Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Green Blogger wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:51 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 1, 2021, 1:09 pm
Raider47 wrote: June 30, 2021, 2:52 pm Imo there is no point trying to find a stop gap solution. Those unsigned are unsigned for a reason and I strongly doubt they are apt at playing V'landysball. This is what we need to search for in our recruitment for a halfback. And is why I don't think we need to rush into a signing. Yes I would love to win a premiership in 2022 however, there is 0.1% of that happening. Think long term and what will win us a premiership in 2024, 2025 ala what Panthers are doing. What we best do is give Schneider a go in 2022 with the hope he is the halfback talent we want for our future. If early signs aren't great we go for someone off contract in 2023 or 2024 and try to get them to break their contract early ala Charnze, CHN etc. I'd even prefer sit with Williams for 2022 if it means finding a gun half for 2023 or 2024 or a half who we know is quality though stuck behind other quality ala Burton at the Panthers.

We see the stuffing around clubs do by buying these stop gap, mostly ineffectual players (Bulldogs and Flanagan, Tigers and Roberts, Broncos and Hunt etc.). We're at risk of becoming part of that same revolving door of dud recruitment if we go down the Widdop, Taylor, Milford, Pearce track. Look long term, be patient and accept that if we get the right structures in place (coaching, conditioning etc), yes there may be short term pain but we can find that long term gain.
Agree. Sign a stop gap and you risk missing out on a better solution that comes up when another side falls under cap pressure. The options available now are absolutely underwhelming.
No club under salary cap pressure will be releasing a half back of any decent quality.
Sam Walker, Reece Walsh, Matt Burton. All pretty handy halves options who have been released early or left their club for an opportunity the past couple of years.

But yes, we should sign Milford for 450k just because he's available.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Any chance of a Sezer return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Danaman137 wrote: July 2, 2021, 1:01 am Any chance of a Sezer return?

I’m unsure it ended well (what is it with Stick and halves?) but I’d be all for it. Better option than what we have currently so why not!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

What are people's thoughts on Cory paix? Captained under 20s origin for Qld at half in 2019. It seems they have tried to convert him into a hooker. Seems to be a good defender (stats wise). Anyone rate him in attack?

Just thinking that if hodgo to Broncos pans out the way we expect then perhaps we should make a play at this kid and let Schneider and him fight it out for half next year
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

If it turns out LUKE BROOKS isn’t the answer, I’d be happy to look a someone like Paix who has showed talent coming through and got caught in a cluster at his club.

Cage fight with Schneider, Paix, Lam, Cooper Johns…. Last man standing. Should only cost us GWillys $600k as well.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

He wasn't happy at the club by the end of it so I doubt it..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: July 2, 2021, 7:38 am

How happy is he with his current gig?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Northern Raider wrote: July 2, 2021, 8:13 am
Raiders666 wrote: July 2, 2021, 7:38 am

How happy is he with his current gig?
How would I know? I'm just going off an interview he had after he left, that he wasn't enjoying footy in Canberra
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

You don't come back to the coach who sacked you after being the GF halfback in a clear message that, "the wrong ingredient here is our halfback. Ie You. " Coaches don't recall halves who they have summarily dismissed after a GF run. Forget it.

Corey Paix... seems to be going better at hooker than he ever did at halfback.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I think we need to move on from sezer. he didn't get the job done last time he was here and that was with absolute guns outside him in Bateman and a red hot Leipana. in an inferior competiton his team currently sits 10th in a 12 team competition.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Probably an unpopular opinion.....

But now i would be looking at seeing if we can get milford here for the rest of the year with the broncos paying some of his salary. And sign him for 400ish. He is one of the better halves available and i think with guys like papa and sia helping with his attitude etc he should be able to focus and start playing his best football. Id only be offereing him a deal for the rest of this year and next with a club option for 2023.
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Whoever we sign to play the spot is likely going to be a bad option
they key is going to be getting the best we can do whilst maintaining flexibility... be it Flanagan, Widdop, BROOKS, Milford, or just doubling down with Sam Williams, we should be doing 1 year prove it deals and 2 years max... maintain that flexibility to identify and obtain a long term answer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: July 2, 2021, 10:18 am Whoever we sign to play the spot is likely going to be a bad option
they key is going to be getting the best we can do whilst maintaining flexibility... be it Flanagan, Widdop, BROOKS, Milford, or just doubling down with Sam Williams, we should be doing 1 year prove it deals and 2 years max... maintain that flexibility to identify and obtain a long term answer
Im at the point where I think we should just stick with Sammy. This yeah is a write off, and I'm not expecting anything spectacular next year regardless of who we pick up. May as well stick with Sammy while we assess Schneider. If Schneider's no good, we can then see who's out there in market to nab.

