2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Northern Raider »

Green2ooF wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:10 pm We should’ve thrown everything @ Hynes for the no.7 genuine future superstar who is a match winner!!
We couldn't offer him a beach unfortunately
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Green2ooF wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:10 pm We should’ve thrown everything @ Hynes for the no.7 genuine future superstar who is a match winner!!
Hynes at 7 is an interesting idea
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The jury would be very much out on Hynes at halfback imo. He's a great runner and passer/playmaker, but we've seen with Wighton/Luai/Cody Walker/plenty of others that that doesn't always translate into an organising half, far from it
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Admittedly Storm pulled it off with Jahrome Hughes. I still don't know how really. I think they have enough of a systematic attack to get away with it. And his kicking game is underrated
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:22 pm
Pretty sure he's going to Cronulla to play halfback
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:49 pm
I was being a bit facetious
I floated on this very site that we should sign Dufty and Hynes with the idea of playing Hynes at halfback to replace Williams

Id have liked us to sign him but outside of that, im really glad someone signed him to play in the halves. Im VERY interested in seeing how he goes there
Last edited by Botman on July 29, 2021, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

In the halves, yes, not sure about 7.
They are looking at other halves ATM. Even if they signed Delta Moylan
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Canberra Milk wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:48 pm The jury would be very much out on Hynes at halfback imo. He's a great runner and passer/playmaker, but we've seen with Wighton/Luai/Cody Walker/plenty of others that that doesn't always translate into an organising half, far from it
He does look like a 6 playing 1 at Storm. How he goes in a role closer to the action and less space is yet to be seen. As for playing as a traditional halfback I'm not so sure. Has the passing game for sure. Whether he has the organisational skills and tactical kicking game required of that position is untested.

All moot as he's off to the Sharks. This thread is about our next halfback. Not the shoulda, coulda, woulda thread.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:49 pm Admittedly Storm pulled it off with Jahrome Hughes. I still don't know how really. I think they have enough of a systematic attack to get away with it. And his kicking game is underrated
Hard work by both really. His kicking game is now a lot better but he's in such a dominant side he doesn't have to play like a proper halfback 95% of the time. There's not a heap of organizing to do and there's plenty of guys around him to take up a role when he needs to step back. He wouldn't be able to get to this point if he wasn't good enough but the system and team around him are also the perfect path for his development.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: July 29, 2021, 7:59 am
I floated on this very site that we should sign Dufty and Hynes with the idea of playing Hynes at halfback to replace Williams

Id have liked us to sign him but outside of that, im really glad someone signed him to play in the halves. Im VERY interested in seeing how he goes there
It's hard to know what happened behind the scenes but we really should have been a bit more aggressive in trying to get Hynes here. I'd be very surprised if he ends up a dud buy for the Sharks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: July 29, 2021, 10:36 am
Canberra Milk wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:49 pm Admittedly Storm pulled it off with Jahrome Hughes. I still don't know how really. I think they have enough of a systematic attack to get away with it. And his kicking game is underrated
Hard work by both really. His kicking game is now a lot better but he's in such a dominant side he doesn't have to play like a proper halfback 95% of the time. There's not a heap of organizing to do and there's plenty of guys around him to take up a role when he needs to step back. He wouldn't be able to get to this point if he wasn't good enough but the system and team around him are also the perfect path for his development.
Thats an interesting point. Storm's consistent success under Bellamy is not so much about game plans and more about each person knowing their role and executing it. Means that they don't rely in individuals to run the show. It's an evolution from that days when Smith and Cronk were doing just that. They used to be heavily reliant on those key players making others around them better. They now have a lot of pieces are interchangeable. End result is injury, suspensions etc have had minimal impact on their results.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 29, 2021, 3:43 pm
Botman wrote: July 29, 2021, 7:59 am

