2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Ultima »

RedRaider wrote: July 24, 2021, 2:57 pm I don't know that another NRL club would take the risk on Scott unless the Raiders were paying most of his cost. I know we are looking at talent in England. I see that as a more likely place for a player swap. Scott would likely do well there. There must be some 7 in the UK, Union or League, with a good kicking game and who has some footy smarts who wants an opportunity in the NRL.
And based on Scott bitching about lock down all over social media maybe he would enjoy "lets just remove all rules and see" in the UK.

Does anyone have a list of off-contract ESL players? Doesn't really seem to be much I can find easily.

Alternative, I still think we could do worse than Flanagan, for example right now we are currently doing worse than Flanagan who I think just doesn't do well with how the Bulldogs are coached. He was killing it in 2020 so maybe we could pick him up with the Bulldogs paying for most of his wages?
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 24, 2021, 11:21 am I don’t know. Fair go to Pascoe for having a crack. Maybe he was just thinking “The worst they’ll say is no, what’s the harm in asking?”

What’s that expression “Aim for the moon, you might just land on a star.” Had Donny turned around and said yes, Pascoe would have praised for pulling off the biggest coup ever.

He would never have known if he never asked. I like this guy.
This type of audacity reminds me of seeing a fat drunk guy walking around the down stairs moose heads dance floor at 3.00am asking every girl there if she wants to go home with him
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ultima wrote: July 26, 2021, 12:17 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 24, 2021, 2:57 pm I don't know that another NRL club would take the risk on Scott unless the Raiders were paying most of his cost. I know we are looking at talent in England. I see that as a more likely place for a player swap. Scott would likely do well there. There must be some 7 in the UK, Union or League, with a good kicking game and who has some footy smarts who wants an opportunity in the NRL.
And based on Scott bitching about lock down all over social media maybe he would enjoy "lets just remove all rules and see" in the UK.

Does anyone have a list of off-contract ESL players? Doesn't really seem to be much I can find easily.

Alternative, I still think we could do worse than Flanagan, for example right now we are currently doing worse than Flanagan who I think just doesn't do well with how the Bulldogs are coached. He was killing it in 2020 so maybe we could pick him up with the Bulldogs paying for most of his wages?
Don't hate it.
Don't love it.
Also solves a potential GKing issue.

His job can be real simple too.
1. Pass to CHN early
2. Find grass with kicks.
3. Kick goals
4. Make ya tackles.

TBH, that's all we want from anyone at this point in time. A role player/ cog in the wheel.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

There’s no point buying a half that offers no upside to Williams or Frawley. Better to keep waiting it out and hope something comes up for 2023
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yep. It's frustrating because without a decent half it's hard to see us being a contender in 2022.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Toviii wrote: July 26, 2021, 3:10 pm There’s no point buying a half that offers no upside to Williams or Frawley. Better to keep waiting it out and hope something comes up for 2023
TBF, Flanno has age and GKing upside on those 2.
Not sure Schnieder is any worse though.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:Yep. It's frustrating because without a decent half it's hard to see us being a contender in 2022.
Was being a contender next year even a possibility? I’ve had a line through next year since GWilly departed.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He has a better kicking game than either Frawley or Williams. Genuine Fg goal kicker. Probably similar passing game. None of them really have a running game- I guess Sammy knows when to have a probe at it.

Flanagan had some games he looked quite good with the Roosters- yes, caveat in an excellent team with cream all around him. And he looked lost at times at the Dogs, down on confidence and asked to come in age 22 (?) and turn around a bottom 4 team. He wasn't up to that. But it wasn't really a wise decision to make that his job either.

I'd be open to Flanagan on a 1 year +1 option, at the right price. What do we have to lose? He'd be just as good as out current options (who are NEVER getting better) and still MAY have a higher ceiling and turn out to be a handy half.

If we are keeping Hodgo then Flanagan doesn't need to be the general as he was asked at the Dogs, Hodgo does most of that. Jack does the running and dynamics. As said, he'd have a simple job to feed CHN a mix of early balls and short balls and do the kicking.

So not a huge 3-4 year messiah deal. But our share being 400-500k for a year (GWilly money or just under) + option our favour second year. That's a decent buy so far as stop gaps that also may turn out a punt win.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez Flanagan looks like an absolute plodder to me. OK kicking and passing game when he has 20 seconds to get the kick or pass away.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

32 year old Chris Sandow, six years out of the NRL, playing in some bush competition, is probably a better option than Kyle Flanagan*

*Needs one pre-season
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: July 26, 2021, 2:53 pm

Don't hate it.
Don't love it.

1. Pass to CHN early
3. Kick goals
4. Make ya tackles.

TBH, that's all we want from anyone at this point in time. A role player/ cog in the wheel.
I think that game plan might be beyond Flanagan's capabilities.

