All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Sydney_Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:57 pm
Sydney_Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:22 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:15 pm If you haven't realised that Jack Wighton is a major problem in our halves by now then your on another planet.
He needs to be moved to the second row and told to run hard and tackle hard...he can replace that dead weight Whitehead.

Reboot our halves, play Schneider and Moala together and let them get experience. The longer we persist with JW in the halves the worse it will get - particularly if it means we start adding bad recruits like Pearce/Brooks etc...
I've always known Wighton is a problem but with a half decent no. 7 it can be covered. Playing Schneider and Moala in the halves from 2022 is absurd.
Not as absurd as expecting Wighton + Brooks/Pearce to produce anything different....
Play the young guys, let them gain experience, lower your expectations.
This season was embarrassing because expectations were sky high and the failure rested soley on Ricky's inept coaching and every senior player aside from Rapana who put in all year.
I have got to hand it to you. A halves pairing with a combined NRL experience of 1 game. Don't know that you will garner much support for that brainwave.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Sydney_Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 1:05 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:57 pm
Sydney_Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:22 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:15 pm If you haven't realised that Jack Wighton is a major problem in our halves by now then your on another planet.
He needs to be moved to the second row and told to run hard and tackle hard...he can replace that dead weight Whitehead.

Reboot our halves, play Schneider and Moala together and let them get experience. The longer we persist with JW in the halves the worse it will get - particularly if it means we start adding bad recruits like Pearce/Brooks etc...
I've always known Wighton is a problem but with a half decent no. 7 it can be covered. Playing Schneider and Moala in the halves from 2022 is absurd.
Not as absurd as expecting Wighton + Brooks/Pearce to produce anything different....
Play the young guys, let them gain experience, lower your expectations.
This season was embarrassing because expectations were sky high and the failure rested soley on Ricky's inept coaching and every senior player aside from Rapana who put in all year.
I have got to hand it to you. A halves pairing with a combined NRL experience of 1 game. Don't know that you will garner much support for that brainwave.
I could care less about the opinions in here...
The same idiots were more worried about Melbourne's team selection this week than the task we had at hand....I had to chuckle when i glanced the final score last night....
It's a hard concept to understand when you put all your eggs in the "OuR wInDoW iS oPeN nOw" basket.
The reality is we need to start from scratch....we don't have a team that can compete.
Nothing about 2021 proved the current set up is worth continuing with so if we are going to lose matches, I'd rather we gain experience with the younger guy's than rely on signing old hacks to prolong this misguided idea that we are a Pearce/Brooks piece away from winning the comp.
Is it going to get messy? Sure it is. But my expectations won't be hammered as they were in 2021.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'd much rather bring Pearce in and hand him the reins for a year or 2, pair him with Schneider as 5/8 to learn his trade alongside him- Pearce is main playmaker and #1 kicker, Schneider is Campo alongside Daley for a year (classes apart but you get the idea though).

Let Jack rip at lock where all he has to do is run and smash blokes and support the ball + use his passing game as link man rather than main playmaker.

I think that'd be a far better learning experience for Schneider- he'd get to see what a competent half looks like and just chime in with his strengths during first season.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: September 3, 2021, 1:38 pm I'd much rather bring Pearce in and hand him the reins for a year or 2, pair him with Schneider as 5/8 to learn his trade alongside him- Pearce is main playmaker and #1 kicker, Schneider is Campo alongside Daley for a year (classes apart but you get the idea though).

Let Jack rip at lock where all he has to do is run and smash blokes and support the ball + use his passing game as link man rather than main playmaker.