It's hard to know what happened behind the scenes but we really should have been a bit more aggressive in trying to get Hynes here. I'd be very surprised if he ends up a dud buy for the Sharks.
Absolutely.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Some Lex Luthor level land redevelopment? Bring the beach to canberra.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Parramatta showing how crap they are without a halfback.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Don Furner is on Raider Nick Podcast this week. When questioned about finding a new halfback he broadly stated that there are no realistic options available and they are focusing on developing a young half from within. We have a long road ahead........
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Does Don realise that to develop a player, you have to actually play them... Why hasn't Schneider given a proper shot at Firsts to see if he is up to it.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I'll be **** if there's not a better young h/b that doesn't mind getting banged up and shows some leadership with ball playing ability running around somewhere in this country than Sam Williams, then I'm a monkeys uncle.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

And this country might as well go play soccer.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Or netball
This place is woke.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Question wrote: August 5, 2021, 4:46 pm I'll be **** if there's not a better young h/b that doesn't mind getting banged up and shows some leadership with ball playing ability running around somewhere in this country than Sam Williams, then I'm a monkeys uncle.
Kyle Flanagan?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Not sure if this has been discussed earlier and cbf trawling through the thread, but does anyone think that it is worth giving Hodgson an actual crack at the HB spot?

Some of his touches at first receiver for mine don't look too bad, and playing one wide of the ruck kind of negates his tendency to stifle the play.

With Starling starting to impress me at hooker, Hodgson may need to reinvent himself if he wants to stay on anything close to his current deal (if at all) beyond 2022.

Doing that at HB may be just the tonic, especially seeing as the 2022 free market stocks for number 7s look as threadbare as they do.

He is 32 next year so not a long term solution, but as a medium term solution?

Thoughts?
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The issue is he can't defend at all on the edges. He's legitimately worse than Williams out there, which is saying something... he just cant run with anyone with some speed. He's a witches hat, im afraid.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

If hodgo to 7 isn't the answer, the maybe benji Marshall or Flanagan might be.
Because Sam Williams isn't going to win us Jack ****
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Neither is Flanagan... He sucks

You don't get binned by the roosters after 1 year, and dropped by the worst team in the comp if you're any good.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

A 40yr old Benji is better than Flanagan, Brooks, our Sam and Frawley combined.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'd take Benji Barba (as that galoot Dave Smith called him) too - he won't come here though.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Yeah Benji would fit in nicely - he organises really well this day.

An average defender but far better then williams.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Gutherson is the best realistic spine option available on November 1. We should look at him, even as an option at 7. I'd only be keen if he agitated for an early release. If we keep Hodgson and have Whitehead transition to a ball playing 13 I can see Wighton and Gutherson working well. Others may disagree.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Wiki Special wrote: August 9, 2021, 1:12 pm Gutherson is the best realistic spine option available on November 1. We should look at him, even as an option at 7. I'd only be keen if he agitated for an early release. If we keep Hodgson and have Whitehead transition to a ball playing 13 I can see Wighton and Gutherson working well. Others may disagree.
Not the worst idea but is Gutherson handy with the boot? We need to rely on our 7 to take on the majority of the kicking with Jack as our 6.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raiders_Pat wrote: August 9, 2021, 2:09 pm
Wiki Special wrote: August 9, 2021, 1:12 pm Gutherson is the best realistic spine option available on November 1. We should look at him, even as an option at 7. I'd only be keen if he agitated for an early release. If we keep Hodgson and have Whitehead transition to a ball playing 13 I can see Wighton and Gutherson working well. Others may disagree.
Not the worst idea but is Gutherson handy with the boot? We need to rely on our 7 to take on the majority of the kicking with Jack as our 6.
Fair point.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It seems that Holbrook is of the belief that Sexton and Fogarty can’t exist in the same side as each other.

Could be worth investigating.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So seems we have Ash Taylor on the super cheap?

Still think I would prefer Flanagan from the piss poor options that are out there.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

No mate. Flanagan, Croft, Sammy and Tom Dearden are the worst halfbacks in the comp from what I've seen this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 9, 2021, 3:22 pm No mate. Flanagan, Croft, Sammy and Tom Dearden are the worst halfbacks in the comp from what I've seen this year.
....and I'd take Sam over the other 3.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Just on people saying we should be looking speculatively at kids in lower grades at other clubs, Schneider was the halfback of the last winning national schoolboys team, Raiders won the SG Ball comp with Moala at 7.
Flegg barely played in 2 seasons, NSW cup barely played in 2 seasons.

Where are we finding these speculative signings?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer