Re: Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by afgtnk »

Or someone else?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Seiffert82 »

The eye test tells me Brooks is far more effective than Taylor in almost all aspects.

Brooks' limitations are probably more prominent because he at least stays involved in the contest, whereas Taylor seems to go AWOL on a regular basis.

Taylor checked out under the weight of expectation. Brooks has rightly been criticised, but I do respect the fact he stays involved and appears to be invested in his team's performance. Says a lot about his character.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I would take a punt on Taylor, a one year deal with a 2nd year option in the clubs favour. There is upside to him, just need to unlock his ability consistently.
Get him out of Qld and he can focus on his footy only.

I doubt Flanno would come here, his dad and Ricky don’t really like each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

afgtnk wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:02 pm Or someone else?
Not on board with Brooks at all. GW has really screwed us over. Worst signing in club history as far as I'm concerned.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Out of all the options, I think LUKE BROOKS had the most potential upside. He’s got the tool box to be a good half, but I can’t help but feel his head is messed up being the scapegoat for a mess of an organisation at the tigers.

No options look good, some have more potential.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: June 29, 2021, 12:52 pm Out of all the options, I think LUKE BROOKS had the most potential upside. He’s got the tool box to be a good half, but I can’t help but feel his head is messed up being the scapegoat for a mess of an organisation at the tigers.

Agreed. The list of options are flawed. And TBF, the list of remaining options are generally those who are understood to be shopped/looking rather than chased - LUKE BROOKS, Flanno, Niko, Croft.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:49 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:02 pm Or someone else?
Not on board with Brooks at all. GW has really screwed us over. Worst signing in club history as far as I'm concerned.
It's crazy how we've gone from one of the better halves pairings in the NRL to pining Luke Brooks of all players in just a few short months.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: June 29, 2021, 2:14 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 29, 2021, 12:52 pm Out of all the options, I think LUKE BROOKS had the most potential upside. He’s got the tool box to be a good half, but I can’t help but feel his head is messed up being the scapegoat for a mess of an organisation at the tigers.

Agreed. The list of options are flawed. And TBF, the list of remaining options are generally those who are understood to be shopped/looking rather than chased - LUKE BROOKS, Flanno, Niko, Croft.
Why is it understood Brooks is being shopped? The only thing I've heard is speculation on this forum.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 29, 2021, 2:58 pm

Why is it understood Brooks is being shopped? The only thing I've heard is speculation on this forum.
Look on the Tigers page too.
He was definitely shopped at the end of last yr and start of this yr.
We are returning to the grey line of speculation again though.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Has LUKE BROOKS become the new Luke PAGE
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: June 29, 2021, 3:10 pm

We are returning to the grey line of speculation again though. So sorry GE
What is "the Tigers page" I'm meant to look at?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 29, 2021, 4:25 pm

https://weststigersforum.com/topic/3096 ... -GB&page=1

260 pages.
Have fun.
It's a roller-coaster of ups and downs.
They seem happy with him now that mbye is at 6 though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: June 29, 2021, 7:35 pm

260 pages.
Have fun.
So your source that Brooks was "definitely" being shopped around is the Wests Tigers forum. Who posted it? Radicaltiger?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: June 26, 2021, 10:28 pm MODERATOR REQUEST:

In light of the posting about Luke Brooks engulfing every thread yesterday - the camel that broke the camel's back was someone creating a Luke Brooks thread in the Canberra Raiders board - we asked last night if posters would confine discussion about Luke Brooks to the signing speculation thread and the 2020 new halfback thread (this thread).

It is an entirely reasonable request - people who want to post about Luke Brooks have two places to do it in the Canberra Raiders board. We have been getting complaints about off topic posting, and they're quite reasonable, particularly as there is no evidence of any interest that the Canberra Raiders have in Luke Brooks and vice versa. Please think of other posters and how they use the forum and how your behaviour impacts others.

