2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by Ruben Daley »

If we got Reynolds right now, that'd be great. We could probably contend for a premiership this year. But anything more than beyond next season is too long for me.

18 months ago, Hodgo was still a top three hooker in the whole comp. Now half this forum is ready to move him on and very few others are arguing against it. Yet Reynolds is only nine months younger than Hodgo. He is small and regularly injured. It wouldn't take much for him to become a liability. Anyone talking three years isn't thinking back to three years ago to see how much happens in the NRL in that time. It was only a year and a half ago (i.e. half the time we're talking about) that Croker had just finished a season in which he'd bagged 13 tries.

I love the idea that Milford could return and be a Rookie Raider version of himself, bringing X-factor on the daily. But it isn't happening. I just don't think he can physically re-capture anywhere near that kind of performance, even if he had the desire and determination to try to bring it back - which he doesn't appear to have.

I seriously cannot believe anyone is entertaining Luke Brooks. I will play halfback if we're that desperate.

Johnson is the best of a pretty woeful set of options. As has been said above, he is still very dangerous if given a platform to operate and he would be working with a strong half partner for the first time in his career. But, again, he'll be 31 this year and has had a number of pretty big injuries. It's a short-term plan at best. And it's not an auto-premiership contender play either.

Not sure what the solution is but I don't think it's coming out of this list of candidates.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I don't think we have enough Coreys. Corey Norman is a Corey.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 11, 2021, 5:11 pm If we got Reynolds right now, that'd be great. We could probably contend for a premiership this year. But anything more than beyond next season is too long for me.

18 months ago, Hodgo was still a top three hooker in the whole comp. Now half this forum is ready to move him on and very few others are arguing against it. Yet Reynolds is only nine months younger than Hodgo. He is small and regularly injured. It wouldn't take much for him to become a liability. Anyone talking three years isn't thinking back to three years ago to see how much happens in the NRL in that time. It was only a year and a half ago (i.e. half the time we're talking about) that Croker had just finished a season in which he'd bagged 13 tries.

I love the idea that Milford could return and be a Rookie Raider version of himself, bringing X-factor on the daily. But it isn't happening. I just don't think he can physically re-capture anywhere near that kind of performance, even if he had the desire and determination to try to bring it back - which he doesn't appear to have.

I seriously cannot believe anyone is entertaining Luke Brooks. I will play halfback if we're that desperate.

Johnson is the best of a pretty woeful set of options. As has been said above, he is still very dangerous if given a platform to operate and he would be working with a strong half partner for the first time in his career. But, again, he'll be 31 this year and has had a number of pretty big injuries. It's a short-term plan at best. And it's not an auto-premiership contender play either.

Not sure what the solution is but I don't think it's coming out of this list of candidates.
No solution = Sam Williams. Why don't people get this. There's no null option

I can see us getting someone like Brodie Croft. If that happens then we're officially back to the mid 2000s Raiders.

Actually there's one other I'd give a big no to: Moses Mbye
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Brodie Croft would be a **** buy. If we're going with the youth option, let's look at one of the younger rookies who hasn't yet proved to be a plodder.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

1- Hynes
2-
3- CNK
4 - Kris
5-
6 - Wighton
7- Hodgson
8-
9- Starling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 11, 2021, 5:45 pm Brodie Croft would be a **** buy. If we're going with the youth option, let's look at one of the younger rookies who hasn't yet proved to be a plodder.
Not a fan but you’ve probably heard the same thing I’ve heard...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

GreenMachine wrote: May 11, 2021, 6:43 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 11, 2021, 5:45 pm Brodie Croft would be a **** buy. If we're going with the youth option, let's look at one of the younger rookies who hasn't yet proved to be a plodder.
Not a fan but you’ve probably heard the same thing I’ve heard...
I haven't heard anything, that was just a general comment in response to his name being tossed around.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Croft was a good gamble for the Broncos a few years ago, those are the sort of gambles we should consider taking now... young guys who have flashed but for whatever reason are out of favour at their current club, i cant think of many of those guys off hand... if the Broncos get Reynolds and are intent on playing Staggs at 5/8th Dearden is probably going to be available... if we cant land a proven player or a better pedigree kid, that's the sort of gamble you might take.