We know what Sammy brings, feedback from the players is that he brings a positive energy to the field, so why not.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m happy keeping Sam Williams on the basis that although he is the best half in the club his role is purely to facilitate the emergence of someone better than him. We play Schneider and any other young half we can get our hands on ahead of him and Sammy gets a run when Schneider needs a rest from the heat of first grade or time to work on aspects in reggies. It needs to be clear that Sam is not there to lead us to glory but to help us uncover someone who will.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2021, 2:27 pm I’m happy keeping Sam Williams on the basis that although he is the best half in the club his role is purely to facilitate the emergence of someone better than him. We play Schneider and any other young half we can get our hands on ahead of him and Sammy gets a run when Schneider needs a rest from the heat of first grade or time to work on aspects in reggies. It needs to be clear that Sam is not there to lead us to glory but to help us uncover someone who will.
That said if he does decide to lead us to glory, and is successful in doing so, I won't say no
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 2, 2021, 3:42 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2021, 2:27 pm I’m happy keeping Sam Williams on the basis that although he is the best half in the club his role is purely to facilitate the emergence of someone better than him. We play Schneider and any other young half we can get our hands on ahead of him and Sammy gets a run when Schneider needs a rest from the heat of first grade or time to work on aspects in reggies. It needs to be clear that Sam is not there to lead us to glory but to help us uncover someone who will.
That said if he does decide to lead us to glory, and is successful in doing so, I won't say no
Yeah I’ll allow it I guess. :thumbsup
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Well Donnie F, if after last nights shambolic debacle, your plan remains as you stated during the week to run with Sam Williams for next year and get into the player market for a half for 2023, you are dead set kidding. If you expect to roll that swill out for the next 18 months and have us turn up and sit in the cold you don’t understand your market. For all of the flaws in the available halves, one of them wearing a Titans jumper last night clearly demonstrated they are many levels above what Sam Williams can deliver.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Green Blogger wrote: July 4, 2021, 9:25 am Well Donnie F, if after last nights shambolic debacle, your plan remains as you stated during the week to run with Sam Williams for next year and get into the player market for a half for 2023, you are dead set kidding. If you expect to roll that swill out for the next 18 months and have us turn up and sit in the cold you don’t understand your market. For all of the flaws in the available halves, one of them wearing a Titans jumper last night clearly demonstrated they are many levels above what Sam Williams can deliver.
If the club has no ambition to improve and perpetuates this "jobs for the boys" crap that sees Croker, Raps and Sammy guaranteed spots for life then I won't bother forking out for a membership again. I can watch us get thrashed at home just fine.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Green Blogger wrote:Well Donnie F, if after last nights shambolic debacle, your plan remains as you stated during the week to run with Sam Williams for next year and get into the player market for a half for 2023, you are dead set kidding. If you expect to roll that swill out for the next 18 months and have us turn up and sit in the cold you don’t understand your market. For all of the flaws in the available halves, one of them wearing a Titans jumper last night clearly demonstrated they are many levels above what Sam Williams can deliver.
Did he seriously say that they plan on running with Williams next year…. OMFG. I’m deadset done if that’s the case…. I’d rather Taylor any day of the week

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If Sam is our main man in 22 we can close this thread.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

There is literally no apparent long term option we can sign for 2022. Others may not agree but I feel our best play is to get a player like, let's use Ash Taylor as an example, to come next year on a contract worth George Williams money with a Team Option for 2023. If the player works out we can keep him, if not a more attractive option may present itself.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Thankfully my 22 year old daughter has re-introduced me to AFL after a half century absence. When a bottom team like the Giants, missing nearly half their first grade side, can beat the top of the table Demons you know they’re doing a better job.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

No one suitable on the market, could be doubts looking at the UK due to the Bateman and Williams debacle. I don’t watch Union but is there any local talent from the ACT Brumbies who could play halfback?

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

At the right price, Ash Taylor has been decent this season

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Nadruku wrote: July 4, 2021, 4:31 pm No one suitable on the market, could be doubts looking at the UK due to the Bateman and Williams debacle. I don’t watch Union but is there any local talent from the ACT Brumbies who could play halfback?

I've always thought the Yu Tamura would be an interesting 'Wighton' style half, but I thought it for too long and now he's 32 and it's too late.

Better than Wighton, too, I reckon.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: July 5, 2021, 4:34 pm At the right price, Ash Taylor has been decent this season

Yeah maybe.