I think that'd be a far better learning experience for Schneider- he'd get to see what a competent half looks like and just chime in with his strengths during first season.
The problem here is you just know our idiot coach will pair Pearce with Wighton and then use the excuse that 2021 was a wash because we were without a decent halfback…
It’s a half measure that says we were simply a single piece away from being competitive.
We all know that’s rubbish.
We went 25 games this season looking like the players met at the car park before the match…cop the tip, this had nothing to do with who played in the halves notwithstanding how out of place Jack looks in his role at the moment…
I’d rather we pivot to youth and lower our expectations.
At least we’ll force some change.
Another season of Jack at 6 and CNK at 1 is too much to stomach…
Then throw in Hodgo at 9 and Pearce at 7? “Yeah nah” as the saying goes…
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:19 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 3, 2021, 1:38 pm I'd much rather bring Pearce in and hand him the reins for a year or 2, pair him with Schneider as 5/8 to learn his trade alongside him- Pearce is main playmaker and #1 kicker, Schneider is Campo alongside Daley for a year (classes apart but you get the idea though).

The problem here is you just know our idiot coach will pair Pearce with Wighton and then use the excuse that 2021 was a wash because we were without a decent halfback…
It’s a half measure that says we were simply a single piece away from being competitive.
We went 25 games this season looking like the players met at the car park before the match…cop the tip, this had nothing to do with who played in the halves notwithstanding how out of place Jack looks in his role at the moment…
Thats signing up for the spoon and 10yrs of disaster
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:43 pm

Your entitled to that view sure.
But what’s the alternative?
11th to 9th spot and pray other teams get their jobs done only to be cannon fodder in week 1 of the finals?
Just enough to keep the coach permanently employed?
We’re not sniffing a premiership the way Penrith, Storm and the Roosters are looking…we need to go long. I don’t believe it will be as drastic as 10years…but I’m not kidding myself either.
The current state is utterly depressing…
It’s actually poetic considering we continued to repeat our boring one dimensional play all season only to continue to fail and shuffle the registered scape goats while clowns like JW and EW got a free pass…
Like I said in a previous thread. We deserve this result because we don’t demand more…
I feel sorry for our fans…not myself. I watch from the comfort of my lounge thanks to Kayo. I’m talking about the poor sods stuck watching the Titans pound us on our home turf in the middle of Winter..
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:05 pm

11th to 9th spot and pray other teams get their jobs done only to be cannon fodder in week 1 of the finals?
We’re not sniffing a premiership the way Penrith, Storm and the Roosters are looking…we need to go long. I don’t believe it will be as drastic as 10years…but I’m not kidding myself either.
It’s actually poetic considering we continued to repeat our boring one dimensional play all season only to continue to fail and shuffle the registered scape goats while clowns like JW and EW got a free pass…
Like I said in a previous thread. We deserve this result because we don’t demand more…
I feel sorry for our fans…not myself. I watch from the comfort of my lounge thanks to Kayo. I’m talking about the poor sods stuck watching the Titans pound us on our home turf in the middle of Winter..
Yup, that game wasnt much fun.
Of course I want more, but burning the house down to spite your face isnt the answer either.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:14 pm

Of course I want more, but burning the house down to spite your face isnt the answer either.
House is built on **** foundations…
We’re playing an outdated game with the wrong components scrounging around trash cans to find a past used by halfback to prolong the misery…

Yeah no thanks.

The 2 or 3 weeks Savage played were easily the best part of this season..
Seeing Timoko and HSS finally get a go too…loved it.

I’m realistic about what happens in a youth drive…others not so. Which probably explains the reluctance…

But it’s mythical to think our fortunes change by only adding a halfback. It’s what Ricky wants you to believe and many are going to lap it up only to be disappointed this time next year..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I reckon Pearce and Wighton could be a very good combo (with a massive caveat) if used the right way i.e. Pearce as primary organiser and Jack playing an impact role. Similar to Hughes/Munster, Reynolds/Walker etc. Unfortunately I feel our coach would fall back into type and play the usual left and right halves structure.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Wighton has the traits to be a solid 6. He wouldnt have been in the mix for origin if that wasn't the case.

The biggest issue is he is error prone. To me it seems everything is dont at 100 miles per hour.

He simply lacks finese. If i were coaching him id get him to practice putting kicks into the in goal and challenging him to come up with runs he wants from his back rowers and centres to cause trouble in attack.

We need more in attack than "jack running the ball". Adding more to his repertoire will actually make his running game more potent.

