away with some pretty serious stuff at work/legally I want to commend then club on how they conduct themselves.

We have seen in the past how the club has supported players who have legitimate mental health concerns including Seb, Todd Carney (we were paying for his therapy well after he left the club) and many others

The club continues to help players who move to the club including Semi (who hasnt gotten to even meet his daughter yet), Kato, etc etc and does it well. The club supports Charnze having his boys in NZ etc etc

And I think the way they have handled the George Williams situation gave people with significant mental health issues genuine respect and actually showed others how it should be done.

The facts are George wanted a release to get more money and to live by the beach , when the club rejected his request he tried to go down the "homesick" route , the club ensured they were going above and beyond to help him and his partner

He asks for another release Monday, was fine at training Monday and then by Tuesday pulls the mental health card cause the homesick one wasnt working.

At the end of the day I find that disrespectful by George to people who are suffering from mental health including his teammates. And the fact the club pulled him up on it is sign that the club respects people who suffer from mental health and wont see it used as an excuse
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You're like an AFL sycophant who constantly drinks the kool aid.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

They certainly can. But i think one situations speaks to how seriously the club treats mental health where they feel it's genuine
I dont believe the club feel this is genuine, at least not the point where he is withdrawing from the sqaud from training and playing duties, i think they feel this is a player and agent using this as means to up the ante and pressure on the club to release him on terms that suit him and only him.

I dont know Goerge or his situation so i cant speak to what the nature of this situation is. But it's clear to me how the club sees it and why the response is different as a result. I have absolutely no doubt if they thought this was a genuine issue, this wouldnt be handled the way it has.

But just because they think something, doesnt mean they're right.
Or wrong.

Unfortunately we'll probably never know that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders meet George Williams to finalise terms of release

The Canberra Raiders will meet with released halfback George Williams and the Rugby League Players' Association on Friday morning to finalise the terms of his release. It's believed the Williams camp were only looking for compensation for this season and nothing for next year.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

He should already be back in England by now!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2021, 8:07 pm Canberra Raiders meet George Williams to finalise terms of release

The Canberra Raiders will meet with released halfback George Williams and the Rugby League Players' Association on Friday morning to finalise the terms of his release. It's believed the Williams camp were only looking for compensation for this season and nothing for next year.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Lol why would they even think they are entitled to compensation for next season?
Vaccinated
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

We owe him nothing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote:From someone who has friends who have suffered from /and continue to suffer from mental health disorders, and who have seen/worked with people who have used mental health to get away with some pretty serious stuff at work/legally I want to commend then club on how they conduct themselves.

We have seen in the past how the club has supported players who have legitimate mental health concerns including Seb, Todd Carney (we were paying for his therapy well after he left the club) and many others

The club continues to help players who move to the club including Semi (who hasnt gotten to even meet his daughter yet), Kato, etc etc and does it well. The club supports Charnze having his boys in NZ etc etc

And I think the way they have handled the George Williams situation gave people with significant mental health issues genuine respect and actually showed others how it should be done.

The facts are George wanted a release to get more money and to live by the beach , when the club rejected his request he tried to go down the "homesick" route , the club ensured they were going above and beyond to help him and his partner

He asks for another release Monday, was fine at training Monday and then by Tuesday pulls the mental health card cause the homesick one wasnt working.

At the end of the day I find that disrespectful by George to people who are suffering from mental health including his teammates. And the fact the club pulled him up on it is sign that the club respects people who suffer from mental health and wont see it used as an excuse
What an absolute load of utter garbage, I genuinely can’t take a single post you make seriously.
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

The Nickman wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:21 pm
cat wrote:From someone who has friends who have suffered from /and continue to suffer from mental health disorders, and who have seen/worked with people who have used mental health to get away with some pretty serious stuff at work/legally I want to commend then club on how they conduct themselves.

What an absolute load of utter garbage, I genuinely can’t take a single post you make seriously.
Maybe cat should’ve checked notes and added a chefs kiss, that would’ve made the post more legit.

GWilly was just taking the piss out of the club, end of story. Feel for the people who are low income earners and actually do suffer from mental illness, not people like George.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I was on GWilly’s side until he refused the immediate release, he’s not home sick he wants out Canberra on his own terms.

