The second half conundrum

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So let me put a hypothetical to each of you, something I was pondering on a drive down to the family farm today for Mothering Day... what would it be like for YOU if you were just plain awful at the second half of YOUR job??

So let’s take myself as an example, I’m a coal technologist, so I design complex mathematical models all day, so this would be akin to me spending the first four hours at work in the morning building a good solid model, with some brilliant functionalities and formulas, and then coming back after lunch and just deleting half the cells and creating circular references before deleting half the files on the server just as I head home for the day,

My wife is an electronic publisher for CQ Health, it would be the equivalent of her designing a brilliant brochure on COVID safety in the morning, then coming back after lunch and then filling it up with anti-vax rhetoric and pictures of lemon party.

What would your poor second half look like?
Last edited by The Nickman on May 9, 2021, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: The Second Half Conundrum

Post by casta66 »

That's brilliant.

I run a car dealership. I'd propose that I AM hopeless at second half.

Sales, enquiries, delivery. I'm brilliant.

But second half
Post sales service, warranty problems, I'm nowhere to be found.
Complete drop off in effort, no relation to my poor fitness levels.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im a data analyst for ACT GOV
I guess my day would look like getting a complex data request about specific performance in our agency and it's trends, spending the first 4 hours taking a huge dataset, putting in all the work to write a looking at the data, cleansing it so it's usable for what i want, writing a macro to provide me the output, testing it, tweaking it, QA checking the preliminary results etc... and then coming back after lunch and **** around on the GH arguing with peopl.... ahh ****.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Im a male Stripper my first half would be getting the kit off and having the ladies and or guys frothing at the mouth, my second half would be doing a hammy mid high leg kick and screaming in agony.
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m a professional poster on a forum known as The Greenhouse.

First half of the day I’m gangrenous. Busting out haikus like they’re going out of fashion.

Then after lunch I log out and back in under my alt account and **** post under the alias...
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: The second half conundrum

Post by rayden83 »

Im an entrepreneur
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m a Risk Advisor. So someone would come to me with an initiative, I’d lay out the risk considerations, compliance requirements, legal obligations and recommend controls to mitigate any risks that might occur.

Then in the second half, I’d tell them “**** it, you do you. Carpe diem, let’s see how this pans out…”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I don't work. I read bad stuff about the Raiders in the morning. In the afternoon I hope things have changed. They don't. At night I've drunk enough to post along those lines...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I’m a Risk Advisor. So someone would come to me with an initiative, I’d lay out the risk considerations, compliance requirements, legal obligations and recommend controls to mitigate any risks that might occur.

Then in the second half, I’d tell them “**** it, you do you. Carpe diem, let’s see how this pans out…”
Hahahaha “do you enjoy gambling? Let’s hit the track!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:Im a data analyst for ACT GOV
I guess my day would look like getting a complex data request about specific performance in our agency and it's trends, spending the first 4 hours taking a huge dataset, putting in all the work to write a looking at the data, cleansing it so it's usable for what i want, writing a macro to provide me the output, testing it, tweaking it, QA checking the preliminary results etc... and then coming back after lunch and **** around on the GH arguing with peopl.... ahh ****.
ACT Government data analyst, match summary.

First half: do great work on the data extract and analysis. Well done Botman.

Second half: realise the data is less positive than the team had talked about earlier. Work out how to spin a negative situation into a positive story whilst ignoring the underlying issues.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

I'm **** all the time, tbh
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Luffto wrote: May 10, 2021, 10:37 am I'm **** all the time, tbh
Well you work for Telstra, so I'm assuming in your unique case at the start of the day you'd ignore customers, frustrate them, hang up on them, put them in long endless queues while spouting meaningless jargon at them, and then after lunch... you'd actually start helping them and provide quality service.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

My mate the greenskeeper. Spends the first half of the day mowing, watering, and fertilising the greens and fairways. Spends the next half of the day ripping doughies in the tractor and spraying roundup everywhere.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

casta66 wrote: May 9, 2021, 7:01 pm That's brilliant.

I run a car dealership. I'd propose that I AM hopeless at second half.

Sales, enquiries, delivery. I'm brilliant.

But second half
Post sales service, warranty problems, I'm nowhere to be found.
Complete drop off in effort, no relation to my poor fitness levels.
Just a standard car dealership then?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: May 10, 2021, 12:25 pm My mate the greenskeeper. Spends the first half of the day mowing, watering, and fertilising the greens and fairways. Spends the next half of the day ripping doughies in the tractor and spraying roundup everywhere.
Hahahaha that's an absolutely brilliant analogy too.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:45 pm So let me put a hypothetical to each of you, something I was pondering on a drive down to the family farm today for Mothering Day... what would it be like for YOU if you were just plain awful at the second half of YOUR job??

So let’s take myself as an example, I’m a coal technologist, so I design complex mathematical models all day, so this would be akin to me spending the first four hours at work in the morning building a good solid model, with some brilliant functionalities and formulas, and then coming back after lunch and just deleting half the cells and creating circular references before deleting half the files on the server just as I head home for the day,

My wife is an electronic publisher for CQ Health, it would be the equivalent of her designing a brilliant brochure on COVID safety in the morning, then coming back after lunch and then filling it up with anti-vax rhetoric and pictures of lemon party.

What would your poor second half look like?
My poor second half would be what I've started calling "Nickman Fridays". I build web apps so my morning would be filled with elegant code and insightful design choices. Come pub lunch at 12 I spend the rest of the day attached to the reschs tap at the local RSL, occasionally logging in to change users passwords and email their financial data to their direct competition. NDAs be damned.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha nice zim... also, how good is Friday pub lunches??
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

They're fantastic :D .
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

Bob 'Bulldog' Briscoe:
[Bulldog carries on with his show] I asked the Raiders defensive line to describe their tackling skills and here's what they said:

Dr. Frasier Crane:
[recording plays] Three little maids from school are we, three little maiddddds from school!