Everything he does relies on his (superb) athleticism and (exceptional) raw talent.. which is great but it only gets us to a point. All coaches know what he is going to do and its already on the tip sheet.

If he is to keep playing as he is without evolution then i agree wjth other posts on here which suggest to move him to another position.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Northern Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:30 pm I reckon Pearce and Wighton could be a very good combo (with a massive caveat) if used the right way i.e. Pearce as primary organiser and Jack playing an impact role. Similar to Hughes/Munster, Reynolds/Walker etc. Unfortunately I feel our coach would fall back into type and play the usual left and right halves structure.
For next 2 seasons yes. Pearce to help our up and comers develop. Id also rotate more with our younger guys. Pearce isnt built to do a full season of NRL... very injury prone.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:23 pm

We’re playing an outdated game with the wrong components scrounging around trash cans to find a past used by halfback to prolong the misery…

Yeah no thanks.

I’m realistic about what happens in a youth drive…others not so. Which probably explains the reluctance…

But it’s mythical to think our fortunes change by only adding a halfback. It’s what Ricky wants you to believe and many are going to lap it up only to be disappointed this time next year..
This is where you are wrong. Even Ricky sees the blueprint for next yrs team. There is always 1 peculiar pick, coz thats his go, but Ill beat that the sides most people are peddling on the forum at the moment is damn close to what runs out in Rd1 next year. Goes something like:

1. CNK
2. Savage (could be at FB and CNK wing)
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. ?Schnieder?
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Tapine
Backrow of Whitey, CHN and Huddo in some combo

14. Starlo
15-17 Some combo of Sutton, Horse, Guler, Mooney, Rushton, Clay or Kris (there are other guys but these guys were close this yr, so must be in calculations for next yr)

That 17 contains a hell of a lot of youth.
3 of the back 5 are under 10 games.
4 of the forwards will probably hit 50 NRL games next yr, Sutton ticked over 50 this yr, then 3 rookies and Seb with 24 games.

2 rookie halves would be a blood bath! If we dont sign a 7, then it needs to be Schnieder. If after 4wks its a train wreck, then maybe we move on. That said, a Mitchell Pearce for 1-2yrs or a Benji for a yr, might do a guy like Schnieder the world of good.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I agree that we don't need to burn the house down but the truth of the matter is somewhere in between. I have to agree with GreenMachine that we won't be turning things around with the addition of a halfback only. It may be a different story if we were able to bring in somebody of Cleary's calibre but that's not happening. So realistically, we should be cutting people like Hodgson, who is taking up too much cap for somebody whose role is not clear, who is off contract next year anyway, and using that money to upgrade maybe one of the outside back spots and probably second row. Making smart plays like this could make us very competitive in a short space but if we don't address any issues in our squad, we've learnt nothing from this season. I was overly confident admittedly going into this season but my greatest concern was always the fact that we had very little external recruitment going into this season. We brought in James for position we least needed to address and then a fringe guy in Aekins. You need to keep your squad fresh and discard the stale players.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:40 pm

Yeah no thanks.

This is where you are wrong. Even Ricky sees the blueprint for next yrs team. There is always 1 peculiar pick, coz thats his go, but Ill beat that the sides most people are peddling on the forum at the moment is damn close to what runs out in Rd1 next year. Goes something like:

1. CNK
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. ?Schnieder?
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Tapine

14. Starlo
15-17 Some combo of Sutton, Horse, Guler, Mooney, Rushton, Clay or Kris (there are other guys but these guys were close this yr, so must be in calculations for next yr)

4 of the forwards will probably hit 50 NRL games next yr, Sutton ticked over 50 this yr, then 3 rookies and Seb with 24 games.

2 rookie halves would be a blood bath! If we dont sign a 7, then it needs to be Schnieder. If after 4wks its a train wreck, then maybe we move on. That said, a Mitchell Pearce for 1-2yrs or a Benji for a yr, might do a guy like Schnieder the world of good.
You’d give Schneider 4 weeks but watch putrid Jack Wighton for 4 years?

Every positive change that happened in 2021 was FORCED by injury. Let that sink in…

Did you not see that ignoramus pick Croker over Timoko after Timoko played well in his first game this season?

He resigned EW at 33 years old playing like a busted ****…Your putting your faith in the wrong person..

Youth drive isn’t a move without risk but please don’t pretend Ricky hatched the changing of the guard that happened in our backline this season. That’s historical retcon at its finest…

He was forced into these changes and eventually he will be forced to play the younger halves… mark my words.

I don’t care if we miss the 8 the next 3 seasons..if it means a new core gain experience and form a foundation then I’m all for it…it cannot be worse than what we currently have.

This season’s level of disappointment tops them all…

I still have EW’s stupid words about our pack being the best ringing in my ears…talk about putting your foot in your mouth..
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:49 pm

Yeah no thanks.

1. CNK
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. ?Schnieder?
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Tapine

14. Starlo

Every positive change that happened in 2021 was FORCED by injury. Let that sink in…

Did you not see that ignoramus pick Croker over Timoko after Timoko played well in his first game this season?

He resigned EW at 33 years old playing like a busted ****…Your putting your faith in the wrong person..

Youth drive isn’t a move without risk but please don’t pretend Ricky hatched the changing of the guard that happened in our backline this season. That’s historical retcon at its finest…

He was forced into these changes and eventually he will be forced to play the younger halves… mark my words.

I don’t care if we miss the 8 the next 3 seasons..if it means a new core gain experience and form a foundation then I’m all for it…it cannot be worse than what we currently have.

I still have EW’s stupid words about our pack being the best ringing in my ears…talk about putting your foot in your mouth..
Not sure a Dally M and Clive Churchill medalist is putrid, but you are welcome to your opinion.

Yes, if Schnieder sucks after 4wks, you have to move elsewhere. You cant keep putting him out there, coz if you do, all you do is continue to dent the confidence. You send him back to learn on the deficiencies, and if he can, you bring him back, if he cant you move on. Dont mistake losses with sucking either. Us losing doesnt mean he sucks. His part of the whole determines that. The youth movement is ruthless, go look at the NFL.

As for the selections, Ive made my stance on this very clear on multiple threads. Ricky got basically all of them wrong this yr. His 'bring them through slowly' only works if:
A) you are winning
B) the old guy holding the spot isnt sucking

Im not disagreeing that he found the blueprint the long way around either..
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 4:00 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 3:49 pm

Yeah no thanks.

1. CNK
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Rapa
6. Jack
7. ?Schnieder?
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Tapine

14. Starlo

Not sure a Dally M and Clive Churchill medalist is putrid, but you are welcome to your opinion.

Yes, if Schnieder sucks after 4wks, you have to move elsewhere. You cant keep putting him out there, coz if you do, all you do is continue to dent the confidence. You send him back to learn on the deficiencies, and if he can, you bring him back, if he cant you move on. Dont mistake losses with sucking either. Us losing doesnt mean he sucks. His part of the whole determines that. The youth movement is ruthless, go look at the NFL.

As for the selections, Ive made my stance on this very clear on multiple threads. Ricky got basically all of them wrong this yr. His 'bring them through slowly' only works if:
A) you are winning
B) the old guy holding the spot isnt sucking

Im not disagreeing that he found the blueprint the long way around either..
Ahh yes...the Dally M and Clive Churchill argument....lets see...
Man of the match in a beaten team - who really cares?
Regarding the Dally M - Jack looked as surprised as everyone when he won it...your kidding if you thought he deserved it over Cleary, Keary or Tedesco.
The untold fact of the matter is that those 3 players had points cannibalised by other team mates (Penrith in particular with Luai) that gave Jack a free run....
He had his Peanut coach moaning all year to play him at 6 in Origin and when the time came, fluffed his lines...not in an "unusual way" from a Raiders fans perspective. In fact, it was very much Jack being Jack...a typical frog in a sock blunt instrument performance that we have all become accustomed to now as weekly observers...
He somehow rendered a backline of Turbo, Teddy and Mitchell useless...that in itself was quite an achievement.
I don't care about the NFL when it comes to comparing leagues - it is irrelevant. I take a look at our own backyard - Penrith in particular, who went through some rough years to have arguably generational youth coming through...
But I digress...I hope we do sign Pearce now.
I think it's important the current generation of Raiders fans get to experience the Orford saga in the flesh so that they don't beg for the scenario to play out again in the future....every now and then we need to remind ourselves that it can get worse.
Being an older head, my memory is long....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

GreenMachine wrote:If you haven't realised that Jack Wighton is a major problem in our halves by now then your on another planet.