He can head off home with his tail between his legs, you can’t play the home sick card if you actually want to head home in 5 months.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Yeah I'm the same. I was sympathetic until I understood what transpired. I've got absolutely no problem with the club's response. I just wish they better communicated it to the players and supporters at the time. That said, I appreciate they probably didn't expect George to turn to social media so hindsight is a wonderful thing
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Postman Pat wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:48 pm I was on GWilly’s side until he refused the immediate release, he’s not home sick he wants out Canberra on his own terms.

He can head off home with his tail between his legs, you can’t play the home sick card if you actually want to head home in 5 months.
Yep. If there's too much hardship here (and all well documented reasons) the the solution he himself has proposed is go home, get that support, relieve the isolation and anxiety, be around your loved ones.

But George would rather collect his $250k for passing go first.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:13 am
Postman Pat wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:48 pm I was on GWilly’s side until he refused the immediate release, he’s not home sick he wants out Canberra on his own terms.

Yep. If there's too much hardship here (and all well documented reasons) the the solution he himself has proposed is go home, get that support, relieve the isolation and anxiety, be around your loved ones.

But George would rather collect his $250k for passing go first.
Yep..
And now it looks like he is trying to negotiate a deal with the Titans for next season...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

So much for being homesick, George… Williams heads to the Gold Coast

Williams is currently holidaying on the Gold Coast - so much for being homesick - while the England halfback tries to resolve his contract termination with the Canberra Raiders.

Predictably, another NRL club has already fielded a call to gauge interest in adding Williams to its roster for next year. It’s a beachside club.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8243c07a32

Absolutely pathetic Williams. EDIT
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Surely we aren't stupid enough to just offer him a release without a clause that he can't play NRL until his contract would have run out. I would rather pay out his entire contract for 2021 then see him playing elsewhere next year
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Please please Donny have your big boy pants on today and insist there is a clause he can only play for a super league club till the end of the signed contract ( 2023)

I hate seeing these players/managers pull all the strings and get the media doing their dirty work
Vaccinated
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If we sit George out, we pay him and don't have $250k to spend on a player this season/frontload an offer with...
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

BadnMean wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:24 am If we sit George out, we pay him and don't have $250k to spend on a player this season/frontload an offer with...
We only pay him if he trains and plays (for reggies), and we would be watching him, breech the contract at all and he would be getting warnings/fines etc

If we hold firm here ( and i reckon we should) we might be down $250k in the cap this season BUT we have shown others we wont be pushed around, discouraging others from trying the same trick
Vaccinated
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Pete Cash wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:34 am Surely we aren't stupid enough to just offer him a release without a clause that he can't play NRL until his contract would have run out. I would rather pay out his entire contract for 2021 then see him playing elsewhere next year
If we are then Furner needs to be frogmarched out of HQ this afternoon.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:58 am
Pete Cash wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:34 am Surely we aren't stupid enough to just offer him a release without a clause that he can't play NRL until his contract would have run out. I would rather pay out his entire contract for 2021 then see him playing elsewhere next year
Perhaps we should look into the purchase of a double barreled cannon?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:04 am
afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:58 am
Perhaps we should look into the purchase of a double barreled cannon?
Or even a triple barreled one?

Need something for Two-Dads.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think there is any chance in hell George is given a release that allows him to play in the NRL this year or next.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

God I hope he's running around for the Titans soon... he'd be a good fit for them.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:15 am God I hope he's running around for the Titans soon... he'd be a good fit for them.
Would combine well with Cam Smith
i've heard Cam has been seen practising his goal kicking at a local oval on the GC... my mail says he's a titan before round 9!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

My mail is we're signing one of the Paul brothers as a replacement.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:19 am My mail is we're signing one of the Paul brothers as a replacement.
Henry Paul.
Oh my, what good times
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:17 am
The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:15 am God I hope he's running around for the Titans soon... he'd be a good fit for them.
Would combine well with Cam Smith
i've heard Cam has been seen practising his goal kicking at a local oval on the GC... my mail says he's a titan before round 9!
They should be announcing his signing... any... minute... now!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:20 am
afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:19 am My mail is we're signing one of the Paul brothers as a replacement.
Henry Paul.
Oh my, what good times
Should combine well with Glenn Stewart.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Homesick huh?