If you're not familiar with the forum guidelines about the moderation of the site, you can read them here: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10740

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
I'll move this up... just so everyone’s clear.

And just to be clear, the site guidelines have, for many years, indicated that we don't accept posts complaining about the moderation. If you have a complaint, approach an administrator or moderator of your choice.

Thanks in advance for everyone's cooperation.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:22 pm

260 pages.
Have fun.
So your source that Brooks was "definitely" being shopped around is the Wests Tigers forum. Who posted it? Radicaltiger?
There is also a mountain of media stuff. Here are a few:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6e0c03c75a

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c6f225e03b

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/maguir ... 57ib6.html

There are also a few saying he isnt going anywhere, incl from the player himself.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/26/has ... s-expense/

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/hastin ... 57kcx.html

So, I think its "where there's smoke there's fire", but who knows?!?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: June 30, 2021, 12:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:22 pm

260 pages.
Have fun.
There is also a mountain of media stuff. Here are a few:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6e0c03c75a

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c6f225e03b

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/maguir ... 57ib6.html

There are also a few saying he isnt going anywhere, incl from the player himself.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/26/has ... s-expense/

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/hastin ... 57kcx.html

So, I think its "where there's smoke there's fire", but who knows?!?
Those articles are 100% media speculation that the club would be looking to move him on. The only smoke is that coming from journalists aiming to fill column space. Everything else is the usual disgruntled fanspeak following a couple of losses.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Imo there is no point trying to find a stop gap solution. Those unsigned are unsigned for a reason and I strongly doubt they are apt at playing V'landysball. This is what we need to search for in our recruitment for a halfback. And is why I don't think we need to rush into a signing. Yes I would love to win a premiership in 2022 however, there is 0.1% of that happening. Think long term and what will win us a premiership in 2024, 2025 ala what Panthers are doing. What we best do is give Schneider a go in 2022 with the hope he is the halfback talent we want for our future. If early signs aren't great we go for someone off contract in 2023 or 2024 and try to get them to break their contract early ala Charnze, CHN etc. I'd even prefer sit with Williams for 2022 if it means finding a gun half for 2023 or 2024 or a half who we know is quality though stuck behind other quality ala Burton at the Panthers.

We see the stuffing around clubs do by buying these stop gap, mostly ineffectual players (Bulldogs and Flanagan, Tigers and Roberts, Broncos and Hunt etc.). We're at risk of becoming part of that same revolving door of dud recruitment if we go down the Widdop, Taylor, Milford, Pearce track. Look long term, be patient and accept that if we get the right structures in place (coaching, conditioning etc), yes there may be short term pain but we can find that long term gain.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raider47 wrote: June 30, 2021, 2:52 pm Imo there is no point trying to find a stop gap solution. Those unsigned are unsigned for a reason and I strongly doubt they are apt at playing V'landysball. This is what we need to search for in our recruitment for a halfback. And is why I don't think we need to rush into a signing. Yes I would love to win a premiership in 2022 however, there is 0.1% of that happening. Think long term and what will win us a premiership in 2024, 2025 ala what Panthers are doing. What we best do is give Schneider a go in 2022 with the hope he is the halfback talent we want for our future. If early signs aren't great we go for someone off contract in 2023 or 2024 and try to get them to break their contract early ala Charnze, CHN etc. I'd even prefer sit with Williams for 2022 if it means finding a gun half for 2023 or 2024 or a half who we know is quality though stuck behind other quality ala Burton at the Panthers.