Agreed. I love the **** out of Wighton, but a move to the forwards would be transformative for our team. Lock or second row, I don't care. I agree he would be a great replacement for Whitehead IMO.

...if we had a decent 6 to replace him.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 3, 2021, 5:53 pm
GreenMachine wrote:If you haven't realised that Jack Wighton is a major problem in our halves by now then your on another planet.

Agreed. I love the **** out of Wighton, but a move to the forwards would be transformative for our team. Lock or second row, I don't care. I agree he would be a great replacement for Whitehead IMO.

...if we had a decent 6 to replace him.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
When you guys were saying this earlier in the year I rolled my eyes and shook my head but I'm beginning to think he would be better suited the second row, if love to have the depth in the halves like the roosters seem to, keighran, lam, walker and keary to fit into 6 and 7 next year and im sure I'm forgetting someone
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wighton's regression as a half this year has been alarming.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Northern Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 6:41 pm Wighton's regression as a half this year has been alarming.
8 try assists in 2020, less than 5 in 2019. He was never a great half. He was a decent player, shoehorned into a 6

Interestingly he got 10 try assists this year, which is his most, but less line breaks and tries (11 vs 4 each)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His game is predicated on his running ability
We all saw it last night, how the line opened up perfectly for his left footer, and then breaking through... and he either didnt see it, or simply didnt have the confidence to back himself
12 months ago, he doesnt think twice, even if he doesnt score, he's not passing that up

He's had a poor year, but not because he's not creating as a ball player, that was NEVER his strong suit, but because he's largely been ineffective and seems to have lost confidence in his running game.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

This thread depresses me

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Azza wrote:This thread depresses me

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I only skimmed through a couple of posts, but the ones I did... yeesh.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

We could solve a lot if we signed Kristian Woolf. As the new head coach.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Matt Frawley set for one year contract extension with Green Machine

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

After watching the first 2 Tales from Tiger Town eps I hope for GE's sanity we don't pursue Brooks. Over/under is on him locking 63.5 threads if we do.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

There is no one worth bringing in long term for 2022.

Let’s offer Benji Marshall a deal for 2022 and use him and Schneider and then make a play for someone off contract at the end of 2022 whether that be Dylan Brown or Mitchell Pearce as being as reported.

We can still be competitive next year with a good off season

1. CNK
2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Benji Marshall/Brad Schneider
8. Josh Papali
9. Tom Starling
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Hudson Young
13. Elliot Whitehead

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Trey Mooney
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Horsburgh
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I just turned tigers vs dogs on
Dogs winning 16-0. 38th minutes first half. Brooks kicks the ball straight to a forward fr.the 30m line.

Brooks would probably be a downgradr from what we had this season.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brooks stinks.
I’m 50, haven’t played park footy for over 20yrs.

Still better than Brooks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

benda wrote: September 5, 2021, 5:05 pm I just turned tigers vs dogs on
Dogs winning 16-0. 38th minutes first half. Brooks kicks the ball straight to a forward fr.the 30m line.

If we had a draft to tank for I'd be all in on signing Brooks for a year.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I don't think you need 'probably' in that sentence.

Just in the first quarter or so of the game, Brooks:

* Got run over by Meaney for the first try. Nick Meaney. I like the guy and he played really well today but he shouldn't be able to push his way through anyone in the comp.
* Threw a crashball to Blore on the fifth when Blore had zero percent chance of beating his man.
* Attempted a 40-20 (I think) but barely got it to the other 40m. The Dogs scored in the next set.
* Attempted a snap kick back inside that went to straight to the Dogs.