But the Croft gamble has been made and lost, we dont need to double down on a losing ticket
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Kyle Flanagan? Struggling to get a game with wooden spooners would mean the price is right. He’s certainly a project player but he is only 22 and has had experience at Chooks, Sharks and Doggies. Maybe in the right structure he might be worth a punt if it was a discounted reduced for quick sale price.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 6:58 pm Croft was a good gamble for the Broncos a few years ago, those are the sort of gambles we should consider taking now... young guys who have flashed but for whatever reason are out of favour at their current club, i cant think of many of those guys off hand... if the Broncos get Reynolds and are intent on playing Staggs at 5/8th Dearden is probably going to be available... if we cant land a proven player or a better pedigree kid, that's the sort of gamble you might take.

But the Croft gamble has been made and lost, we dont need to double down on a losing ticket
Dearden has signed at the cowboys hasnt he?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:01 pm
Dearden has signed at the cowboys hasnt he?
Just googled it, yep he has
missed that one... well scrape him

But that sort of player is the type of gamble that would be worth taking if we cant find a proven option to replace George.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Kyle Flanagan would be emotionally destroyed if he gets canned by a second club in two years lol. Not that I'd say no, I think he's got potential
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 6:58 pm Croft was a good gamble for the Broncos a few years ago, those are the sort of gambles we should consider taking now... young guys who have flashed but for whatever reason are out of favour at their current club, i cant think of many of those guys off hand... if the Broncos get Reynolds and are intent on playing Staggs at 5/8th Dearden is probably going to be available... if we cant land a proven player or a better pedigree kid, that's the sort of gamble you might take.

Exactly my thoughts on Croft. Dearden would be a great buy for us but he already signed with the Cowboys. The young halves still unsigned for next year are Tanah Boyd, Paul Turner, Phoenix Crossland, Cooper Johns - all 20/21 years old.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:06 pm Kyle Flanagan would be emotionally destroyed if he gets canned by a second club in two years lol. Not that I'd say no, I think he's got potential
With halves, i generally write a guy off after his second club... if he cant figure it out at two different clubs, it's unlikely he'll figure it out at a third
Flanagan is in the Croft zone for me... im not interested in buying someone elses losing lotto ticket.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:11 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:06 pm Kyle Flanagan would be emotionally destroyed if he gets canned by a second club in two years lol. Not that I'd say no, I think he's got potential
With halves, i generally write a guy off after his second club... if he cant figure it out at two different clubs, it's unlikely he'll figure it out at a third
Flanagan is in the Croft zone for me... im not interested in buying someone elses losing lotto ticket.
I reckon Flanagan got dudded badly at the Roosters and not sure sharks and doggies have helped him much. I agree with CM that his confidence would be shot but at 22 years of age there is plenty of time to build him up.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

As a general rule I'd agree, but it's a dud market and we're a dud buyer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:18 pm As a general rule I'd agree, but it's a dud market and we're a dud buyer
Sadly, that's very fair.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

The thing is with our squad right now we probably don't need a whole lot of tweaking to be back up and competitive with the top sides. Improve general fitness and our back 5 and I don't think we need a top level superstar half to be able to challenge over the next couple years. Just like we did with Sezer.

So it depends on what our goals are now. If we want to still try and win the comp over the next couple years then we may be better off going for someone solid yet unspectacular with experience to show it and who can do a job without breaking the bank. Improving the back 5 may happen through nothing more than natural progression if Rapana and Croker aren't here next year. We may not even have to do much recruitment in that area if the young guys coming through can do the job.

However, if we really think our window is closed and its full rebuild time then yeah its looking at the younger guys we can roll the dice on and see who we think we can develop. If that's our thinking then it might be a case of looking at some other key positions like fullback along with half.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Luke Brooks? $400,000 maximum would be his actual value.

