2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by GreenMachine »

Now is probably a better time than ever to promote your young halves...given the level of protection afforded by the NRL...as long as they have some speed and ball playing ability, we should do it...
We'll regret spending big dollars on any of the names being touted in the halfback merry go round...
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

GreenMachine wrote: May 17, 2021, 12:59 pm Now is probably a better time than ever to promote your young halves...given the level of protection afforded by the NRL...as long as they have some speed and ball playing ability, we should do it...
We'll regret spending big dollars on any of the names being touted in the halfback merry go round...
Agree we shouldn’t spend big but promoting someone simply because they are a half back and not because they’ve merited it as a a bad bad idea. At the end of the day we don’t need a champion, we just need someone with a decent tactical kicking game and ability to organise the attack. If we can’t develop one ourselves we should be looking at youngish back up halves at other clubs who want to play regular first grade. Sign them to cheapish short term contracts and if they are garbage then no major loss.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: May 17, 2021, 12:59 pm Now is probably a better time than ever to promote your young halves...given the level of protection afforded by the NRL...as long as they have some speed and ball playing ability, we should do it...
That would look like Schneider at the moment then?

He's done reasonably well in his NSW Cup games, but he's only played a few starts and a few off the bench. Seems to be able to make his tackles looking at stats. Could be promising. There'd be a few in here who saw him play SG Ball or maybe even reggies this year, what's he like?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

IMO, our best option is Jack Wighton and Nicho Hynes as ball running halves, and Matt Dufty at fullback. I think that set up would suit Stuart and his power running style, Hynes is a very good front line defender, so he ticks a box there, and he's probably a better ball player than either Jack or George right now, but you add in Dufty as the fullback, who's an elite ball player at that position, and it would give us the creativity and structure to score points either side of the ruck, whilst maintaining the integrity of the front line

It would also give us a new speed element which is sorely lacking

I think if we could pull those signings off, which clearly a massive IF. That is the best option and one we should pursue aggressively
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: May 17, 2021, 1:38 pm

He's done reasonably well in his NSW Cup games, but he's only played a few starts and a few off the bench. Seems to be able to make his tackles looking at stats. Could be promising. There'd be a few in here who saw him play SG Ball or maybe even reggies this year, what's he like?
He's a goal kicker too...
That's where I think we need to pivot too IMO...
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Agreed. From a statistical point of view Schneider is doing quite well (plus he is a decent goalkicker too). 3 Tries, 6 TA, 4 LBA, 91% tackle eff. If he keeps this up all season, he would be decent foil to Wighton.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

rayden83 wrote: May 17, 2021, 1:26 pm
Agree we shouldn’t spend big but promoting someone simply because they are a half back and not because they’ve merited it as a a bad bad idea. At the end of the day we don’t need a champion, we just need someone with a decent tactical kicking game and ability to organise the attack. If we can’t develop one ourselves we should be looking at youngish back up halves at other clubs who want to play regular first grade. Sign them to cheapish short term contracts and if they are garbage then no major loss.
I'd take a flyer on Chanel Harris-tavita (as unlikely as that option would seem) otherwise I'm promoting our own...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hynes looks like a fullback to me...got all the physical attributes. I just don't see Ricky moving CNK from fullback to accommodate Hynes...

Plus if I'm Hynes and I'm about to earn "fullback money", I'm taking that option over playing halfback where there is greater pressure and less money....No chance we will offer him equivalent money to what the Bronco's offer him to play fullback.

Dufty is a pipe dream....I won't want to do it to myself. Dragqueens will do everything to keep him...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

GreenMachine wrote: May 17, 2021, 2:08 pm Hynes looks like a fullback to me...got all the physical attributes. I just don't see Ricky moving CNK from fullback to accommodate Hynes...

Plus if I'm Hynes and I'm about to earn "fullback money", I'm taking that option over playing halfback where there is greater pressure and less money....No chance we will offer him equivalent money to what the Bronco's offer him to play fullback.

Dufty is a pipe dream....I won't want to do it to myself. Dragqueens will do everything to keep him...
I'm the opposite atm. Hynes looks like a genuine 5/8th to me, having a run at fullback. His ball playing and the way he engages the line is halves level IMO, plus he's not the quickest guy.

I'd still like him at fullback, but halves would probably be better.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 2:15 pm
GreenMachine wrote: May 17, 2021, 2:08 pm Hynes looks like a fullback to me...got all the physical attributes. I just don't see Ricky moving CNK from fullback to accommodate Hynes...