He was the obvious weak link at the Roosters. They recognised it early and cut him loose. Dogs gave him a shot and he once again came up short.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BJ wrote: July 26, 2021, 7:17 pm Geez Flanagan looks like an absolute plodder to me. OK kicking and passing game when he has 20 seconds to get the kick or pass away.
I dont rate Barret as a coach. So i wouldn't read into this seasons performance.

But the roosters sacking him raises a lot of questions. Without knowing the details, difficult to know if he can recover to be a solid half.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

1 - flanagan was not killing it in 2020. he was coasting off the back of an exceptional roosters team and their coach punted him because he saw it.
2 - brooks is significantly better than williams. if no other options become available you take the upgrade on a 2 year deal and see how it pans out
3 - i'd definitely be giving schneider more of a go this year to see how he pans out
4 - id be playing frawley ahead of williams
Dont delete this GE
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

simo wrote: July 27, 2021, 7:59 am 1 - flanagan was not killing it in 2020. he was coasting off the back of an exceptional roosters team and their coach punted him because he saw it.
2 - brooks is significantly better than williams. if no other options become available you take the upgrade on a 2 year deal and see how it pans out
3 - i'd definitely be giving schneider more of a go this year to see how he pans out
4 - id be playing frawley ahead of williams
Simo has nailed this.

How the hell did we go full circle and end up at Flanagan again? Jeeeezzzz….
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Pretty obvious the club isn't interested in any of the players mentioned who are available and instead is happy to wait for the right player to enter the market. Lets face it, we aren't winning a premiership with any of those players at half back so we might as well tough it out for another year until the right player comes along

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raider Azz wrote: July 27, 2021, 9:01 am Pretty obvious the club isn't interested in any of the players mentioned who are available and instead is happy to wait for the right player to enter the market. Lets face it, we aren't winning a premiership with any of those players at half back so we might as well tough it out for another year until the right player comes along

sounds like a great way to spiral our way to the bottom of the comp. you dont build success by throwing years.
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 27, 2021, 9:14 am
Raider Azz wrote: July 27, 2021, 9:01 am Pretty obvious the club isn't interested in any of the players mentioned who are available and instead is happy to wait for the right player to enter the market. Lets face it, we aren't winning a premiership with any of those players at half back so we might as well tough it out for another year until the right player comes along

sounds like a great way to spiral our way to the bottom of the comp. you dont build success by throwing years.
You also don't build success by recruiting discards from the bottom teams. Playing a longer game in roster management is far better than trying to play catchup every year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Imagine thinking Luke Brooks is the answer 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😁
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 26, 2021, 6:21 pm
Azza wrote:Yep. It's frustrating because without a decent half it's hard to see us being a contender in 2022.
Was being a contender next year even a possibility? I’ve had a line through next year since GWilly departed.
Your logic is circular, but anyway, I am feeling more optimistic about our outside backs situation - however I don't think we are much chance without an upgrade at 7. And I don't mean Brooks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders666 wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:15 am Imagine thinking Luke Brooks is the answer 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😁
Depends on he question.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:08 am

You also don't build success by recruiting discards from the bottom teams. Playing a longer game in roster management is far better than trying to play catchup every year.
yeah if you think a 2 year deal for an upgarde in a key position while no other options are available is going to set you back long term then you are very much wrong. you dont get to play this magical "long game" unless you have a young squad with juniors coming through in key positions. you just end up like the bulldogs are.
Dont delete this GE
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Weird post. The actual way to spiral to the bottom of the comp is to sign a player that doesn't improve the team because of the blind belief that we need a replacement right now.
Waiting one year is not playing the "long game". The club simply believes that who is on the market right now is not any better than what we currently have.
Last edited by Raider Azz on July 27, 2021, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:
Your logic is circular, but anyway, I am feeling more optimistic about our outside backs situation - however I don't think we are much chance without an upgrade at 7. And I don't mean Brooks.
I think we agree, but our timelines are different. I’m looking more to 2023 for us to be successful again.

I’ve said on here before, I’m happy to keep the status quo for next year, keep an eye on Schneider next year and see if he’s worthy of taking the 7 in 2023.

I don’t see the point in signing a young half who isn’t much better than what we currently have, if Schneider could be the way forward.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raider Azz wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:57 am

Weird post. The actual way to spiral to the bottom of the comp is to sign a player that doesn't improve the team because of the blind belief that we need a replacement right now
you dont think brooks is an upgrade on sam williams?? i didnt even contemplate that that would be anyones take. thats on me i guess...
Dont delete this GE
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

simo wrote: July 27, 2021, 11:00 am

Weird post. The actual way to spiral to the bottom of the comp is to sign a player that doesn't improve the team because of the blind belief that we need a replacement right now
you dont think brooks is an upgrade on sam williams?? i didnt even contemplate that that would be anyones take. thats on me i guess...
I don't, the club clearly doesn't, and plenty of other posters in this thread do not believe that Brooks is an upgrade on Williams, or even giving Schnieder a crack next year.