Kyle Flanagan. Boy, I feel sorry for the poor kid, for all sorts of reasons. But why on earth did the Bulldogs hang him out to dry in front of the media today? You’d have to think any other club would be looking after him better. Maybe except the Roosters.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:09 pm

Exactly my thoughts on Croft. Dearden would be a great buy for us but he already signed with the Cowboys. The young halves still unsigned for next year are Tanah Boyd, Paul Turner, Phoenix Crossland, Cooper Johns - all 20/21 years old.
Turner has apparently signed with the Titans although im not sure if it has been officially announced yet. Probably makes tanah Boyd very gettable. He was fairly well rated a couple of years ago wasnt he? Has never really been given a proper crack/extended run starting so while he's not proven at least hes not a proven dud i suppose
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:09 pm

Destroyer of Halves would be licking his lips at that lot
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I agree Kyle Flanagan hasnt really gotten a very good run of things with either the roosters or bulldogs, but part of that, and maybe a big part is... he's not very good?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:06 pm I agree Kyle Flanagan hasnt really gotten a very good run of things with either the roosters or bulldogs, but part of that, and maybe a big part is... he's not very good?
He showed a lot of potential in the lower grade games I saw him play at the Sharks. I agree he's been average to poor in the NRL. But I'm wondering if he's in the wrong systems. Not many players would look good if they were parachuted into the Bulldogs team.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:22 pm
Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:06 pm I agree Kyle Flanagan hasnt really gotten a very good run of things with either the roosters or bulldogs, but part of that, and maybe a big part is... he's not very good?
He showed a lot of potential in the lower grade games I saw him play at the Sharks. I agree he's been average to poor in the NRL. But I'm wondering if he's in the wrong systems. Not many players would look good if they were parachuted into the Bulldogs team.
Fair about the Dogs, but he was parachuted into an absolutely star studded roosters team and was awful. You can look at the way he handled that and how Sam Walker has handled it and immediately you know he aint got it.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Billy Walker wrote: May 11, 2021, 7:00 pm Kyle Flanagan? Struggling to get a game with wooden spooners would mean the price is right. He’s certainly a project player but he is only 22 and has had experience at Chooks, Sharks and Doggies. Maybe in the right structure he might be worth a punt if it was a discounted reduced for quick sale price.
There’s a reason he hasn’t been able to nail down the #7 at three consecutive clubs in three consecutive seasons - he’s really not very good at all.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

He passes the attitude test. Disgraceful the Dogs put him in front of the presser today and nobody stepped up to help him. He owned his form and spoke with genuine maturity.

That said if Botman is right and he’s a lost cause that all counts for little but he’s young, is still learning his craft and I recall Johns had big Raps on him. I’m tempted...
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm not even saying he'll be a star or anything. But if it's him or SWilly, he has more upside. So it's a yes from me

A harder question is him or Pearce

At this stage I'd go
1. Pearce
2. Milf
3. Flanno
4. Sezer

and the rest ie Mybe, Croft are all no's. Reynolds and SJ won't come here so not factored in
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: May 11, 2021, 8:52 pm
He passes the attitude test. Disgraceful the Dogs put him in front of the presser today and nobody stepped up to help him. He owned his form and spoke with genuine maturity.

That said if Botman is right and he’s a lost cause that all counts for little but he’s young, is still learning his craft and I recall Johns had big Raps on him. I’m tempted...
Johns! Johns is the worst judge of a footballer Ive ever seen. Johns had McCrone in line for Origin. Decent player. Dead set awful commentator, recruiter etc. I'm yet to hear of a young player Joey doesn't put bigs wraps on. He probably started the Hors for Origin talk.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 11, 2021, 5:42 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: May 11, 2021, 5:11 pm If we got Reynolds right now, that'd be great. We could probably contend for a premiership this year. But anything more than beyond next season is too long for me.

