Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: September 14, 2021, 8:03 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 14, 2021, 5:17 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 14, 2021, 4:54 pm Compared to Taylor?

Not even close. Ashley Taylor is **** garbage. Being cheaper doesn't make him a better proposition - especially when we've already got sufficient funds to allocate to the position.
But why would you spend double the funds or more for a player who is not nearly double the value in output? There are quality players coming available in a month and a half in other positions that would improve our squad significantly... that's where I think the money should be spent at a time when there are no halves on the market worth spending the money on. Paying $600-800k for trash would be going backwards. I honestly think we'd be much better off getting a gun second rower on the left side, and getting in somebody cheap like Taylor whose role would be restricted to kicking in play, putting CHN through gaps and kicking goals.
Because we need someone of a specific quality to come into this team, not someone who may potentially be bang for buck. If that specific quality takes x amount of dollars, and we can realistically afford x amount of dollars, then we should be outlaying it.

A halfback's worth isn't only what they output themselves, it's what they also immeasurably unlock in others.
I'm thinking that with a renewed confidence, he would have CHN running some great lines which would significantly improve our attack. It's definitely better than Brown at 2.5x the price anyway. May or may not be better than Luke Brooks at double.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm pretty convinced the best option is CHT. Not an organising half-back but has real footy in him and NZ under value him imo.

Other than that I can understand a 1 year flyer on minimum wage Ash Taylor. Don't think it will work though.

Signing Peachey as a lock is a no brainer but I doubt it's even been discussed.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Canberra Milk wrote:1. Norman
2. Blake Ferguson
3. Dylan Brown
4. Wighton
5. Josh Dugan
6. Taylor
7. Brooks
9. Cust
13. Peachey

imo
Let me fix that for you
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 15, 2021, 6:31 am
Canberra Milk wrote:1. Norman
2. Blake Ferguson
3. Dylan Brown
4. Wighton
5. Josh Dugan
6. Taylor
7. Brooks
9. Cust
13. Peachey

imo
Let me fix that for you
:roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looking at our halfback options is like discussing which type of bread we want for our **** sandwich.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I would be interested in Cust if he's available, especially if he's only 200-300k

Taylor is a maybe but definitely risky... I'm not sure Canberra is the right place for a QLDer with possible mental health issues (nothing against Canberra)

Brown is a big no thanks, there is nothing about his play that suggests to me he would make a decent halfback

I don't want the man child Pearce for a variety of reasons. He's overrated af to begin with.

I am a little curious to see what we could do with Brooks if he comes at the right price.... so he's a maybe

Normal LOL no

CTH - haven't seen much of him to be honest. I know he had big raps on him a couple of years ago but hasn't seemed to have kicked on. Having CNK, CHN and CTH would be something though...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Peach news....
Are we setting up for:
7. Hodgo
9. Starlo
13. Peach... or at least 14, and playing big mins there.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt wrote:Peach news....
Are we setting up for:
7. Hodgo
9. Starlo
13. Peach... or at least 14, and playing big mins there.
I wouldn't mind that if we can't secure a decent halfback

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm in favour of Sean O'Sullivan (NZ) or Jock Madden (Wests) at a cheap price - probably a little bit more than Williams and Frawley, as opposed to committing large sums of money on Pearce, Brooks or Taylor. Pearce is the best out of the lot but only at the right price. All the above three have their flaws, as well as Dylan Brown.

As someone else pointed out, large long term contracts, if they don't work out, ruin a team for a few years.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I'm in favour of Sean O'Sullivan (NZ) or Jock Madden (Wests) at a cheap price - probably a little bit more than Williams and Frawley, as opposed to committing large sums of money on Pearce, Brooks or Taylor. Pearce is the best out of the lot but only at the right price. All the above three have their flaws, as well as Dylan Brown.

As someone else pointed out, large long term contracts, if they don't work out, ruin a team for a few years.
I have nothing against Dylan Brown except the price tag risk

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the way, you can all strike Lachlan Lam off the list. Raiders not interested: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Apparently the NRL Physio was talking about Ash Taylor on NRL 360 last night. He has a dodgey hip.

I think I'd stick a line through him at any price now. Not interested in busted players.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote:By the way, you can all strike Lachlan Lam off the list. Raiders not interested: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Any other names mentioned other than peach and lam?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: September 15, 2021, 8:10 pm
greeneyed wrote:By the way, you can all strike Lachlan Lam off the list. Raiders not interested: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Any other names mentioned other than peach and lam?