I'm the opposite atm. Hynes looks like a genuine 5/8th to me, having a run at fullback. His ball playing and the way he engages the line is halves level IMO, plus he's not the quickest guy.

can he Kick? because if he's paired with Wighton and Starling we're going to need someone with a pretty decent kicking game
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 2:15 pm

The problem for me is I've seen no evidence of a kicking game...
Nor have we seen him marshal / organise a team ..

That's why I don't see him as a halfback.

Why do we want another genuine 5/8th? Are we shifting Wighton?

I just wouldn't be using yesterday's performance against a 12 man Dragqueen outfit as a proxy.

We've basically played with two 5/8th's and look directionless without Hodgo organising the plays from dummy half....then next minute we jumped on Hodgo for being a ball hog....

Wighton and Hynes in the halves is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Get an organising halfback (preferably youth) and invest in a ball playing fullback and move CNK to centre..

However, I just don't see Ricky doing any of that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He wasn't playing SG Ball. But in the NSW Cup games I've seen him playing in, he's developing well, has good potential. But I wouldn't be bringing him into first grade right now.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We should go hard for Hynes. I think he is going to be a quality half or fullback. Is young enough to evolve into either IMO. Gives us good options and I think settling in Canberra might suite his personality type.

Has good worth ethic and seems like a really good bloke. Wouldn't mind supporting a team with him in it.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

hrundi89 wrote: May 17, 2021, 12:46 pm
Finchy wrote: May 15, 2021, 1:41 pm Is anyone concerned about the complete lack of decent quality halves coming through? I mean, there's the Cleary's and Walker's as an exception, but these are few and far between. None of the other positions appear to be affected too badly, plenty of decent forwards, outside backs, hookers coming through. What is it with the dearth of halves?
Maybe a lot of the smaller blokes playing these roles in juniors got crunched and walked out of the game...?
Entirely possible. But even then, a lot of the one's that haven't left the game are just bog ordinary. I look at the Kyle Flanagans of the world, and think "This is a first grade quality halfback?" What's his strength? Game management? Crazy sidestep or dummy, or ability to fool defenders? Accurate long or short kicking game? Great passing skills? A lot of them don't look capable of doing anything other than catch and pass and put in a crappy kick.

Even players that didn't have strong kicking, passing, defense, or game management skills could still forge a very good first grade career by having one thing they were good at. Blake Austin was fairly crap at passing, kicking, defending, game managing, but had a wicked dummy and step and could single handedly win you a game with some freakish individual attacking ability. Benji Marshall has never been a particularly good defender or game manager, nor a fantastic kicker, but had silky passing and stepping skills and could also win you a game off the back of freakish individual brilliance. Milf back in his day too. Yet I'm not seeing many young halves that even have just one or two great skills that can be sufficient. They just seem really average across the board.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Finchy wrote: May 17, 2021, 6:15 pm
hrundi89 wrote: May 17, 2021, 12:46 pm
Finchy wrote: May 15, 2021, 1:41 pm Is anyone concerned about the complete lack of decent quality halves coming through? I mean, there's the Cleary's and Walker's as an exception, but these are few and far between. None of the other positions appear to be affected too badly, plenty of decent forwards, outside backs, hookers coming through. What is it with the dearth of halves?
Maybe a lot of the smaller blokes playing these roles in juniors got crunched and walked out of the game...?
Entirely possible. But even then, a lot of the one's that haven't left the game are just bog ordinary. I look at the Kyle Flanagans of the world, and think "This is a first grade quality halfback?" What's his strength? Game management? Crazy sidestep or dummy, or ability to fool defenders? Accurate long or short kicking game? Great passing skills? A lot of them don't look capable of doing anything other than catch and pass and put in a crappy kick.

Even players that didn't have strong kicking, passing, defense, or game management skills could still forge a very good first grade career by having one thing they were good at. Blake Austin was fairly crap at passing, kicking, defending, game managing, but had a wicked dummy and step and could single handedly win you a game with some freakish individual attacking ability. Benji Marshall has never been a particularly good defender or game manager, nor a fantastic kicker, but had silky passing and stepping skills and could also win you a game off the back of freakish individual brilliance. Milf back in his day too. Yet I'm not seeing many young halves that even have just one or two great skills that can be sufficient. They just seem really average across the board.
Are instinctive skills being coached out of players? They've all become so systemised nobody really stands out. Walker seems the exception and given the way his old man coached that comes as little surprise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I'm not even sure the Dragons want to keep Dufty...The coach is known to be unhappy with his defense
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the coach is a **** ****
Get him here ASAP
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