So yeah, that is on you.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raider Azz wrote: July 27, 2021, 11:01 am
simo wrote: July 27, 2021, 11:00 am

I don't, the club clearly doesn't, and plenty of other posters in this thread do not believe that Brooks is an upgrade on Williams, or even giving Schnieder a crack next year.

So yeah, that is on you.
im sorry for not valuing the opinions of plenty of other posters here. just because the club hasnt signed brooks does not mean they wouldnt think hes an upgrade on sam. i guess we dont think cleary is an upgrade either because we havent made him an offer. clearly.
Dont delete this GE
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

**** does cleary have to with anything lmao. way to move the goal posts. cleary is staying put at the panthers. it's been pretty well reported that the tigers have been shopping brooks around and also been pretty well reported that we took a look at him but in the end weren't interested because we didn't consider him enough of an upgrade. all that evidence is in this thread. whether you agree with the club's stance or not is up to you. as already mentioned i agree with them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:57 am
Northern Raider wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:08 am

yeah if you think a 2 year deal for an upgarde in a key position while no other options are available is going to set you back long term then you are very much wrong. you dont get to play this magical "long game" unless you have a young squad with juniors coming through in key positions. you just end up like the bulldogs are.
Needs to be a genuine upgrade for that philosophy to work.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:59 am
Azza wrote:
I think we agree, but our timelines are different. I’m looking more to 2023 for us to be successful again.

I’ve said on here before, I’m happy to keep the status quo for next year, keep an eye on Schneider next year and see if he’s worthy of taking the 7 in 2023.

I don’t see the point in signing a young half who isn’t much better than what we currently have, if Schneider could be the way forward.
Yeah, I'm accepting we won't be competitive for the premiership in 2022 - it's just incredibly disappointing given how long we've waited and it seemed our premiership window was wide open at the beginning of this year.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raider Azz wrote: July 27, 2021, 11:11 am **** does cleary have to with anything lmao. way to move the goal posts. cleary is staying put at the panthers. it's been pretty well reported that the tigers have been shopping brooks around and also been pretty well reported that we took a look at him but in the end weren't interested. all that evidence is in this thread. whether you agree with the club's stance or not is up to you. as already mentioned i agree with them.
ive seen zero evidence that the club isnt interested besides laughing at a swap deal of wighton and hodgo for brooks and mbye. saying the club clearly agrees that sam williams > luke brookes based on that is exactly why i value your take as highly as i do*.

*i dont value it, just in case you derive something else from this
Dont delete this GE
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: July 27, 2021, 11:14 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 27, 2021, 10:59 am
Azza wrote:

Yeah, I'm accepting we won't be competitive for the premiership in 2022 - it's just incredibly disappointing given how long we've waited and it seemed our premiership window was wide open at the beginning of this year.
Things are pretty fluid these days. I wouldn't write off our 2022 hopes until we have Sam Williams trotting out at halfback on 1 July.

If we had money freely available in the past few months we could have made a play for Reece Walsh, Nicho Hynes or Adam Reynolds. It's what made George Williams line of thought that he was doing us a favour by hanging around till the end of the year so funny. His agitation cost us a realistic shot at several mitigation options, we'd have been better off with him walking out in March.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

People may not rate him (for good reason) but Luke Brooks is a clear upgrade on our current halfback options.

He is currently overpaid, is surrounded by numpties and is playing behind a poor pack at the Tigers, but he has a nice running game and has enough vision to actually set up a try.

You'd have to get him at the right price though, closer to $500k than $850k.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 27, 2021, 3:15 pm People may not rate him (for good reason) but Luke Brooks is a clear upgrade on our current halfback options.

He is currently overpaid, is surrounded by numpties and is playing behind a poor pack at the Tigers, but he has a nice running game and has enough vision to actually set up a try.

You'd have to get him at the right price though, closer to $500k than $850k.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Agreed - Signing Brooks is better than Mr Plodder Williams being our main hb next year.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2021, 9:18 pm
Matt wrote: July 26, 2021, 2:53 pm

Don't hate it.
Don't love it.

1. Pass to CHN early
3. Kick goals
4. Make ya tackles.

I think that game plan might be beyond Flanagan's capabilities.

He was the obvious weak link at the Roosters. They recognised it early and cut him loose. Dogs gave him a shot and he once again came up short.
That is very possible.
He is named again this wk, so let's see