38%
Bulldogs 13+
No votes

Total votes: 8

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 10 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Ennis saying on Big League Wrap that the difference between the Papalii and Su'A incidents is not 3-5 weeks versus a fine.

Incidentally, the NRL only recently brought IN fines to ensure that players did not miss matches for "minor" incidents.

And now...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Again, you can't divorce the action from the result

If i get behind the wheel when I'm high range, and I crash into a pole, I'm going to lose my license and be fined heavily
If i get behind the wheel when I'm high range, and I crash into a family and kill one of them, I'm going to jail

If i punch some random dude on the street, and the result is a black eye, I'll get charged with assault but I'd never see the inside of a cell.
If i punch some random dude on the street, and the blow kills him, I'm going to jail.

S'ua hit a guy high and he barely noticed it, Papalii hit a guy high and the dude suffered a brain injury.
The outcome of your actions matter.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:09 pm Ennis saying on Big League Wrap that the difference between the Papalii and Su'A incidents is not 3-5 weeks versus a fine.

Incidentally, the NRL only recently brought IN fines to ensure that players did not miss matches for "minor" incidents.

And now...
Agree GE.
The consistency is all over the shop and watch it get worse now that Mr Rugba Lee has come out basically saying the referees were over zealous...
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

GreenMachine wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:59 am
greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:09 pm Ennis saying on Big League Wrap that the difference between the Papalii and Su'A incidents is not 3-5 weeks versus a fine.

And now...
Agree GE.
The consistency is all over the shop and watch it get worse now that Mr Rugba Lee has come out basically saying the referees were over zealous...
Yup. Change the interpretation on a few days notice and then critique the referees is a strange one. This is obvious cause and effect.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I heard a funny analogy that f1 wouldn't put speed humps in to stop speed related crashes.
NRL and fans wanted a cleaner ruck, so they brought in the 6 again but now the coaches have worked out how to manipulate that so they go sin bin mad.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

bonehead wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:29 am I heard a funny analogy that f1 wouldn't put speed humps in to stop speed related crashes.
NRL and fans wanted a cleaner ruck, so they brought in the 6 again but now the coaches have worked out how to manipulate that so they go sin bin mad.

They do a helluva lot of other things to make the sport safer though, many of which people believe is against the 'spirit' of racing.

They have gone through constant change and refinement, just like us.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:20 am Again, you can't divorce the action from the result

If i get behind the wheel when I'm high range, and I crash into a pole, I'm going to lose my license and be fined heavily
If i get behind the wheel when I'm high range, and I crash into a family and kill one of them, I'm going to jail

If i punch some random dude on the street, and the result is a black eye, I'll get charged with assault but I'd never see the inside of a cell.
If i punch some random dude on the street, and the blow kills him, I'm going to jail.

S'ua hit a guy high and he barely noticed it, Papalii hit a guy high and the dude suffered a brain injury.
The outcome of your actions matter.
Exactly right. Outcome has to be an influence on the penalty. Looks at other send off incidents on the weekend. Fuimaono high shot on Papenhuyzen saw a player taken off the field on a medicab. Ese'ese high shot resulted in a cranky winger. No way they get the same charge.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 11:40 am
bonehead wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:29 am I heard a funny analogy that f1 wouldn't put speed humps in to stop speed related crashes.

They do a helluva lot of other things to make the sport safer though, many of which people believe is against the 'spirit' of racing.

Yep, speed bumps for F1 is a pretty poor analogy, even if it's tongue in cheek.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: May 17, 2021, 11:47 am

Especially when you consider that in effect they've always put in plenty of 'speed bumps' - they're just called chicanes.

Putting in actual speed humps would be potentially dangerous and damaging to F1 cars.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 11:51 am

Especially when you consider that in effect they've always put in plenty of 'speed bumps' - they're just called chicanes.

Putting in actual speed humps would be potentially dangerous and damaging to F1 cars.
F1 introducing speed bumps would be more like NRL sending players out in these.

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Correct. Helmets, seat belts, monocoque chassis', fuel cells, HANS devices, HALOs. Constant change to make it safer.

Being in a vehicle going over 300km/h is inherently dangerous if it goes wrong and this is accepted. It doesn't mean you don't make adjustments to improve safety.

F1 drivers have survived impacts at 46G, because of their safety equipment.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

f1 is an interesting comparison because if it was just left unregulated there would be some pretty crazy fast cars out there. The regulations are supposed to slow the cars down. The 2021 regulations were to reduce downforce to lower cornering speed which the FIA argued had gotten too fast in 2020. So pole times are about 1.5 seconds slower than 2020 at the moment. Its a constant battle between engineers and the rule makers with the rule makers trying to slow the teams down.

I made the argument on LU that the current rules are very much like a big regulation change in f1. The storm and the panthers are like Mercedes at the start of the hybrid era where they have the perfect team for the rules that were randomly decided upon after Covid last year. We do not have the team to take advantage of the new rules
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

If F1 was left unregulated humans simply wouldn't be able to drive the cars by themselves :lol: It'd be beyond their senses and innate capabilities.

Would need a heavy dose of AI to help control it in order to operate properly.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

afgtnk wrote:

Yeah this is true. Look at Bathurst when they put the chicane in at the end of Conrod to slow cars down, or the multiple chicanes they put in at Monza.