With halfbacks in such short supply - and their price tags continuing to climb as a result - the reality is that clubs are planning years in advance in this position (i.e. Souths with Reynolds) and no club can adequately cover for their halfback having a change of heart halfway through their contract. I'm probably not quite as high on George as some other posters, but he's still at a level which just can't be replaced at short notice in the current market. I agree that our most viable route to any sort of relevance in the short term is to find someone serviceable at half and upgrade at fullback given all the quality available in that position. Either Dufty or Hynes would be incredible additions if possible.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders666 wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:17 pm

I'm not even sure the Dragons want to keep Dufty...The coach is known to be unhappy with his defense
He was on the nose with McGregor...
Not sure where he stands with the current coach but I saw an interview with him after McGregor was sacked where he basically said he was enjoying his football more given the certainty around selections in the team...
I don't think the Dragons will lose him...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I don't know how we'd get him early as he is contracted but targetting Dylan Brown when Parra upgrade Moses would be what I would be looking at as Option 1. If Arthurs develops in Reserve Grade they may think he would be prove better value for money while able to upgrade and retain other positions.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Schneider named in 14 for us this week. We might get a preview of what he offers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ok few will agree with me but the much maligned Chris Sandow wants to return to NRL? I would take him, unfairly blamed for any Parra loss, he was one of my favourite attacking players, magic on his day... And an out and out 7. Shouldn't cost too much either...

Between him, Sammy and Schneider there should be enough to work with
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sandow was sort of not very good at his peak... why would we think he's going to be up to the task when he's 33 before a ball is kicked in anger for 2022?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

This place :lol:

A guy who hasn't played in the NRL since 2015. Last played QLD cup three years ago. Currently plays in some bush league **** knows where (I think - if that).

Seriously.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I liked him 😤
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 18, 2021, 9:12 pm I liked him 😤
I liked Joe Picker too.
We dont need to pulling him off the bloody farm to play NRL footy to fill a spot in the back row
:lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it’s pretty clear that Ricky is going to give his up and comers a go, with his selection of Brad Schneider today. I’m stoked for Brad. He’s been going pretty well in NSW Cup but I didn’t expect it. Still I’m glad Ricky is prepared to take the leap, in part because we will know how he goes in first grade. And Ricky has shown in the past that unexpected selections can pay off.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 18, 2021, 8:59 pm Ok few will agree with me but the much maligned Chris Sandow wants to return to NRL? I would take him, unfairly blamed for any Parra loss, he was one of my favourite attacking players, magic on his day... And an out and out 7. Shouldn't cost too much either...

Between him, Sammy and Schneider there should be enough to work with
Can I get your dealer’s number?? I need some of that stuff you’re on!!!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2021, 9:25 pm I think it’s pretty clear that Ricky is going to give his up and comers a go, with his selection of Brad Schneider today. I’m stoked for Brad. He’s been going pretty well in NSW Cup but I didn’t expect it. Still I’m glad Ricky is prepared to take the leap, in part because we will know how he goes in first grade. And Ricky has shown in the past that unexpected selections can pay off.
I agree GE. not sure he will get big mins but if we think he could be our future then it's good to have him in and around first grade ASAP. Look how long Hynes has been playing a fringe role before finding his feet as a first grader.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: May 18, 2021, 9:08 pm This place :lol:

A guy who hasn't played in the NRL since 2015. Last played QLD cup three years ago. Currently plays in some bush league **** knows where (I think - if that).

Seriously.
Things change. The modern game is made for a 5'7" 105kg halfback.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
afgtnk wrote: May 18, 2021, 9:08 pm This place Image

Seriously.
Saw this on NRL360 last night and .... where the hell has this come from? Scratching my head wondering if he'd been playing ESL or something.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: May 19, 2021, 8:30 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Seriously.
Saw this on NRL360 last night and .... where the hell has this come from? Scratching my head wondering if he'd been playing ESL or something.
Obvious where it's coming from. Chris Sandow. He needs the cash. Will be happy to take a contract then phone it in for the year.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 19, 2021, 8:30 am
Northern Raider wrote:

Seriously.
Obvious where it's coming from. Chris Sandow. He needs the cash. Will be happy to take a contract then phone it in for the year.
probably figures he's as good as Albert and Calmmichael

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Exiled star seeking shock NRL comeback

“I’ve still got something to offer and I’ve still got something to prove to myself,” Sandow told The Daily Telegraph.

“I just want that opportunity. A chance, that’s all I want. No club would regret it, no chance. Once I do a full pre-season then it’s game over, I can let my footy do the talking. I found a lot of people don’t really watch the NRL these days because I’ve not played for many years. Once I’m happy – and you’ve seen me play — I play the best footy out there, I guess.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f778d88ed8

Ya hear that?

One pre-season and it's **** game over.

Game

Over.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Might as well have a crack at Blake Austin too