We see the stuffing around clubs do by buying these stop gap, mostly ineffectual players (Bulldogs and Flanagan, Tigers and Roberts, Broncos and Hunt etc.). We're at risk of becoming part of that same revolving door of dud recruitment if we go down the Widdop, Taylor, Milford, Pearce track. Look long term, be patient and accept that if we get the right structures in place (coaching, conditioning etc), yes there may be short term pain but we can find that long term gain.
Gus started his 5 year plan for the Panthers 10 years ago. Might need to wait beyond 2024/25 if we head down that path. :D

On topic regarding halfback going forward. 1st thing to do is re-sign Sam Williams so we at least have a fallback option. As for Schneider they need to determine if he's got more potential than all the other reserve grade halfbacks. If there's better options out there stuck behind established 1st graders then those should be targets. I can't suggest any options there as don't see enough NSW Cup. I'll assume there's nobody in QLD Cup considering the ordinary halves running around 1st grade for the QLD based NRL teams.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Raider47 wrote: June 30, 2021, 2:52 pm Imo there is no point trying to find a stop gap solution. Those unsigned are unsigned for a reason and I strongly doubt they are apt at playing V'landysball. This is what we need to search for in our recruitment for a halfback. And is why I don't think we need to rush into a signing. Yes I would love to win a premiership in 2022 however, there is 0.1% of that happening. Think long term and what will win us a premiership in 2024, 2025 ala what Panthers are doing. What we best do is give Schneider a go in 2022 with the hope he is the halfback talent we want for our future. If early signs aren't great we go for someone off contract in 2023 or 2024 and try to get them to break their contract early ala Charnze, CHN etc. I'd even prefer sit with Williams for 2022 if it means finding a gun half for 2023 or 2024 or a half who we know is quality though stuck behind other quality ala Burton at the Panthers.

Don't know what you're referring to with the bolded. Flanagan also I don't think is meant as a stopgap, since the Dogs are trying to do a mass rebuild - he just flat out sucks.

We do need to re-sign Williams though, whether that be as a stopgap first stringer, or again as back up half. It's between Frawley and Schneider for the fourth halves spot if Sam becomes the latter IMO.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Would LUKE BROOKS be considered a stop gap ineffectual player?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So with all the excitement about the young outside backs re-signing we now come to a key position in an NRL footy team. I think our season is done and dusted and as soon as Sticky agrees then I hope we see a lot more of Schneider on the field this year. He is tall for a halfback and hopefully will be given some game time to show his skill set to the Raiders faithful.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: June 30, 2021, 7:04 pm So with all the excitement about the young outside backs re-signing we now come to a key position in an NRL footy team. I think our season is done and dusted and as soon as Sticky agrees then I hope we see a lot more of Schneider on the field this year. He is tall for a halfback and hopefully will be given some game time to show his skill set to the Raiders faithful.
There's the big issue. You (among other fans) are willing to write off this season when we sit in 10th spot and 1 win behind the top 8. We could even be in the 8 after this weekend. So don't hold your breath waiting for Sticky to write it off. He does not give up as quickly as the fans do.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 1, 2021, 10:10 am
RedRaider wrote: June 30, 2021, 7:04 pm So with all the excitement about the young outside backs re-signing we now come to a key position in an NRL footy team. I think our season is done and dusted and as soon as Sticky agrees then I hope we see a lot more of Schneider on the field this year. He is tall for a halfback and hopefully will be given some game time to show his skill set to the Raiders faithful.
There's the big issue. You (among other fans) are willing to write off this season when we sit in 10th spot and 1 win behind the top 8. We could even be in the 8 after this weekend. So don't hold your breath waiting for Sticky to write it off. He does not give up as quickly as the fans do.
100% correct and nor should he
I would expect the coach and players feel that if they can get a ticket to the dance, anything can happen. Coaches and players typically aren't in the business of not believing they can win a comp unless its mathematically impossible to do so.
I bet if you polled the team right now, they would all, to a man, say they have the talent and ability to stack some wins, sneak into the top 6 and win the comp.