After that, he was barely sighted but did catch my eye when the Tigers got a penalty on their 10m and he found touch on the 20m.

It was like he intentionally tried to do all the things Raiders fans criticise our current halves (and Hodgo) for.

If there was anyone still thinking Brooks is worth taking a punt on then that game should've ended it. Raiders fans would last between one and three rounds with him in the team before they'd be calling for Williams back.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Ruben Daley wrote:

I don't think you need 'probably' in that sentence.

Just in the first quarter or so of the game, Brooks:

* Got run over by Meaney for the first try. Nick Meaney. I like the guy and he played really well today but he shouldn't be able to push his way through anyone in the comp.
* Threw a crashball to Blore on the fifth when Blore had zero percent chance of beating his man.
* Attempted a 40-20 (I think) but barely got it to the other 40m. The Dogs scored in the next set.
* Attempted a snap kick back inside that went to straight to the Dogs.

After that, he was barely sighted but did catch my eye when the Tigers got a penalty on their 10m and he found touch on the 20m.

It was like he intentionally tried to do all the things Raiders fans criticise our current halves (and Hodgo) for.

If there was anyone still thinking Brooks is worth taking a punt on then that game should've ended it. Raiders fans would last between one and three rounds with him in the team before they'd be calling for Williams back.
I think Tiger Town was quite telling for Brooks, if you didn’t know he was there halfback you wouldn’t even know he was in the team. It’s like he doesn’t say a word, and doubt there editing him out.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:29 pm His game is predicated on his running ability
We all saw it last night, how the line opened up perfectly for his left footer, and then breaking through... and he either didnt see it, or simply didnt have the confidence to back himself
12 months ago, he doesnt think twice, even if he doesnt score, he's not passing that up

He's had a poor year, but not because he's not creating as a ball player, that was NEVER his strong suit, but because he's largely been ineffective and seems to have lost confidence in his running game.
The bloke hasn’t evolved his skill set and his numpty coach hasn’t modified the game plan for 3 years. Opposition teams knew exactly what was coming at them from our left side, and dealt with it easily all year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: September 5, 2021, 7:54 pm
Botman wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:29 pm His game is predicated on his running ability

The bloke hasn’t evolved his skill set and his numpty coach hasn’t modified the game plan for 3 years. Opposition teams knew exactly what was coming at them from our left side, and dealt with it easily all year.
A lot of truth in that
I dont think he really to evolve much of his game myself, i mean it would be great if he did of course. I'd love to see him refine his kicking game, or to develop more consistency with his passing game. But he is perfectly effective in his role, playing the way he does now. We're talking about a guy who has won a lot of individual accolades in that role, and whilst the Dally M medal in particular seemed to expose the issues with that format more than anything else, his play last year was worthy of being in the discussion, even if i dont really think he should have won...

Point is, when he's going well, he's an incredibly good and impactful running 5/8th. But he needs the team around him to be built properly and he needs an attacking structure and game plan that accentuates his skill set.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

You can't coach natural ball playing. I've said this before and got shouted down by the armchair association ...
Jack isn't a natural ball player and will never be..

He's a blunt force instrument and should be played at 12 or 3 where he can run hard and tackle hard....papers stamped to never kick a football again.

But watch, as our pig headed coach picks him at 6 next season; hands him the (c) and then proceeds to sign Brooks/Pearce (name your has-been halfback of the last 10 years) to partner with him at 7.....then cry at the 2022 round 25 Presser about "bad luck" again...

Were in football purgatory until Ricky leaves...
Last edited by GreenMachine on September 6, 2021, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't even mind playing a blunt force instrument at 6 though. But you better make damn sure that the rest of the team is set up accordingly

He's not a 13, he's even less a 13 then a 6. He played a bit there in origin and was just ambling around

Centres need to be fast in Vlandysball, I'm not sure he's fast enough anymore to play centre

I don't mind him at 6 but get a ballplaying lock like Peachey and for god's sake, for the love of all things holy, do not play a prop at 13 and leave Jack just to create everything himself. Total recipe for failure