Depends if he is willing to play for 500k instead of nearer to his current million.

His defence is probably better than guys like Brooks or Nikorima (or Reynolds for that matter) but not quite as good as good defensive halves like Moses or GWilly.

There was a time a few years ago he was a main kicker and he'd come up with as many forced drop outs as any other half- honestly not got a read on his long kicking game really but GC kicked us off the park on Saturday. He had a few try assists in him too. I wouldn't say he was gamebreaker but he certainly more than say a Sezer. He'd contribute as many assists as someone like GWilly in a season, but be less of a running threat himself.

It would be better than SWilly and punting on Schneider. But it'd have to be something like 450/500k + second year at 550/600k in the clubs favour option. At his best he offers more than Sezer but just slightly less than Gwilly. He is different to GWilly though and closer to the steadying, directing half we could use.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

EDIT.

If Taylor is the best you can get, then do it, but we cant be investing heavily in either money or years on any of these players. They are bandaids, and poor ones at that... if by some chance they arrive his and suddenly a penny drops and they're stars and you have to pay them as such, so be it... the risk of that is acceptable given the risk of committing serious roster captial, be that salary, years or both, on a player who likely wont be the answer.

Do the best we can, and keep throwing darts whilst maintaining flexibility to find our long term answer.
Last edited by greeneyed on July 5, 2021, 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Inaccurate comment about moderation.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Correct me
If I’m wrong, but Hasnt Taylor spent his career playing left side? And BROOKS has spent at least a chunk of his career on the right?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

BadnMean wrote: July 5, 2021, 8:15 pm
bonehead wrote: July 5, 2021, 4:34 pm At the right price, Ash Taylor has been decent this season

Yeah maybe.

Depends if he is willing to play for 500k instead of nearer to his current million.

His defence is probably better than guys like Brooks or Nikorima (or Reynolds for that matter) but not quite as good as good defensive halves like Moses or GWilly.

There was a time a few years ago he was a main kicker and he'd come up with as many forced drop outs as any other half- honestly not got a read on his long kicking game really but GC kicked us off the park on Saturday. He had a few try assists in him too. I wouldn't say he was gamebreaker but he certainly more than say a Sezer. He'd contribute as many assists as someone like GWilly in a season, but be less of a running threat himself.

It would be better than SWilly and punting on Schneider. But it'd have to be something like 450/500k + second year at 550/600k in the clubs favour option. At his best he offers more than Sezer but just slightly less than Gwilly. He is different to GWilly though and closer to the steadying, directing half we could use.
You must be watching a different game, BnM. Taylor better than Brooks defensively? Moses considered a good defensive half, up there with George Williams?

Definitely news to me - unless you're referring to circa 2016 Luke Brooks, and the other half at the Eels.

You're one of the big stats guys on here. Here you go, from about a week or two ago:

afgtnk wrote: June 27, 2021, 5:53 pm Brooks

16.46 tackles per game
0.14 missed tackles to tackles made ratio
82% efficiency
2.2 one on one tackles per game

Taylor

14 tackles per game
0.25 missed tackles to tackles made ratio
76% efficiency
1 one on one tackle per game

Eye: Brooks is far better. Taylor is basically what Brooks used to be.... still.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: July 5, 2021, 8:39 pm Correct me
If I’m wrong, but Hasnt Taylor spent his career playing left side? And BROOKS has spent at least a chunk of his career on the right?

No i think brooks has played almost exclusively on the left also.
Douehi, mbye, J reynolds, Moses, Marshall and Lolohea among others were the right side halves
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Think people get way too caught up in this left side right side stuff. As if a half stationed on one side, as per the modern trend of the game, automatically means they can't play the other.

Someone like Brooks spends the majority on the left, but very often plays on the right too to link up there, albeit not quite as wide as he does on the left. He'd have no trouble playing on the right IMO.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

BadnMean wrote: July 5, 2021, 8:15 pm

Yeah maybe.

He was getting 20+ assists, he was better than GWilly, comfortably. Teams weren't *completely* mad to throw money at him, they just paid too much and the market was hot for halfbacks at the time
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Shouts to this thread.
Any time i think im as depressed about the Raiders future i could be and there is no deeper i can go, i can just wander into this thread and realise i'm not even close to rock bottom.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: July 5, 2021, 8:39 pm Correct me
I think both have played both. But yes, I believe that's the case.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Shouts to this thread.
Any time i think im as depressed about the Raiders future i could be and there is no deeper i can go, i can just wander into this thread and realise i'm not even close to rock bottom.
anything to believe in

Edrick The Entertainer