That said, old man Bernie did pitch artificially wetting the track to add excitement to the races
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

10. Canberra Raiders (12)
Sometimes you just need to win, it doesn't matter what it looks like. And Canberra had to deal with adversity to beat the Bulldogs. But looking at their draw - they play the Storm and Roosters before having a bye - if the Raiders lose the next two games I've still got them missing the eight. Their win didn't inspire me that they'll go on a run.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/17/sow ... -drifting/

PLAY OF THE WEEK: Scott changes the momentum: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... -momentum/
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

sOwArD hAtEs uS!!!!!1
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The F1 drivers also all hated the halo, called it hideous, swore it ruined things, swore it was meaningless...

And then Romain Grosjean was saved from certain death only six months ago by it. Funny how quickly a lot of them changed their tune after that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 3:31 pm sOwArD hAtEs uS!!!!!1
I’m actually surprised he moved us up a couple of spots... did he watch that dribble on the weekend? We were EDIT!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:sOwArD hAtEs uS!!!!!1
He does, and we’re ****.

Plus he’s **** at trivia.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

To be fair to Soward, he isnt alone, i also hate us.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:09 pm To be fair to Soward, he isnt alone, i also hate us.
I queried the background to this last year when I noticed that he didn't tip us in games like when we played Canterbury, the worst side in the comp. Greeneyed tells us there is a history when Ricky was at the Roosters and he was there .... All we have to do is shut him up, win well, and esp beat his Dragons; I believe he is a consultant there to Griffin like Matt Elliott
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:40 pm
Botman wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:09 pm To be fair to Soward, he isnt alone, i also hate us.
I queried the background to this last year when I noticed that he didn't tip us in games like when we played Canterbury, the worst side in the comp. Greeneyed tells us there is a history when Ricky was at the Roosters and he was there .... All we have to do is shut him up, win well, and esp beat his Dragons; I believe he is a consultant there to Griffin like Matt Elliott
I think the issue is that he was a Raiders junior, born in Canberra, played juniors in the Riverina, and he was not retained.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:To be fair to Soward, he isnt alone, i also hate us.
Ditto, **** the Raiders

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
I think the issue is that he was a Raiders junior, born in Canberra, played juniors in the Riverina, and he was not retained.
Didn't he get insane money to sign with the Roosters SG Ball side?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Haha, the F1 analogy is glorious.

In 1994 after Sennas and Roland Ratzenburgers death at Imola, F1 decided it couldn’t change the regulations fast enough to limit the chances of a reoccurrence of the Senna incident (still under investigation at the time) and added temporary chicanes to both the Barcelona circuit and the famous Eau Rougue corner at Spa to - you guessed it - reduce the chances of speed related crashes.

They also later that year made a huge change to the technical regulations that added a timber section, known as ‘the plank’ to the underside of the floor to ensure that the floors had to ride at a minimum height to limit the amount of ground effect downforce that a car could generate, limiting the chances of aerodynamic decoupling and snap downforce reactions similar to that seen in the Senna incident. The plank became even more controversial when Schumacher had his measured post Spa and a section of it was under the allowable tolerance due to a spin sideways over a saw tooth kerb. The battle for reinstating his lost points became crucial in the hunt for his first world championship win that year.

So... in the space of a year they inserted the real world version of speed humps (tempo array tyre chicanes), made a radical technical change mid season, the adaptation to which had a major bearing on the outcome of the championship.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: May 18, 2021, 6:50 am
greeneyed wrote:

My memory is a bit foggy on it, his Wikipedia article suggests it was Flegg. I think the hope was the Raiders would compete to retain him... but the club wasn’t willing.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Coastalraider wrote:Haha, the F1 analogy is glorious.

In 1994 after Sennas and Roland Ratzenburgers death at Imola, F1 decided it couldn’t change the regulations fast enough to limit the chances of a reoccurrence of the Senna incident (still under investigation at the time) and added temporary chicanes to both the Barcelona circuit and the famous Eau Rougue corner at Spa to - you guessed it - reduce the chances of speed related crashes.

They also later that year made a huge change to the technical regulations that added a timber section, known as ‘the plank’ to the underside of the floor to ensure that the floors had to ride at a minimum height to limit the amount of ground effect downforce that a car could generate, limiting the chances of aerodynamic decoupling and snap downforce reactions similar to that seen in the Senna incident. The plank became even more controversial when Schumacher had his measured post Spa and a section of it was under the allowable tolerance due to a spin sideways over a saw tooth kerb. The battle for reinstating his lost points became crucial in the hunt for his first world championship win that year.

So... in the space of a year they inserted the real world version of speed humps (tempo array tyre chicanes), made a radical technical change mid season, the adaptation to which had a major bearing on the outcome of the championship.
Wasn't that the final straw for straights no longer than 2km on GP circuits?

I know Mike Burgmann dying at Bathurst after his car flipped the barrier on Conrod made them put the chase in

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2021, 7:22 am
T_R wrote: May 18, 2021, 6:50 am
greeneyed wrote:

My memory is a bit foggy on it, his Wikipedia article suggests it was Flegg. I think the hope was the Raiders would compete to retain him... but the club wasn’t willing.
It was indeed the Flegg side. From my own very hazy memory, they paid him $100k to move before he'd even played reserve grade... insane money back then.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.