No solution = Sam Williams. Why don't people get this. There's no null option

I can see us getting someone like Brodie Croft. If that happens then we're officially back to the mid 2000s Raiders.

Actually there's one other I'd give a big no to: Moses Mbye
I get that without a solution, we don’t have a lot of options in our existing squad. I said “Not sure what the solution is but I don't think it's coming out of this list of candidates.”

I agree with subsequent comments about going after a younger half who might fall out of another system or is lower in the pecking order and aiming for a starting gig. Far better than chasing older, injured halves who we’ll have to sign for more years than they’ll be able to contribute.

I doubt very much that Sam Williams will be our halfback next year no matter how diabolical our recruitment is. My sense is he’s already being transitioned into an off-field role.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Flanagans issue is no running game and makes a fair few kick errors without enough forced drop pouts or 40/20s to show for it.

Brooks is interesting. His stats in attack and defence aren't actually bad at all. He certainly used to be a poor defender so I wonder if he's improved a bit or if Tigers are much better at hiding him under Madge. Perhaps both. Interesting mainly because I've never seen him in another system- that can sometimes have a big influence on a halfs career.

Milf- hell no. He was an exciting willow-the-wisp fullback once but that was a decade ago. He's not that player any more. Never will be.

Johnson- hates Canberra. Plays less matches every year for the last 5 years... downward spiral.

Reynolds- in a heartbeat but probably deep in negotiations elsewhere.

Sezer- What?? Last time he was here Sammy Williams kept forcing him out of the side and he's since steered Huddersfield to... nowhere.

Other options- manufacture Hodgo? Risky.

Throw an offer at Croft or Dearden? Would also leave some cap for back 5 positions.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I haven't really watched much of Hutchison or Lam... any good?

Lam is contracted next year, but would think roo$ters would extend Walker, then Lam would only play when Walker or Keary are injured (I guess that's most of next season then)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m not totally convinced our 7 next year won’t still be George Williams. I get that we are shaped by history and historically (as recently as Bateman) its not long between the first sign of smoke to the smouldering ashes of a contract, but maybe just once this one might resolve in our favour. Perhaps I’m totally kidding myself but who knows - stranger things have happened.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2021, 9:11 am I’m not totally convinced our 7 next year won’t still be George Williams. I get that we are shaped by history and historically (as recently as Bateman) its not long between the first sign of smoke to the smouldering ashes of a contract, but maybe just once this one might resolve in our favour. Perhaps I’m totally kidding myself but who knows - stranger things have happened.
I dont think there is any chance he's here next year. He's already rumoured to have agreed to a deal with Wigan. If thats where we're at, his mind is made up and he's gone.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2021, 9:11 am I’m not totally convinced our 7 next year won’t still be George Williams. I get that we are shaped by history and historically (as recently as Bateman) its not long between the first sign of smoke to the smouldering ashes of a contract, but maybe just once this one might resolve in our favour. Perhaps I’m totally kidding myself but who knows - stranger things have happened.
I still hold a candle out for it, because it ain't over 'til it's over.

Perhaps the lure of an upgraded contract may be enough to tip the scales and get them through until regular international travel between here and the UK resumes. He's reportedly on around 500-600k now, but the club would make that 850-900 in a pinch.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: May 12, 2021, 9:19 am
I still hold a candle out for it, because it ain't over 'til it's over.

Perhaps the lure of an upgraded contract may be enough to tip the scales and get them through until regular international travel between here and the UK resumes. He's reportedly on around 500-600k now, but the club would make that 850-900 in a pinch.
I feel like reading through all the other potential replacements we would be spending a lot more with no firm guarantees of greater return. Canberra is a good place to raise a child and if we need to open the cheque book to get his partner and mother in law out here - perhaps relocate the family corgis - whatever, make him an offer he can’t refuse Don.

Maybe he was never even homesick but has a smart manager who has assessed the current halves market and this whole situation has been wisely manufactured to get him the money he deserves ahead of his next scheduled round of negotiations?