No other halves mentioned.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And Peachey wasn't mentioned as a half, just a "new buy" which would suggest lock or bench

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 7:04 pm By the way, you can all strike Lachlan Lam off the list. Raiders not interested: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
I think Cust is a good player with very limited opportunity at Manly. There would be a reluctance to have his name out in public as Manly are still in this years finals series. I thought he was contracted for 2022 but sometimes players are either squeezed out due to the salary cap or they seek a release for a first grade opportunity at another club. I think he is a skillful player.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: September 15, 2021, 9:58 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 15, 2021, 7:04 pm By the way, you can all strike Lachlan Lam off the list. Raiders not interested: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
I think Cust is a good player with very limited opportunity at Manly. There would be a reluctance to have his name out in public as Manly are still in this years finals series. I thought he was contracted for 2022 but sometimes players are either squeezed out due to the salary cap or they seek a release for a first grade opportunity at another club. I think he is a skillful player.
Always half a chance to lure a guy without FG football with only 1 year to go. It does rely on the other club playing ball. Be up to Dessy...
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: September 15, 2021, 5:56 am I'm pretty convinced the best option is CHT. Not an organising half-back but has real footy in him and NZ under value him imo.

Other than that I can understand a 1 year flyer on minimum wage Ash Taylor. Don't think it will work though.

I'm just not sure CHT is any better than Dylan Brown, i along with pretty much every other kiwi have been waiting for him to breakout, he looks to have the skills but when he's not injured(he's only managed 37 games across 3 seasons) he really hasn't delivered much, he had 2 try assists and 1 line break from 11 games this year, his kicking was also really poor. he's a terrific defender for a half but attack wise he hasn't developed, i think he still might but you really would have hoped to see more from him by now, almost identical to how i would describe Dylan brown, looked terrific in his first handful of games got big money offers and his form has dropped off since, Brown though could be due to the fact he is surrounded by quite a few attacking playmakers in Moses, Gutherson, Mahoney so takes a back seat (perhaps that could be the game plan?)
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Looks like the warriors are picking up Taylor now. Wonder what this means for CHT
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Out of all the halves that are available or could be available CHT is my pick . He has the skills and some toughness in defence. He is still young and will only get better
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

You'd think with Johnson coming in, them eyeing off Taylor and Manu and possibly even Brown, they'll have to be releasing 1-2 of those halves prior to 2022.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

kiwi raider wrote:
julian87 wrote: September 15, 2021, 5:56 am I'm pretty convinced the best option is CHT. Not an organising half-back but has real footy in him and NZ under value him imo.

I'm just not sure CHT is any better than Dylan Brown, i along with pretty much every other kiwi have been waiting for him to breakout, he looks to have the skills but when he's not injured(he's only managed 37 games across 3 seasons) he really hasn't delivered much, he had 2 try assists and 1 line break from 11 games this year, his kicking was also really poor. he's a terrific defender for a half but attack wise he hasn't developed, i think he still might but you really would have hoped to see more from him by now, almost identical to how i would describe Dylan brown, looked terrific in his first handful of games got big money offers and his form has dropped off since, Brown though could be due to the fact he is surrounded by quite a few attacking playmakers in Moses, Gutherson, Mahoney so takes a back seat (perhaps that could be the game plan?)
Thanks kiwi. I have to admit that I've been pretty keen on CHT, but it was based on his early form. I haven't seen a whole lot of him since. However if it's a toss up between brown and him, surely you'd go with him. He is a handy goal kicker (which we'll need when Croker hangs up the boots) and no doubt he'll come across on a whole lot less coin than is being suggested for brown. As you'd know the warriors are an outfit that continue to disappoint and struggle to get the best out of their players. When Bateman left us last year I was very keen on papalii for this reason. Not saying that CHT will have another papalii type type transition, only that it could explain his inability to find consistent form.

deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I’m more convinced CHT is the half back we need to chase.

Pros
Defence - All reports from Warriors faithful is his best attribute
Goal kicking - strikes over 80% which is handy, particularly if Croker retirement stories are true.
Young - heaps of potential

Cons
Injury prone - constantly missing time due to long term injuries
Hot and cold in attack - lots of warriors frustrated cause he can go missing.

He’s no Nathan Cleary but he ticks a few of our boxes that we need right now. If he fixes his attack during his time here, we have pick up a massive diamond in the rough.