They're wrong, but you simply don't get to their level of competition without having supreme and sometimes deluded belief in your own abilities. Until they are ruled out they'll continue to treat the games and the season as if their ultimate goal is still achievable. As they should. As frustrating as that is for fans who rightly see this is not a premiership team and would like to see us use this time to start working on things for 2022 and beyond
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Agree. Sign a stop gap and you risk missing out on a better solution that comes up when another side falls under cap pressure. The options available now are absolutely underwhelming.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:09 pm

Agree. Sign a stop gap and you risk missing out on a better solution that comes up when another side falls under cap pressure. The options available now are absolutely underwhelming.
No club under salary cap pressure will be releasing a half back of any decent quality.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Green Blogger wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:51 pm No club under salary cap pressure will be releasing a half back of any decent quality.
That's what I'm thinking... I'm wondering from where this halfback is going to miraculously appear? I think people need to be a little more realistic when it comes to our options moving forward.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:56 pm
Green Blogger wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:51 pm No club under salary cap pressure will be releasing a half back of any decent quality.
That's what I'm thinking... I'm wondering from where this halfback is going to miraculously appear? I think people need to be a little more realistic when it comes to our options moving forward.
Don't we just pluck one from the halfback tree when it's ripe?

Here are the current starting halfbacks:

Nathan Cleary
Sam Walker
Jarome Hughes
Mitchell Moses
Adam Reynolds
Daley Cherry-Evans
Ben Hunt
Shaun Johnson
Chad Townsend
Mitchell Pearce
Jamal Fogarty
Luke Brooks
Tom Dearden
Brodie Croft
Jake Averillo
Sam WIlliams

The ones bolded are those not contracted for 2022.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

What about Jakob Arthur?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Listening to DFJ on the Raiders Podcast, looks like we will bide our time and not rush into things. Seems like we hope Brad Schneider will come up trumps in 2022.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

"We are hoping Sammy Williams goes around for another year"

Sounds like he will be re-signed, interesting he's talking about him like he's 35, not 30

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I began the season full of hope and confidence NR. I expected us to be 80 minute competitive. We are not as the 2nd half fade outs show week after week. NRL teams must compete for the entire game. You may not agree that it is time to plan for the future like I do.

Sticky will not say we are gone in 21. Of course he won't, but he can build for the future via his selection of young players. I hope he does.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

There is such slim pickings at the moment. I cannot understand why we wouldn't roll the dice with Milford. I know he is out of form but he has the potential to be one of if not the most damaging players in the game. He is not to be for the Broncos mess however he seems to be the scape goat
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:09 pm Agree. Sign a stop gap and you risk missing out on a better solution that comes up when another side falls under cap pressure. The options available now are absolutely underwhelming.
Do you really though? A 1-2 year deal, that should barely affect your ability to sign anyone else? You'll be competing against other teams when good players come off contract anyway... they'll just move players on to make room in their salary cap. And we'll be in no better position than them

I have no idea why we're happy to sign excess backs, excess middles... but baulk at signing an extra half
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: July 1, 2021, 8:02 pm
I began the season full of hope and confidence NR. I expected us to be 80 minute competitive. We are not as the 2nd half fade outs show week after week. NRL teams must compete for the entire game. You may not agree that it is time to plan for the future like I do.

Sticky will not say we are gone in 21. Of course he won't, but he can build for the future via his selection of young players. I hope he does.
Put it this way. If any of our coaches or players give up on the season at this stage then they can walk out the door an never come back.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Canberra Milk wrote: July 1, 2021, 8:25 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:09 pm Agree. Sign a stop gap and you risk missing out on a better solution that comes up when another side falls under cap pressure. The options available now are absolutely underwhelming.
Do you really though? A 1-2 year deal, that should barely affect your ability to sign anyone else? You'll be competing against other teams when good players come off contract anyway... they'll just move players on to make room in their salary cap. And we'll be in no better position than them

I have no idea why we're happy to sign excess backs, excess middles... but baulk at signing an extra half
I'd be on board if these were bargain basement deals. All speculation is even halves showing the form levels of Milford, SJ and the Tiger who shall not be named are asking for 400-500k +. That's still a pretty decent chunk of cap these days.